Quick Questions and Answers

Liberty was the clear choice in vanilla. In G&K they buffed Tradition and nerfed Liberty, which switched their popularity in general terms.

But in terms of population growth (particularly in your capital -- which was your original question), there is simply no comparison between the two. Liberty provides no food or growth bonuses, while Tradition provides +2 food in your capital, +25% growth in your capital, +15% in all other cities, and free aqueducts in your capital and next 3 cities, all of which compound to huge growth benefits, particularly in your capital.

Took another look at your save. One other growth benefit you are not enjoying is maritime CS friends and allies. A maritime friend provides +2 base food in your capital, and allies provide another +1 food in your capital and each other city. You have met 4 maritimes, and are allied with one (+3 food in your capital :goodjob:), but are not friends with any of the other three -- Austria is allied with two, while the Netherlands is allied with the last one, and could be a friend of the other three -- if so, that's a total of +9 food in Amsterdam, which is huge.

On terrain, I don't think that has been as great a factor as you might believe. At 15 pop you still haven't felt the impact of the mountain range, so that hasn't affected your growth yet (but ultimately would if your pop got high enough). The overall terrain is OK -- you only have one bonus food tile (the bananas), which is unfortunate (FWIW, Amsterdam also only has one bonus food tile (wheat)), but you do have plenty of river for post-Civil Service farm bonuses. I would quibble with some of your choices -- I would have farmed the riverside hill next to the city center, rather than mining it, and I would have cleared at least a couple of the river-side jungle tiles for farms, but that's just me.

On jungle tiles, I know many believe they should never be cleared, since with a university and a TP you get a tile that is self-sustaining (2 food) and produces gold and science (more with Free Thought, but you haven't opened Rationalism yet). But self-sustaining means they aren't contributing to growth. I'm not a big fan of TP spam in my capital, but again that's just me.

On the recently founded cities, grabbing strategic resources is a good reason, but then you need to improve the resources. You don't have nearly enough workers, and the two you do have are doing low-priority improvements in one city (TPs in Nottingham). Buy a worker in Coventry to improve the aluminum and another in your capital to improve the coal, the riverside marsh tile (and also buy the other riverside marsh tile before Florence grabs it -- Florence, BTW, got diplo married by Austria a few turns after I loaded the save).

So Liberty isn't very good? Or just not good for the question I'm talking about? Since that save, I've expanded more into Africa and taken over Montezuma's cities, so maybe Liberty will be more useful since I'm getting lots of cities?

And yeah, Austria's UA is super annoying.

Just responding to the "why is my capital smaller than his?" question, where Tradition vs Liberty is a big part of the answer.

Is caravan gold boosted by markets, or comerce opening?

Whats the difference of spying in capitol vs other cities?

I was watching a LP from MadDjinn and I noticed that he was able to build the National College before researching Philosophy. How is this possible? The video I saw was a few years old so have the requirement techs been changed since then or am I just missing something?

Is caravan gold boosted by markets, or comerce opening?

Whats the difference of spying in capitol vs other cities?

I believe the last time I looked at this, the income from trade was NOT affected by percentage modifiers, such as from the market. Only the base gold of the city is affected. Considering that BNW removed a lot of the terrain gold (because trade was introduced) this has reduced the effectiveness of the market line of buildings in my mind.

Looking up trade in the game concepts in the Civilopedia, Markets do affect the amount of gold in a trade route: +2 for route owner, +1 for destination civ.

I'm not certain, however, whether the percentage applies to it.

What is a good general starting point for a build order?
I do:
scout > worker > monument or warrior > warrior/scout

But a lot of people seem to leave the worker for a very long time, why is this?
Isn't it important to get a worker ASAP putting farms down or getting resources?

Looking up trade in the game concepts in the Civilopedia, Markets do affect the amount of gold in a trade route: +2 for route owner, +1 for destination civ.

I'm not certain, however, whether the percentage applies to it.
I was focusing on the percentages, but you are correct that the presence of the buildings adds a little :c5gold:. On larger terms, the +25%:c5gold: does NOT apply to trade route, which would wind up making a huge difference in yield.

When I build a settler and found my second city, what should I build first?
It takes around 30+ turns to get a worker, and everything else is just as slow.

Should I buy a worker from my capital and send it over right away to the new city?

Im kinda Interested in getting into MP. What should I do differently in MP than in SP? Especially early strategies.

The game says harbors make trade routes originating from that city produce an additional 1 gold. Does that include city states?

What is a good general starting point for a build order?
I do:
scout > worker > monument or warrior > warrior/scout

But a lot of people seem to leave the worker for a very long time, why is this?
Isn't it important to get a worker ASAP putting farms down or getting resources?

A very common strategy is to steal your first 1-2 workers from nearby city states. Additionally focusing on an early pyramids or free workers from social policies means you won't need to dedicate those early turns to building workers. It's not that uncommon to get a captured worker from barbarians if you have a few close CS's. I'd say it's more important to get your scouts out exploring ruins, meeting city states and other players, and getting quick culture for those first couple policies than snagging an extra food or two. Additionally, having no local military to protect your first worker means he often spends an inordinate amount of time hiding in the city from barbarians. In that case, you've wasted the turns you took to build him and possibly the turns you took to build the now pillaged farms that could have been spent more productively. Holding off until 5th or 6th position in the build order works pretty well for me, if I don't pick up a worker from somewhere else.

If you're going for a science victory and you know people will be declaring war on you to stop you doing so, what's the best way to defend yourself? What defensive units should you beeline for towards the late game?
Thanks.

If you're going for a science victory and you know people will be declaring war on you to stop you doing so, what's the best way to defend yourself? What defensive units should you beeline for towards the late game?
Thanks.

If you out-tech everyone else, your units should be superior, and you should be fine. It doesn't matter if you're attacked as long as your units are a stage or two ahead of your opponents.

Why cant I make declarations of friendships with anyone?

I am 100 turns in and only 1 civ accepted/proposed one (on chieftain).

I want to trade my luxuries but its not working (for 240g) unless friends.

Is there any point in building farms outside the 3 tile zone from city if they aren't going to get worked?

Question: for science, is it best to go tall or wide? Or are both equally good?

Also, if anyone has time to have a quick check of this game and tell me how I could've gained a lead on the Dutch, that'd be great. They seem to have infinite money and are allied with a ridiculous amount of city states, and are almost as good as me in science despite the fact I had a great area and am playing as Korea. I'm only playing on King, but this is still a huge challenge for some reason.

I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong. People always say that tall isn't necessarily worse than wide, but the Dutch seem to be doing really well on their own continent.

I've discovered satellites, so it should be quite simple to check everything/everyone. It's a multiplayer save so you need to put it in the 'multi' folder and go to multiplayer/host/load game I believe, unless there's another way. Thanks.

Attachments

• Sejong_0254 AD-1968.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
Top Bottom