Question about civilizations/traits

samzonx

Chieftain
So i am pretty new to civ5/G&K (i never played 5 for more than a few hours with out getting bored, but G&K has piqued my interest.) and i cant seem to find resources for this anywhere.

im curious if there is a detailed guide to all the civilizations and their bonuses, like what exactly the differences between the standard and special units (or buildings) that they replace, but my real question is:

is there any where i can see the influenced spawn factors per civilization?
ive noticed (and it even indicates this in the game setup with an option to force total random) that each civilization favors certain start biomes, like Egypt will even on a shuffle/random map spawn in some desert area with rivers and hills, or maya will spawn with hills and forests.

common sense would tell me england would spawn on an island and such, but is there any specific documentation on how it all pans out? i have played about 5 full games thus far, and i find myself pretty competitive. i love the wonder completion rate ability for egypt but i find that due to the massively deficient:c5production: in desert/oasis/river tiles, the 20% bonus was completely DWARFED by a Chinese start, maybe i got unlucky or something. but thus far every start has been fairly unfavorable with the exception of my Chinese game, which was an amazing start but the civilization itself doesn't suit me.

Anyway, sorry for long rant im just trying to figure out what civilization to play. (trying to have high production but fast growth :l )

Open the civilopedia from the main menu and start browsing the civs and leaders

The civs tend to spawn in areas that would favor utilization of their uniques.

Open the civilopedia from the main menu and start browsing the civs and leaders

The civs tend to spawn in areas that would favor utilization of their uniques.

appreciate the response, but im looking to see if anyone has mapped out what kind of spawns are consistent, specific resources, favored tiles (tile ratios, even?) etc. id figure someone has done this, or am i the only person who looks this deep into things?

You can look up the XML code or the forum for "starting bias." Many civs have starting bias, which impact where they spawn (coast or river or near/away from certain types of tiles).

The start biases aren't as specific as you think. If I recall correctly, these are all of them:

Coastal/ocean start bias: England, Ottomans, Polynesia, Spain, Denmark, Carthage, (possibly the Netherlands? not sure)
Forest: Iroquois, Celts
Jungle: Aztec, Maya
Tundra: Russia
Avoid Jungles and Forests: Arabia, Egypt
Avoid Forests(not sure if I remember this one right): Siam
Hills/Mountains: Inca

Americans used to have a River start bias but I think they removed that

I don't believe the Netherlands has an ocean bias. I've never spawned on a coast with them - usually with marshes/forests or occasionally flood plains.

Unless G&K changed things Arabia & Egypt start near Desert

Also the Tundra bias for Russia is also a near one

By contrast the Jungle & Forest biases are in the middle of that terrain.

Vanilla also has a river bias option, but after the first few patches, America's bias to start on a river was removed. (No other civs had it)

Vanilla doesn't have any avoid starting terrain biases nor does it have a hill one. If G&K does, it new to G&K.

Also, when playing on a real earth maps and other static maps the starting bias is disabled. (The bias only works on the scripted maps)

Unless G&K changed things Arabia & Egypt start near Desert

Also the Tundra bias for Russia is also a near one

By contrast the Jungle & Forest biases are in the middle of that terrain.

Vanilla also has a river bias option, but after the first few patches, America's bias to start on a river was removed. (No other civs had it)

Vanilla doesn't have any avoid starting terrain biases nor does it have a hill one. If G&K does, it new to G&K.

Also, when playing on a real earth maps and other static maps the starting bias is disabled. (The bias only works on the scripted maps)

I think Inca have a hill starting bias.

The start biases aren't as specific as you think. If I recall correctly, these are all of them:

Coastal/ocean start bias: England, Ottomans, Polynesia, Spain, Denmark, Carthage, (possibly the Netherlands? not sure)
Forest: Iroquois, Celts
Jungle: Aztec, Maya
Tundra: Russia
Avoid Jungles and Forests: Arabia, Egypt
Avoid Forests(not sure if I remember this one right): Siam
Hills/Mountains: Inca

Americans used to have a River start bias but I think they removed that

I find the Americans get a tundra start often.

Top Bottom