• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Trying to play Middle Earth and Star Trek on BTs..Mods installed , but maps don't load or appear as a choice in game menu . Any help please ?

Trying to play Middle Earth and Star Trek on BTs..Mods installed , but maps don't load or appear as a choice in game menu . Any help please ?

I'm not familiar with those mods or their installations. If you are referring to "scenarios", then for mods they are usually located in the bts/mods/"mod folder"/public maps folder. When the mod is loaded, you can play the scenario using "Play as Scenario" or the "Custom Scenario" menu options.

Also, check to make sure the mods are installed correctly.

You will have to let me know the directory path you installed the mods and the maps in. Are you actually loading the mods?

I can give you advice, but I can't see what you actual do unless you tell me. I can't always assume everything is installed correctly, as I've seen many folks come here before with questions like this but due to some reason something is not installed right or in the wrong path.

Also, what are the file types of these maps. If it is .py they are true maps. If WB saves, then they are scenarios. Either way, they would both go in public maps, but .py files are maps that you select when playing a random game in the mod (you can select the maps using Play Now or Custom Game).

Let me know.

edit:

I looked up both mods. Middle Earth has a thread in C&C and the modder appears to still be around (recent post). The Star Trek Mod has its own sub-forum in C&C. Although I see posts in that sub-forum from not to long ago, I think the mod might be abandoned. Regardless if you continue to have issues you can post questions over those respective places.

The ME mod mentions a large map of Middle Earth. My guess is this a .py file, so would be played normally as mentioned.

The Star Trek mod actually mentions two large scenarios, so I think you are dealing with WBsaves. These would be found when "Playing as Scenario". (given all things being normal)

I read a blurb in the Star Trek FAQ regarding installation that has me quite confused. Doesn't make much sense to me, so something may be odd there.

Last edited:
You will have to let me know the directory path you installed the mods and the maps in. Are you actually loading the mods?

I can give you advice, but I can't see what you actual do unless you tell me. I can't always assume everything is installed correctly, as I've seen many folks come here before with questions like this but due to some reason something is not installed right or in the wrong path.

Also, what are the file types of these maps. If it is .py they are true maps. If WB saves, then they are scenarios. Either way, they would both go in public maps, but .py files are maps that you select when playing a random game in the mod (you can select the maps using Play Now or Custom Game).

Let me know.

edit:

I looked up both mods. Middle Earth has a thread in C&C and the modder appears to still be around (recent post). The Star Trek Mod has its own sub-forum in C&C. Although I see posts in that sub-forum from not to long ago, I think the mod might be abandoned. Regardless if you continue to have issues you can post questions over those respective places.

The ME mod mentions a large map of Middle Earth. My guess is this a .py file, so would be played normally as mentioned.

The Star Trek mod actually mentions two large scenarios, so I think you are dealing with WBsaves. These would be found when "Playing as Scenario". (given all things being normal)

I read a blurb in the Star Trek FAQ regarding installation that has me quite confused. Doesn't make much sense to me, so something may be odd there.

The Mods both show on the main menu where you can select a mod to install.
the path to them is ...C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword v3.19\Mods
C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword v3.19\Mods\Middle-earth0220 and C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword v3.19\Mods\Star Trek II BETA 4g the map files are at C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword v3.19\PublicMaps...the Star trek files are .py files and the ME files are WB saves...The original map files were in private map folders within the MOD folders.. I copied to the public maps folder above....Make any sense ?

Well they should be in the right place already if they came with the mods” regular installation, unless these are separate items downloaded later.

Anyway, as I stated in my first post, the maps should go in each mod”s public maps folder. Sounds like you put them in the main BTS/public maps folder

Last edited:
@Dread I installed the ME mod. The scenarios were located in the Private Maps folder there, and as far as I know, Private Maps functions the same as Public Maps. Anyway, I was able to play the scenarios with no problem.

(I did not try the Star Trek thing as it is large and the external site it is on sucks)

hi everybody, me and some friends download civ4 to play online in gameranger, so we start the game in direct ip and all is normal in case of only 2 players, but in the moment other more try to join the game crashed, i see this is a common problem and have a lot of solutions but i don't sure, the fact we play in gameranger make a difference, somebudy can help me? how i solution this?

I use GameRanger for multiplayer Civ III and IV.All players have same version,WITHOUT Mods? A Mod can break the game,when a player using a Mod tries to connect you see a message about Mod,'verify if is a trusty player'. Too many times in GameRanger a connection to internet using router makes trouble.

Last edited:
yeah everybody have the same game without mods, we download the game from one link, i don't understand what do you mean with router connection?
anyway this problem have a solution in the expansions? or all the expansions of civ4 have the same problem?
i thinking in download the rest of expansions and try

1.What game you play,Civ IV Vanilla or BTS? I use BTS with patch 3.19,this is used by most players in GR.
2.If you use a router not directly cable for internet connection,some settings of the router can make trouble.

Last edited:
the rest have cable nobody use wifi. pdt: sorry i go to make something in somewhere but i back

Last edited:
@Dread I installed the ME mod. The scenarios were located in the Private Maps folder there, and as far as I know, Private Maps functions the same as Public Maps. Anyway, I was able to play the scenarios with no problem.

(I did not try the Star Trek thing as it is large and the external site it is on sucks)
Thanks lymond..I reinstalled everything and seems to be working now

Hi! I have some questions about "upgrade".

In Civ 3, if you dispanded a unit in a city, there would be like a quarter of the units production cost added to the city's production unless it were producing a wonder. Is there anything usefull you can do with an old unit in Civ 4?

Are my calculations that it costs 95 gold to upgrade an archer or a spearman correct? Isn't that a lot of money, and does the unit retain its promotions?

:)

Upgraded units retain promotions, but (in unmodded Civ IV) give up all experience points above 10.

Annoyingly, disbanding a unit gives no hammers, just reduces your maintenance costs. Obsolete units can be used as military police.

In Civ 3, if you dispanded a unit in a city, there would be like a quarter of the units production cost added to the city's production unless it were producing a wonder. Is there anything usefull you can do with an old unit in Civ 4?

Are my calculations that it costs 95 gold to upgrade an archer or a spearman correct? Isn't that a lot of money, and does the unit retain its promotions?

95 gold to upgrade to..? Formula is:[(hammers of upgraded unit-hammers of old unit)]x3+20.
Archer upgraded to longbowman : (50-25)x3+20=95,archer upgraded to crossbowman=(60-25)x3+20=125
Spearman upgraded to pikeman : (60-35)x3+20=95.
Idea is to upgrade just one time(directly) your units,graduated will loose 20 gold for every upgrade.

Last edited:
Oh, and you can’t upgrade an archer to a spearman. Archers upgrade to longbows or crossbows. Warriors upgrade to spears ( or axes.)

Disbanding a unit gets you nothing (other than possibly 1 less :gold: spent in unit maintenance, and less :) if in Hereditary Rule). Upgrading is the only other option.

I don't think you can upgrade an Archer into a Spearman, if that's what you mean? There's a formula (which I can't find out now) to determine upgrade cost - generally speaking, the greater the difference in production costs to build the units, the greater the upgrade expense. Promotions are maintained (which can be handy when upgrading into a unit that can't normally take certain promos), but all XP greater than 10 are lost (unless the unit is led by a warlord).

edit: double :ninja:'d

Top Bottom