Prefer Civ II to Civ III

mattc670

Chieftain
First post here.

I love Civ II, and have played both Civ II and III. I last played
months ago - but I really like Civ II best.

Anyone else?

:scan:

Cool. Yes, from reading some of the threads, I can see many think the same.

Not sure how to explain it. I enjoy the building - and play
in Conquest mode.

It seems that factors like WarWalkers, plagues, etc. disturb
my style of play in Civ III.

Major annoymance in my Civ II play can be Global Warming. Do many people play past the end date - what is it - around 2010?

matt

Originally posted by mattc670
Do many people play past the end date - what is it - around 2010?

It is 2020.
But I never play after the score is calculated. I start a new game instead :lol:

I prefer Civ2 over Civ3, because it's easy to minimize the screen to do other things, such as play music, check email etc. with out stopping the game. Even with keyboard shortcuts, Civ3 goes through the annoying process of rearranging the graphics settings.

I have to admit I never even bothered to try Civ3 after reading the informed (not superficial or partisan) reviews and comments. As the various Civ2 forums here show, there's a lot to Civ2 for the TBS addict.

Originally posted by mattc670
Major annoymance in my Civ II play can be Global Warming.
Most people manage to avoid global warming, and if you spend time here, you'll probably learn how soon enough.:)

A few tips: Build Hoover Dam, Mass Transit and later recycling center or solar plant for the biggest producers, to avoid pollution in general. If you learn about SSC and trading, you'll also be able to out-tech the AI, and therefore win before they have a chance to aquire nukes (or even build Manhattan). After you've learnt this, global warming isn't such a problem anymore.

I also like Civ2 better than Civ3. The only things that Civ3 has over Civ2 are graphics and visible borders.

Isn't it time someone found out that this has been posted before?

Well, who cares? I've tried Civ3 a few times. Never ever finished a game... I could play until the middle ages and still being in the Bronze Age. In Civ2 I'm in Industrial Age before 1000 AD. Civ2 forever!!:goodjob:

until now, I haven't had a computer big/fast enough to support civ 3, so I've never tried it. At this point, I have the new, fast computer, but still see no need for civ 3.

Originally posted by The Person
Never ever finished a game...
I have never intentionally finished a game... I've once or twice come into modern times in Civ3, but I never realised that when you win an election in the UN, you win diplomatic victory. So, all of a sudden, when I was planning on building space ships and conquering the world, I just won the game.:(

Originally posted by Ren
I must say that I like the whole culture thing in Civ 3. Other than that, Civ 2 reigns supreme :king:

Yep, that's the only good thing about Civ3, and I do like the visible borders, but I have them in SMAC aswell. But as many have pointed out, Civ3 is a completely new game though the concept is old. And winning a cultural victory in Civ3 is nothing like playing Civ2. It's just not the same game with some modifications and improvements. It's another game and it doesn't daptivate me as Civ2 does.

I first loved civ II. even when i was 8 but when civ III came along then i liked that. then i understood how to edit the rules in Civ II. so i went back to that. then i went back to Civ III after i came to apreactate the recources. then i came back to Civ II because i thought it was to complicated (Civ III) then i swang back to Civ III by conquests coming out. and i am staying there. Prehaps when i get around to Call of Power...

It's a sad thing that Sid meier have focused, almost, all "his" effort on adding more powerful graphics to civ3 instead of concentrating on the aspect that makes a GOOD strategy game...
The CIV games will never be as good as it was when CIV2 MPE saw the dawn. I have lost all my faith in Mr. Meier.

Read my lips:
The graphics are NOT the most imporant thing for a strategy game like CIV.... so I say: shame on you Sid meier, shame on you!

still, he gave them his premisson to use his name in the game... he was the one who approved the game in the end.
And by "lending" out his name we, civ fanatics, hope that the game would be good...

It's amazing what a "fistful of Dollars" will do to a man.
I'd lend my name to commercially marketed fecal matter for the right price...

... and thats why I say: shame on you Meier, shame on you.

Top Bottom