PTW: The downfall of Civilization

Nicosar ?

Give a try to Medieval Total War, I think you'll love it :D

Nicosar, I appreciated your first post, your second post was informative, but that third post was inflammatory. Why did you resort to ad hominem tactics at the beginning of that third post?
I'll admit that I have been impressed by your vocabulary, but I'll bet there is one word that it does not contain: "diffident."
You even had the audacity to level another insult at us in saying that you would decimate us in some futuristic game that only exists in your mind. I surmise that you would indeed decimate me if the game were strictly a figment of your imagination or if you were to author the game one day... Good luck in achieving your dream of creating that perfect game. I just hope that you realize that in order to accomplish something as great as you envision, you are going to have to learn how to win friends and influence people en route. Insulting others is a good way to lose friends.

I must agree with the others: I like turn-based strategy games, and if this aspect were removed from a future installment, I would not be pleased.

One more thing, before you make your next post, please turn on the edit button in your brain. Yes, you are smart. Yes, you have some good things to say. However, everything that comes to your mind should not be shared with others. You made the statement in another post, " and when you can type this quick, you can say whatever you want." Actually, you can't. Continue posting every fleeting thought that comes to mind, and you will be known as a spammer.

By the way, just in case you didn't know the word diffident:
"hesitant in acting or speaking through lack of self-confidence."

Take care.

"In fact, lets all proclaim......

.....blah......

.....blah......

.....blah......"

Very well said, to be sure.

However, this thread was meant by me to be used for logical debate, not for those who feel threatened in their own petty and malicious little ways to vent their bruised egos.

Im sorry Tankboy, i really am, if my arguments pinched a nerve, but that is not my fault.

You should not allow yourself to be so easily agitated by mere opinions, as you seem intent on clarifying repeatedly what my statements are, its quite simply not good for the old mental health

[ And yes, thank you also for the compliment, me mammy always said I had my screws tightened firmly....;) ]

yes, yes....the first was good, the second too, but the third, apparently, started to cross some bounds....but you will notice if you read their responses to my first post that they are not trying to argue back using their own reasoning: anyone of sound judgement can read their posts and see that they do not feel like debating, but rather thay they are angry and indignant at my 'opinions', and respond as such.

And for those of you not trained to read inbetween the lines, do not strain your eyes! [for it becomes quite clear from their later posts...;) ]

And my third post was in no way enflamatory...they used spicy tongues, so i turned up the heat a few notches myself, so what? It was all in good fun, unless youre going to be a sour grape and spill your milk over it....

Despite just a sentence here and there which betrayed some insinuation on my part, i did not deviate from the business of debating logically the game and its aspects, and so i should be vulnerable to insults because of this! Hypocrits. If that was the case, based on your posts, then i should be allowed to write volumes of trash, but i would not do so, i am already bored of arguing to myself, for it seems these children need their naps and bottles, they are getting cranky, and do not anyway know how to debate with reason.

Okay, Nicosar. This is the last post I make directed towards you, as I, in no way, want to become known as a flamer or a spammer. You were doing well in your response until you accused me of making worthless posts--"volumes of trash" you called it. I have actually made an active effort to refrain from making posts that added nothing to a thread. Like you, I enjoy using language; however, I have an internal filter that guides me.

You called the other posters children. I am honestly beginning to think that YOU are a child, not the ones who have attempted to reason with you. You may be intellectually precocious, but you are far from being mature in your relational abilities. You imply your excellent debating skills through your further disparagement of those who have opposed you, yet any decent debate coach will tell you that one of the most important qualities of a good debater is one who refrains from using ad hominem tactics. You again employed ad hominem tactics in your last post to me. This is shameful and unacceptable, and the mark of an unexperienced, unpolished debater.

no, i meant that if i were to take your insultive posts as a queue then i should be allowed to write 'volumes of trash' worth of insults back at all of you in turn, since it would be fair if justice condoned an eye-for-an-eye philosophy, but since it doesnt I will spare all of you...

See! Nice and tidy, no harm done.

As the majority of my kids in my high school would say, "Oooh! Fight! Fight! Fight! Ooh!"

;) I think I see a mod lurking in the shadows...;) :D

CG

yes, and that mod knows my name well.....

Have pity oh great one whom sees all and hears all!!

IT was not my humble self's fault, it was the infidels, I say!!

wait a second....

"....my kids in my high school...."

are u like a principal?

Originally posted by Nicosar
…this thread was meant by me to be used for logical debate, not for those who feel threatened in their own petty and malicious little ways to vent their bruised egos….

