Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

wow, that was quick. anyway, i think i'm just too perfectionist.:crazyeye:

anyway, the amount of exp. the unit will receive is always the same after a battle, regardless of the, let's say, intensity of the fight? I mean, if I fight, like in your example, with a unit aready crippled by other units i shall receive the same amount I would if I was fighting a full-health unit? does the level (or the type) of the enemy unit counts on this value?

the xp you get is function of relative strength
so if you fight an almost dead enemy, you earn 1 XP

You get more XPs when you attack than when you defend, but over 98% odds, you still usually get only 1 XP.

If you have warlords, the single easiest way to get a level 6 unit is to attach a GG to a unit which has more than 6 xp already.

Sorry about that, I should have been more clear.

Yes, you get more XP in relation to strength. My suggestion that you use collateral damage or other means to soften up your enemies was given with the supposition that you only have one unit nearing level 6, and are having trouble getting him those last XP. Obviously, you don't want to lose this unit that's close to the needed XP by entering a fight that he can't handle.

In other words, if I only need 2 or 3 XP to promote that unit to a level with an attached wonder bonus (eg. west point), I won't risk losing the unit by throwing him directly into a fight with only a 50-60% chance to win. Instead, I'll wait the extra turn or two while injuring the enemy with other attackers/collateral damage to improve the odds.

but if I do that, i lose the siege unit. is that really what's supposed to happen? I mean, to use collateral damage, you must attack with the siege unit. in most of the cases that's kind of suicidal... unless you give the unit that "evade" promotion. just 25% is too low. hmm, on the other hand, catapults are rather cheap...

about the 50-60% chances: well, you can always reload :D

oh, and i still havent found where is shown the amount of exp. needed for the next great general. is it really shown somewhere?

When I do a mass upgrade of a unit (Alt-click), they all get awakened and it is painful to fortify them all over again. Is there a way to mass-fortify all the newly upgraded units?

but if I do that, i lose the siege unit. is that really what's supposed to happen? I mean, to use collateral damage, you must attack with the siege unit. in most of the cases that's kind of suicidal... unless you give the unit that "evade" promotion. just 25% is too low. hmm, on the other hand, catapults are rather cheap...

about the 50-60% chances: well, you can always reload :D

oh, and i still havent found where is shown the amount of exp. needed for the next great general. is it really shown somewhere?

reloading isn't a strategy.
When we say "keep him for mop up duty", we mean fights with 99,9%odds. If you risk him in 50% fights, you'd better have more than one "climbing the ladder".

To see the amount of Xps needed for the next GG, you open the military advisor. There is a bar at the bottom.

Yes, you've got it right. The tactic is to build a lot of catapults,
and intentionally lose a bunch of them. Here are some other tips ...

-- have 4 catapults which you mentally set aside for bombarding
the city's cultural defense. Give them the CityRaider I promotion,
and let them bombard *only*. As they fight, give them Barrage
and then Accuracy promotions. Upgrade them to cannons and so on,
as the techs come along. Don't let them attack (or defend) if you
can help it.

-- build lots of other catapults/cannons, and give them the Barrage
promotion. These are the (in)famous "suicide catapults". After the
bombarding cats have attacked, send in 2, 3, or more of these,
expecting them to lose. They will cause collateral damage to the city
defenders, making it easier for your non-siege units. If one withdraws,
you can give it Barrage II or CityRaider I, and let it expend itself
on the next city.

but isnt the city raider I only useful if they actually attack the city?

that reminds me of the other question i had earlier: where does the 10% city damage apply to? the cultural/buildings defense of the city, the unit garrison defense or the own strengh of the enemy units stationed at the city?

oh, and is there a way to bypass the extra 1st strike chances of the enemy archers gathered in a city?

oh, and is there a way to bypass the extra 1st strike chances of the enemy archers gathered in a city?

I'll use cabert's point from earlier:

Now, there are units immune to first strikes :Horse Archer, Knight and the derived UUs + all units with flanking II promotion.SO if your crossbowman fights a horse archer, he has no free rounds of fight at all.

If your units are "immune to first strikes," then the enemy units you attack will not have their first strike bonus round when they defend. The first strike round(s) is eliminated.

