Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

Lord_Iggy said:
That's a rather negative way to end a great NES.

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

So speaking poorly of a closed NES... is necessary? Sorry, it's 4:00 AM and I think that my incomprehension is a sign of my need to go to sleep. Night!

BananaLee said:
Two wrongs also don't make a right.

Sorry mate, I don't view calling bollocks on a load of ignorance and misinterpretation of what something is about a wrong. If you do, well then the people here 'badmouthing' this game are the other lot.

Jesus, just stop being an asshat for one second. This was a fun game, we had our disagreements, the end.

Imo, Masada's attempting to take Symphony's mantle of both excessive arguments and snarkiness. :p Nothing personal of course.

Colonial population and industrial growth models from Earth disprove the "baww the colonies will nevar be strong" argument. And has anyone considered the underlying difficulties of maintaining a united federation of over 100 different cultural and linguistic entities without any separate agendas or ideals fracturing it AT ALL EVER?

But I'm not really willing to dredge up quantitative data, as I'm lazy I have more productive things to do.

It was a great NES, Chand.

If Chand has something to say about it, I'll defer to him. Otherwise, I don't feel like continuing an argument that won't do anything but turn into ad hominem attacks.

Also, I want to see a ChaNES II of some sort.

Azale said:
Jesus, just stop being an asshat for one second. This was a fun game, we had our disagreements, the end.

Golly gee princess, I call people to account and suddenly I'm the big bad ogre?

Thlayli said:
Colonial population and industrial growth models from Earth disprove the "baww the colonies will nevar be strong" argument. And has anyone considered the underlying difficulties of maintaining a united federation of over 100 different cultural and linguistic entities without any separate agendas or ideals fracturing it AT ALL EVER?

Thlayli, sure if you want to ignore scale -- then yes, America might apply. It doesn't however, to support a full industrialized economy at present levels requires billions of people doing millions of different jobs. Even a pencil requires a degree of technical complexity simply beyond any society of less than a few million, assuming they had all the requisite technical knowledge and capital goods -- which they probably won't. I can exhaustively go through the reasons why they won't develop, Dutch Diseases, lack of incentive, low real labor force participation, high costs in labor and capital (both of which need to be imported from elsewhere), the inability to trade and a myriad of other factors which presuppose strength by any measure you care to look at. I'm also sure that in your world the United States and the European Union don't exist.

But that's fine, suggest some improvements, I personally like the scare resources 'spice' idea, myself.

Thlayli said:
It was a great NES, Chand.

I agree completely. Chandrasekhar went for realism, achieved some significant measure of it and when it started to ossify, he wouldn't sell his principles to please the masses.

Supermath said:
If Chand has something to say about it, I'll defer to him. Otherwise, I don't feel like continuing an argument that won't do anything but turn into ad hominem attacks.

Bring em' on?

I have to say I agree with Masada. It would be a long time, if ever that inter system combat would take place, so mostly this was internal development with a massive focus on Sol. Not that I minded, I loved playing Bacchus.

Sorry mate, I don't view calling bollocks on a load of ignorance and misinterpretation of what something is about a wrong. If you do, well then the people here 'badmouthing' this game are the other lot.

Nah, but being a dick over a NES which is declared dead over and over again is the wrong.

If you want to call out on wrong things to satisfy your desire to beat easy targets down, I'm sure there's heaps of things in real life you could be a dick about to. Better still, join Parliament and you can earn $110,000 a year doing that plus allowances and subsidies.

Point is, you're trying to be Symphony and failing at it. At least your predecessor obsessively-compulsively made random things like maps and doctrines. The last I checked, that mantle was taken by flyingchicken. You just took the "oh dear, I'm such a little Richard I need to call people out for something which is pointless".

In sum, you got the bad things of Symph, without any of the good things. So please, no one likes a dick. And no one likes a copycat dick.

This might be an interesting/entertaining time to point out that the Independent Republic of Carmenta was actually a side-project, sponsored and encouraged by the anarcho-syndicalist pirate group which I was really running, the Astartes Collective.

It was this group which procured the material for the nuclear detonation over Carmenta, in addition to other operations. Last of all, the group was funded and supported by none other than Orion Industries, NK's humble terraforming conglomerate.

Spoiler Some stuff you might find interesting :
Thlayli said:
TRANSFER: 100,000,000,000 units of IntCom currency.

SOURCE: CENTRAL INTCOM FINANCIAL FACILITIES, GENEVA SWITZERLAND: ARCTUS KING ACCOUNT 0034
REROUTE: SECOND NATIONAL BANK, HONG KONG, INSTITUTIONAL BANK OF BERN, FIRST NATIONAL DEPOSITORY OF BACCHUS
DESTINATION: ERROR

TRANSFER IN PROGRESS.....TRANSFER IN PROGRESS....TRANSFER COMPLETE

---

TRANSFER: 5,000,000,000 units of IntCom currency.
SOURCE: ASTARTES COLLECTIVE
REROUTE: INSTITUTIONAL BANKING FACILITIES, BACCHUS
DESTINATION: ALVARIAN AEROSPACE SOLUTIONS ACCOUNT 005281

PURCHASE: 5 CORVETTE CLASS LIGHT TRANSPORT

---

TRANSFER: 25,000,000,000 units of IntCom Currency
REROUTE: INSTITUTIONAL BANKING FACILITIES, BACCHUS
DESTINATION: THIRD BANK OF CARMENTA ACCOUNT 089238456: CARMENTA LIBERATION FRONT

ERROR: SOLFED FREEZE CURRENTLY IN PLACE ON ALL CARMENTA LIBERATION FRONT ASSETS DUE TO CLASS 2 TERRORIST GROUP DESIGNATION
OVERRIDE CODE: 320512
PROCESSING...PROCESSING...PROCESSING...TRANSFER COMPLETE.

