Post a (tough) Deity map for me to play

Lain

King
Overview of games played so far. Bit spoilery with map setting and type of attack used, but useful if you are looking for a particular strategy employed (HA rush, for example). Not spoiling results.

Spoiler :

Game 1 (Boudica): Isolation. Attack with Artillery

Game 2 (Peter): Semi-Isolation. Attack with Cannons

Game 3 (Sury): Pangaea. Attack with Cuirs

Game 4 (Mansa): Pangaea. Attack with Cuirs

Game 5 (Hannibal): Isolation. Attack with Cannons

Game 6 (Cyrus): Pangaea. Attack with Cuirs

Game 7 (Elizabeth): Semi-Isolation. Attack with Cannons.

Game 8 (Sitting Bull): Pangaea All-Warmongers. Construction rush.

Game 9 (Genghis Khan): Pangaea, bigger map. Construction rush.

Game 10 (Louis): K-Mod, Immortal Difficulty. Construction attack.

Game 11 (Stalin): Semi-Isolation. Attack with Cannons.

Game 12 (Mao): Continents. Attack with Cannons.

Game 13 (Brennus): Islands/Continents. Attack with Horse Archers/Construction.

Game 14 (Kublai): Continents. Attack with Cuirs.

Game 15 (Frederick): Semi-Isolation with warmonger. Construction rush.

Game 16 (Ramesses): Pangaea. Construction rush.

Game 17 (Tokugawa): Isolation. Attack with Cannons.

Game 18 (Joao): Islands/Continents mix. Horse Archer rush.

Game 19 (Lincoln): Continents. Construction rush.

Game 20 (Catherine): Pangaea. Cossack rush.

Game 21 (Shaka): Continents. Attack with Cannons.

Game 22 (Montezuma): Pangaea. Construction rush.

Game 23 (Justinian): Pangaea. Horse Archer rush.

Game 24 (Gilgamesh): Isolation. Attack with Cannons.

Game 25 (Asoka): Pangaea. Attack with Cuirs.

Game 26 (Boudica): Own continent, enemies on Pangaea. Attack with Cannons.

Game 27 (Wang Kon): Continents, big map, cooked for extra difficulty. Construction rush.

Game 28 (Isabella): Pangaea. Attack with Conqs.

Game 29 (Saladin): Pangaea. Construction rush.

Game 30 (Ragnar): Isolation. Attack with Amphibious Grenadiers.

Game 31 (Pacal): Continents. Construction rush.

Game 32 (Hatshepsut): Fantasy Realm without tech trading. Construction rush.

Game 33 (Sury): Continents, own island with early contact. Attack with Cannons.

Game 34 (Willem): Continents. Attack with Cannons.

Game 35 (Mansa): Pangaea. Attack with Cuirs.

Game 36 (Darius): Inland Sea. Engineering rush.

Game 37 (Pericles): Semi-Isolation with warmonger. Horse Archer rush.

Game 38 (Suleiman): Isolation without tech trading. Cavalry rush.

Game 39 (Lincoln): Pangaea. Cuirs attack.

Game 40 (Saladin): Continents. Cuirs attack.

Game 41 (Gilgamesh): Pangaea. Cuirs attack.

Game 42 (Alexander): Pangaea with Random Events. Cuirs attack.

Game 43 (Zara Yakob): ???

As the title says. I am looking for map suggestions I could record a LP on. Instead of rolling purely random maps, I want to involve the community a bit. I also want to avoid rolling maps myself since I might end up with something too easy or inappropriate (e.g: two isolation maps in a row). Maybe you are an aspiring Deity player and want to share a starting save from a game you are currently playing. Or a seasoned veteran who wants to see me crash and burn. Maybe dig up an old save from 2009 which nobody beat and I am not aware of. It doesn't matter.

Also, different strategies and approaches could be discussed here. Maybe I can use this thread similarly to the Isolation Workshop one. To put current games up for discussion and shadowing. To record progress. Bullpen-like.

Since I can't play everything simultaneously, I will put the various maps up for vote on my channel at different points in time. I will probably still do most of the new NC ones and the odd isolation game.

I would ask to keep it within the following settings:

Map type: Mainly Fractal/Continents/Pangaea ... or something more exotic, but I want to avoid stuff like Highlands where I end up with 30 cities. Don't want to upload 20 episodes. It doesn't really make for good viewing either when turns take hours later.

Map size: Standard. For the same reasons.

Sealevel: Medium or High. Because ^

Speed: Normal

Difficulty: Deity

Huts and Events turned off.

And MOST importantly: Not cooked in any way. Naturally generated. To avoid artificial situations that are not representative. I don't want to play for 10 hours to find Darius has a continent with 40 cities to his own. I am also scared of the sadistic tendencies some posters have displayed in the past ;). Maybe avoid isolation ones, as to avoid overlap with the other thread.

Everything else default (could think about mixing it up later, but default for now), stuff like climate/civ can be random.

