Pre-CosmicNES: Shards of an Empire

Popcornlord

Steampunk Mechanic
Convenient Wiki Link
“… On the fourth day of the year 252 A.C., approximately 3530 C.E., the last surviving member of the Vilirian dynasty, Harren the VII, was assassinated. His killer was sadly never caught. As Harken had no heirs, the respective representatives of the three great races met in Fevenst to discuss the fate of the Empire. The humans demanded a new dynasty to replace the old, only led by another race. However, no one person was successfully agreed upon.

Arguments escalated to small scale violence, climaxing at the death of the Terthen representative, Mayak. The Terthen government, never a huge fan of the Empire, immediately pulled out of all negotiations. The Humans soon followed. House Tyther, second only to the Vilirians in their power, instituted martial law on Fevenst, claiming to be ‘acting in the name of the Empire against the Rebel threat’. The Mhulkn had no choice but to accept that their glorious project, the Empire that had encompassed the known galaxy, had collapsed.

The Empire was dead, and the galaxy began to tumble into the first great Dark Age…”

-A Brief History of the Galaxy, Volume IV, Chapter 1

CosmicNES: Shards of an Empire

Welcome to the pre-thread for CosmicNES, my first venture into the world of modding. This game is a stat-based semi-fresh start, with a strong emphasis on medieval style diplomacy. In this game, you play as a House/Clan/Family, most likely part of a larger whole, as you plot your way to glory. Intrigue, colonization, and huge space battles are all tools at your disposal, as well as the more peaceful arts of trade and diplomacy. Interested? The game begins in around a week, so feel free to sign up!

Backstory:
This NES begins immediately after the fall of the “First Galactic Empire”. A lot of backstory is either available on the wiki, or is conspicuously missing. Feel free to make up as much as you want; what I’ve written is intended as more of a guideline. I will fill in some extra information on update 0.

Races:
The Humans have just achieved basic unity with the rise of the Empire, underneath the rule of the Imperator. Thanks to the difficulty of interstellar communications and transportation, early colonies were obliged to follow a feudalistic society. Although communication is now easy, and individuals can move between systems almost instantaneously, the system has stuck. Some question whether this was a step forward, or a step backwards for society. But most just worry about the constant power struggle, and how to come out ahead.

The Terthen are a nomadic, tribal species with strong family ties. Unlike the humans, their basic unit is the Clan, not the House. At heart, however, it is still feudalism. Lower clans pay their allegiance to greater clans, which in turn pay allegiance to the Hiritor. The trading of family members is just as common. But each clan is far more independent, and wars are frequent. Cities are something of a rarity. Instead, much of modern Terthen society is centered around the spaceship.

Mhulkn are in editing.

Stats:
Each System, Ship Type, and Family will have their own stats. In fact, each member of each family has their own stats, although they’re brief. To keep it all somewhat organized and not a complete pain, stats will be accessible on the Wiki. You may add stories on pages with stats, but cheating by actually modifying the numbers will get you two strikes. If people would like, I can copy the stats over here.

House Stats
Spoiler :
House Name/Player: Self-Evident
Race: Human, Mhulk, or Terthen
Head of House: The player’s avatar, with basic stats
Holdings: Systems. Capital is marked with an asterisk
Other Members & relationship: List of other prominent members of the house, with stats
Vassal Houses: All houses underneath your rule, if any
Master House: The house directly above you, if one exists
Advisers: Military, Economy, and Intelligence. May have “flavor names” like “Minister of Peace” or “Master of Whisperers”.
Economy (Direct Income * Administrative Cost + Tribute – Maintenance = total, saved):

This NES uses an EP system.
Direct Income is all income from systems.
Administrative cost is (.7 + Administrative skill of head * 0.05) * (number of systems – 1) (Subject to change once I go over and balance stuff). The main concept is that the more systems you have, the less money you get from each, and a high Administrative Skill helps to counteract that.
Tribute can be positive or negative, and represents all regular tribute from or towards vassals/masters.
Maintenance is the cost per turn of maintaining your massive battle fleets. It is one tenth the cost of producing your ships.

Tech Income: TP income
Researched Technologies: The current level of technology for this house. See the Tech rules below.
Buildable Ships: A list of currently researched, and therefore buildable, ships.

