Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Holy Cities do not affect missionary success odds at all? :eek: Are you 100% sure of that? It always "felt" that holy cities are harder to spread to, and I thought I read somewhere that it did supress the odds quite a bit, and have been playing most of my games under the assumption that Holy Cities are harder to infect. Hmmm...

Come to think of it, I've been under the impression there is a distance (from holy city) factor as well, though this is not based on anything and doesn't affect how I play to any appreciable degree.

I included the totality of the code that handles missionary spread in the previous post, and it's so simple that it's practically impossible to screw up the interpretation. Feel free to look yourself, if you won't take my word for it. :p

So yeah, I'm sure... FWIW I've never noticed that holy cities or distance would affect missionary spread at all either. :)

For those interested, I peeked at the corresponding Vanilla code as well, and it's functionally identical - except that in BtS you can modify the base spread chance in the XML (so one could, for example, effortlessly mod their Civ to have missionaries always succeed) whereas in Vanilla it's hard-coded.

functionally identical

If you were a politician, I'd assume that any adjective before the word "identical" can be treated as being identical with the word "not". :lol:

But thanks for the tip... I'll make better judgements now. :)

i just notice my great engineer rushed 860/1500 shields, is that normal?

Sounds about right to me. I know the beaker yield from bulbing scales with population size, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it's a similar deal with rushing construction.

Sounds just right, assuming your city was size 18 :) If my memory doesn't fail me on Normal GE hammers are 500+20*CITY_POPULATION.

Are the odds of a spy being caught in enemy territory (not when performing a mission, just sitting in an enemy city for instance) modified by any factors, or is it a set chance?

Hi,

I know how to view my attacking odds, but is there a way to see my defending odds against a particular unit?

Are the odds of a spy being caught in enemy territory (not when performing a mission, just sitting in an enemy city for instance) modified by any factors, or is it a set chance?

Yes, there are lots of factors affecting these odds. The factors are explained in the first post of this thread: Spy detection.

I translated the formula in that post in English for people who aren't mathematically inclined. See post 5 of that thread for this translation.

There's a lot more info about spying in that thread.

Hi,

I know how to view my attacking odds, but is there a way to see my defending odds against a particular unit?

Not really. You can view those odds after you've been attacked in the combat log.

500+20*city_pop is what Lord Parkin said back in 2008.

Is there a similar formula for the amount of beakers a bulbed great person will give? What I'm asking is does it matter which city your GSci (or GE or GA...) is in when he bulbs a tech?

Is there a similar formula for the amount of beakers a bulbed great person will give? What I'm asking is does it matter which city your GSci (or GE or GA...) is in when he bulbs a tech?

1500+3*POP for GS and 1000+2*POP for others. The population is the population of the entire empire, not just a single city.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes anyway.

Why don't modders/scenarios makers etc., specify which version of the Civ 4 game their creation is for?

I'm guessing most of the more recent mods etc., are for BTS with patch 3.19, but there is just so much content in the various download sections that it's difficult to know where the creation should be installed.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would think that someone who goes to the trouble of making a mod/scenario etc., and generously shares it with the community, could easily indicate for which version of the game their work is for.

Luckily I now have the 'Complete Edition' but I have seen many comments requesting the above stated information. I'm sure many people have been frustrated/annoyed, after downloading a creation, they then discover it's for a version they don't have.

Just an observation.

P.S. Many thank to all the people who do include detailed version/patch and install requirements.

How would i get access to a one tile resource? I see a dye on a one tile island but i already build a city 2 tiles away. Does just building a plantation and a road on it give me access to it, or do i have to build a city on it?

but doesn't fortress give you only 25% defence?

It also allows access to the resource and you can build the fortress before your borders pop to include the island. It will have to be in your cultural borders though before you have access to the resource.

after it has been included in my border, can i just build a plantation to get access to it?

after it has been included in my border, can i just build a plantation to get access to it?

You can, if you build a road too and you have the necessary techs for coastal/ocean trade routes. But if you're playing BtS, and the resource is too far away to be worked, you can build a fort instead of a plantation and gain the benefits of a fort (defence, air base, etc) in addition to securing the resource.

How do I prevent my cities from becoming unhappy? I'm around the 1950s, and most of my cities have unhappy citizens (something like "it's too crowded"). I have tried building colosseums and theaters but they don't seem to help much.

Also how do I convert citizens of another culture to mine? A lot of my new conquests are 90+% foreign, which has led to more than one revolt. One way I have noticed that works is to wipe out said civilization, but there has to be another way...

I'm playing vanilla Civ4, no expansions.

Top Bottom