PTW Patch v1.04 Released

"Fixed crash with advisor screens."
OR
"Please insert the CIVILIZATION III: Play the World Disk."

Boy, the choices I have to make.

It doesnt seem to like SCSI interfaces, anyone else having this problem?

Editor still refuses to believe I have the game installed.

Patch exe crashed my computer the first time I tried to run it.

I'm So impressed.

I doubt that "* Fixed crash with advisor screens." means something like "whenever you press F1 the game crashes."
Ive found it to be more like %5-%10 of the time.

I was going to say...Stop whining (good spell?) about the game released to soon...If you wanted a release date in 3 months so the game is OK then buy it in three months, download the fifth patch and shut up but than I realized that some are maybe not fanatics like us and dont come on site like this wasting 10 hours per week ;) I remembered I use to play for a year to CIV before coming to a civ fanatics site(I only visited this one but I think there is 2-3 more like this) some will discover civ III and only come to site like this in 3-4 months maybe so they will be playing 15-20 games without a patch...

At least most of people buying a game (expansion) for Multiplayer over the Internet will have internet! and be in contact with at least one of us...

Imagine Ford releasing a car and 3 days after you bought it they call you and say comeback to the store we have to fix (patch) that :

the brakes work 1/2 the time
the gauge for gas will not tell you when you will run out of gas
the testers forgot to test the air bags
the tires are for a Honda and 1 inche too large
the flashers are mixed up...
and the car will crash the first time you'll use it after downl....fixing his problems
:lol:

Don't blame fireaxis, blame IFG.

A game is only ready when it's done. IFG want early releases, and that means not all bugs are gone.

Originally posted by Fredric Drum
What about all those who buy the game and do NOT read this forum and are not in any way aware that there's a patch available? Seems like an easy way out to release bugged software only to release patches to "fix" it, but a lot of the customers will never get any patch.

Most of these bugs are MP bugs, and I expect most people who are dedicated enough to play MP are enough to get the patch. When I was playing MP last night, all I heard in the chatroom was "Where can I get the patch?" over and over, and firaxis.com a thousand times. I must have seen a link to firaxis' website thirty times while playing there. They might as well add a link to it in the game!

CG

Originally posted by Seraph
Editor still refuses to believe I have the game installed.

I hate to have to be the one to break this to you, but since this isn't a problem that everyone (anyone?) else is experiencing, the most likely cause is that your install is messed up.

Uninstall all patches, uninstall PtW and Civ3, then delete the Civ3 and PtW folders manually and reinstall Civ3, PtW and Patch 1.04f.

If that doesn't work - post the crash/bug in the Bugs forum. :)

I'm like 99% sure at this point that the 1.04 patch screwed up my registry when it crashed my OS. It would really explain a great many things.

It doesn't surprise me too much that a patch has just been released right after the game has come out. It seems that these days, it is common practice to release a buggy game, knowing that the community will expect and accept a patch.

However, what frightens me is that up till this morning, you couldn't download the patch from the Firaxis website (you can now). In addition, there isn't any indication on the website that a patch has been released for the game. For that matter, the "official civ 3 website" www.civ3.com, doesn't contain any mention of a patch, no patch to download, or even that Play the World had been released. Heh, I am starting to think that Firaxis doesn't even know that they have shipped the game yet. :D

Installed the expansion and 1.04f patch try to run game, Civ3x.exe has caused GPF and will be terminated. Uninstall expansion and civ 3 reinstall civ3 reinstall 1.29f patch, civ3.exe has caused GPF... WTF! reuinstall civ3, manually delete civ3 directory rereinstall civ3 rereinstall 1.29f rereinstall PTW rereinstall 1.04f patch game runs but shows version 1.01f then rerereintall 1.04f patch finally says correct version number when running game.
Still haven't been able to host an MP game yet, maybe the readme is correct and you can't use NAT firewall.