System Stats
Spoiler :
Name: Self-Evident.
Ownership (in order of direct, master, master): House in control, and its master house, and possible even more master houses.
Population: Percent of population that is a particular race. Each race has some different properties to them, and tend to be hostile towards alien rulers.
Loyalty: Percentage of people that would be happy with one house’s rule. The numbers won’t add up to 100%: one person can hold multiple loyalties. If your loyalty is low enough, a system may rebel in favor of another house, and may even create a new house.
Defense: Ships in orbit, with the highest ranking commander at the end
Economy (Industry + Tax + Trade =Total):

Total EPs given to the owning house every turn. Trade represents the money made through trade routes to other systems, and is broken down afterward. Trade can exist between any two systems connected on the starmap, but requires negotiations for foreign lands. Any system where trade is possible but blocked is greyed out. Industry is anything that could be used towards spaceship construction. A system can only produce twice its industry level for ships in one turn. Tax counts as everything else.

Tech: Tech Points given to the owning house every turn.
Projects: List of major projects underway. Completed projects are not listed unless deemed significant.

Ship Stats
Spoiler :
Name/Class: Name is self-evident. Class is one of 4 types: Space Station, Capital, Cruiser, and Squadron. Space Stations can’t move between systems. Squadrons require carriers to move between systems. Both Stations and Capital Ships get two “hits” in a battle.
Cost: Build cost and Maintenance. A planet may only build up to twice its industry in one turn.
Strength (Anti-Capital, Anti-Cruiser, Anti-Fighter, Defense, Offense): Strength verses each class, strength in defending itself, and strength in attacking another ship. Stations count as Capital for this purpose. More detail in the combat section.
Buildable by: Which houses have this designed researched.
Research cost: Cost to research this ship, as well as required technologies. Research cost will likely go down with time.

Character Stats
Spoiler :
Character stats are randomly determined when born, and can be slowly changed over time. They range from 1 to 5.
Adm, or administration, is the ability of a person to manage a large empire. It plays directly into house income.
Mil, or Military, is the strategic skill of a person. It is added as a bonus when leading a fleet, and is also used for military advisors.
Intr, or Intrigue, is used for all espionage related activities. It is also used when countering enemy espionage, and by the intelligence advisor.
Eco, or Economy, helps increase the efficiency of economic projects. It is important for an economic advisor to have a high rating in this field.

Advisers:
A player may select three other people (who must be the head of either a major or minor house) as “ advisers”. There are three kinds; Military, Intelligence, and Economic. You may change your advisers at will. Most of the houses will not have enough vassals to fill all positions; instead, they will need to choose which adviser positions they want filled, if any.

A military adviser can give military orders to all of the vassals of his lord. However, any ship receiving conflicting orders will tend to favor their direct lords. The main purpose is to allow coordination; whether the vassals listen or not is a management problem. A fleet will use half the military adviser’s rating if it is higher than the local commander’s skill.

The Intelligence adviser is given greater freedom when performing espionage within the borders of his master, whether for or against him. He has a chance of being informed of espionage acts in the empire; it is up to the advisor what he does with this information. As such, it is important that your intelligence adviser is someone you can trust. The chance of finding espionage plots is dependent on his skill.

The Economic Adviser can create and manage nation-wide projects. The success of these projects is based on his economic skill. Note that the economic adviser will need to pay for these projects himself, and will likely require reimbursement.

Minor Houses:
Some of the major houses will have minor houses as vassals. These vassals do not own territory, own ships, or make money. Instead, minor houses provide a pool of people for the player. Generals and advisers may both be taken from the minor houses, and they are always open to marriage proposals. Be warned, as they may also gain the support of the commoners, considering the commoners have a low loyalty to you. Minor houses will often represent major factions, and may be created without player action.

Ship Design:
Players are free to design their own ship types. Just send me a PM named “Ship Design: (Ship Name), (Player)” with what you want out of the ship before your orders (at least if you want to build the ship next turn). This can be as simple as “A cheap cruiser” to exact numbers. I will PM you back with the stats I derived from it. You may confirm that it’s satisfactory, or request changes. Once this is done, the ship is treated as a regular design that no one has researched and only you know about. Once you research it, it will be open for anyone to research.
Note that a ship will, by default, only be able to move one turn's worth of distance into empty space. Please tell me if you would like to make the ship long ranged or not.

Technology:
TP (Technology Points) can be spent in two in two areas: Design, and Theory.
Any design you know about, and have the ability to research, can be unlocked by paying the appropriate amount of TP. You may build the ship on the same turn, if you want to. Designs can be transferred freely between allies.
Theory is divided into a few different fields. Each TP represents approximately a 1% increase in the appropriate field.