Optionally give a (very general, non-spoilerish) hint as to why the map could be worth playing. Or let the starting position speak for itself :lol:. Would help with the voting process. I wholeheartedly invite plains cow starts. Those are the most fun. So do your worst.

(Also, I probably can't open saves that are created with BAT mod and stuff).

Last edited:
Gotcha !

Suleiman, Hemispheres, High sea level, 2 continents, everything else standard.

The start :
Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

Great leader / starting position but it scales well with the overall map difficulty.
There should be several ways to play out this map, but some might be more fun/rewarding than others :devil:

Oh and of course no edits were made, 100% natural home-grown organic map :lol:

Have fun :goodjob:

Attachments

• Sully BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    38.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
This should be very interesting, looking forward to some LPs from this topic!

Are you willing to play donut maps? I've only ever seen one donut map LP by AZ (I think its the Mehmed game, maybe Deity 41?) but back in the day (10 years ago when I was a total noob playing on Chieftain) I used to play those a lot and I still think theres a lot you can do with those maps and they can play out in a very unique way.

Picked up an idea from the past, Sitting Bully vs. Warmongers (think that was from Kossin or Duckweed) ;)
First start i rolled, looks nice enuf
Spoiler :
Pangea with all standard, and nopes it's not BAT i just use Blue Marble with my normal version..hope it works :)

Attachments

• warmongers.jpg
    warmongers.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 5,808
  • AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    28.8 KB · Views: 228
^ Warmongers : Kossin's map, that it was.
I can remember toying a great deal with it, until I could optimize something silly and frankly inefficient like t67 Oracle --> Paper :crazyeye:

If I recall well, you were the only player to drive that map to a win.

That first one can't possibly be difficult. I played some starting turns and there's nothing immediate that strikes me. Furthermore it's Suleiman, which is the #1 leader for the engineering lightbulb with a landlocked start WITH IVORY!

gg no re

landlocked start WITH IVORY!

Engineering lightbulb does indeed make this map quite easy, but it's always fun to watch on video, and I'm sure it would be educational for many less experienced players who aren't familiar with this kind of strategy

How about a kmod game, see how the improved ai can be beaten. Beware AZs LP of it though, you need to switch a bunch of bug options on.

Suleiman's map :
I must be doing it wrong, I cannot see an Engineering bulb happening, here.
Maybe an Academy is affordable but even that seems like a great ordeal. There's just not so many options !!!
@ 1760 BC :
Spoiler :

Tech path : Myst, Hunt, Min, BW, Med, PH, Writ ?
A little dissatisfied with the Capital's location as it is. I'd have settled on turn 3 if it meant working corn, wheat, gold.

Fun fact : Edirne and Ankara started gathering food on the same turn.
Oracle CoL, settle gems, trade for Alpha when it's available.
Maybe super-production capital enables BC-ish agression ? Or shrine Confusionism ? If only there were strategic resources lying around, the future would be better tomorrow.

Last edited:
@bic
Spoiler :

Well... I thought the AI would expand quite a bit faster than that, I'd have expected them to all have 5-7 cities by that time... why so much irony?

Oh and getting this many great priests might actually delay your engineering date... why stonehenge? :lol:

And technically you couldn't have worked corn+wheat+gold in the capital btw ;)

Worry not, the irony isn't targeted at anyone but at the vanity of this opener.

Spoiler :
Going all standard is certainly the better option. I suppose one could have Bronze Working, Pottery, a bulk of Writing and 5 cities by 2000 BC if he were to put his heart to it.
SH never ceases to intrigue me with PHI characters. It also opens up some interesting settling patterns. Possibly some bulbs. Although, most often the Great Prophets end up being more of a drag than a help. Oddly enough, that would make the SH a worse build with a PHI leader, since it isn't as easy to avoid the 1st Prophet.
Here, I'll really need a Scientist from one of those northern cities. Work food, get library up.

Last edited:
Indeed...
Spoiler :

I don't see many scenarios where a Great Prophet might be better than a GS, certainly not here. Haven't played the map, but your expectations seem a little bit too high. 5 cities by 2000BC is doable but you have to sacrifice your workers and therefore won't have enough commerce to get to writing so quickly. But yeah... didn't think that map would be so easy.

@unas876 Sure, Donut maps sound fun once in a while. Would be happy to try. Thanks for the suggestions so far :).

Then here's a map which should fit your requirements. IIRCC this is tropical climate with high sea level.

Spoiler :

Thats Kublai Khan. Not necessarily a great leader imo, but at least he's CRE.

Attachments

• Bearded Jigglypuff BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    23.1 KB · Views: 315
Ok I put up a map vote just now. I will save your Kublai map for the next vote, @unas876. I did generate a Donut map though. Not sure how well balanced it will be, but Donut sounds like pretty fair script either way.

@Fippy Unfortunately I couldn't open the save for some reason. Mod directory blablub, don't know :(. But your idea is really cool so I rolled another Sitting Bull start~ ofc I know the opponents now but "all warmongers" speaks for itself anyway :lol:

Top Bottom