Proposed Community Expansion - Help Needed!

If we're trying to figure out what the names should be, well, what will the main goal? G&K added religion primarily, from which it received its title. I believe BNW's name was based on the exploration tree, and this new one is...? Based on imperialism, it sounds like? Rise of Empires is a fitting name then, but I think it could roll off the tongue more. Say... "Dawn of Dynasties".

You'll also note that the past two expansion packs have each added a new yield: faith and tourism. I think we should stick with that and add a new yield to this pack. I vote "Health".

Aside from that I think just all the new features from BNW should be fixed and fine-tune G&K features. Especially the World Congress; the AI are just the stupidest there. Harald once tried to outlaw pretty much every lux known to man. :confused:

I'm definitely up for colonization, random events and 3rd unique component, not sure what JFD's cultural groups are, and I think we could throw in More Resources and Optimized Distribution, since that seems to be pretty popular anyway.

If you're looking for wonders you could look through Pouakai's More Wonders - for ancient era, I'd suggest the Temple of Karnak.

And that's my 2 cents on DOD/ROE

I heard some rumors there's an expansion pack coming... ;)

This is quite a draft, but every expansion pack needs its cover :lol:

Attachments

• dod.jpg
    dod.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 805
:D Epic :D

Although I don't like the title 'Dawn of Dynasties'. Which dynasties, French? American? Japanese? :D
This name would fit medieval scenario... This is renaissance and Imperial Era of exploration and colonialism.

[By the way, personally I would love some techs representing XVII - XVIII century, currently in game we have something like XVI century (caravel, printing press) -> immediately Economy and Industrialisation.]

For me the perfection would be something like that:

European leaders on left

Facing Oriental leaders on right

Between them - either American Indian or sun/caravel/whatever. Because it connects them ; _ ;

Hypereon, that is absolutely FANTASTIC. Thank you very much! You have now convinced me that the expansion has to be made at all costs. So, here goes:

NEW CIVS: Kongo, Israel, Italy, Nazca, Hungary, Inuits, Mali, Mughals, Vietnam, Serbia, Durrani, Argentina, Mexico, Australia, Canada, Finland, Belgium.

WONDERS: Brooklyn Bridge, Teatro Colon, Smithsonian Institute, Magellan Expedition, Darjeeling Himalayan Railway/anyting from South Asia, Grand Bazaar, Shanghai Tower, Itsukushima Shrine, Panama Canal, Mesa Verde. (Possible more!)

NEW SYSTEMS: Exploration, Colonisation, More Diplomacy, Better Alliances (Defensive Pacts, I'm looking at you!), Third Unique Component (if possible).

OTHER STUFF: Better Scientific Victory, More Techs, Balance!

I want to have a go at adding a new tech now, so I'll leave you to discuss how this feels! :D

Also, who wants to do what? I'm ready to make this happen. As for the name, I think there's still quite a bit of uncertainty about it. I'll find all options, and we can then vote on them!

Hypereon, that is absolutely FANTASTIC. Thank you very much! You have now convinced me that the expansion has to be made at all costs. So, here goes:

NEW CIVS: Kongo, Israel, Italy, Nazca, Hungary, Inuits, Mali, Mughals, Vietnam, Serbia, Durrani, Argentina, Mexico, Australia, Canada, Finland, Belgium.
:goodjob:
If you want I can provide a map for Belgium.
Spoiler :

As far as tech is concerned, you have got to alter the tech tree, and I know that this has been said numerous times but Internet before Computers makes no sense.

What about incorporating some of Tomatekh's Historical Religions?

Here would be draft emblems for Belgium and Italy. :) Belgium's obvious, but the olive branch was best I could come up with Italy, as the national emblem is just a star. I took the branch from the national emblem, where it surrounded the star with an oak branch. It kind of reminds me of Rome too, which is a sensible thing.

Attachments

• Emblems.png
    Emblems.png
    125 KB · Views: 54
  • logo.png
    logo.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 95
Here's a short description of my suggestion as a scenario for the expansion.

Spoiler :
Rise of Empires/Dawn of Dynasties (whichever we call it)

Massive authentic real-world scenario from 1707 (Britain unified) to 1918(?), 11 playable civilizations out of 22, spotlight on colonization and imperialism. Map and cities are already placed, but ATM it’s just a plain already filled map, not so much of a scenario.
Civs: British Empire/Victoria; Austria/Maria Theresa; France/Louis XIV/Napoleon?; Spain/Philip V?; Ottoman Empire/Ahmed III; United Provinces(Dutch)/William V??; Prussia/Frederick II; Portugal/Maria I; Sweden/Charles XII; Russia/Catherine; Poland/Augustus II. Maratha/Shivaji and the Mughals are also featured, and maybe Maratha should be playable. I also think of adding Savoy/Sardinia/Victor Emanuel II as a modified Italy as a playable civ too, whose first objective would be to unify Italy.

I did some research.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=497936&page=19

185 voters, most popular civs: Kongo, Vietnam, Israel, Khmer, Tibet, Hungary, Sumer, Sioux, Gran Colomba/Australia, Inuits

Better yet... why not open a thread in the general discussion forum? Like, "hey, here in the modding forums we're making a new expansion pack; which civs would you want to see most?"