Spoiler :
Maximum Attack: (for ship design, starts at 5)
Maximum Defense: (for ship design, starts at 5)
Maximum Anti-Ship: (for ship design, starts at 5)
Colonization: (decreases the cost of colonizing new systems)
Technology Production:
Industrial Income:
Tax Income:
Trade Income:

Combat:
Combat happens when two enemy fleets are in the same system, and does not end until one of them is completely destroyed. Although there’s a program I’m using to keep everything impartial and random, detailed strategies are encouraged and will likely lead to bonuses for your side. Furthermore, certain strategies may lead one battle to be divided into multiple “skirmishes”. Please, get creative and use all three dimensions to their maximum.

You may also choose any of your own characters to command a fleet. The higher their military skill, the bigger the bonus to the fleet in battle. If there are multiple commanders, the one with the highest skill will be used.

A battle goes like this:
Each defender, in turn, randomly chooses an attacker. The defender rolls a number between one and the total of its counter-ship stat (Anti-Capital, Anti-Cruiser, Anti-Squadron) and its attack stat, multiplied by 1/10 of all bonuses plus one (So from 1 to (AS + Att) * ((Bonus / 10) +1)). This is countered by one to attacker’s anti-ship plus its defense stat plus 1/10 of all bonuses plus one. If the Defender wins, the attacking ship is destroyed. Otherwise nothing happens.
The same thing happens for all attacking ships, including those destroyed this turn. This continues until one side wins.
Bonuses can include leadership, strategy, technology, defense preparations, a bonus +1 for defenders, and whatever else counts. It’s a rather broad category, which gives the freedom for all the fun stuff you guys might think up.
TL:DR; match up the anti-ship with who you're against and put in some strategy, and you’re golden.

Map:
Spoiler :

Lines represent star lanes/trade routes between stars. A ship can move the distance of one dotted line or up to two solid lines in one turn.
Blue is Human, Green is Mhulkn, Yellow is Terthen, Red belongs to House Tyther. Anywhere but House Tyther is free to claim.
The Greyed out areas are unexplored. Exploration parties are cheap, as a general rule 1-3EP, and the more invested, the more info you get out. The first to explore a system can name it. Colonization is significantly more expensive, with an estimated cost of 15-25EP, the more money, the more successful it is. Colonization will take a few turns to pay off, but when it does, it will really pay off!
Note that a ship will, by default, only be able to move one turn's worth of distance into empty space.

Joining:
Signup sheet below. You may also choose to take the pre-created House Tyther if you aren’t feeling creative. You will initially claim one system. I will deal out the rest at update one, to both players and NPCs.
Spoiler :
House name/Player: Should be self-evident.
Flag: A flag/emblem/coat of arms to represent yourself. Not necessary, but would be nice.
Capital: Your initial system. I may give you 1 or 2 additional systems once the game begins, based on balance and number of players that sign up.
Preferred Map Color: Self Evident
Capital’s Details: Describe the capital system. The stats will be derived from your description.
Head of Household: Name, age, preferred skill focus, and background.
Head of Household’s Relationships: Is the head married? Does he have any children? Siblings? Are his parents still alive? Remember that a bigger family means more people to marry off/use as generals, but also more people to challenge your rightful claims.
History: Fluff, but will also determine your starting position. A family of generals will have more ships and less money than merchants, for example.

With your signup post, say if you are interested in playing as the leader (of the Humans.) one of the three main factions. For the Mhulkn and the Terthen, leadership will be semi-random, with favoritism towards experienced players. If this is one of your first NESes, please don’t apply for these positions. Humans will have an election after a good number of players have signed up. Don’t like your king? Rebellion, assassination, etc. You have options.

"Strikes"
To keep the peace, this NES will utilize a simple retribution system. Every time you miss an order deadline without informing me, you get a strike. Every time you modify any of the stats on the wiki (which should be impossible anyways), you get two strikes. If you get to three strikes, you've been NPCed this turn, and will need to talk to me to get your position back. You may remove strikes you've gotten by helping me out with the wiki or writing particularly good stories. You may not have negative strikes.

Other
Don't feel obliged to follow the government systems set out in the Wiki. Nothing is set in stone. In fact, I will be disappointed if there are no government changes by update five.

