Start locations

For sure a CIV5 city is the same than a CIV6 districts city. :mischief:
A 6 years newer game with the map covered by districts for civs with wasted terrain related bonus that commonly needs you to restart the game is a map size related issue.
Now you’re moving the goalposts and arguing something entirely different than what you initially claimed.

Judging by achievements, large and huge are not the most popular map sizes anyway. So most players are in actuality playing on maps that are bigger than they were in civ 5.
Judging by achievements...
* Each achievements about map size are unlocked once by each player, they dont reflect the real regular preference of players.
Now you’re moving the goalposts and arguing something entirely different than what you initially claimed.
The original points...
I think the problem of wasted started possitions have multiple reasons:
- Unpolished (to say the least) world map generation. We can always look at community mods and to previous iterations of the serie to see better works regarding map generation. One element that is a clear sign of a turn in the wrong direction by Firaxis is the progressive reduction of maps sizes, something that by default reduce the number and size of usefull zones for the proper bias terrains.
- The maximisation of district adjacency bonus feels overdone. In their basic premise districts are OK but I would like to ballance them in things like limit their placement to be continous to others districts of the same city, with a tech/transport based max distance from the city center.
Knowing the arrangment of a few starting tiles could lead to such significative bonus synergy that ceratainly ruin many unlucky matches.
*"turn in the wrong direction" like you know there is a point where the average and max size of map was reduced despite computational capacities were higher?!
* "something that by default reduce the number and size of usefull zones for the proper bias terrains" another part ignored.
*The whole second point about the districts and how that requires more tiles to work.

There are even community experiments were people found that any AI work better in any map size if the number of civs is less that the default for such maps since the civs have more space to play properly, can you see how the game would have been better with actually bigger maps?
Or what about all that people that dont play big maps just because they have low specs PCs?

Last edited:
There are even community experiments were people found that any AI work better in any map size if the number of civs is less that the default for such maps since the civs have more space to play properly, can you see how the game would have been better with actually bigger maps?
That’s just not true. You are really overestimating the importance of map size—and I am saying that as the author of most popular large map size mod on the Steam workshop (Larger Map Sizes).

The civ spawning script is very flawed and doesn’t space civs out further and further apart with bigger map sizes. Whether your map is 100x60 or 120x80 or 144x90, major civs will spawn about 9 tiles apart. The only real thing different about AI outcomes is that one AI will have an easier time snowballing by spamming more cities—usually whoever gets to settle the empty space first. Absolutely nothing about city planning or district placement is changed.

That’s just not true. You are really overestimating the importance of map size—and I am saying that as the author of most popular large map size mod on the Steam workshop (Larger Map Sizes).

The civ spawning script is very flawed and doesn’t space civs out further and further apart with bigger map sizes. Whether your map is 100x60 or 120x80 or 144x90, major civs will spawn about 9 tiles apart. The only real thing different about AI outcomes is that one AI will have an easier time snowballing by spamming more cities—usually whoever gets to settle the empty space first. Absolutely nothing about city planning or district placement is changed.
Thats just not true... overstimating...AI will have an easier time snowballing by spamming more cities. :crazyeye:
Try to see the forest behind the tree!

By the way wonder what happened with the achievement "map numbers" ;)

“Thats just not true... overstimating...AI will have an easier time snowballing by spamming more cities. :crazyeye:
Try to see the forest behind the tree!”

You literally said it made the AI plan cities better. It doesn’t. Please try to remain focused on what your actual claims are vis a vis my responses.

By the way wonder what happened with the achievement "map numbers" ;)
You can drop the smarmy sarcasm please.

Your claim about the achievements was so strange and missing the mark that I ignored it. But if you want a response, it’s this: the achievements clearly reflect fewer people have completed a game with large or huge vs the smaller sizes. I don’t know how to make that any clearer for you.

You literally said it made the AI plan cities better. It doesn’t. Please try to remain focused on what your actual claims are vis a vis my responses.

You can drop the smarmy sarcasm please.

Your claim about the achievements was so strange and missing the mark that I ignored it. But if you want a response, it’s this: the achievements clearly reflect fewer people have completed a game with large or huge vs the smaller sizes. I don’t know how to make that any clearer for you.
The Steam numbers for achievements are basically:
* 15% on Huge
* 10% on Large
* 21% on Standard
* 20% on Small
* 7% on Tiny
* 6% on Duel
There is NOT fewer people completing large and huge than the smaller sizes (tiny and duel).
Huge have more than Duel and Tiny together, even the fact that Huge is higher than Large tell us more about people preference. Meanwhile Standard is labeled standard, do you think that have something to do with people trying it first or the most?
The only significative is small (that is not the smaller) and then we most remember that many people strugle with even run the game.

Beside the achievement are not indicative of maps popularity, and popularity itself do not mean the game can not be improved in obvious aspects.

The Steam numbers for achievements are basically:
* 15% on Huge
* 10% on Large
* 21% on Standard
* 20% on Small
* 7% on Tiny
* 6% on Duel
Which is…exactly what I said. Many more players on standard and small than large and huge. You like performing arithmetic in your posts here, so I’ll point that over 50% of players are accounted for with standard and smaller sizes.

Meanwhile Standard is labeled standard, do you think that have something to do with people trying it first or the most?
Yeah it’s standard because… most people don’t play large or huge. What are you not understanding here? :confused:

Beside the achievement are not indicative of maps popularity, and popularity itself do not mean the game can not be improved in obvious aspects.
These are the only actual data we have to go off of. The numbers support exactly what I said. They are meaningful and it’s silly to try to dismiss them. You are literally looking at rates of completing a game with the map sizes in question. If they supported what you claim I’m sure you’d be singing a different tune at any rate.

But if you believe they don’t matter then why did you spend the rest of your post trying to twist the interpretation to try mean what you want them to say?

Last edited:
Why would Aztecs get access to a feitoria? :confused:
Re-read the post.
I’m saying that unique buildings could be earnable, as opposed to unique units being actually unique to the civilization, and this was just the random example that I picked.
Starting points have a lot to do with how you’re going to play the rest of the game.

I’m saying that unique buildings could be earnable, as opposed to unique units being actually unique to the civilization, and this was just the random example that I picked.
I'm sure we could actually come up with an Aztec unique that could be built on water/coast though. The easiest thing to do is allow chinampas to be built upon coast tiles as well, considering lake tiles are already scarce.

Top Bottom