Question about Petra

On many desert, river starts, there are 1 or 2 wheat tiles, 1 or more gold luxs, other luxs such as incense or sugar, and stone and/or marble, all on desert terrain, and within workable range for a capitol city. Petra becomes prohibitively powerful under these circumstances. You can spam wonders in 6 turns per.

I had a city like this in a recent game, and the two closest AIs DoWed me immediately after I completed Petra.

Desert Folklore makes this start even more powerful.

It does, desert folklore, petra and morocco kabashes could make desert tiles valuable.

Even on good desert location Perta does like +5 food +5 hammer in average until late game + let's say +5 food from caravan or +12 gold.
That is a lot, but not guaranteed win, especially because it comes when core cities are already placed. (I'd rather get 3 salts or 3 jungle gems in Capital).
I'd say it is rather the one who is leading at start will get Petra, not the other way.

Fresh water hills. A farm instead of a mine on a hill with fresh water will give +2 food after civil service and thus become a 2 food/2 hammers tile. These are valuable tiles because you can work hammers while still working growth. With petra such dessert hills become 3 food/3 hammer tiles, or alternativly with a mine (in case of no fresh water) it would become 1 food/4 hammers. But certainly the combination of high food and hammer yield per tile is very usefull.

And it's also true what you say that the pure dessert tiles don't become very usefull. Really when one evaluate's a "good petra spot" one will look how much "petra hills" it could have, especially fresh water ones, especially river side ones that can be further buffed by a hydro dam.

Or alternativly, if youre inca, you can go entirely crazy on dessert hills being bordered by mountains and even rivers. Wih the right land Inca can have like 5 to 10 tiles with an average 5 food/ 3 hammers after petra, thanks to terrace farms and buffs like the mountains and maybe even a river.
Aha, so your looking for rivers and hills, as hills have a base +2 production. So hilly landscapes :). That makes sense, I was confused why anyone would build such a wonder if they could just instead settle on plains haha.

Desert folklore is a pantheon belief that provides +1 faith for each desert tile. Kasbah is a unique tile improvement (only Morocco can build it) that provides +1 food, +1 production and +1 gold for each desert tile. If you stack Petra, Kasbah and Desert folklore, a plain desert tile (which ordinarily has no yield) will provide +2 food, +2 production, +1 gold and +1 faith -- pretty nice tile yield.

Desert folklore is a pantheon belief that provides +1 faith for each desert tile. Kasbah is a unique tile improvement (only Morocco can build it) that provides +1 food, +1 production and +1 gold for each desert tile. If you stack Petra, Kasbah and Desert folklore, a plain desert tile (which ordinarily has no yield) will provide +2 food, +2 production, +1 gold and +1 faith -- pretty nice tile yield.

So that's why people say desert starts are OP, seems a bit too situational to me. Your going to need the right civ, the right start (desert) and also grab Petra first. But I see once you have it it can lead to powerhouse cities, those would be some pretty insane tiles.

+5food +5 production +1 gold + 1 faith on a hill- right?

That would be pretty damn awesome.

No way to get to +5 food, +5 production, +1 gold and +1 faith.

A Moroccan desert hill will either be Kasbah'd, mined, trading posted, or, if adjacent to fresh water, farmed.
  • If Kasbah'd, it will yield +2 food, +4 production, +1 gold and +1 faith.

• If mined, it will yield +1 food, +5 production (+6 after Chemistry) and +1 faith.

• If trading posted, it will yield +1 food, +3 production, +3 gold (after Economics), +1 beaker (after Free Thought) and +1 faith.

• If farmed, it will yield +3 food (+1 from Petra and +2 from a post-Civil Service farm), +3 production and +1 faith.
In each case, if the hill tile is next to a river and you build Hydro Dam, add +1 production. This also ignores ideological bonuses, like Five-Year Plan.

No way to get to +5 food, +5 production, +1 gold and +1 faith.

A Moroccan desert hill will either be Kasbah'd, mined, trading posted, or, if adjacent to fresh water, farmed.
  • If Kasbah'd, it will yield +2 food, +4 production, +1 gold and +1 faith.

• If mined, it will yield +1 food, +5 production (+6 after Chemistry) and +1 faith.

• If trading posted, it will yield +1 food, +3 production, +3 gold (after Economics), +1 beaker (after Free Thought) and +1 faith.
  • If farmed, it will yield +3 food (+1 from Petra and +2 from a post-Civil Service farm), +3 production and +1 faith.
In each case, if the hill tile is next to a river and you build Hydro Dam, add +1 production. This also ignores ideological bonuses, like Five-Year Plan.

Oh I read it wrong. Improvement, not building. So it replaces farm/mine etc.

You dont always have to kasbah all the desert tiles though, you can vary from farm, mine or kasbah depending on what your city needs.

I wish they had a "Petra" type building for Tundra tiles,....

It would be a interesting duel!!

Petra, with "Desert Folklore" VS. North Pole (or whatever), with "Dance of the Aurora"

So that's why people say desert starts are OP, seems a bit too situational to me. Your going to need the right civ, the right start (desert) and also grab Petra first. But I see once you have it it can lead to powerhouse cities, those would be some pretty insane tiles.

A powerhouse city rather since the bonuses from Petra only apply to the city that built it, not all cities. Morocco in desert with Kasbahs and Desert Folklore leads to better desert cities than the average civ in desert with Desert Folklore, but only one real powerhouse city (if you can beat the AI to Petra).

So that's why people say desert starts are OP, seems a bit too situational to me. Your going to need the right civ, the right start (desert) and also grab Petra first. .

Just desert folklore is already powerful enough with its numerous and early faith. Desert start also allow your capital to build Petra, much more powerful than buiding it at a small other city. River and wheat is nearly ensured.

Petra is buildable on Immortal? I was able to hard build it 3 out of 4 times recently, and was still able to rush build Notre Dame with my Liberty finisher GE. Teching to Currency didn't take me far off optimal tech track.

Petra is buildable on Immortal? I was able to hard build it 3 out of 4 times recently, and was still able to rush build Notre Dame with my Liberty finisher GE. Teching to Currency didn't take me far off optimal tech track.

It could even be buildable in deity.

It could even be buildable in deity.

I've never gotten it on deity, but there have been times where I had a shot if I were willing to prioritize it.

I'm so locked in on deity that I don't plan for Petra and when its still there and I have a suitable location, I'm not willing to take the risk.

I've never gotten it on deity, but there have been times where I had a shot if I were willing to prioritize it.

I'm so locked in on deity that I don't plan for Petra and when its still there and I have a suitable location, I'm not willing to take the risk.

Deity ais usually get desert starts then.

Top Bottom