Quick Answers (formerly Newbie Questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I can't figure out, how disband of units work.

When I do a disband of a unit in a city, sometimes shield are returned and sometimes not. What rules define when I get something back and when I get nothing?

And if I do get shields back, what defines how many I get?

Thanks in advance.

If you disband a unit, you get 1/5 of the shield cost to build back, eg, if you disband a warrior, you get 2 shields; if you disband a tank, you get 20 shields.

You do not get the shields, however, if the city is constructing a wonder of any sort.

Does this mean that I can't add additional shields to wonders or to small wonders to hurry them? (Which is what I have been trying to do most of the time).

Disband can then only be used to produce 'normal' stuctures, as understand you.

Thank you.

If you get a great leader (GL) you can use that to hurry up the building of a wonder but that is all, I think.
If you want a wonder then what you can do is 'pre build' it. That means you start building your palace in another city and by the time that you have researched a tech with the wonder that you want you can swap over to the wonder and have it built quicker.

about disband... if you have democracy or rupublic you also don't have to pay for the unit resulting in more cash each turn:)

But I didn't get a chance to see if there were any answers and I don't see that that thread is still around...

Is there an easy way to find workers that you accidently automated so that they stop irrigating over my mines. It gets to be a problem with immense empires and the screen flashing all over the place...

Is there an easy way to find workers that you accidently automated so that they stop irrigating over my mines. It gets to be a problem with immense empires and the screen flashing all over the place...

Im sorry to say, no. :( There is no easy way of finding which of your workers are automated. But if you want to automate workers, without them replacing the terrain improvements already there, then press Shift + A.

Sorry i couldn't help...

Originally posted by Guacamole
But I didn't get a chance to see if there were any answers and I don't see that that thread is still around...

I believe the only possible way to do it is just click each worker independently on the map. (which isn't very easy).

Here's one question that has been bothering me, and nw I can ask it, since this is no longer the "newbie" thread!

How the heck do you name units?! I've looked all over, and I can't! btw, I have PTW ver 1.1

Originally posted by Ant509y
Here's one question that has been bothering me, and nw I can ask it, since this is no longer the "newbie" thread!

How the heck do you name units?! I've looked all over, and I can't! btw, I have PTW ver 1.1

When you select a unit there should be a button above the "info box" in the bottom right hand cornor of the screen. I believe the button shows an "A" or something like that. It allows you to rename units.

That's kindof odd... I haven't seen that button anywhere. And what's more, I still do not see it! I do have the PTW version that comes simply out of the box, no patches added yet.

Originally posted by Ant509y
That's kindof odd... I haven't seen that button anywhere. And what's more, I still do not see it! I do have the PTW version that comes simply out of the box, no patches added yet.

The button has "ABC" on it and the hotkey is Shift-N; however, you will not see it unless you turn on the "Show Advanced Unit Actions Buttons" preference. See below for the preference that needs to be checked and what the button looks like. I think this was present in the out-of-the-box version of PTW, but if not, you may need to patch to 1.21f (which I would recommend doing regardless.)

If you don't upgrade to the newest patch you will be looked down upon as not a serious player, and worse, the people who answer these questions will not know the right answers, if there is a change from "out of the box" to patch so and so.

You wouldn't want them to feel confused and upset that they were not completely able to answer any questions, would you.

I thought not.

I have a huge navy and I was thinking about blockading my enemy. But, I dont know to do that. Can someone help? And also, do you have to blockade all the enemycoastal cities or just those which have harbours. I think it's the latter but am not sure. Please Help!

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by carlosMM
Gainy Bo: there used to be a 95% chance of getting Nat, but with PTW and some patch this was changed.....

sorry, this is not in the FAQ as the current FAQ-ers do not do updates it seems.

I thought we added this in. I'm guessing not, Mr. Sir. carlosMM. ;)

Hmm. . .'Quick Answers' instead of 'Newbie Questions'. . . New name, same great taste, huh? :crazyeye:

Originally posted by bippukt
I have a huge navy and I was thinking about blockading my enemy. But, I dont know to do that. Can someone help? And also, do you have to blockade all the enemycoastal cities or just those which have harbours. I think it's the latter but am not sure. Please Help!

Thanks in advance!

To blockade you must cut off the cities with harbors. You can do this by placing boats in the the sea squares they use to send boats through. At the start of the game this is easy as all you have to is close off the coastal tiles, but once you get navigation it is very difficult as you have to cut of ALL sea tiles.

You "cut off" the tiles but placing a boat in each tile intill there is no possible way for a "trade ship" to get by.

True, Strider, but it doesn't matter what tech they have. If the port is blocked so that no one can get a ship to that city except for you, it's blockaded. Of course, by the time you get to Navigation it's a bit more difficult because of the number of cities involved.

It should be noted that you cant blockade a city with an airport. At least, I've never been able to do it.

how do you make all those various smilies?

Click on 'Post Reply', and it will give you a smilie list to the left of your post. This also shows up on the New Post screen, edit screen, and quote screen. If you're using MacOS style, there's a link to click on it near the quick reply box.

Thanks, Strider and Turner_727! :)

So, all I have to do is to blockade all his cities with harbours, right? And, to blockade a city, I have to place warships adjacent to the city, such that all the adjacent coastal squares have atleast one warship. Is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom