Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

GoToParaguay said:
hi, just wondered if anyone knows how to access the map editor?

When you are in a game you can go to the main menu and choose World Builder.

There is a manual by "Dale" for explicit directions.

On the main menu it just has
Single player
Multi player
Options
Etc. Etc.

It doesn't have any World Builder option...

I am on my first game of CIV4 and am very disturbed that tiles I have investigated stay black. This is quite ugly and affects my level of "belief" that I am in a real world. Is this the way it is supposed to be? Am I doing something wrong? Do the settings need to be changed? Any insights and comments will be appreciated.

CivBound said:
I am on my first game of CIV4 and am very disturbed that tiles I have investigated stay black. This is quite ugly and affects my level of "belief" that I am in a real world. Is this the way it is supposed to be? Am I doing something wrong? Do the settings need to be changed? Any insights and comments will be appreciated.

It's a glitch with some video cards, have you downloaded patch 1.52?

-the Wolf

Hi, my question is this: How do I modify units, rules etc? I've tried going into the game folders in My computer, but there is nothing there. What am I doing wrong?

Juiol said:
On the main menu it just has
Single player
Multi player
Options
Etc. Etc.

It doesn't have any World Builder option...[/QUOTE

The only way I have accessed it is from inside a game. The inside button on the very top right hand corner brings up the main menu and you can get into world builder there.

There is a manual on the civ4 creation & customization thread that is very detailed. If you do a Google Search of the forums for "World Builder" you will find lots of info.

lost_civantares said:
I agree with you, the little contact that I've had with game support has not been to positive, this forum is a much better place to get help, as you have figured out. You might want to looking for your problem in previous threads in the bug reports forum and posting there if that doesn't help.

I must say I'm impressed that some guy in charge of doing the web programming for 2kgames can continue to stay employed when the site for tech support for one of the best selling games right now is essentially non-functional... :rolleyes:

iSkratch said:
I must say I'm impressed that some guy in charge of doing the web programming for 2kgames can continue to stay employed when the site for tech support for one of the best selling games right now is essentially non-functional... :rolleyes:

You're talking about the tech support site for a game that was released very near to essentially non-functional.

I'd just like to make sure my PC is going to be good enough to play the game fluently. I expect it should be, but no harm checking.

It has:

1.7GHz processer
512MB RAM
128MB ATI Radeon 9800 graphics card

This seem ok?

Try the demo to test if it will work. You can download it on the main civfanatics page. This will give a much more definite way of telling you that you can run civ4.

Nook29 said:
I'd just like to make sure my PC is going to be good enough to play the game fluently. I expect it should be, but no harm checking.

It has:

1.7GHz processer
512MB RAM

This seem ok?

Yes, seems okay, but checking the demo version wouldn't hurt.

Also, how fluently you will be able to play depends on the map size you choose. I had less RAM and a weaker video card than you and yould play fluently on tiny maps. I now upgraded to 1 GB RAM and can now even play huge maps fluently. With 512 MB, you may be limited to standard maps if you're using Windows XP (which demands a lot of resources for itself). However, the last patch reduced Civ4's memory usage, so what I'm saying might not be true anymore.

Can two non-capital cities share their resources by being connected, without being connected to a capital? The message that pops up in-game leads me to believe that the capital is necessary, and that resources all funnel to it, and then out to all the cities. Having two standalone cities only connected to each other will not share. How does it go?

I find it annoying when an AI player contacts you for whatever reason, and you cannot access any of the advisors or the world map. It would be nice to be able to put the character screen in the background for a second while you check on some other things such as relations or where they are on the map. Is there a way to do this?

What does centering the world map do (Stonehedge and Calendar claim to do this). I don't notice anything change when I build/research this stuff.

Thanks, this has been a bug help.:goodjob:

New to this incredible game.

How can I select ALL of my workers spread ALL over the world to (for instance) tell them to automate to the upgrade things (at the start of my game I set one or two workers to build roads, and there is NO way I can find them now).

How can I change the religion of one particular city?

Could anyone explain the upper right part of the city screen? I cant seem to understand the information it provides.

Unhappy cities makes your production to stop, having less food produced than the food needed makes your city stop growing (correct me if im wrong), but what does the green faces vs red cross signs do. What happens when my city is ill (¿?)??????

When a superperson (cant remember their real name) such as newton appears I always go for the discover technology thingy. The preoblem is that almost on EVERY ocassion that techonlogy isnt really discovered. I check in the tech tree every time i consume this guys and only on a few ocassions does that tech really become researched!!! (BUG???)

What does -25% WAR mean? (Jail, police state, etc)

Thanks for the help on whether it'd work. As soon as I'd finished downloading the demo, the full game was pushed through my letterbox. So I tested it out, and it works fine.

_alphaBeta_ said:
Can two non-capital cities share their resources by being connected, without being connected to a capital? The message that pops up in-game leads me to believe that the capital is necessary, and that resources all funnel to it, and then out to all the cities. Having two standalone cities only connected to each other will not share. How does it go?

You don't need to connect them to your capital.

_alphaBeta_ said:
I find it annoying when an AI player contacts you for whatever reason, and you cannot access any of the advisors or the world map. It would be nice to be able to put the character screen in the background for a second while you check on some other things such as relations or where they are on the map. Is there a way to do this?

Unfortunately not.

_alphaBeta_ said:
What does centering the world map do (Stonehedge and Calendar claim to do this). I don't notice anything change when I build/research this stuff.

In the beginning of the game, you can only see your own civilization in close-up on the mini-map. When you build Stonehenge, it will zoom out to show the whole world (although most of it is unexplored and thus dark, you can still see if you are in the northen or southern part of the map etc.

Thanks!

So I gather the yellow triangle with the arrows symbolized trade.
  • What does it mean when it's displayed above your cities?
  • What does it mean when it's displayed in the score box next to an opponent?

Nook29 said:

It has:

1.7GHz processer
512MB RAM

This seem ok?

That's roughly my laptop's configuration and as far as I can tell the few glitches have been bugs, Civ's fault not the computers. So you should be fine.

==How can I change the religion of one particular city?==

Sending a missionary will add that missionary's religion. There is no way to remove religions.

==Unhappy cities makes your production to stop, having less food produced than the food needed makes your city stop growing (correct me if im wrong), but what does the green faces vs red cross signs do. What happens when my city is ill (¿?)??????==

Illness consumes food, reducing growth or causing starvation.

==When a superperson (cant remember their real name) such as newton appears I always go for the discover technology thingy. The preoblem is that almost on EVERY ocassion that techonlogy isnt really discovered. I check in the tech tree every time i consume this guys and only on a few ocassions does that tech really become researched!!! (BUG???)==

Could be a bug, but not all technologies can be discovered by a single great person. They add a certain number of research points, and on later techs that might not even be enough to reduce research time by one turn.

==What does -25% WAR mean? (Jail, police state, etc)==

War weariness causes unhappiness in your cities when you're at war. Those features reduce that unhappiness, allowing you to stay at war longer without collapsing.

Top Bottom