Probably Improved Gameplay Mod

PoM,
Thanks again. Just out of curiosity as I will find out tonight when I play, but does the latest version of PIG include the Advanced Combat Odds in it?

PoM,
Thanks again. Just out of curiosity as I will find out tonight when I play, but does the latest version of PIG include the Advanced Combat Odds in it?

Yes, of course! ACO is only my baby, it would be crazy of me not to include it in this mod. ;)

ACO is now a feature of BULL (BUG's DLL mod) anyway.

As much as it may be annoying to those people for whom the lib beeline has become a crutch (lol don't kill me if the grammar there is messed up!), I do think reducing the strength of the oft-used lib beeline improves gameplay. It's all about the GS bulb preferences. With the lib beeline it was too easy to get a string of ideal techs using great scientists.

The change I have made here has probably made Deity quite a bit harder for seasoned BtS deity players. (Plus the Better AI, :lol:, not that that's my change of course)

At more moderate difficulties, the change will appear to mainly just slow down tech progression. In fact at Deity, the AIs get Machinery quickly enough that with tech trading the tech progression is probably not slowed much anyway.

Excellent points, especially about the power of the Great Scientist beelining.

In my mind the problem with the lower tech path is that it is very beaker intensive to research, and for techs which themselves provide a marginal benefit. Metal Casting manages to be valuable mainly only because naval combat is imbalanced, with galley vs galley combat being a crap shoot.

Machinery opens some nice tile improvements, but they don't see their power until Replaceable Parts anyway. :/

Unfortunately things don't improve, Guilds sucks (do we all agree??) but at least it leads to Banking. And Gunpowder is just there to intentionally slow military advancement. It's a powerful tech if your UU is a musketman, but otherwise...

Thanks for listening. ;)

Those of us that slum it down at Emperor find the lower path useful because as long I don't royally mess up or get dogpiled, I can research/trade up to Chemistry in time to research Liberalism and nab Steel for free. Woot! Steel is the premiere tech in my view that skews combat so completely.

Hi,

I am new in this pigpack, but I can say, we have problems with all "big" pack and this one is stable :)

We like it.

But we like also archer bombarding, can you make it ?

I have not been keeping close tabs on the details of all the various changes made since 3.15ish but a few things outside of barbarian uprisings (which you nailed explicitly!) annoyed me. keep in mind I have no idea what is a trivial code change and what is simply not possible.

1. Forests diagonal to river files were not receiving the +1 commerce to lumbermills like mills parallel. Yeah diagonals blow, but hard to really see the difference when playing. Really like hexes, sigh.

2. The deer event should really pop a deer resource instead of just gold (I think it was gold). Also the moose even that gave some food should get a resource pop as well imo.

3. Rivers generated to make city starts better would not create flood plains on desert tiles.

4. Ironclads should have an innate combat bonus vs 'wooden ships' which allows lower overall combat strength (pure opinion hehe). Like the added speed.

5. Those one tile off the river city starts, with a lake plopped down to compensate, are as annoying as they are frequent :lol:

6. The ability to force a coastal start (or land or random). Really doubt you can change this.

The overall mod looks fascinating as presented though, will give it a shot.

Cheers!
-Liq

I believe the short answer is no.

Here's the long answer straight from the horse's mouth:

PIG Mod is what I and others sometimes call a 'monolithic' mod. That is it's not designed to be modular - to work concurrently with other mods. So there's simply no way to run it in combination with a mod like Rhye's. You run PIG Mod by itself, or you don't run PIG Mod at all. Note that all the mods I say are included in PIG are essentially 'built in'. It isn't necessary to have any of them installed separately.

True, the only exception being Blue Marble, because it is a graphics only mod that only installs itself to CustomAssets. I'm not aware of any other mods that install to CustomAssets that would be worthwhile running with PIG (BUG is already included :p).

Hi,

I am new in this pigpack, but I can say, we have problems with all "big" pack and this one is stable :)

We like it.

