Portugal!

coko

Prince
Last night I finished the UHV on Monarch, in rather easy fashion! In fact I hadn't intented to really achieve it, just give it a go and see where I went wrong. However things worked out well!

Things I remember!

I went straight for Optics, while sending all 3 settlers to northern africa, and settling what would of been Cathage in old times. I then moved all but one worker across, to get it all built up, and all but two crossbowmen to defend from natives.

When I got compass I built an explorer at capital, (all others were slave whipping my basics of Library/Courthouse/Market), and set him to randomly explore. With everyone I met I'd give them a free tech and then try and get open borders, or at the very least pay for their maps.

When I hit Optics, I converted by Triem to their UU and whipped a settle into it. I then whipped UU's at two other locations and sent them with troops to Aztecs and Incas. So settled Brazil and made it start a settler itself, while two of my places were making settlers. Managed to get Mali as a free Vassal, they just offered it randomly.

Moved to researching paper for those Civ's that didn't have it, and then onto Economics (I was behind in research but I knew if I got Uni's early could get back!) I was probably settling South America every couple of turns at this point.

Aztec's would capitulate (I just wanted Vassal Open Borders!) so I killed them and left defenders to herd the mass of Natives, Incas gave up when I reached their capital and capitulated!

I had 2 UU's go opposite ways to reach and get me +1, and then I set them to explore and get me more maps from Asia (as my explorer hit the edge of explorable terrain as Russia/Turkey didn't like me!)

I had a bit of a scare with open borders as German collapsed, and it looked like France might too, but they held on, and with 10 colony's done before 1500's I was comfortable and just ensured I kept the open borders, and didn't annoy anyone!

Easy to do. :) Maybe too easy.

The only real problem I had with Portugal was having Spain on my border. Keep Spain happy and the UHV is relatively speaking easy. Having the Azures and slave rushing settlers from there also helps. There is something satisfying about founding a horde of colonies in Brazil too. I even managed to get the Forbidden City in Rio and the Summer Palace in Brasilia.

Ditto! I might try it on Emporer but to me it seems a very easy UHV, maybe because it is very peaceful, I'd like to see maybe a few natives in South America, if that is realistic, because presently I can just drop settlers with no fear of them being taken.

Portugal didn't fight with the natives... they really did a lot of sex with them... XD :crazyeye:

Spain that was the problem... killing everybody :p

:joke:

Spain had more warlike and more fierce foes than Portugal so it's understandable. Of course it was very cruel, but understandable.
Spain had to take on Inca and Aztecs while Portugal only had to encounter some tribal villages.

That's why I suggest there should be more panthers in S-America!

Mmmm, suppose, just seems far to easy to colonize!

Playing Portugal in 1655 I did not get any action on the second requirement. I have open border agreements with 10 civs as of 1645, but it shows "not yet".

Top Bottom