List of Claims:

Current Map:
Spoiler :

The stats and the wiki both need cleaning up, but it's good enough to get people signed up. I know I'm forgetting something important, so please feel free to comment on anything that doesn't make sense. Obviously, I haven't written up one of these before. I'm also very flexible on the rules right now, as I'm not sure what will work and what won't.

Expressing interest, I'll submit something when I'm less tired (tomorrow most likely)

Edit: minor nitpick, it should be "Gliese 876" not "Geliese" on the map.

Hey! I'm definently in. Will create a signup post in a bit... However, I'de like to claim Sol as House Steward.

House name/Player: House of Vendini
Flag: Coming at some point.
Capital: Epsilon Eridani
Capital’s Details: The system of Eridani is peculiar in that it has two inhabitable planets, instead of the more common one. By the time the Humans arrived there, the Terthen had already colonized one, causing the humans to settle on the other. Trade flourished between the planets, and ship designs were shared, causing ship tech to skyrocket for both sides. However, the humans began to terraform the other planets in the system, which led to them becoming the dominant power in the are. Simultaneously, some began to coexist on with the Tethren on their planet, causing the population to eventually be about even on that planet. Now, the Humans are peacefully living with the Tethren minority, and trade is still the forefront of their focus. Planets are, in order of closest to sun to farthest: Sern, Mineve, Milarna (original Human), Dred-Serg (Original Tethren, Severn
Head of Household: Samuel Vendini, 43. He came from a wealthy trading family, and was appointed Duke of the system by the Imperator himself (with hefty bribes). He came from a line of Merchants, and are very econinomically focused. He will usually stay peaceful and trade, but sees war as an extension if trade. After the Fall, he seceded and declared neutrality. His ambitions are large, and it is unknown how far he will go to achieve them. When he seceded, he instituted a monarchy with a lawmaking body made up of the rich.
Head of Household’s Relationships: Samuel is married to Lucia Vendini, a woman he met at a young age. They have two sons and a daughter, named Max, David and Cynthia. He also has six siblings, three of each gender. His father and mother are dead.
History: Kind of covered up top, but I'll expand.

The Fall hit Eridani hard. Trading partners pulled out, and the Vendini family was left nearly penniless. Samuel, sensing a need to make a decisive move, seceded and declared absolute neutrality, which caused uproar in the system. However, when trading partners flocked back due to his Swisslike diplomatic approach, confidence was restored. Now, the system is flourishing and the trading is more profitable than ever, which has led stability to be at an all time high, which has led to more profits, etc. The bubble may burst, though, so the Vendinies must tread carefully.

The Anchient and most noble House Lanshire signing up for EZ Aquarii. Rest later.

House name/Player: House Steward
Flag:

Capital: Sol
Capital’s Details: Sol is the Birthplace of Humanity, and therefore a place of pilgrimage for humans throughout the Empire. The House of Steward maintains a careful care of the sites of spiritual importance to the empire: Holy Canaveral, Blessed Baikonur, Holy Esa, all site significant to the freeing of Humanity from the shackles of gravity. The city of First Landing on the moon, The city of Olympus on Mars, The City of Deep Europa all prosper greatly from the Constant stream of pilgrims who come to contemplate their origins. As such, House Steward maintains a significant influence of Humanity as a whole.
Head of Household:
Thomas Casparity of Steward
Skill: Administrative
Background: Thomas Steward, as all stewards, upon the age of 18 did the traditional tour of Imperial Systems. This tour clearly impressed upon Thomas the superiority of Humanity's origins, and the sanctity of preservation of the past.
Head of Household’s Relationships:
Thomas Steward, only son of Martin and Christine, is Married to Ellen Vendini, and has three children, Manuel Casparity of Steward, Isabelle Casparity of Steward, and Zoey Casparity of Steward.
History: House Steward has held custody of the origins of humanity for as long as the Empire has been around. Laura the First, First of her name, was appointed governor of Sol in the early days of the empire. Taking the Name Steward, she and her descendants have kept the name, building a fortune and fleet to defend the interests of humanity.

BTW, if this wasn't clear, I am interested in taking up the Mantle of King of Humanity.

