Quick Answers (formerly Newbie Questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Sparrow3
1. Can someone explain what the stealth attribute is?
2. How does it effect the characteriscs of the unit?
3. Do AI civ units see the stealth equiped unit?
4. Can it be used effectively on ground units?

I am looking for a way to make raider units effectively invisible except when in direct visual range of opposing unit. Will the stealth attribute do the trick?

1. Stealth affects the chance for enemy air units to intercept an attacking air unit.

2. AFAIK it has no other function in the game.

3. It does not make units invisible.

4. No.

Prepared to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable. :)

There's a new 'stealth' function in the conquest expansion. I don't own that yet, so that's all I know.
But I think it's some form of modification of the 'submarine' function. They're quite stealthy as well, aren't they?

Originally posted by Sphynx
Please gimme a piece of advice. I destroyed a civ which was on despotism (btw me too) and definitely used too much pop-rush and every citizen of this civ "can not forget cruel oppression". I got a leader while destroying them and want to make the Forbidden in their capital. The new base should be powerful as their main 5 cities make a 5.5 size ring (!!!). But I can not use this power because everybody there is unhappy. What can I do in this case? Will it help if I starve them to size 1 cities and add my native workers and/or slaves of other nations to these cities? Or I should destroy their cities and build my own - but I really dont want to do this as it will definitely slow down my main (Capital) base growth and will undermine my reputation. This is deity game and any mistake can cost me a lot :( Maybe lux will help? How many lux should I get then to make them content at least?
Unfortunately, there's not much to do about this, except to wait until the rage wears off, and that can take many turns.

AlanH's suggestion of starving them down to 1 citizen and then build it up doesn't help at all. The main issue is that the unhappiness is stored in the city, not in the individual citizens. So if the city has pop-rushed 5 citizens, then the city will have 5 additional unhappy citizens until the unhappiness wears off after a time. If you have only one citizen, it will need a cathedral and 2 MP (to make 5 unhappy content) just to stay out of civil disorder.
The only time it helps to starve and repopulate a city is when you're currently in war against the civ of their nationality. By doing this you get rid of the "stop the aggression against our mother country" unhappiness.

It doesn't help to disband the city either. If you do this, the unhappiness is transfered to the closest city, so now that city will inherit all the unhappiness.

Lux and happiness improvements will help. Click on one of the unhappy faces in the city, and you'll get a messagage telling why the citizens are unhappy. From the percentages, you can compute how many faces that are unhappy due to pop-rushing.

As an example, assume a size 10 city, which says that 64% is unhappy due to crowding, and 36% unhappy due to pop-rushing.
You know that on deity, only the first citizen is born content, so there's always 9 unhappiness factors in a size 10 city due to this.
Since those 9 means 64% of the unhappiness, you can compute 9 / 0.64 = 14 to get total unhappiness, and 9 / 64 * 36 = 5 to get the unhappiness due to pop-rushing.

In this example, you now know that you need to counter 14 unhappiness factors. This can be done in numerous ways. One possibility is temple (1), cathedral (3), marketplace+4 lux (6), 2 military police (2) and one entertainer (2).

If you can achieve this, the city will be productive. If not, you'll need to starve it. If you only have access to two luxuries, you can starve the city down to 6 where there's only 10 total unhappiness factors.

Originally posted by TheNiceOne
It doesn't help to disband the city either. If you do this, the unhappiness is transfered to the closest city, so now that city will inherit all the unhappiness.
:eek: :o :cry:
:mad: :saiyan:

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

TNO,
you know when that unhappiness fades away?
I've forgotten it.:(
Wasn't it something like 20 (?) turns per citizen(s) rushed in one turn?
So pop-rushing two citizens in one turn would give the same penalty length as rushing one citizen in one turn, whereas turnwise rushing penalty is cumulative?

The unhappiness fades away with 1 citizen pr 20 turn. 1 big poprush gives the same effect as 2 small, when total whipped citizen are equal.

1. When you mobilize for war, your culture produced per turn (from each improvement) is halved.
What happens when you have an uneven amount of culture being produced, ie with a library that has just been built (3)? And am I right in saying that anything with one culture, it will still produce 1 culture? (can't be bothered to test all this ;))

2. I've asked this not so long ago, but I didn't get a straight answer... I am aware that if something is a town/city/metropolis, depending on which one of them it is, it will get a defence bonus accordingly.
"Town" = 0%
"City" = Summit%
"Metro" = Summit% Note: I know what the %'s are, I just can't remember them right now, you don't need to remind me ;)
Your capital city always looks like its the type of city above it, ie...
If its a Town, it'll look like a city. If its a City, it'll look like a Metropolis.
My question, If your capital is size 1, does it get the defence bonus that it would get if it weren't you're capital city? Or does it get the bonus of a "City"?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

Can you remove units from armys?

Cheers

1) Half-values get rounded up (3 -> 2, 1 -> 1).

2) AFAIK, the capital has no special bonus applied to it. In the editor the definitions of 'city' and 'metro' are in city sizes, so I don't see why the capital is different. I reckon they just made it look different so it stands out better.

Edit: This is in response to Gainy 4 posts above...

Originally posted by Shabbaman
There's a new 'stealth' function in the conquest expansion. I don't own that yet, so that's all I know.
But I think it's some form of modification of the 'submarine' function. They're quite stealthy as well, aren't they?

Yes, submarines are effectively invisible except to a unit with the detect invisible attribute. I tried this invisible attribute with warriors once. Since you can see your invisible units, I was unaware that I had left it in a second scenario I made. I was playing along and went to move one of my horsemen to a jungle square. The foreign advisor suddenly popped up shouting "This will cause war with Spain". Spain; I thought. There isn't anyone around for miles. It took two more encounters with this and a check in the editor before I figured out that I must be encountering invisible warriors. Since the only land unit that I had made detect invisible was Spearmen and I had upgraded most of my spearmen to pikemen; a war with almost anybody could have been a disaster. I like the idea of partial invisibility; but I want the unit to become visible when in the line of sight of an opposing unit. Sort of like the barbarians and the fog of war; except this extends deep into the Civilization.

I had heard mention of something new in C3C. That is what reminded me of my unsuccessfull attempt at invisibe land units. Can someone out there tell us how it works?

I belive there is a bug that forign workers are not speeded up by Democracy. Is this present in version 1.27 of PtW. How do I sort it out? Will I be able to continue my game?

Cheers

I belive there is a bug that forign workers are not speeded up by Democracy. Is this present in version 1.27 of PtW. How do I sort it out? Will I be able to continue my game?

I can assure you that there is no such bug in V 1.27 :)
I don't see why you won't be able to continue...

Can someone please tell me what this number means? Thanks.

Attachments

• quest.jpg
    quest.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 138
Cool. Thanks, Speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom