Q's about pitboss and xfire...

Excedrin

Chieftain
If you please,

xfire

Is xfire required to play a direct connect game (no gamespy)? It's my understanding that it should not be.

Pitboss

When you launch pitboss and get to the admin screen and click "finish" is the game supposed to launch automatically or does civ 4 need to be launched separately?

I can setup and play a lan game just fine, no problems.

I'm having a bit of difficulty setting up and connecting a direct ip game.

Scenario:

I have 2 puters on my lan, connected by dsl wireless/wired router. I use one puter as the host (all ports tcp/udp are opened and forwarded to the host puter). Here's the forwarding info:

Service Name *Civ 4
Type Port Forwarding
Port 1
Protocol TCP
Global Port(s) 2033
Base Host Port 2033
Port 2
Protocol UDP
Global Port(s) 2033
Base Host Port 2033
Port 3
Protocol TCP
Global Port(s) 2056
Base Host Port 2056
Port 4
Protocol UDP
Global Port(s) 2056
Base Host Port 2056
Port 5
Protocol TCP
Global Port(s) 2302
Base Host Port 2302
Port 6
Protocol UDP
Global Port(s) 2302
Base Host Port 2302
Port 7
Protocol TCP
Global Port(s) 13139
Base Host Port 13139
Port 8
Protocol UDP
Global Port(s) 13139
Base Host Port 13139
Port 9
Protocol TCP
Global Port(s) 6500
Base Host Port 6500
Port 10
Protocol UDP
Global Port(s) 6500
Base Host Port 6500

I'm trying to connect to the host from the other puter (this one is a wireless, but i have the same trouble if wire connect it to the lan) using direct connect but get time outs. I have no firewall on either machine and use only the dsl modems firewall.

I do have Norton anti-virus running on the host however.

Yes, I know I can run and connect a lan game but I am trying to test the connections for running pitboss games.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Check out my thread - I was dealing with a similar problem and managed to resolve it:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=181006&highlight=pitboss

If I remember correctly, you'll need to modify the port Civ uses for communications - it will need to be different for each of your computers, (it can be found in the .ini file). Also don't forget to then forward those ports on your router.

As far as your pitboss question - the program merely hosts the game, the actual Civ interface is not running. You need to join it to play.

LordRahl,

YOU THE MAN :goodjob:

One thing puzzles me though...

The only way I am able to connect to the pitboss game is from an internal IP. If I enter my external IP from either machine it times out.

Setup:

Host machine runs pitboss - port 2056 TCP/UDP forwarded at the router to this machine - local IP 192.168.1.100 Ini file NetComm port - 2056.

Laptop runs client (Civ IV) - Can Connect only with direct connect using 192.168.1.100. Ini file NetComm port - 2057 UDP forwarded at the router to this machine (192.168.1.94).

I also run a client on the same machine pitboss is running and can connect using the local IP 192.168.1.100.

Is there no way for me to direct connect the laptop by using the external IP address?

It seems this way, even though I am running pitboss I am still running a LAN game just using pitboss. Correct?

If your laptop is already on LAN, why do you want to connect to the Pitboss using external IP?

If you want to play a game just between your computer and your laptop on the same LAN, then Pitboss is the wrong way to do it. Just host regular game without Pitboss.

By the way - regarding your original question - xfire is not required to play a direct IP game.

If your laptop is already on LAN, why do you want to connect to the Pitboss using external IP?

If you want to play a game just between your computer and your laptop on the same LAN, then Pitboss is the wrong way to do it. Just host regular game without Pitboss.

By the way - regarding your original question - xfire is not required to play a direct IP game.

I wanted to test whether someone else could connect from outside our lan.

They should be able to - just remember to assign a new port for them, and when they connect to your machine they should include the port after colon when specifying the address.

If you want you can get this all set up, and pm me the info, and I'll try to join you when I get a chance.

If the game PC and the pitboss server are both inside the LAN, trying to go to the pitboss server's external IP address generally will not work because most firewalls will not redirect outbound IP traffic around to internal (NAT-ed) servers.

Top Bottom