Question For Lefties

Status
Not open for further replies.

John L

Crusty Old Fart
I'm left handed, and have been a Civ player for almost twenty years. But I have some Civilization games that are a royal pain in the 'Backside' to play, because they are not user friendly to lefties.

So my question is: which Civilization do you like best, based on it being user friendly to Lefties? And please explain why it is more user friendly than others. I have my favorite one, but will let others give their opinions first.

I am a lefty, and have no problems playing civ... I just have my mouse programed the way I like it.

I don't find it any different than playing other games. I learned a long time ago to use my right as my mouse hand so it isn't that hard for me.

I am left handed but use the mouse right handed.

I do this at work. But at home i use my left hand(im naturally left handed). But no problem to play civ left left handed!

And here I was thinking the topic title was for the Leftist political ideology. I thought it was that way up until post #3.

I too am left handed (kick and write lefty) but use the mouse right handed. As for the laptop, I use the touchpad with my right hand..

I'm left-handed, but I used to have to share a computer to right-handed people, so I adapted to using right-handed settings. I just use a right-handed mouse wiht my left hand.

But with Civ, I often use a touchpad.

I too am left handed (kick and write lefty) but use the mouse right handed. As for the laptop, I use the touchpad with my right hand..

I remember now when i had a laptop and i always used my left hand...

I'm always surprised how the left handers have such good abilities to ''switch'' hands easily in some cases while all the right handers i know have no clue how to use their left hand! :lol:

We live in a right handers world...we have to adapt. It's in our genes :D

Thinking of that...have you all realized that the only thing that automatically fit for left handers are how kitchen utensils are placed in restaurants. We don't need to switch back and forth our fork and knife while we eat especially when it comes to cut our aliments before eating them. Well for myself i cut things with my right hand and use my left hand to pick aliments. I don't need to switch back ustensils.

Long live the left handers!!!

Aw, I was looking forward to an angry political rant. :(

Anyways, I'm left handed, but I've just learnt to play with my right hand. Mostly because the alternative is (evidently) a pain.

I'm left handed, but use the same computer set ups as a right handed person. Trying to get alternate hardware and shortcuts has always seemed like too big a bother. Besides, having my dominant hand on the keyboard has rarely struck me as a problem in gaming.

Civ is a low-pressure kind of game anyway; keyboard shortcuts have little appeal to me as I'm under no time pressure whatsoever while playing.

Hehe, people, have you clicked on his username? It links to his "homepage site", which is a political forum. So, you might guess the trolling goal behind this thread. There is even a "Leftist" subforum, not I digged further because I have no interest in politics at all.

And here I was thinking the topic title was for the Leftist political ideology. I thought it was that way up until post #3.

That's because you are right handed. All left handed people(or most anyway) know about the word 'Leftie' when talking about which side of the brain is dominant.

But this is what is nice about life: we tend to learn things all the time. :goodjob:

Hehe, people, have you clicked on his username? It links to his "homepage site", which is a political forum. So, you might guess the trolling goal behind this thread. There is even a "Leftist" subforum, not I digged further because I have no interest in politics at all.

You really are a jerk, par excelence. You know that?! Now, please take your cynicism somewhere else. I'm trying to converse with adults.

Other than the jerk above, who did the same thing at the Civ IV section, I had a purpose for asking this. And it pertains to my being left handed. I've been a huge player in Civ III for many years now, and love the game. But it has some limitations.

When I bought my first Civ IV game, I was hampered by the fact that I was totally unable to play the game with any fluid motion, like I could in Civ III. In it, I could use my left hand for the mouse, and use it for 'selection' purposes, and at the same time use the right hand to initiate the action. It was a very fluild 'point-click, point-click method that allowed me to really fly in the game. But in Civ IV this is something I am not able to do. And that is why I held off on purchasing Civ V, because the same design team in Civ IV almost certainly were the same ones with this edition, Civ V.

So, before I break down and step up to 'V', I need to know if there is some way I can play the game and do so in such a manner that allows me to use both hands in fluid motion. That's why I asked for Lefties to respond here, in order to pass on their experiences. And I wasn't expecting some people to act like adolescents, as 'Whats-his-face' above.

But the rest of you, who are left handed, and know how to set up the keyboard to maximum advantage, please pass this along to me, as I'd like to move up, but if it is as hard as with Civ IV, I'm not sure it is really worth the time.

Thanks.

I'm left-handed and I don't see the problem? I just use the mouse right-handed.

I'm left-handed and I don't see the problem? I just use the mouse right-handed.

Why do you do that? Have you actually tried to do this using your left hand? Because if you did, and you were able to use that in conjunction with the right hand working the right side of the keyboard simultaneously, you would become more efficient. I'm really looking for a system where both hands can be used together.

Ok, but can you make it so the left hand does one particular thing, and the right hand does another? Are you using your left hand to perform all of the actions? In other words, point(click) to highlight the subject, and then use the left hand to click on the action sequence? If you do that, you are utilizing both hands more efficiently. Its burdensome and takes up more time and effort if there is not a system involved.

Or are you using a technique where you can highlight with the left click, and initiate action with the right hand. For example, are there hot keys that the right hand can do, while the left hand is initiating traffic?

Is there any way to customize the hot keys? That's probably what I mean.

Why do you do that? Have you actually tried to do this using your left hand? Because if you did, and you were able to use that in conjunction with the right hand working the right side of the keyboard simultaneously, you would become more efficient. I'm really looking for a system where both hands can be used together.

The same reason I write with my left hand; I'm far more efficient with my right hand for gaming. I've tried using a mouse with my left hand, but prefer using my right.

Ok, but can you make it so the left hand does one particular thing, and the right hand does another? Are you using your left hand to perform all of the actions? In other words, point(click) to highlight the subject, and then use the left hand to click on the action sequence? If you do that, you are utilizing both hands more efficiently. Its burdensome and takes up more time and effort if there is not a system involved.

For Civilization, I rarely use my left hand except to move the map around, and for general gaming I use my left hand for keyboard commands.

Or are you using a technique where you can highlight with the left click, and initiate action with the right hand. For example, are there hot keys that the right hand can do, while the left hand is initiating traffic?

My right hand never touches the keyboard unless I'm typing out something.

Is there any way to customize the hot keys? That's probably what I mean.

I would think so, but I'm sure somebody who actually has messed with the hotkeys in Civilization knows more about it than I do.

You really are a jerk, par excelence. You know that?! Now, please take your cynicism somewhere else. I'm trying to converse with adults.

Hey hey, calm down. I have seen a spectrum of all kinds of trolling personalities and given I had no idea what your OP post meant and made a deduction because of the site, I made a judgement error.
Calling names won't go far.

So, really, playing with the left hand makes a chore of playing games? Albeing being leftist myself, that explains why I naturally chose very early to play with the right hand. I didn't know it made a difference which hand one uses.

I saw my profile and it says best storyteller ever. :)
There are so many storytellers out there and walt disney was one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom