R&T C P1: Gambit

Follow The Tech Plan?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stuck_as_a_Mac

Aptenodytes forsteri
Welcome to the first R&T Poll of the... well, of the Demogame.

The issue at hand is the issue I built my campaign around: The Philo gambit. I am proposing the following tech plan.

Writing->Philo->Assess the Situation.

This is the proposal. Two day poll. Y/N/A. Related discussion can be found here

SaaM

Constitutionally, you are planning long term.

I woul d have added long term government goal, and then polled Map Making vs Literature vs Republic as goals. Polling only two techs ahead and then reassess steals away mandate from the tactical science Director of Commerce, whose job is to adapt the tech line. So doing this right would add a more long term plan, and some very easy conditions and criteria for altering the tech line by the short term tech planner.
Basically, you need to forecast criteria for altering the tech plan the Director can interpret.

Woot! First no vote! [party]

I will again push for the wheel/iron working. And if we move off of the spot, then we'll want construction for aqueducts for cities off of rivers. Plus, if you want the republic free (with its two gold/unit cost), then you'll need to sneak in code of laws somewhere.

RegentMan said:
Woot! First no vote! [party]

I will again push for the wheel/iron working. And if we move off of the spot, then we'll want construction for aqueducts for cities off of rivers. Plus, if you want the republic free (with its two gold/unit cost), then you'll need to sneak in code of laws somewhere.

Philosophy gives a free tech if we get it first though.

blackheart said:
Philosophy gives a free tech if we get it first though.
Note the if. If we get it first. There is no guarantee that we will get it. By beelining straight towards philosophy, we will ignore some more vital techs. I hope we don't lose out on our horses/iron because you guys got all excited for a chance for a free tech.

Again, I'll stress that I don't think that this plan will work out. In principle, the Philo gambit is a good idea. I just don't like the idea of making such a gamble at the emperor level.

I'll add that, should we go for the Philo gambit, we should consider going for Code of Laws before Philo, so that if we do get a free tech, it'll be republic.

Octavian X said:
I'll add that, should we go for the Philo gambit, we should consider going for Code of Laws before Philo, so that if we do get a free tech, it'll be republic.

I agree with Octavian X that we should use the Philosophy gambit in order to obtain the Republic, so we need to obtain Code of Laws before we finish researching Philosophy.

...Which makes it less likely that you will get it first. Phil is an empty tech if you come second.

RegentMan said:
Note the if. If we get it first. There is no guarantee that we will get it. By beelining straight towards philosophy, we will ignore some more vital techs. I hope we don't lose out on our horses/iron because you guys got all excited for a chance for a free tech.

Gotta take a risk to reap the benefits.

Octavian X said:
Again, I'll stress that I don't think that this plan will work out. In principle, the Philo gambit is a good idea. I just don't like the idea of making such a gamble at the emperor level.

I'm not sure we can take the risk of researching CoL's before Philo. On Emperor, it's possible to get Philo before the other nations, but I'm not sure how possible it would be if we went for CoL as well.

blackheart said:
Gotta take a risk to reap the benefits.
Unneccessary risks need not be tried. The benefits here aren't enough for falling horribly behind upon failure. One tech is one tech. Resources are forever.

Surprisingly, this gambit still works on Sid level about 20% of the time, so it's still possible on higher levels, even Emperor. The fact that we have the Alphabet also helps. We also need to decide what tech we want next, since the game won't let us save the game before picking the next free (if we get it) tech. :)

Chieftess said:
We also need to decide what tech we want next, since the game won't let us save the game before picking the next free (if we get it) tech. :)
If, as I recommend, we're trying to get the GL, then we have to get Writing. Besides, Writing is on the path to Republic.

We can use the Space Ship screen, or a utility like MapStat to find out who our opponents are and if any start with the Alphabet - do we want to do that?

As long as we don't trade Alphabet, and later Writing, the instant we meet one civ, we can get CoL - Philo - Republic easily.

YNCS said:
If, as I recommend, we're trying to get the GL, then we have to get Writing. Besides, Writing is on the path to Republic.
Well, you need writing for philosophy, so you'll get it anyway. The question is what to do with your free tech if you get it first.

Top Bottom