Quick Questions and Answers

If the worker you previously captured from barbs or stole from a CS or AI civ is later captured by a barb (or an enemy) and recaptured again by you, you get the "keep or return" option.

I'm not aware of any way to rename workers (ordinarily you can only rename units when prompted to choose a promotion for that unit).

There is a way to add that functionality to the UI, but it requires adding a few lines of code to one of the game files... I find it really handy, personally, and well worth the effort, but it might be a bit daunting for some folks...

REMEMBER TO ALWAYS BACKUP FILES BEFORE EDITING THEM!!!

1. Open the UnitPanel.lua file in ..\Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\UI\InGame\WorldView folder (for BNW)

2. Scroll down to this section:
Spoiler :
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Unit Name clicked event handler
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
function OnUnitNameClicked()
    -- go to this unit
    UI.LookAtSelectionPlot(0);
end
Controls.UnitNameButton:RegisterCallback( Mouse.eLClick, OnUnitNameClicked );
Controls.UnitPortraitButton:RegisterCallback( Mouse.eLClick, OnUnitNameClicked );

function OnUnitRClicked()
	local unit = UI.GetHeadSelectedUnit();
	if unit then

-- search by name
		local searchString = Locale.ConvertTextKey( unit:GetNameKey() );
		Events.SearchForPediaEntry( searchString );
	end
end
Controls.UnitPortraitButton:RegisterCallback( Mouse.eRClick, OnUnitRClicked );

-- InfoPane is now dirty.
3. Copy and Paste the following code between the 2 functions already in that section
Code:
function OnUnitNameRClicked()
    -- rename this unit
    OnEditNameClick();
end
Controls.UnitNameButton:RegisterCallback( Mouse.eRClick, OnUnitNameRClicked );

4. The section should look like this after you paste:
Spoiler :
Code:
-- Unit Name clicked event handler
function OnUnitNameClicked()
    -- go to this unit
    UI.LookAtSelectionPlot(0);
end
Controls.UnitNameButton:RegisterCallback( Mouse.eLClick, OnUnitNameClicked );
Controls.UnitPortraitButton:RegisterCallback( Mouse.eLClick, OnUnitNameClicked );

function OnUnitNameRClicked()
    -- rename this unit
    OnEditNameClick();
end
Controls.UnitNameButton:RegisterCallback( Mouse.eRClick, OnUnitNameRClicked );

function OnUnitRClicked()
	local unit = UI.GetHeadSelectedUnit();
	if unit then

-- search by name
		local searchString = Locale.ConvertTextKey( unit:GetNameKey() );
		Events.SearchForPediaEntry( searchString );
	end
end
Controls.UnitPortraitButton:RegisterCallback( Mouse.eRClick, OnUnitRClicked );

-- InfoPane is now dirty.
5. Save the modified file, making sure your editor doesn't change the .lua extension to .txt or something.

(If anything goes wrong, just overwrite the modded file with the backup you made before you started...)

Now you can rename units by selecting them and then right-clicking on their name in the interface :D

Crus8r

Is there a good starters guide for this game? I just bought the Civ 5 Complete on a Steam sale and want a fast track to greatness because my time to play is limited.

I grew up on Civ 2 (still play a few full-length games every year) and have a few hundred hours of Civ 4 logged on my steam account if that helps. I'm not a complete newbie at Civ

One thing I never really considered before. How long do DoFs last?

I'm playing on Marathon, so standard deal length is 90 turns instead of 30. I DoF'd Alex as a part of a local "gang", but things changed...When I DoF'd him, I was preparing to research Dynamite and kick Wu, who was annoyingly slightly ahead at science, back to dark ages, but while I was preparing, Alex and couple of other civs ganged on Wu, and now Alex is kinda bloated and threatening on my north...

I checked the global politics tab, and it states there: Firends with you (-69 turns left). Like the DoF should have expired by now...

DOF lasts 50 turns at Standard speed, 75 turns at Epic, and 150 turns at Marathon. The Global Politics screen is bugged and for Epic and Marathon goes to negative numbers after 50 turns. So, your DOF will expire when that screen says -100 turns.

DOF lasts 50 turns at Standard speed, 75 turns at Epic, and 150 turns at Marathon. The Global Politics screen is bugged and for Epic and Marathon goes to negative numbers after 50 turns. So, your DOF will expire when that screen says -100 turns.

Oh, thanks. Watch out Alex...I'm coming for you soon :D. Gonna turn his cities into shooting ranges for my artilleries.

Do founder and enhancer believes belong to whoever founded the religion or whoever controls the holy city?

The founder and enhancer believes belong to any city that has the majority religion that has the founder and enhancer believes.

The founder belief only ever accrues to the civ that founded a particular religion. Enhancer beliefs apply to city that follows a particular religion.

If I build a national wonder that requires a specific building in all my cities likes Oxford will I lose the effects if I settle a new city and haven't built a University yet?

If I build a national wonder that requires a specific building in all my cities likes Oxford will I lose the effects if I settle a new city and haven't built a University yet?

No, but only after the wonder is finished. If you start to build, and then found or capture another city without the needed prereqs, the wonder build will stop until you build those buildings in the new city.

<---- learned that the hard way.

But once it is built, the effect remains when you start new cities.

When you build a new city during unfinished national wonder construction and the national wonder isn't finished, you will see that the national wonder got finished but it didn't, don't believe it because you would still need the required building in the new city that will allow you to finally finish the national wonder.

When you build a new city during unfinished national wonder construction and the national wonder isn't finished, you will see that the national wonder got finished but it didn't, don't believe it because you would still need the required building in the new city that will allow you to finally finish the national wonder.

Yup, thats messed up. Instead of saying "Oops, you can not continue work on X" it just says "Choose Production."

No, but only after the wonder is finished. If you start to build, and then found or capture another city without the needed prereqs, the wonder build will stop until you build those buildings in the new city.

<---- learned that the hard way.

But once it is built, the effect remains when you start new cities.

What about other prerequisites? I think factories stop working if you lose coal. What about stable if you lose the pasture? Or if you lose a required building? Or e.g. power plants after factory stopped working because of missing coal? ..

You do not lose the benefits of a factory when you lose coal (you will show a resource deficit and w2on't be able to build another factory until you replace that coal and have at least one extra coal). Pastures are only required to build a stable -- Stable bonus will continue to be received if the pasture is pillaged or replaced by another improvement.

thanks.

Sure about the factory? I thought I had a game with only imported coal (or Alu) and reduced production after the imports stopped. I try to check again. ..

edit: I made a mistake. I checked again and could not reproduce what I remembered about my factory running out of coal. I apologize for being very rude.

I have to say, it is very rude to ask a quick question -- and then challenge when the correct answer is given. If misinformation is posted, it will be quickly corrected by someone else! If you want more details about game mechanics or why a counterintuitive is answer is correct, please be encouraged to start a new thread or find an older thread to append to.

Yup, thats messed up. Instead of saying "Oops, you can not continue work on X" it just says "Choose Production."

That is what happened to me. I only realized it was stopped when another civ completed the wonder long after mine should have been built.

Top Bottom