Quick Questions and Answers

I figure it's the best you can make of a mountain jungle. If you mine it, you lose its food. You can't lumber mill it. So build the trading post and if you're strong on Rationalism Policies, you'll get extra blue from it when you choose Free Thought.

When I played Civ 2 and 3, I was heavy into mining. I think even up to Civ 4, you could mine a grassland. But then I looked at some of the AI opponents when spying on them and realized that they all favor increasing population. It is overall the best strategy: more science, and with an Aqueduct you generate more citizens to work even more tiles.

So now my rule of thumb is: if it's next to a river or lake, it becomes a Farm. Only exception is if it's a resource tile. If it's a lowland jungle, I might farm it or I might do the trading post, depending on the city's situation.

As a defensive strategy, I generally chop every non-resource tile adjacent to the city "square" (now a hexagon). That prevents AI units who are attacking the city from getting a defensive bonus when I counter-attack.

Does anyone understand just WHY your income can somehow, suddenly go through the floor? I kinda accepted this withotu relrection when I went to war. But it can happen even when you don't go to war, as well as when you do.

There's a unit limit (you can see it in the Military Overview, if I recall correctly). If you exceed it, the unit maintenance per turn for all units increases. So for example if you go 1 unit beyond the limit, the maintenance for each unit can go (random number for example) from 1 to 2. So if you have 8 units and a limit of 8, each unit costs 1 GPT and you have a total outflow of 8 GPT. When you create your 9th unit, now each unit costs 2 GPT, and you have a total outflow of 18 GPT.

(The change in GPT isn't actually so drastic, it's usually less than a 100% increase, the values I used were for the purpose of demonstration.)

Other reasons could be one of your trade routes needs to be renewed - so this is not bad because as soon as you reassign it, you will get the income and won’t lose anything between turns.
Trade routes can get pillaged too, that’s bad.

Incoming trade could also be a factor -- other player's caravan/ship destroyed by barbarians or enemy AI.
Yes, I was just about to mention incoming trade routes. I don't know what logic the AI uses when deciding where to send a trade route, but it could b that for the AI your cities have been supplanted by someone else's. For example, if the AI sends out its trade routes based on which city gives the highest gold, it would redirect its trade routes to someone else's city, causing you to lose the income from that trade route.

Presumably the AI is maximizing gold, but when I trade, I try to avoid loss. I also balance some for each AI as "good will". The "mood" indicator of AI being Guarded, Friendly, etc. lists reasons like same ideology, same friends, but I don't think it mentions trade.

I think you get a small boost from trading via the Diplomacy screen, because there's a modifier which says 'You have traded recently'. There's a mod in the Steam Workshop which reveals the numerical values for each modifier, like in the Paradox games (e.g. +50 for Defensive Pact, -50 because they covet lands that you own etc.)

Have you tried hovering your cursor over the GPT in the top bar? It gives a breakdown of your income and expenses. If you do this regularly throughout the game you can identify where it is that you're losing money

Top Bottom