House name/Player: House of Lanshire

Flag/Coat of Arms: View attachment 339531

Color: Blue

Capital: EZ Aquarii

Capital’s Details: The system of Aquarii is a relatively new one just 75 years old, found by the explorations of Rathus Landshire who was given the charter to govern his colony there. However dispite it's young age Rathus was able to turn it into arguably the most successful system on the outer core of human space. This is due in part to they main planet of Aquarii, Thaden, which is the epitome of a "garden" planet. It holds a much higher oxygen concentration than earth at 31% and has little toxic gasses alowing humans to walk without special equipment on the surface. The high level of oxygen also allowed for very dense forrests of native plants covering most of the planet's temperate and tropical zones. It also allowed for large fauna which at first posed a threat to the colonists but now serve to feed the evergrowing population.

Rathus helped spurr the planet's growth by highly advertizing the "Eden" he had found and using his family's fame to promote immigration to the planet. Once a stable colony was founded he worked endlessly at bringing many busnisess over to the system getting them to set up factories, mines, and other infastructure. As more busnisess migrated to the colony more people immigrated looking for jobs and created a demand for more goods which led to a firtile soil for entrepreneurs to set up busnesses and creating a positive feedback cycle. While it couldn't last and the rush of busnisses slowed down with the collapse of the Galactic empire Rathus had built a solid foundation for growth to continue, although at a much more regular pace.

Head of Household: Glenmor Lanshire, 25. Glenmor was the grandson of Rathus Lanshire, the founder or the system of Aquarii. He was born on Thaden and trained by his father and grandfather at a young age on how to administrate the affairs of Aquarii and keep the system running smoothly. Glenmor was a quick study of his grandfather's techniques which he used to build up the system from scratch. Like most Lanshires Glenmor is facinated with exploration and colonization of new systems, he prefers to ignore the troubles of the main worlds and instead focus on building up his

Head of Household’s Relationships: Glenmor's father died from disease although his grandfather Rathus is still alive at 98 and keeping healthy due to the future's advanced medicine and he is enjoying his retirement. Glenmor had a half-brother by the name of James who was a bastard on his father's side and a full younger brother, Darin. Glenmor is not currently married but is looking for a wife.

History: Expanding from above.
The House Lanshire is one that predates the empire itself, reaching back to the initial expansion from Sol as goveners of the first colonies on Centari. During the early years empire's riegn the Lanshires went from governing system to system depending on where the emperor needed their skills the most. However; after a fall from grace orcastrated by a rival house the Lanshires entered the dangerous buisness of exploration of space and started to regain a high standing in the imperial navy.

It was Rathus's father that managed to regain their position as a noble house through shrewd mercantile practices that restored the family wealth and funded Rahus's expiditions. After the Lanshire's success in Aquarii they adopted the moto of adapting to overcome any obstical.

Everything looks good so far. I will update the front page with claims, a few clarifications, and fixing gliese (thanks southernking) once I have access to a computer.

And if you could also include a map color with your sign up post (how did I forget that?), that would be wonderful.

@arrow gamer
My understanding is that you want to start independent, is that correct? It will make you an easy target, but you will have a high income to compensate.

@thomas
The original intent was to have earth be semi-neutral, with special rules assossiated with it. It was on the wiki, but I didn't think to bring it over here. Your idea is interesting, however, so I'll let you roll with it.

@eveyone
So you all know, the pages of the three races, as well as their respective homeworlds, are on the wiki. Earth will need to be rewritten a bit. I will copy over a breif blurb on both of the races to the front page when I get a chance.

Everything looks good so far. I will update the front page with claims, a few clarifications, and fixing gliese (thanks southernking) once I have access to a computer.

And if you could also include a map color with your sign up post (how did I forget that?), that would be wonderful.

@arrow gamer
My understanding is that you want to start independent, is that correct? It will make you an easy target, but you will have a high income to compensate.

@thomas
The original intent was to have earth be semi-neutral, with special rules assossiated with it. It was on the wiki, but I didn't think to bring it over here. Your idea is interesting, however, so I'll let you roll with it.

@eveyone
So you all know, the pages of the three races, as well as their respective homeworlds, are on the wiki. Earth will need to be rewritten a bit. I will copy over a breif blurb on both of the races to the front page when I get a chance.

If you want me too, I can take something else.

Finally finished the coat of arms!

Coat of arms.png

Banner of House Steward.

Edit: If it wasn't clear in my stats, I'm interested in playing as King of Humanity.

Created a Stats and Story page for House Lanshire on the wiki.

Claims are listed. I'm now working on stats, and will add some extra information to the wiki and the front page when I'm done.

Thanks for the quick work, Thomas, Patchy, and Arrow. If anyone else wants to get a head start on their pages like Patchy, please make sure I'm not logged in first.

Top Bottom