But we like also archer bombarding, can you make it ?
I'm not 100% sure what idea you're referring to, but if you mean ranged combat, then the answer is pretty much a no. It would be too large a change for this mod I think.
I have not been keeping close tabs on the details of all the various changes made since 3.15ish but a few things outside of barbarian uprisings (which you nailed explicitly!) annoyed me. keep in mind I have no idea what is a trivial code change and what is simply not possible.

1. Forests diagonal to river files were not receiving the +1 commerce to lumbermills like mills parallel. Yeah diagonals blow, but hard to really see the difference when playing. Really like hexes, sigh.

2. The deer event should really pop a deer resource instead of just gold (I think it was gold). Also the moose even that gave some food should get a resource pop as well imo.

3. Rivers generated to make city starts better would not create flood plains on desert tiles.

4. Ironclads should have an innate combat bonus vs 'wooden ships' which allows lower overall combat strength (pure opinion hehe). Like the added speed.

5. Those one tile off the river city starts, with a lake plopped down to compensate, are as annoying as they are frequent :lol:

6. The ability to force a coastal start (or land or random). Really doubt you can change this.

The overall mod looks fascinating as presented though, will give it a shot.

Cheers!
-Liq

The balance of map-starts is not really handled by this mod, but rather the game and the various mapscripts.

4. Sounds a reasonable idea, but takes a bit of work to implement. Perhaps a combat bonus against just the most advanced wooden ships would suffice.

ur mod is really good. i also tried many big mods, but this one lets me play MP games without excessive OOS or connection problems. most mods focus on SP, but urs works in both worlds, i really appreciate that.

The ironclad idea of only latest ships works.. should have no issue punking a trireme :D

Another idea is allow ocean tiles +1 food at astronomy to make them as good as coastal tiles.

Cheers!
-Liq

what about the minor civ idea? is it easily integrated in ur mod or not? its from a new dawn, giving barbarian civs the possibility to first become civs (after some time that they had time to develop).

what about the correct culture exapnsion idea? e.g. hills get the culture later then plains, same with forests and water? or too complicated?

what about the minor civ idea? is it easily integrated in ur mod or not? its from a new dawn, giving barbarian civs the possibility to first become civs (after some time that they had time to develop).
I'm not sure. Who was it who developed the code?
what about the correct culture exapnsion idea? e.g. hills get the culture later then plains, same with forests and water? or too complicated?

Was this suggested already? It doesn't sound too complicated, but unless there's a good gameplay reason to make the change I can't see myself rushing to add it in. I'm not currently working on this mod, but if I am working on it in a few months time or so, then I may consider it if it's worthwhile.

well...as u can imagine, i dont knwo everybody like u do. the game that i played was with the version rise of mankind 2.92 and a new dawn 1.74 - i tried a new dawn 1.75 later as a stand-alone, but i couldnt play it online with a friend, so we decided to use ur mod.

u can setup "minor civs" in the custom game menu, i dont know the details from which code those lines were borrowed, but im sure its somewhere in the credits. i didnt find it. maybe from rhye, but thats just my assumption.

u could speak a bit more naturally, like, "i dont like ur ideas". those 3 implying dots at the end of sentences really suck...

didnt u hear him say that he considers it? why not add something that might be a cool feature for his mod, and what if i like it - others might as well.

the first thing is something i consider a great advancement, while being simple at the same time.
the second is something i have seen working and it looked nice, not speaking about balance, KISS principles, or others.

just my 2 cents

It's ok, there isn't a problem here. Of course, be mindful that as I said I'm not working on this mod at the moment so I'm not devoting much time to musing on what features to implement at some possible future date.

PoM is a gentleman, and I don't speak for him. What I'm saying is that this is a mod intended for a mass audience (it has over 2000 downloads) and I think a lack of compatibility with one mod that you like isn't the best grounds for a new mod feature. Simple.

EDIT

For what it's worth I find both of the ideas very compelling. :D
... 'cept the culture one would suck from a gameplay standpoint.

It's ok, there isn't a problem here. Of course, be mindful that as I said I'm not working on this mod at the moment so I'm not devoting much time to musing on what features to implement at some possible future date.

But you are going to release the source code at some point in a not so future future date no?

Top Bottom