Quick Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
AbuHab said:
What does the unit ability "Collateral Damage" do?
It means that if you attack with that unit, then citizens and improvements on the defensive tile may be destroyed in the process of the battle.

Himalia said:
The AI does not cheat. (apparantly) Well it basically always has a map of the world but thats about it really. So if you can ever get anything for your maps its never technically speaking a risk for you. Anyway to your main question how do you tend to start your games ? are you a warmonger, a tech freak ? depending on your style of play what i would suggest would differ greatly. I myself like to get that second settler unit out fast but never let that city ever drop to a size 1 whatever you do. Keep doing this with each new city you get and try (map permitting to build a ring of cities around your fist city. Hopefully with no overlap, continue with this method and build another ring like ths (map permitting of course) This may seem that you will be poor with tech early on but this allows a snowball effect as each layer makes it easier and easier to produce the next one. Dont defend you inner cities put what troops you have in the outer ones and try to keep them linked together with roads just incase you ned to get aid quick to one of them. It dont matter that theres no defence in the heart of your empire as your enemy would have to punch through your army to get there anyway and if the ycan beat that they would defeat it if it was there anyway if that was the case. What this allows is for you to build other buildings etc to fuel your exact needs depending on your style of play. This method although simple has never failed me. Simply put more people means more cities, more cities means more resources, more resources means more people etc and the cycle continues. Each city should aim for some kind of buidling (depending on style of play) before getting its first settler out, remember to keep workers coming out as well. At least one per city will do at first. Eventually you will find that some of these cities are settler factories and some have excllent production and can become you key defence cities building units or most places.

thanx for suggestion.
im more of warmonger and less of tech freak. but still like to hav few wonder im cities. i hav put ur suggestion into play and its has helped me thanx again.

Padma said:
Float: Since the AI is handicapped, on Warlord, you may have to examine your entire strategy/playing-style. First, are you building Wonders in your core cities? These should be the least corrupt, and give you the best "bang for the buck". Second, are your Wonder-building cities reasonably populous, happy, and productive? Make sure your Workers have Roaded and Improved all the tiles you want Citizens to work on. And for Wonder-building, make sure they are producing as many shields as possible, without starving them. Third, have you tried using "pre-builds"? For instance, start building a Palace in a city, then, when you finish researching the tech for a given Wonder, switch production to that Wonder. This can save many turns. (Just be careful you don't complete the Palace too early! ) Finally: Why are you worrying about Wonders? Wonders are "nice to have", but can quickly become a "crutch" for some players. A good way to learn the game is to play a few times *without building ANY Wonders*. If you can win that way, you know you understand the game.

Edit: If the AI is out-researching you on Warlord, you might want to polish your tech-trading skills, too.

Thanx for the tip padma.
im putting ur suggestion into effect, thanx again.

well like i said im more of warmonger, i hav conquest victory under my belt :king: but constructing wonder would help me to acheive the cultural victory as well :) so i would like to construct few of those.

thanx for suggestion guys :goodjob: . happy gaming !!! :)

I wouls suggest a large (or huge) Arcipliagio map with the most amount of water.
By doing this and going a seafaring civ, you can use curraghs and find all other vcivs and trade with them, while the AI will wait until after map mapking at the earliest - this can give you a huge advantage.
Just rush to philosophy and use the free tech to get map making (the most costly in terms of turns in the first era).
Also, it allows you to colonise empty continents >20 turns before the AI starts to do it.

EDIT - Sorry, I thought this was a post in the C3C quick answers forum. You won't have curraghs and seafaring civs in vanilla civ

DogeMussolini32 said:
how do i post my own avatar on this website?
I think the current policy is 30 posts and 30 days of having been registered, so you can't yet.

In Multiplayer, I believe AI has regent level by default. How do you change that in a PBEM game?

ok.... I'm perplexed again.... I just ended a war with Spain that started about 10 game turns ago and now everyone will not deal with me for lux or resources in trade.... I didn't break any deals when I went to war and I actually didn't gain as much territory as the other AIs on my continent but they are all treating me as if I broke a deal.... There isn't a penalty on rep if you drag other countries into a war via trade and then make peace is there? (BTW this game is Large/Emperor)

Gorf -
I think if you do a mutual alliance (or protection pact) w/a civ then make peace w/the enemy before the 20 turns of the agreement is up, you wreck you're rep. You have to wait the 20 turns, end the agreement w/your ally, then w/your enemy. I think you get some sort of penalty even if you break the agreement by wiping out the enemy...not sure about that though.

Tman65 said:
I think you get some sort of penalty even if you break the agreement by wiping out the enemy...not sure about that though.
No, not in that case. ;)

It could have been a Trade Embargo that was broken by the sound of Gorf's post, though. They DO give you a rep hit if you sign peace before the 20 turns are up. ;)

Thats indeed true but is still seems ok for your partner in the MPP to sign peace with them. Iv had that happen to me the turn after id paid someone who was polite towards me to help me against another country. They broke like i said a turn later (it might of been 2) and were then furioues towards me. What was worse was the two countries in question had been having having on off wars throughout the game.

However the cure was simple i crushed both of them.

Always an excellent strategy... :D :evil:

By the way, I've never had the AI screw me over that badly... I think the worst I've had was 5 or 6 turns before they backstabbed the agreement...

When war is unleashed, how many turns after is the AI willing to negotiate with you?

It depends on a lot of factors. Which I don't have handy right now.

But what I do have handy is links to CivAssistII and CRpSuite, both of which will tell you when the AI is willing to negotiate peace. Check my sig for the links.

actually.... I was not trading with spain at the time of the war and I didn't start the war.... this is what has me so perplexed.... I've never had the AIs get mad at me for dragging them into a war and after spain kept sending its troops into my teritory and then declared war I dogpiled them.... I know I wasn't trading with them....only their neighbors.... I don't understand it.... I'll have to go back to some of my older saves and see if I can figure it out... I just wanted to ask and make sure that doing this didin't piss off the AIs at the higher difficulty levels...

Im confinced on the higher difficulties that the AI can get stophy over just about anything. More often imagined as well. You try to be nice all gam and it just turns out into total war. In my currant game every country in the world is at war with at least one other nation. I had 20 something on me at one point. I held off the initial attack and eventually one of them was willing to speak to me. I tried all of them every turn, I had a healthy amount of gold and a good tech lead so i was happy enough to pay gold and or tech to get them on the Mongols back (It was them who started it all) Eventually bit by bit the battle started to switch against the Mongels and i eventually won the game via a diplomatic victory. It was the obvioues choice as it seems only me and the Mongels were nomines on it and i dmanaged to get most of the world at war with them. Although most of them had wars with each other as well. O for a peaceful game.

Well, that's life on the highest difficulty levels. ;) That's why I usually play only Monarch/Emperor level - the AI aren't too stroppy, and a relatively peaceful game is actually possible!! :)

After reading in the forum, I decided to try my luck at Diety level C3C with archipelego and 80% water. Five of the 8 AI Civs are sea-faring! Is this RNG or does the game pick civs based upon the land type?

It's the RNG.

Really, one must sacrifice to the RNG if one wants good luck. It's a fickle god.

I think there totally random to test it use a preseeded map and try starting the game half a dozen times and see what you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom