• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Question about trade -- why do different cities get different income from trade?

The Fjonis

Prince
I've noticed in some of my games that cities that are apparently quite similar can have very different trade incomes. For example, one coastal city might have 5 gold from each trade route (which are foreign), while another city might have only 1 gold from each (which usually then are trade routes with other cities in my civilization). I am aware that some improvements etc can give increased trade income, but I don't think this can account for it all..

So, what exactly determines

a) the number of trade routes in a city?
b) the income from each trade route?

Thank you! :)

The number are affected by some tecnologies, a civic and some wonders
Liberalism adds one in all cities and great lighthouse adds 2 in all coastal cities for exemple
currency adds one in all cities too
and in the exp the Castle adds one untill cannons or something like that

The income per trade route is determined primarily by the distance between the cities, with a significant bonus for foreign trade routes. Population is also taken into account (on both ends). Note that trade routes are constantly recalculated to maximize income.

You can only have 1 trade to a foreign city and hardors increase trade route yield by 50% so thats why they get all the good ones.

Top Bottom