[PS2] and [PS4] Dark Cloud (series) discussion

God of Kings

Ruler of all heads of state
I find it odd that for much of this website's history, there isn't a thread dedicated to the Dark Cloud video game series.

The series consists of two action JRPGs: Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2 (known as Dark Chronicle outside of North America). Both are for the PS2 and since early this year, available in the PSN for PS4 as well.

Both games are vastly underrated gems. I played them when I was much younger. I would say that the sequel is better, in that the gameplay, story, and graphics are much better fleshed out. In fact, Dark Cloud 2 is one of the earliest anime-style cel-shaded video games in history and it looked beautiful, even to 2016 standards (thanks to the PS4 version's upscaling from the original 480p to 1080p). Both Dark Cloud games even have PSN trophies in their enhanced re-releases.

Both games have the Georama feature, which allows the player to reconstruct entire villages.

Dark Cloud 2 even have fishing and Spheda (think golf) minigames, as well as a deep invention system.

Interestingly enough, both games in the series were advertised as Zelda-killers: Dark Cloud competed against Majora's Mask and Dark Cloud 2 competed against Wind Waker, another cel-shaded game.

What are your thoughts?

Top Bottom