Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I'm playing a Prince game, large map, in a space race with Jao, Washington, and Mansa (who is a vassal of Jao, if that makes a difference). All of a sudden ICBM's and tactical Nukes are available. This is the 1st time I've seen nukes activated; they've always been outlawed by the UN in my prior games.
Two questions: Is it normal to not have a notification that the Manhattan Project was built and who built it?
What kind of nukes can you load on subs because a 4-hex range tactical weapon seems like a waste of time?

An interesting detail is that once the UN bans nukes, they cannot be BUILT any longer. However, anyone that built them after the Manhattan Project was built but before the UN banned them can still USE them. In a recent game, quite a while after the MP was built, I gained control of the UN and succeeded in putting through a ban on nukes. Somewhat later, one of my neighbors became my voluntary vassal and I discovered that he had several tactical nukes. Shortly after that, the AIs on the other continent went to war with one another. For a couple of turns the nukes flew back and forth until they had used up their stock. :nuke:

I'm very new to this game and I'm struggling with some very basic concepts so I'm hoping for some help.

1) Looking at the City Screen, if there is no circle around a tile to indicate that a citizen has been assigned does that mean that the tile is not generating any income (food/production/commerce) for my city?

2) I finally worked out that Resources have to be linked to my cities by road/river but what about standard farms/mines/cottages?

3) There lots of tiles along the coast that appear to be able to generate food/commerce - are they?

4) I can't improve coast and water tiles - is that because I haven't advanced enough to access the imporvements?

5) As I understand it, I can't actually stockpile food/production, just generate more than I'm using?

My familiarity with the Age of Empires franchise is severely messing with my comprehension of how Civ works - Civ is significantly more complex.

I'm very new to this game and I'm struggling with some very basic concepts so I'm hoping for some help.

1) Looking at the City Screen, if there is no circle around a tile to indicate that a citizen has been assigned does that mean that the tile is not generating any income (food/production/commerce) for my city?

2) I finally worked out that Resources have to be linked to my cities by road/river but what about standard farms/mines/cottages?

3) There lots of tiles along the coast that appear to be able to generate food/commerce - are they?

4) I can't improve coast and water tiles - is that because I haven't advanced enough to access the imporvements?

5) As I understand it, I can't actually stockpile food/production, just generate more than I'm using?

My familiarity with the Age of Empires franchise is severely messing with my comprehension of how Civ works - Civ is significantly more complex.

1. Yep, no circle around a tile means that no one is working it (meaning no production from that tile).
2. Only resources need to be connected to your trade network, although you do get food/hammer/commerce benefits from them even they are not connected.
3. Yes, coasts and oceans do generate food and commerce.
4. Coast and ocean can only be improved if they have the right resources (fish/clam/crab in normal game).
5. I don't quite understand your question...

Much thanks for taking the time and being really fast.
5. I don't quite understand your question...
I meant, do cities stockpile food? If my city stopped actually generating food, would it still have some food in storage to use to feed the population? If so where do I locate that info on the City Screen?

Stockpiling food is for growth. Your citizens have to eat all the time. Any excess food fills up the upper bar on the city screen. When it fills, +1 population to that city.

As for production, excess is carried over into the next build as overflow. There are certain limits though. Not quite sure if hammers can overflow twice or more.

Much thanks for taking the time and being really fast.
I meant, do cities stockpile food? If my city stopped actually generating food, would it still have some food in storage to use to feed the population? If so where do I locate that info on the City Screen?

Yes, cities do stockpile food. That's how a city grows. At the top-centre of the city screen there's a bar (the one that measures how far along towards gaining another population point you are).

If the city is generating the exact amount of food needed to sustain it's citizens (but not grow) then that bar will say "Stagnant" and the amount of stockpiled food will not change when you end the turn.

If the city is generating less than that amount then the bar will read "Starvation". To the left of the bar you can see how much food is being lost per turn. So, for example, if your size 6 city is losing 1 food per turn and has 13 food stored (mouse over the bar to see how much food is stored), in 13 turns it will become a size 5 city.

Hope that makes sense.

Is it normal to reload a game? I started a game as Pericles of Greece then 50 turns in I realized that Shaka's capital was about 10 tiles away from me. I tried to kill him, so I could gain 2 cities without building settlers, but my stack failed and at that point I was behind in tech and I missed Stonehenge, a wonder I always like to get. So I reloaded and I didn't really like Pericles, so I switched to Caesar of Rome. Much better. So that's my question, is it normal to realize you have a bad start and reload a different game?

