Quick Questions and Answers

What is "bonus vs domain"?

That is what shows up when:

1. You have a naval ranged ship with the promotion that boosts its ranged strength against naval targets and you are about to fire at an enemy ship.

2. You have a naval ranged ship with the promotion that boosts its ranged strength against targets on land and you are about to fire at an enemy unit on land.

All other situations in which you using doing the attacking has a promotion when attacking a unit on a specific type on terrain.

Wait, so Cover works differently for ranged and melee units? Or can ranged units not get Cover...? (Sorry, can't remember.)

Range units can get cover.

And yes the whole combat is kind of a mess. Cover for melee works with everything and the bonus is not displayed in the combat window (but your strength will be boosted by cover regardless). Remember however that cities have a minimum damage inflicted no matter the relative strengths.
Cover for range doesn't work for cities. When targeted by range units however it is not displayed anywhere (strength isn't boosted) but you still will take less damage. The number is boosted by open/rough promotions when targeted by a range unit however.

I suggest using IGE with the firetuner or play Hot Seat to test things out.
Player 1 use
1 city
1 archer unupgraded
Player 2 use
1 melee with cover
1 archer with cover
1 archer with nothing
1 archer with open promo

So I was playing the Renaissance scenario. I have about 200 happiness at the end and I've obviously won (I control every holy city except Wittenburg). I reload it today to finish off the last 20 turns and... it says I have -40 happiness.

What gives?

If there's tourism involved then maybe that was your reason because influences can cause sudden unhappiness like the one you mentioned.

I have question due to my future HoF game - is shallow water connection actually possible on normal continents map? (between all continents)

I think no, but if someone know for sure please let me know ;)

If there's tourism involved then maybe that was your reason because influences can cause sudden unhappiness like the one you mentioned.

No tourism, it runs in "Gods and Kings" mode even though I have Gold Edition and it's a pre-industrial scenario.

Must be a bug when switching between game modes or something. Never really seen before happiness go from 200 (previous save) to -40 (when loading the save).

Can't really just plug along because all the sudden a non-threatening army attacking me becomes what, 50% stronger? Sigh.

I have question due to my future HoF game - is shallow water connection actually possible on normal continents map? (between all continents)

Yes it is possible. The probability increases the less water there is (low level seas) I think. The probability is fairly low though, maybe 1 in 10.

For that kind of question I suggest you use the civ world builder it allows for quick map generations to see the patterns.

Range units can get cover.

And yes the whole combat is kind of a mess. Cover for melee works with everything and the bonus is not displayed in the combat window (but your strength will be boosted by cover regardless). Remember however that cities have a minimum damage inflicted no matter the relative strengths.
Cover for range doesn't work for cities. When targeted by range units however it is not displayed anywhere (strength isn't boosted) but you still will take less damage. The number is boosted by open/rough promotions when targeted by a range unit however.

I suggest using IGE with the firetuner or play Hot Seat to test things out.
Player 1 use
1 city
1 archer unupgraded
Player 2 use
1 melee with cover
1 archer with cover
1 archer with nothing
1 archer with open promo

Thank you for the detailed response.

I am really trying not to hate the combat system in this game....

Why does this game run so glacially compared to previous civs when there's a smaller map and fewer cities? Even with quick animations and low settings on a good computer. I went back to playing alpha centauri and it's instantaneous on a map that is MUCH bigger with far bigger armies and just as many buildings.

I play almost exclusively on Continents and there are times when continents are connected, especially if there are plenty of archipelagos in between.

So, this is more of a technical issue, but not a 'bug' in a sense I feel deems posting in the Bugs subforum. Basically, I can't turn anti-aliasing on. I try and change the setting in options, but when I try and confirm the change, the screen goes black for a few seconds, and then when it comes back, invariably, the anti-aliasing option is reset to off. Any idea what's going on?

I destroyed spanish units with my ship of lines and suddenly during my turn right after I destroy one spanish unit a city state declares war on me...Is that somekind of unique quest AI's have with city state? I havent seen such a quest myself and over 1000h played.

I destroyed spanish units with my ship of lines and suddenly during my turn right after I destroy one spanish unit a city state declares war on me...Is that somekind of unique quest AI's have with city state? I havent seen such a quest myself and over 1000h played.

they probably became allies with the civ that you are at war with on that turn and therefore declared war.

This is conjecture on my part, but it fits. The CS give the AIs quests too.

I have seen this once or twice. Your combat with Spain caused them to generate a GG or GAd which fulfilled (on your turn) a CS quest.

Are there any hidden limitations to the liberty finisher? I am unable to get a Great Prophet, even though there is still one religion available. I do not have a pantheon, actually I never generated a single point of faith the entire game. Is this the problem?

So you need a pantheon to be able to get a Great Prophet?

Via the normal way, yes.
But one of the great wonders gives a free Great Prophet (and Temple). If there's still a religion left to be founded when you build that wonder, you can found a religion and its pantheon at the same time. (If they have been taken, which is common, then you can build a holy shrine to start saving the faith for industrial era.)

Top Bottom