…Im sorry Tankboy, i really am, if my arguments pinched a nerve, but that is not my fault…

…you will notice if you read their responses to my first post that they are not trying to argue back using their own reasoning: anyone of sound judgement can read their posts and see that they do not feel like debating, but rather thay they are angry and indignant at my 'opinions', and respond as such…

…You should not allow yourself to be so easily agitated by mere opinions, as you seem intent on clarifying repeatedly what my statements are, its quite simply not good for the old mental health…

…i am already bored of arguing to myself, for it seems these children need their naps and bottles, they are getting cranky, and do not anyway know how to debate with reason…

It appears I’ve met my match.

What more can a person say when it’s clear that they’re outclassed and outmatched? I must concede to the superior intellect.

Nicosar, your debating skills are just too good for me to compete with.

I need to go “take my nap” because I think I’m “getting cranky”.

This is Tankboy, signing off.

Originally posted by Nicosar
wait a second....

"....my kids in my high school...."

are u like a principal?

:lol: I consider them kids, considering the fact that any sign of an arguement, they stand on the tables and go, "OOH! FIGHT!"
Luckily, I'm not in this high school, but my grammar school is situated in the same building, so we share a cafeteria. I'm going to a different high school, thank you very much. :D

CG

Nicosar, thanks for your civilized response to my last post (pardon the pun). Thanks for clarifying that you didn't mean that all my posts were "volumes of trash." You were nice and succinct, with no ad hominem employed. Thanks! You're right, no harm done.

No one has agreed with Nicosar yet and i just wanted to now just to help him out, but it looks like he could win a battle of words with almost anyone. But i do want to point out i agree with Nicosar that

Quote Nicosar:
AND THEIRS, are just two homogenous chunks of generically formationed fodder troops which must inevitably clash

is almost too true the way that battle is done in civ 3 is just to randomized and based on luck such as when i had 3 veteran musketman lose to 1 regular old spearmen. So battling with diffrent units and diffrent types of strategies is useless.

Nicosar,

Of your 1st post...
I read every word.
I agree with every word!

CIV3 is a flawed work...and could have been the god of the genre that it's predecessors were...

I still think CIV2 MGE and ToT are the best ever...

Pity SID didn't harken back to these instead of trying to appeal to the souless denizens of the console age...

Ah well, we still have CIV2!!!

PS
Yours is the best post I have read in a long time!

Originally posted by JonathanValjean
I guess it just comes down to whether or not a person is willing to tolerate such imperfections. I, for one, enjoy the game so immensely that I am impervious to these problems.

Again, thanks for sharing your comments with us.

I assume you would be happy to buy a car with no wheels as well.

No, as a consumer, I am NOT happy to buy a bug infested, half-made bit of software, just because it has the CIV name on it.

I expect quality, and I want it.
How come 80% of other games releases on the market can deliver bug free entertainment?
While our friends at Firaxis can only fob us off with poor imitations of a classic?

Sorry, John.
But the company behind CIV3, know people like you will happily stick thier hand in their pockets and deal out their hard-earned dough for this bug-covered crime-against-strategy.

That's how they make their profits...

Originally posted by cgannon64

:lol: I consider them kids, considering the fact that any sign of an arguement, they stand on the tables and go, "OOH! FIGHT!"
Luckily, I'm not in this high school, but my grammar school is situated in the same building, so we share a cafeteria. I'm going to a different high school, thank you very much. :D

CG

Nicosar and Johnnie have better command of the English language than most kids I have seen...

And most posters here as well!

Anyway the argument remains the same...CIV3 is so much suckage.

:D

I, reader of many gaming magazines, the lousyest player of civ 3 ever, the one that has played since the day it was released in Finland, hereby release a result of many hours of reading gaming magazines...

Pelit Magazine: 96/100 points for civ 3
Mikrobitti: 94/100 points for civ 3
Tietokone: 90/100 points

And then, my own evaluation:
Even though i have not played the PTW EXPANSION PACK in any other form than single player, but have played the patched original civ 3 in every form there is of it i must give the single player a 110/100 points.
I myself would give Civ 3 a :goodjob: and start saving for civ 4
I have played this game a whole lot, and even though im on a "dry" period ( need to do some work... ) i can't resist Civ 3 for too long, eventually i will sit down next to my computer and see how the computer kicks my butt on regent level ( not litterally ofc ).

Robert

Nicosar, your headgame is beta
More bugs that all of Greneda
With "logic" you came, turn baseness you flame
Call us babies? Sign of an unskilled debater.

All of this PTW stuff should have been put into the game in the first place. To charge $30 for multiplayer is obnoxious but to charge $30 for poor performing multi player is just crap.

There's many other games out there nowadays to compete and outdo Civ, unlike 1995 when Civ 2 was in a class of its own.

Top Bottom