---

TRANSFER: 20,000,000,000 units IntCom Currency
DESTINATION: SONTY COM-FED DIVISION 5

PURCHASE: 5000 CRATES "PORK BELLIES", 1 STIGMA CLASS HIGH-YIELD TRANSPORT VESSEL: MODIFIED

---

TO: CARMENTA LIBERATION FRONT

TRANSFER COMPLETE. AWAITING LIST OF BACCHAN CONTACTS. WEAPON TRANSFER IN PROGRESS.

Thlayli said:
Spoiler Some other stuff :
ASTARTES KNOWLEDGE DATABASE: HELPING THE OPPRESSED OVERCOME THE OPPRESSOR

Welcome, sentient. If you are reading this message, you have been selected from one of 500 sleeper cells on Sol System, Bacchus System, or one of our various sub-sects within SolFed or IntCom space. The following message is untraceable, so do not worry: The authorities have no knowledge of your participation in the galactic liberation movement.

You have been chosen for one of the following reasons: Your ideological committment to the destruction of the class system of racism and exploitation that the corporate-government structure has exported into space, your association with one, or several, planetary independence groups, your willingness to target the legitimate military resources of the oppressor, or your familiarity with aerospace and weapons systems. Please proceed to point XKM, located on your com-link receptor, at exactly two weeks from your reception of this message. You will then receive further instructions...

---

Astartes is pleased that you have chosen to aid the liberation movement. You have met your fellow sentients. In addition, your identities have been successfully terminated with the relevant government authorities. Fear not, sentients, your families have been ensconced in a safe, untouchable orbital location.

TECHNICAL MISSION DATA UPLOADING...COMPLETE.

...0030e02222.ssrel2l%#)...

IDEOLOGICAL DATA TRANSMITTANCE BY HUD LINK...BUFFERING...BUFFERING...COMPLETE.

Sentient, your mission is dangerous. However, your target is not invincible. Our primary target for this mission is the Relentless, an ASTRIS frigate orbiting the oppressed planet of Carmenta. Our organization has already provided the Carmentan shadow government with weapons and intelligence in order to begin the planet-wide expulsion of occupying SolFed forces. We believe that significant amounts of the SolFed military forces, being Carmenta-born, are prepared to join the revolution. However, the populace must see that ASTRIS space forces can be blown out of the sky, so that their cities shall be safe from orbital bombardment when the rebellion begins.

We have purchased 5 retrofitted Sonty mining frigates, equipped with adequate missile and laser systems. The relevant Sonty corporate elements were bribed or fooled into believing that a legitimate corporate entity was purchasing this technology. We have also acquired an old, unused Sonty transport hulk, which has been provided with false designations in order to fool the authorities into thinking this is a legitimate corporate vessel. In reality, it is an empty shell, with a tactical nuclear weapon placed inside.

As the "Sonty" ship approaches Carmenta, within hailing distance of the Relentless, the five corvettes, crewed by you, sentients, will close to attack. However, you will not destroy the hulk. Peripheral damage will be inflicted with your lasers, and your movements will give the impression that a boarding attempt to steal the hulk's "valuable cargo" is underway.

The mining ship, in reality directed only by a robotic control unit, will send a distress signal to the Relentless, informing them of the pirate attack. When the ship of the oppressors closes to within firing range, all five ships must scatter IMMEDIATELY. We do not yet have the weapons systems to openly contest the oppressors...but soon, we shall. For the moment, however, the tactical nuclear weapon, set to activate once the Relentless has closed to an appropriate distance, will serve our purposes nicely. The ship of the oppressors, will, at best, be completely vaporized, and at worst, heavily damaged. If the ship survives, all corvettes should immediately converge on the ship and eliminate it. If not, proceed to the designated rendezvous points for off-system transport.

We await news of your victory, sentients. The revolution begins now. ASTARTES COLLETIVE OUT.

How cool is thaaat.

It should be noted that the original intention of the Orion Industries / Astartes group was to bring down the PRC through a mixture of subversion and overt piracy; justification being that said PRC was the only non-democratic institution left. Then Thlayli started going off into Carmenta and I got a bit worried, so I was attempting to cut ties to it... In the end, the other projects Orion was starting would have been more important.

It should be noted that the original intention of the Orion Industries / Astartes group was to bring down the PRC through a mixture of subversion and overt piracy; justification being that said PRC was the only non-democratic institution left. Then Thlayli started going off into Carmenta and I got a bit worried, so I was attempting to cut ties to it... In the end, the other projects Orion was starting would have been more important.