I'll probably do that.

Anyway, I'm campaigning for the Dawn of Dynasties name - I'll probably have that as a poll in the same thread.

Anyone else behind me with the whole health implementation?

Ok, here's the same cover with a different title, Empires Rising. Just changed the logo to a more suitable font, nothing else. I may also, maybe tomorrow, change Queen Victoria into a higher resolution version (Hey, Emily Blunt, care for a new photoshoot?:crazyeye:)

Oh, what about splitting England into Great Britain and England, so we could add our cover-girl Victoria to the game, too? I think she's too much an important figure not to add in an expansion centered on imperialism, empires and colonization.

Attachments

• empires.jpg
    empires.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 3,494
Still doesn't have quite the ring to it.... "Global Dynasties" maybe? Regarding vicky... not sure that's too important.

Kongo, Israel, Italy, Nazca, Hungary, Inuits, Mali, Mughals, Vietnam, Serbia, Durrani, Argentina, Mexico, Australia, Canada, Finland, Belgium.

I'm not sure of the justification for including Serbia or Durrani is. Why not just go off what the most popular civs were:

"Kongo, Vietnam, Israel, Khmer, Tibet, Hungary, Sumer, Sioux, Gran Colomba/Australia, Inuits"?

Still doesn't have quite the ring to it.... "Global Dynasties" maybe? Regarding vicky... not sure that's too important.
If we're sticking to Firaxis standard... it must be three words. Or at least with 3 letters within brackets.
[ROE], [DOD], and then real ones: [C3C], [PTW], [C4W], [BTS], [G&K], [BNW]

Anyway, thread's up:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=524001
Vote one, vote all!

I think that was a biiiit premature... Rise of Empires was just a name a threw around after I looked at a poster for "Rise of an Empire". I think we should be discussing more names and core concepts before getting hungup on things like this.

No offense AW but IMHo your thread should be deleted :p

1) It can create great mess in general forum ('What?! New expansion?!')
2) We have nothing yet :lol:
3) There were much more ideas for the title...

No offense AW but IMHo your thread should be deleted :p

1) It can create great mess in general forum ('What?! New expansion?!')
2) We have nothing yet :lol:
3) There were much more ideas for the title...
I dunno, I though we were pretty serious about making it... :blush:
Well, whoever wants to tell the mods to delete the thread can. But it seems like many of the features we're looking for can just be taken from the mods already created - many new civs, new wonders, art... and besides, we won't know what to make until we know what everyone wants us to.
But then again... maybe a bit too early. That's my rationalization.

Here's some additional thoughts...

I think that the number of Civs isn't too important. As has already been discussed, many of them have already been developed. And if players want more, they'll just download them. I think that this i actually the least important part of the expansion. Maybe you should only include Civs especially designed for this pack. I mean if we're adding 17 of the community's civs why not add 30?

Any plans for units? In terms of game balance I think that some new techs and units are in order. We need something to bridge Frigate to Battleship, and maybe Crossbow to Gatling. I also have ideas for a light cavalry line but that's really only because I want to see dragoons -> armored cars -> recon in Civ. But if this is introduced, there needs to be a solution to the frankly bizarre progression of pikes to the pretty useless lancer. Make sure not to focus on one area for units...the modern era's already a little bloated. Anyway a community expansion is the perfect place to remedy these issues in the overall game flow.

I do still support the idea of a Great Explorer unit, who can found cities, and a greatly expanded World Congress.

I'll also just jump off the cliff and post my blobbed up Afghanistan here. I think it's similar to LS' (which I haven't used) but different enough.

Afghans
Ahmad Shah Durrani
UA: Graveyard of Empires: The cultural output of a city is added to its Defense. +1 culture from mountains, and civilians can cross mountains.
UU: Mujahadeen (Machine Gun): Can cross mountain tiles.
UGP: Great Poet (Writer): Can create a Great Work or Create a Proverb in a city, which adds +1 Culture and more culture for each era change.

It goes without saying, but if we are going to be focusing on Colonialism, names should be made around that.

Some quick ideas before I head off to work:

Global Dynasties
Upon Distant Shores
Beyond the Horizon
Dawn of Dynasties
Terra Nova
Empires Rising
Age of Enlightenment

I mean if we're adding 17 of the community's civs why not add 30?

Accessibility. I think 17 is too much already. Making a Civ V Gold is one thing, this is more about making an accessible community expansion that rounds out the game to make it awesome.

We have to ask ourselves whilst playing the question of what really are the most boring parts of the game. Find that out, then improve upon it.

What do you find to be the most boring aspect of the game?

Accessibility. I think 17 is too much already. Making a Civ V Gold is one thing, this is more about making an accessible community expansion that rounds out the game to make it awesome.

We have to ask ourselves whilst playing the question of what really are the most boring parts of the game. Find that out, then improve upon it.

What do you find to be the most boring aspect of the game?

Beautifully put. I'm not sure I have an answer. If I wanted to change anything it would be the oddities on the upgrade path & and the relatively small number of WC resolutions.

Top Bottom