[UNIT] PPQ unit art and questions thread

And here is another update. This time with a semi finished model. I did the base texture and most of the primary highlights but I still have to do a lot of detailing work. Also for some reason some of the bones aren't working properly so I'll have to figure that out. But anyway, not too bad for an alpha version.
Civ4ScreenShot0023.JPG

Now with more more highlights. I think this looks better. Also, that black circle is for teamcolor.
NEU.JPG

Now, this one is the GDI Mammoth tank. I fully intend to do the regular Red Alert 1 one as well as the Apocalypse later. And this is the time I'd hope to get some input from you lot on how it looks so far.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should do next? The only requirement is that it has to be challenging and out of the box. No guarantees that I'll actually do anything you tell me, but I need a pallet cleanser before going back to C&C units.

I kind of like what you were doing with the spearmen for NOD and think some generic, ancient arab hoplites would be pretty cool. That is one idea. Something the Middle Eastern peoples with contact with the Hellenistic world would have. There is also the Grizzly Warrior, an old Civ3 unit for woodlands natives:

Hmm, drones for launching drones, laser guns on buggies and flying infantry are in fashion now:D. Seriously, we are now living in the midst of another "military revolution".
Kamikaze drones are already a banality. They are not very interesting graphically, but just in case. The range is from pieces launched from a portable container
https://newsland.com/static/u/article_image/20/07/24/tmpNdaIoC.jpeg
to installations on a trailer. Usually a truck.
And a monstrous bunch of ground robots are being tested, ranging from a "machine gun on tracks" (150 + kg) to full-fledged tankettes.
https://yandex.ru/images/search?from=tabbar&text=наземные роботы
At the same time 1. Small tracked and even more wheeled vehicles have poor cross-country ability, so complex chassis
are used.

2. There are strange weapons such as mini-MLRS,
Spoiler :
60-мм mortar and launchers of the same "kamikaze".
Lasers will appear on the battlefield in the next ten years, including because of the hordes of drones. The range is from the same buggy
to laser trucks.

https://nplus1.ru/news/2019/10/16/laser
From the exotic - "Boston Dynamics" equips its "dogs",

the military is not thrilled,
the Chinese are experiencing a fairly large strider. And yes, the infantry flies, but low-low.:crazyeye:
It is only ground and about.

Last edited:
None of these is crazy enough... Like for reference I am currently working on among other things reworkng the FFH magic units to have attacks with various spell effects like lightning bolts.

I actually have a working model of that one complete with custom animations. I just need to finish some things up and can't be bothered to do them.

I am in that stage of my life when I start 100 projects at once and than can't be bothered to finish any until I get in the right mood. :)

When a unit has both melee and ranged strike animations just what triggers which? And is there an option to make ranged more common? Basically I want to make sure I am not making cool ranged animations that will rarely be seen as FFH is predominantly populated by melee units.

Range animations are mainly played when both parties are defined as "bActAsRanged", since then they will stand and shoot at each other. Once at least one of the two goes melee, the other one follows. But I think they have at least the chance to trigger one range attack before the brawl.

Are you sure it's just one? I recall seeing archers and longbows get many shots off before being forced into melee.

Could be some first strike effect. Especially since archers are not "bActAsRanged" in the vanilla game.

Also does anyone know any decent way to mod particle effects for nif files? 3D max can't even import them properly.

I added effects using NifSkope, which needs either the effect to be used in a different unit already (for copy&paste) or a bit of tinkering.

That's not what I am asking about. I want to be able to create new effects or edit existing ones substantially. Like say taking a particle system effect like the flamethrower and changing how the particles behave, their number etc. Doing that in nifscope is painful to the point that I can't do it.

Top Bottom