Quick Questions and Answers

How can I stop losing gold through the entire game on King difficulty?

It doesn't make any sense to me, one turn it's plus 20, the next it's negative 20...

The only time I stay in the black is if I win a war in the first half of the game and build a lot of trading posts on a lot of enemy real estate.

If I keep getting harassed by the ai early on and can't take any extra cities then I usually have to quit due to gold loss & therefore lagging so far behind on science.
1) Building units too fast for your economy? Buildings also have maintenance, so only build what you need.
2) Taking new cities mean new upkeep cost for the buildings on that new city, could explain your -20 gold all of a sudden.
3) Your best sources of income are trade routes and internal trades through city connections (roads or harbors), don't neglect those.
4) Only connect cities through road once they reach a population equal to the number of roads you'd have to build. Each road costs 1 gold. So for exemple your secondary city is tiles from your capital, wait for it to be size 6 before connecting a road. Else you will be losing money for a long time.
5) Remember to sell you extra luxuries for 7 gold a turn or 240 gold to friends. Sell also strategic ressources you don't need (iron, horses, etc).
6) Sea trade routes give twice the money compared to land trade routes. Best is to have all trades from one city and prioritise all economic buildings, markets etc to make it count.

Good luck. :)

Two questions :

1) What happens if you have a 150 hammer production city and continually make 60 hammers units? I know hammers overflow to next turn, but for how long? Obviously you can't keep on piling hammers then insta finish a wonder, so i am wondering what are the limits / failsafes to prevent abuse of this mechanic.
2) What is the default vision range and which units have more? Ex destroyers see 3 tiles away, submarines 4. I searched for a table listing vision range for all units but was not able to find one. (I am looking for best spotter units for artillery / cruisers.)

does gifting workers to arabia next door (he is very backward and i dont fear his military but he refuses to be friendly and is stubbornly neutral) do anything to help relations diplomatically?

Sometimes a wonder has been built in a far away land, which is impossible because I've met every civ. So, I assume a CS built that wonder?

Another question; I finished Patronage some games and is finisher causes you to occasionally get a GP given to you by a CS. But I've never seen a CS do this, so what's the frequency of GP gifts by CS?

Sometimes a wonder has been built in a far away land, which is impossible because I've met every civ. So, I assume a CS built that wonder?

Another question; I finished Patronage some games and is finisher causes you to occasionally get a GP given to you by a CS. But I've never seen a CS do this, so what's the frequency of GP gifts by CS?

1) It is because it has been built in a city you have not discovered yet. (Fog of war), if you know the city it will tell you who and show you where it was built.

2) No idea about the frequency, but i already gotten GP from them. Last game they gave me a great musicien. However i don't think i ever got more than 1 person per game, so the delay must be slow, maybe around 50 turns. (But i always max tradition, 2 points into rationalism, and then max patronage, so it is very late game that i get it and it probably explains why i don't get more.)

1) It is because it has been built in a city you have not discovered yet. (Fog of war), if you know the city it will tell you who and show you where it was built.

2) No idea about the frequency, but i already gotten GP from them. Last game they gave me a great musicien. However i don't think i ever got more than 1 person per game, so the delay must be slow, maybe around 50 turns. (But i always max tradition, 2 points into rationalism, and then max patronage, so it is very late game that i get it and it probably explains why i don't get more.)
Thanks! I'm now playing a game as Spain but it's t265, just maxed patronage (I also first max tradition and rationalism + ideology) and I'm a couple of turns away from launching my spaceship, so no GP for me ofc. I really love the idea of the finisher but on Immortal I need tradition and rationalism too much to finish patronage first.

Although the finisher would be OP if it's frequency of gifting GP would be higher. I mean, finishing liberty gifts you a GP of choice, finishing rationalism gifts you a free tech and getting a free GS from a CS is pretty much the same thing..

I don’t think anyone got back to you...

What happens if you have a 150 hammer production city and continually make 60 hammers units?

The hammers go to waste.

I know hammers overflow to next turn, but for how long?

Hammer overflow is limited to one turn, and to the maximum of the item just built. So if a 150 hammer production city builds a 60 hammer unit, 60 hammers are carried over into the next item (30 hammers lost), and if the next item takes less than 210 hammers those extra hammers will be lost.

What you can do is to alternate low hammer units with a high-hammer building. So, for example, suppose mid to late game I need one of my core cities to pump out a workboat. I don't just put the workboat in queue, instead I start something else for one turn, and the next turn I interrupt that for the workboat, and the turn after that I go back to the something else.

What is the default vision range and which units have more? Ex destroyers see 3 tiles away, submarines 4. I searched for a table listing vision range for all units but was not able to find one. (I am looking for best spotter units for artillery / cruisers.)

I am pretty sure that destroyers and subs (all ships, except caravels) have the same site range, and it starts at just 2 tiles (workboats might be less, I don’t explore with them). Starting out, with no buffs in play, subs can shoot further than they can see. Embarked land units can only see 1 tile away. The strategic view makes LoS a little more obvious, so you may want to try that a bit.

Unbuffed land units can see 2 tiles, but LoS is blocked by the landscape. Being on a hill get you 1 more hex, and hills themselves (including units on a hill) can be seen 3 hexes away. And of course, siege units see 1 hex less.

It seems to me that LoS is little wonky, based somewhat on the presentation perspective, and I still get fooled. Sometimes a unit can see you, but not you it, and vice versa.

Also fighters see 6 hexes out (at the start of your turn, but not as you move a carrier).

Would my computer be able to handle Civilisation V? To specify,
I could divide this into two questions:
1) Could I run the vanilla version without lag with good-quality graphics?
2) Could I run Brave New World without lag with good-quality graphics?

Since that question is meaningless without my computer's specifications,
I own an HP Pavilion dv6-7010us Entertainment PC with 64-bit Windows 7,
six (6) gigabytes of R.A.M., an AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics
1,90 GHz quad-core processor (rated 6,6 for processor and 6,7 for gaming
graphics on the Windows Experience Index). The benchmarks given in the
Civ V manual are mostly helpful but, while I think my processor is to
recommended standards, I am not entirely sure and wanted to ask here.
(I don't think this is big enough to warrant a full post.)

Is there no world builder in Civ V? *bummed*

Is there no world builder in Civ V? *bummed*

Though I do not actually own Civilisation V and so am obviously
not the most qualified man on Earth to answer this, the manual
to the vanilla version mentions (page 195) two installable but
separate programmes called ModBuddy and World Builder
SDK
. I hope that helps.

Thanks, that puts me on the right track. I see "Source SDK" in Steam tools, about 6 of them.

Does anyone have an idea how create a mod to change the Universal Healthcare under the Order policy branch from +1 :) Local Happiness from every National Wonder to +1 :) Local Happiness from every Hospital? Makes sense to me healthcare should be related to some short of medical care centre and not a national wonder.

Would my computer be able to handle Civilisation V?

With maximum settings, you get around 15 frames per second and with medium settings around 30FPS. Not exactly smooth even with the latter, but playable.

Vanilla.

I did not quite get this right...

Hammer overflow is limited to one turn, and to the maximum of the item just built. So if a 150 hammer production city builds a 60 hammer unit, 60 hammers are carried over into the next item (30 hammers lost), and if the next item takes less than 210 hammers those extra hammers will be lost.

Hammer overflow is limited to maximum of the item just built or production cap of the city, which ever is more. So, with this example, the first turn 90 hammers are carried over into the next item (0 hammers lost so far). The next turn, the city has 240 hammers available, but it builds another 60 hammer unit: 30 hammers are lost, and 150 hammers carried over. After that, the city has 300 hammers available, but builds another 60 hammer unit: 90 hammers lost, and 150 hammers carried over. So, yes, after just a couple of turns you are losing 90 hammers a turn (which is what you would expect). You will have a bank of hammers at the end.

No, you do not. That civ (whether a CS or a major civ) pays the maintenance. You only pay maintenance for roads in your territory (regardless of who built them) and roads that you build in no-man's land.

No, you do not. That civ (whether a CS or a major civ) pays the maintenance. You only pay maintenance for roads in your territory (regardless of who built them) and roads that you build in no-man's land.
Sounds like an oversight, what prevents us from getting open borders and spamming railroads on AIs territory to tank their economy?

Top Bottom