As the group evolved, a side-goal became the ultimate destruction of all large-scale governmental and corporate entities operating in space. Obviously Orion didn't subscribe to that part. :p

The PRC was the main target, and other operations were in progress there that never came to fruition because the pre-NES closed so soon. But it's true, NK distanced himself fairly effectively by the end.

BananaLee said:
If you want to call out on wrong things to satisfy your desire to beat easy targets down, I'm sure there's heaps of things in real life you could be a dick about to. Better still, join Parliament and you can earn $110,000 a year doing that plus allowances and subsidies.

Point is, you're trying to be Symphony and failing at it. At least your predecessor obsessively-compulsively made random things like maps and doctrines. The last I checked, that mantle was taken by flyingchicken. You just took the "oh dear, I'm such a little Richard I need to call people out for something which is pointless".

EDIT: Sorry, Buddha, but valid criticism doesn't require karmic redress to prove its validity.

His point still stands though. There is really no reason to continue to try to bring down what was a good game by pointing out everything that is wrong with it. Once the arguement got started of course, it was really unavoidable, but why the heck are you trying to tell everyone what a horrible game it was, after pretty much everyone was sad (if in agreement) to see it go.

Moderator Action: Please settle down and keep the discussion civil.

Icekommander said:
His point still stands though. There is really no reason to continue to try to bring down what was a good game by pointing out everything that is wrong with it. Once the arguement got started of course, it was really unavoidable, but why the heck are you trying to tell everyone what a horrible game it was, after pretty much everyone was sad (if in agreement) to see it go.

Just to clear up whose side I'm on:

Chandrasekhar said:
The Solar Federation had consolidated itself to the point where it could get away with pretty much anything. A sudden collapse was out of the question.

Chandrasekhar said:
interaction between the colonies was pretty limited, and... developments weren't really notable on a five to ten year scale

Chandrasekhar said:
The ASTRIS, Commonwealth, and PRC colonies provided an interesting contrast, but they didn't really have the power to do anything to each other aside from boring trade agreement stuff.

Chandrasekhar said:
Even if we went through hundreds of years of BTs to make each colony's population and industry comparable to Earth's, I don't think that much would change. There's no real incentive for the planets to war with each other, and without that threat

Chandrasekhar said:
The premise wasn't feasible in the first place. A "realistic" interstellar setting,[/B] even if faster than light travel is somehow possible, just doesn't lend itself to the NESing experience.

Chandrasekhar said:
The idea of warring across space for territory just doesn't make sense in this setting. As the colonies would fill, more colonies would be founded, and there was no end in sight. And even in the distant future, when all of colonizable space would be colonized, fighting wars of invasion just wouldn't be a smart idea.

Chandrasekhar said:
Anyway, Symphony's views on the matter are pretty much identical to my own.

Now, we've cleared up the fact that I'm the one parroting the party line, unless its some sort of parallel universe where right is wrong and wrong is right!

Adrogans said:
I have to say I agree with Masada. It would be a long time, if ever that inter system combat would take place, so mostly this was internal development with a massive focus on Sol. Not that I minded, I loved playing Bacchus.

Even the player of the only viable non-Terran entity acknowledges he wasn't in a position to do jack, which is a simple statement of fact and nothing else.

P.S I was considering enacting a 'corporate takeover' of the Bacchus government, before I found out it was already firmly under the corporate thumb. :(

BananaLee said:

Number of times I've volunteered to sacrifice my time to co-moderate ~ 10. Number of takers who have actually carried through, nil. Number of 'blank checks' I have issued for my own time for a variety of purposes including: maps significant. Number of takers, nil. Attempts at finding an optimal blend of realism, entertainment and ease of updating for a fresh-start ~ 4. Satisfaction with attempts thus far ~ 30% up from 0%. Refinements needed:

• Better explanation of points system; [on way]
  • More dynamic world; [check]
  • map with 'proxies'; [on way]
  • Desire to restart because of perfectionism; [stifled]
  • Interested players; [check]
  • Sufficiently interested to hound me when I fail to update inexplicably. [check]

Happiness with non-rule related content ~ 80%. But whatever lets get into a 'whose content is bigger than whose', I'd personally prefer a careful examination of where the NES fell short and what could be done to avoid the NEsing 'original sin' of a uni-polar world, but whatever.

Let's make the record straight.

There's "carefully examining", and then there's repeating what Symph and Chand had already said except in a rather Richardy fashion.

My bone of contention was that you were being a Richard. Even more contentious was what I saw as an apparent lack of similar levels of contribution to NESing (key word being apparent) *combined* with said Richardness.

In other words, you can "carefully analyse" all you want without being a hori about it. And if you want to, there really is no need to because Chand and Symph had already outlined it prior.

As I said before, no one likes a dick.

Yeah we had to sell a part of our soul to stay viable. But we did have a nice set of spies and agents in place to fight off said purchaser of part of our soul should they have tried anything crazy.

Top Bottom