Is it normal to reload a game? I started a game as Pericles of Greece then 50 turns in I realized that Shaka's capital was about 10 tiles away from me. I tried to kill him, so I could gain 2 cities without building settlers, but my stack failed and at that point I was behind in tech and I missed Stonehenge, a wonder I always like to get. So I reloaded and I didn't really like Pericles, so I switched to Caesar of Rome. Much better. So that's my question, is it normal to realize you have a bad start and reload a different game?
The way I play this game, and i might not be the best player ever, is pretty much to generate starts until I find something that looks interesting. Most of the time I have some kind of idea about what kind of game I wanna play, so I choose a Civ/leader that fits my plans and use the "regenerate map" option in the in-game menu to find my start.

Also, if I feel I've had a bad start - or if I face defeat - I'll go back to the initial autosave and start all over again. Often I'm trying out new strategies or learning how to execute some strategy, so I'll keep restarting the same game over and over until I either win or feel satisfied with learning what I was trying to learn.

Actually, I suffer from the restart syndrome, as I'm seldom happy with my games... :rolleyes:

Help is what you shall have. Keep those questions coming! :goodjob:

First of all, I'm impressed that you've already figured out that the City Screen is where you manage you empire (as your empire is the sum of your cities). So keep exploring the mysteries of the City Screen and you're on your way to mastering this game. :king:

Take another look at the City Screen, and you'll realize that the amount of :food: and :hammers: that are accumulated in each city on every turn is placed inside the Food bar and the Production bar, respectively.

Lets say that your city is producing an excess of 3 :food: (read what the other guy said about food surplus) and 5 :hammers: every turn. The total amount of :food: on the Food bar then increases with 3 every turn and the total amount of :hammers: increases by 5. Once one of these bars are full (hit their target value) you get another Citizen/population point in the city (surplus :food:) or you finish whatever you were building :)hammers:). Any overflow will be added to the next growth/production cycle.

Note that the Granary building stores half of the Food bar each time the city grows, thus doubling the growth rate. But this also means that if your city starves there will always be some stored food available (since all of it wasn't used to create that latest population point). You should be able to figure out what I mean by studying the City Screen.

Also note that Settler and Worker units are produced with both :hammers: and :food: (really surplus :food:). This because they represent citizens that are sent out on the fields. (Previous versions of the game actually made a city shrink once you built one of these units. :eek:) Producing such a unit will also stop the city in question from growing, as no surplus food is added to the Food bar.

Remember that most answers to your questions will already be right there in the City Screen - you just have to decipher where that information is located and how you interpret it. Its all simple arithmetics however, so its possible to figure most of it by yourself. Some concepts might seem a bit strange at first though, so we'll help explain those. :crazyeye:

One last tip: Mouse over any bars or value or piece of information and you'll get a breakdown of the math used to calculate those values. (This works with the Beyond the Sword expansion, at least, but its been a really long time since I tried Vanilla.)

I'm pretty sure starvation and losing a pop point causes the food bar to be set to zero, even with a granary. It's just when you grow that half the food accumulated (since the granary has been built, i.e. if you build a granary just as the city is about to grow you don't half fill the food bar) during the population growth is retained.

I'm pretty sure starvation and losing a pop point causes the food bar to be set to zero, even with a granary. It's just when you grow that half the food accumulated (since the granary has been built, i.e. if you build a granary just as the city is about to grow you don't half fill the food bar) during the population growth is retained.
Yeah, if I understand your post correctly, that would be what I meant! :goodjob:

Anyway, it is quite possible to figure this out on your own by studying the City Screen.

I somehow managed to screw up my XML files so now that I try to start Beyond The Sword I get a box which says:

Failed Loading XML file xml\units/CIV4BuildInfos.xml. [\FXml.cpp:133] Error Parsing XML File -
File: xml\units/CIV4BuildInfos.xml
Reason: Element content is invalid according to the DTD/Schema
Expecting: {x-schema:CIV4UnitSchema.xml}iCost.

Line: 15, 11
Source:
<bKill>0</bKill>

So is it possible someone could upload me their CIV4BuildInfos.xml file so I could replace my corrupted one with it. Or if someone knows how to fix my problem otherwise I would be very grateful! Thanks in Advance!

<Edit> My CIV4UnitInfos.xml file might also be corrupted so I would appreciate If I could get that one too!

In my cities, under the happiness sources, there is one that says
+1:): "OH YEAH!" - what causes this?

You are probably playing a charismatic leader (+1 happiness base). You can get it from events too, not sure which ones.