City raider is an attacking bonus -- it's not active when the unit is defending.
The 10% you mention -- you mean the base +10% that comes along with a unit like the swordsman? That goes into the math for determining unit strength vs defender's strength.

just out of my mind, now that cabert used the crossbowman in his explanation.

is there REALLY a situation where producing them is really useful? i never use crossbowmen in my games, but maybe i just don't know the best way to use them. this goes for musketmen too, and a few other units i dont remember right now.
When you think of units, think in terms of their counters--the unit that will most effectively take them on during combat and most likely win. Crossbowmen have a +50% bonus versus Melee units, making them a very effective counter against one of the best units of the medieval era, the Maceman. Since Crossbows can fortify and take advantage of defensive terrain, this makes them even more effective. In fact, they are only truly vulnerable to either (a) Trebuchets, and then only if they're in a city; and (b) Knights, which is the Crossbow's counter, with its advantage in strength and immunity to the X-bow's first strikes.

That being said, I don't make extensive use of Crossbowmen. I like to have a few around, some with the stack as protection from melee units (they'll also absorb attacks from Pikes, Axemen, Swordsmen, and Spearmen, as well as Macemen) and as defenders in a new city I've captured. Thus, I usually give them Combat I/Shock or City Garrison promotions. I don't find first strikes to be all that effective, but then I tend to use X-bows defensively rather than offensively.
another thing: the 10% city attack bonus of certain units (i.e. swordmen) is really worth the extra :hammers: cost? I mean, are they really THAT useful when atacking cities? how does this bonus work? in the early game, I usually stick with axemen, because they are cheaper, but mostly because the A.I. seems to rely a lot in defending cities with melee units...
Based on my own experience, definitely. Remember that swords also get 1 more strength point than Axes as well, and if you have barracks, they can get CRI for another +20% bonus when attacking cities. In an era where strength points are quite low, and the AI is likely defending itself with Archers, and your own production is so tight that you just don't have enough Catapults (assuming you've researched Construction). Just remember that Swords are p***-poor defenders, so bring along some Axes and Spears for that purpose.
the false last one: how do you, fellow experienced players, quickly raise an unit level to six, to build the west point?
Simple: combine your first Great General with one unit as a Warlord. My own preference here is to use a mobile units (such as a Chariot) that has at least 6 XPs, with Combat I and Medic I promotions. I then give the unit Medic II, Medic III, and Morale so I have a M*A*S*H unit. It makes a huge difference in terms of how fast my veterans recover from battles.
the true last one (heh): i just got my hands on warlords. there is something i dont seem to understand... acording to civilopedia, great generals are created when a civilization reaches a certain amount of "battle" experience points. but what determines in which city the g.g. will apear? and where is shown (if there is) the amount needed/ already acumulated to create the next one?
I believe the city is chosen at random, though there does seem to be more weight given to your oldest cities. If you go to the military advisor (F5, IIRC), the bar at the bottom of the screen shows how close you are to getting your next GG (hover the mouse over the bar to see the exact numbers).

What does the game mean by latitude?

What does the game mean by latitude?

It's used in the description of the Space Elevator and means that you can't build that wonder close to the poles but will have to build it in a city close to the equator. In real life, latitude lines (actually circles) are the horizontal lines that you often see on a map of the earth or on a earth sphere. They are also horizontal lines in the game.

Thank You.

Thank you.

When I do a mass upgrade of a unit (Alt-click), they all get awakened and it is painful to fortify them all over again. Is there a way to mass-fortify all the newly upgraded units?
Reposting the above in case people missed it... I would really appreciate an answer, even if it is just "there's no way to do it".

Reposting the above in case people missed it... I would really appreciate an answer, even if it is just "there's no way to do it".

I don't have the game available to me on this computer so I can't test it and this is not something that I would ever do, but you could try Alt + fortify. The Alt key lets you do all kinds of things to large groups. Alt + wake units wakes all of the units of that type so it should logically also work to fortify units of the same type.

(I would not use it because it also fortifies a few units of that type that you might be moving to another location.)

Top Bottom