I couldn't host or participate until I reinstalled 1.29, 1.04, and the game. I can now host games but it seems that I can only play with people who have got the correct install. Without fail, the game will crash if somebody joins in that hasn't got the load straight. I had to set up passwords w/those who have go the install right just so I can play. But, even though I got in and with a ping of 85, I was lagging so bad that I had to get out. I'll come back next week hoping that they've got the bugs worked out.

@minutemanIII:
Yeah, it is a bit of a pain that different versions won't run together, but I guess there's nothing to do about it. A lot of the connection problems are also caused by the fact that people are trying to start up a game where 1 or 2 players are running the bug-infested illegal copy. which causes the entire game to crash, if it even loads. :cry: I wish those people would wise up and get out - it just won't work.

@Cedric Greene
LOL - I think it's a pretty safe bet that the readme is correct. You can't use a NAT Firewall, at least not with NAT enabled. I have started up a thread about routers, firewalls and proxies. Maybe that can help you. If not, post your firewall manufacturer name and model number in that thread, and I'll see if I (or anyone else) can figure it out.

@Stormknight
www.civ3.com isn't run by Firaxis - it's run by Infogrames. Aim your cannons a bit higher :)

@Seraph
Patch 1.04 can't screw up your Registry - Only MS Windows, can do that :D

Well, I got my PTW CD and patch, and haven't had any problems in single player yet. Everything has worked fine. I haven't tried multiplayer yet though.

only play w/those who've got their patch installed right. just ask in the forum and use password or block quickly.

About everyone whos mad at Infogrames for rushing the production of PTW: At least it came out on the actual release date! This is one of the very few games which actually come out when it was supposed to. Nearly every other game comes out late because of the patches.

And about that civ3 site, man those webmasters must be on vacation or something.

I bought PTW at WalMart yesterday and installed it before football.

You'd think the patch would be available at www.civ3.com not really on infogrames! A little annoying..

I had to install the patch and give my system the whole Norton treatment and the crashes stopped.

I havent tried playing a MP which seems to be where people are having trouble with the 1.04 patch, maybe tonight!!

@Seraph
Patch 1.04 can't screw up your Registry - Only MS Windows, can do that
Yeah, well, something screwed it up, and sence the problems were all realted to CIV 3, and the buggy entries were all related to CIV 3, it was something CIV 3 related.

I managed to get everything fixed now, thanks to a little time cleaning and fixing my registry entries. It also fixed all my other problems, so I am happy now.

sorry, this threat was not meant to be here... I 'moved' it myself.
(*Ahh* those Newbie's!) [punch]

Well, working for a company as a programmer on large projects, I can understand why the software was released in the state it was in (management has to enforce a schedule in order to keep enough revenue flowing in to pay for expenses and salaries), though I have never condoned the practice. The reason for the patches is that once the revenue stream has been established, management lets the programmers have enough breathing room to impliment the patched version and test it fully (this can take weeks, even months). Unfortunatly, this is the enevitable result of the trend within the industry to seperate the game design houses (Firaxis) from the game publishers (Infogrames). Sorry folks, but gone are the days of the great all-in-one software publishers like Microprose (Ironically, both Firaxis and Infogrames can trace their lineage back to Microprose). No publisher has the patience, nor design house has enough of a steady cash flow to adaquately fund a full "design to test" cycle.

I may not like it, but I understand it.

Originally posted by Seraph

Yeah, well, something screwed it up, and sence the problems were all realted to CIV 3, and the buggy entries were all related to CIV 3, it was something CIV 3 related.

I managed to get everything fixed now, thanks to a little time cleaning and fixing my registry entries. It also fixed all my other problems, so I am happy now.

I agree, it is a civ3-related problem. I have the game on both of my computers. I got the related problem on my old one (computer), but after I cleaned the registry, it works. Even from the cd-rw, I always use it since the CD player is damaged.
But I also noticed another problem. I located two "civ"setup ini files in the win system32 directory(xp). Those two files were the real problem, and the reason why it was installed incorrectly. After I cleaned the registry and deleted those files, I got no more problems. And now the game even works in LAN, without any big problems.

Ah a classic case of "we rushed the game out to soon and now everybodies mad" *shakes head* dont developers ever learn?

Top Bottom