Question About Barracks

WickedWombat

Rodent Without A Clue
Just wondering out of curiosity, is there a reason to build barracks in every city? I am currently playing Monarch as the Iroquois on a continent by myself and the maintenance is killing me:cry:

Is there a ratio of barracks to total cities that you all use?

Thanks in advance :cool:

The reason to build in every city is that every city then can produce veteran military units and heal them in one turn (obviously).

This is probably not a good use of money/resources though, as you don't need every city to produce military, at least not until late in the game when the cities has all other improvements.

If you're building for war, then non-barrack cities are useful for building artillery (as barracks doesn't matter) or ships if on the coast (as harbours is what gives veterans). You could also build regular units for your home defense (especially after railroads), just to make sure that you're not sneak attacked by an enemy units, and you don't need barracks for those.

Speaking of maintenance, When a wonder like Sun Tzu's or Pyramids gives you Barracks or Granaries in multiple cities, I believe it also pays for their maintenance. From what I remember, there is no red money icon next to them, and that is what I am basing my assumption upon. Can anyone confirm this?

I for one, am paranoid about sneak attacks, so I have veteran defense in every city. On the other hand, I only have one unit in non-border cities because I don't want to pay upkeep, so I guess I'm not that paranoid.

I put barracks in all cities where I want to produce land units, and in cities on hostile borders.

Speaking of maintenance, When a wonder like Sun Tzu's or Pyramids gives you Barracks or Granaries in multiple cities, I believe it also pays for their maintenance. From what I remember, there is no red money icon next to them, and that is what I am basing my assumption upon. Can anyone confirm this?
You do not pay for any buildings 'created' by a wonder. AFAIK, the buildings do not actually exist - the wonder merely imitates their function.

You are correct. If you want the wonder to take effect in cities that already had a barracks, you just sell the existing barracks. The wonder will automatically put one back in there for you and pay it's maintenance.

so when you build wonder, you should sell all baracks?

also, you cannot sell baracks that are produced by wonder?

Originally posted by Civddict
so when you build wonder, you should sell all baracks?

also, you cannot sell baracks that are produced by wonder?
Correct on both counts.

how do you sell barracks?, yes, i'm a n00b.

If you wish to sell the Barracks, you must do it before the Wonder is finished. I do not believe you can sell them once the Wonder is built. You are not charged maintenance on them, though.

One reason to keep the already built Barracks is they will still be there if the city with Sun Tzu is captured. The same is true for the Pyramid and Granaries.

Originally posted by farting bob
how do you sell barracks?, yes, i'm a n00b.

Go to the City Screen, right-click on the barracks in the improvements list in the lower left corner, and a menu with Sell on top will pop-up, then choose Sell.

If you build a wonder but already have improvements that it replaces in a city, you can sell them before or after the wonder is built. Simply right click on the building in the improvements list to the left in the city screen. If you have an 'extra' building, it will give you the option to sell.

Bob,

In the city display, right click on the barracks icon in the lower left (city improvements list), and a pop-up will give you the option to sell.

thanx guys! :D

:ar15::santa::rocket2:
[plasma]:jesus::rocket:
:lol:

This is for me the reason to choose for instance Egyptians as I start building Pyramids right away after the 10th turn or so. I then have granaries everywhere automatically and my golden age. After this I go with science for Sun Tzu for my barracks. I want these in all of my cities as mentioned earlier to have veteran defense and quick recovery of units. These two are really important to me to be able to win at the higher levels. Not sure if you can work to Sun Tzu asap as well. (as I do with the Pyramids I mean) Anyone?

Pyramids are a must for me on every game I play (I'm on Monarch now). I usually only build 1 granary to pump out settlers in the very beginning and use my 2nd or 3rd city to start work on the Pyramids.

I would love to get Sun Tzu built before I build any barracks but it usually comes too late for me and I already have barracks in all my cities. Unfortunately I may never see Sun Tzu because the maintenance on all my barracks is killing my research effort and I am getting way behind in tech :cry:

I could use the barracks to my advantage and kick everyone's butt but I am isolated on 1 continent and have just recently got the ability to build galleys because my research is so slow. The other continents are too far away and my galleys would sink before I even get the chance to attack. It's about 550 AD and I know that the other civs are way ahead of me. :crazyeye:

I know that it was probably stupid for me to build barracks in the 25 - 30 cities that I have, but do you guys know a way to balance your defensive stance and still crank out research to be competive?

I appreciate your input...

Sun Tzu must wait until you are in the Middle Ages. You'll get there faster with an expansionist civ, such as the Americans who can also start building the Pyramids right away. If you must have Religion then that won't work for you. Religion/Expansionist is not the best combination.

WickedWombat, I like Sun Tzu even if I've built lots of barracks. Eventually, it pays off on a huge map. You might try building barracks in only about 25% of your cities, enough to put out a handful of veteran units early in the game while the other cities are building settlers, wonders, marketplaces, libraries, etc. Then build Sun Tzu, sell your barracks, and let the other cities contribute. Of course, Sun Tzu won't help on other continents so that has to be a consideration, too. You need a big continent to make it pay big.

if i play as egypt, one of my fav civs, i don't build the pyrimids for a while or never at all. most times, if i build the pymamids it goes into your golden age. However it is much better to get a GA in middle or industrial age, as there is more you might want to build, if you build them in ancient ages then you tend to waste it. i wait for other wonders to get my GA.

In my opinion, the Pyramids-Golden Age combo makes the Egyptians more 'expansionist' than an expansionist civ. You can get an incredible growth spurt if you have room to grow and play it right.

But if you get your GA to early (despotsim) the corruption wastes a lot of the benefits of the GA. I like to play egypt to and I prefer to get a GA in the early medieval ages, in republic, to get a head start on sixtine's, Sun Tzu's and Leo's...

Top Bottom