Two things i still dont understand about Civ4 :

1) I built the Apostolic Palace, and it SEEMS i am winning the elections...i guess, and then nothing happens. Elections come regularly, but what do i do next ? Is there a menu somewhere to propose something ? Both manual and civilopedia have failed to mention that.

2) What is the use of military advisor screen ? Is it me, or has it regressed severely since Civ3 ?
For example, in Civ3 in military advisor screen i could double-click on a unit and i selected that unit. If i right-clicked - i could upgrade it. If i had money i could quickly upgrade all the units wherever they were at the moment.

In Civ4 if i click on a specific unit in military advisor...it glows yellow...and ? It shows where it is on the minimap, but then i have to manually go to that spot, and manually find that unit ? And if i want to upgrade garrison troops in every city - i have to manually go through every city ? What is that screen for then ?

Two things i still dont understand about Civ4 :

1) I built the Apostolic Palace, and it SEEMS i am winning the elections...i guess, and then nothing happens. Elections come regularly, but what do i do next ? Is there a menu somewhere to propose something ? Both manual and civilopedia have failed to mention that.

2) What is the use of military advisor screen ? Is it me, or has it regressed severely since Civ3 ?
For example, in Civ3 in military advisor screen i could double-click on a unit and i selected that unit. If i right-clicked - i could upgrade it. If i had money i could quickly upgrade all the units wherever they were at the moment.

In Civ4 if i click on a specific unit in military advisor...it glows yellow...and ? It shows where it is on the minimap, but then i have to manually go to that spot, and manually find that unit ? And if i want to upgrade garrison troops in every city - i have to manually go through every city ? What is that screen for then ?

1) Took me a while to understand the UN when I first started playing... When the AP is first built, an election for Resident takes place. All who have the AP religion somewhere in their empire get to vote, and they have to choose between the leader who built the AP or the leader with the greatest number of votes (this second leader must have the AP religion as his state religion, I think). Once a Resident has been chosen, a resolution is voted on every 10 (I think) turns (on Normal speed). After four rounds of resolutions, a vote is held for Resident again (unless no resolutions are available, in which case the next scheduled vote is to determine the Resident). The voting windows will pop up by themselves - you don't have to find a special screen to vote on resolutions. You can see some crucial AP info by pressing F8 and clicking Resolutions or Members.

2) In the military advisor screen, once you've located a particular unit (via flashy yellow thing), you can click the unit's location on the map to zoom to that location in-game. The advisor screen is also useful to quickly scope out what kind of military might your opponents are fielding in your field of vision. And yes, you have to go through every city to upgrade garrison troops.

Once a Resident has been chosen, a resolution is voted on every 10 (I think) turns (on Normal speed). After four rounds of resolutions, a vote is held for Resident again (unless no resolutions are available, in which case the next scheduled vote is to determine the Resident).
Uhh...so what determines the availability of resolutions ? And, am i even winning the elections ? The info pop-up says something like, "you voted for yourself with 260 votes out of 150 required", does that mean what i think it means ?

In the military advisor screen, once you've located a particular unit (via flashy yellow thing), you can click the unit's location on the map to zoom to that location in-game. The advisor screen is also useful to quickly scope out what kind of military might your opponents are fielding in your field of vision. And yes, you have to go through every city to upgrade garrison troops.
Okay, so its just as useless as i thought...what happened to you, Sid ?! Civ3 advisor was so handy...

I don't remember where I read this, but somewhere on the forum someone mentioned that if you are the founder of the UN and the leading canidate (the most votes, in full control) you can control what resolution(s) is/are presented to the world, next? This is incorrect, right? If it is correct, I can't figure out how to initiate resolutions. From what I can see the AI selects when resolutions happen, right?

Uhh...so what determines the availability of resolutions ? And, am i even winning the elections ? The info pop-up says something like, "you voted for yourself with 260 votes out of 150 required", does that mean what i think it means ?

Okay, so its just as useless as i thought...what happened to you, Sid ?! Civ3 advisor was so handy...

The availability of resolutions depends on... well, the availability. For instance, you can't propose the "stop warring against our brothers in faith" resolution if there's no war against your brothers in faith, see? Check the "Resolutions" screen (F8) to see all the possible resolutions. It should be pretty obvious what the conditions are for each. The only one that's not self-explanatory is diplomatic victory - this one can only be proposed if every civ in the game has at least one city with the AP religion (I think).

Every leader has an amount of voting power equal to the total population size of all his cities that have the AP religion (double that if the AP religion is his state religion). Every vote requires a certain number of votes in order to pass. In your example, you have 260 votes ("voting power"), and only 150 are required for the given resolution to pass.

Top Bottom