Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a long time civ player. I recently figured out how to download a scenario off the civfanatics site. I really enjoyed playing it. It would probably be a good idea to have an easy link to explain to us newbies how to download a scenario and use. It took me several tries to figure out what folder to copy the download into.

One other major issue, I tried to download several mods or scenarios which sounded very interesting (star trek and lord of the rings stuff for Civ III). The links for many of the scenarios do not lead to download, but to a site called "Action Games", which does not appear to have the scenarios.

Does anyone know how to get around this?

Happy civing to all!

Do you perhaps mean Atomic Gamer? [edit: x-post] That's where it is suggested that the big files be uploaded to due to lack of space here at CFC. It should lead right to the download page on that site but it could be that the server was down temporarily. As for the instructions it would perhaps be handy but there are so many different things (I recently d'loaded one that had the folder in the Conquests directory and the .biqs in the Scenarios folder) people do that it is generally just left up to the creator to give his own specific instructions, if you have questions don't feel bad about asking in the prospective threads. :)

This is interesting as I need help with Map Stat... right on the heels of a CivAssist query.

I don't want to get yelled at for opening a long dead thread to ask what to do.

I dll'd mapstat but I can't get a *single* desktop Icon from the file. I got a file folder with 17 items in it and it seems that every part of the program has to be executed separately. Is this normal or is there a shortcut to get the whole program going?

Or

Do I only need one part to use this utility?

I have been happy with CivAssist but I wanted to try this one as well as it seems to do different things and I heard that it takes less space to run.

You only need to use CRpMapStat, although CRpRings is useful if you play Vanilla/PTW and want help with your RCP, and CRpViewer is useful if you want to see a replay of a game.

Yes, as Bartleby says, you only need to use CRpMapstat and I keep that icon on my Windows Quick Launch Toolbar. (The icon is in the CivReplay Folder in Start-Program Files.)

In fact, I keep open CRpMapstat AND Civ Assist II for large Histographic (viz. high-scoring) HOF games..........Very useful! :)

Can someone remember what is the formula for gold gained from capturing a city? Say I capture 8 population 2 cities in one turn, and the AI has 1000 gold. How much $$ do I get per city?

What happens if, while in the process of building a wonder - it becomes obsolete before it's finished due to a specific tech being researched?

I found ivory later in the game, and since nobody built the SOZ at that point, I decided to build it - but I know that it becomes obsolete at some point and I'm wondering if I should bother.

What happens if, while in the process of building a wonder - it becomes obsolete before it's finished due to a specific tech being researched?

I found ivory later in the game, and since nobody built the SOZ at that point, I decided to build it - but I know that it becomes obsolete at some point and I'm wondering if I should bother.
You can still build it, but it is only useful for the culture per turn that it provides. IE, you pursue 20k and you build Great Library while researching Education; if you discover education, you can still finish the library even though it is now obsolete.

This is just one of those questions that doesn't affect the time of day or the price of eggs in Hamilton on Thursday. :lol:

While I was playing Civ I and Civ II, there was a strong inclination to build the first city on the coast. I am almost sure that was a major strategy recommendation. Now in Civ III I see so many people saying that they don't want that coastal city Capitol... It is emphasized over and over - unless for Seafaring civs(?).

Does anyone remember why we were encouraged to build a coastal city first? Was it those tri-remes? and why do we not want coastal cities in Civ III?

This is just one of those questions that doesn't affect the time of day or the price of eggs in Hamilton on Thursday. :lol:

While I was playing Civ I and Civ II, there was a strong inclination to build the first city on the coast. I am almost sure that was a major strategy recommendation. Now in Civ III I see so many people saying that they don't want that coastal city Capitol... It is emphasized over and over - unless for Seafaring civs(?).

Does anyone remember why we were encouraged to build a coastal city first? Was it those tri-remes? and why do we not want coastal cities in Civ III?

In Civ III it is mainly about corruption. An inland capital will reduce corruption more effectivley in the surrounding cities than one on coast. Especially with RCP in Vanilla and PTW, where it makes quite a difference if you have only 5 cities of rank 1, or if you have 8. But even in C3C I think it would be desirable to have the Palace somewhere in the center and not on one extreme end of your empire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom