Ra Mesh Strategy Guide: Conquering Abroad

cutting off their capital by pillaging roads prevents them from using resources to build units or to trade to others.

Another strategy I found here is to send in Explorers just before the invasion to surround the capital. If the enemy's capital is near the coast, your explorers can be in position on every square surrounding the capital before he/she demands you get out. Just use the explorers to pillage the roads and Whammo! It usually helps to have a transport full of tanks ready to come in a few turns later to make sure they haven't rebuilt roads to the capital. But the explorers are fast moving and cheap so you don't mind losing some of them.

Tom:

ROP Rape? That's not a stategy, that's just bush league:nono:
And what's worse is that its not even necessary. Fight as a republic or Monarchy, fighting as a democracy is just asking for trouble. You don't really need a force inside their border, just invade on three sides from your borders or from the sea. A republic can stay at war far longer than a democracy so if you need a war just change governments.

If I have sea access to their capitol, I land there first. The initial turn may find the capitol at its least defended. Also, the enemy will usually have RR not roads so their entire military is within counter strike range. I try to cut off entire directions. IE, if there's only one RR in from the west, take out 2 tiles of RR and your western flank is much safer. Land all your forces together. In reality, splitting their forces is good, but in gameplay, you havent split them, but you now split yourself, so while you cant support your attacks, the enemy can go anywhere. I made the mistake of splintering off 3 MA to attack a weak nearby city and they were slaughtered. Raze the first couple of cities you take and clear enough room for at least 2 of your own. Use the enemy workers to build the city as large as you can while keeping enough workers to build roads between your new cities. I'll also disband 1 worker in each to cut the rush build for barracks and walls (in that order). make sure your cities dont touch the enemy borders and I think that'll drastically cut down on the possibility of a CF. use a few explorers to dash around cutting off more RR. if possible, have them end their turn on a mountain with no road/RR. The enemy will most likely kill them right away, but thats one less enemy unit to hit you on turn one, and they ended on a mountain, so they'll expend at least 1 movement just getting off the mountain the next turn. Above all else, protect your units, because it may take you many turns to get reinforcements while the enemy forces will hit you immediately after forming. As to the nuc option, i just tried it. Every nation on the planet but 2 weaklings declared war on me. Any one with a nuc used it on me. So i wouldnt recommend using nucs to soften up an invasion.

Love the article :goodjob: and I follow most of the lines, with some twists being:
- Surprise
- Speed
- Simplicity

Surprise is that my masses absolutely come out of the blue catching the enemy unprepared. So no trade embargos to make them annoyed or suspicious.

Speed means that only fast units go to war. Pity for the artillery and air units but they are simply to slow. In the first and second wave of attacks the main goal is to take out as many crucial resources and ports as possible. Razing also helps in speed.

Simplicity means large stacks of a limited number of units rather than a complex mix with multiple. It is also killing speed.

One of my favorites are enemy units in the open. Hardly any defense bonus and with fast units it is a matter of attack and retreat.

The Tiger approach works well indeed, leaving the enemy confused about main and secondary attack. I usually make the secondary attack well defended and prepared to be stormed by the enemy taking out their offensive units in the process.

OR ...
WAtch for a space to open up on your desired continents map due internal warfae between nations. Then build a city, rush some cultural improvements and an airport. Having already built an airport in most of your major production cites, it's then just a matter of transporting dozens of tanks and Inf (mech Inf later) onto the continent and crushing your opponents ... with the added advantage that you can attack his cites, and he can't attack yours.

I'm guessing someone else has mentioned this, but I can't be bothered reading the rest of the posts ...

Ultimately ... I think the best way to wage warfare is to wait for opportunites to arise then take advantage of your opponents. Always look to attack the strongest nation by forming alliances with other smaller nations. Then you can attack from more than one side. Take out the major centres of production (the capital included if you cannot isolte it) and wear him down.

Make sure you have plenty of settlers on hand to occupy the land as you destroy their cites, and if it's executed properly, there should be little need for elaborate plans, stages etc. Just attack in force, exhaust the enemies attacking forces, then methodically elimate their cities and establish your own.

Do not attack enemy cities if they have a substantial defensive advantage over your attacking units ... or your position of strength could be easilly eroded. In that case you need artillery and air back-up to weaken the cities units before you attack with ground units.

I'm not sure what it's like on easier levels, becasue I only play Deity, but long wars are never good. The unhapiness on Deity is extreme ... so look for the quickest way to eliminate the enemy ... normally by throwing enormous quantities of tanks at the problem. Forget about research, culture and science when at war. Think only about producing enough units to end the conflict ASAP.

I have a question for RaMesh.
It has been rumored around this board that AI knows where all your units are all the time, I'm wondering if you have ever had your "tail of the tiger" force attacted while waiting to invade 6 ot 8 tiles away?

Have you invaded with your "tail of the tiger" force only to find all his cities defended by 5 MI each?

Just wondering....

The "Capitol Isolation" strategy (mentioned a couple of times in this thread) is widely misunderstood, but still a very powerful tactic. How does it work? By severing all roads to an enemy's capitol, and destroying a harbor and airport if present in the capitol, you have effectively isolated the enemy capitol from the rest of the world. What does this accomplish (and what doesn't it accomplish)?

In Civ 3 all foreign trade passes through the capitol. If the capitol is completely severed from the international trade net, the enemy cannot trade for any luxury or strategic resources. By isolating an enemy capitol, you deny that entire civ the fruits of its foreign trade - it's like securing an instant trade embargo against the enemy from all other civs. When combined with some pillaging of local luxuries and strategic resources, you can often bring a civ to its knees pretty quickly.

However, in Civ 3 local trade (i.e., natively controlled resources used by all cities connected via road) does not pass through the capitol. Isolating the capitol deprives the capitol city itself of the local supply of luxuries and strategic resources, but does not deprive any other city in the empire these resources so long as a viable road and/or road-harbor-airport connects the individual city to the resource. (It is this point that is widely misunderstood.)

As an example of these concepts: In the late industrial age, the enemy civ has local control over a rubber resource, but must import oil from a trading partner. After you successfully isolate the enemy capitol, the AI civ will still be able to build infantry in all of its cities (other than its capitol) by using its local supply of rubber, but no cities will be able to build tanks, since the successful capitol isolation deprived the civ of its means to import oil.

The Capitol Isolation strategy is very powerful against a civ that has to import a fair number of luxuries -- instant civil disorder!

Catt:

Thanx for the info on trade routes!

The capital network always recieves an ICBM when I have to fight a modern war, followed by any uranium, rubber, and aluminum resources. This prevents the enemy from building modern units after my initial attacks. If I have any ICBM's or Tactial's left then I target luxuries & largest remaining cities.

While i agree with the happiness factor of building a temple first my second culture improvement is a library b/c it is much cheaper to produce than a cathedral or collessum

RE Finishing the Campaign

It's far better to completely kill off your victim as if you don't on occasion cities will flip back after you have signed a peace treaty (especially if they had a lot of culture) which can be anoying and compel you to declare war again ):

I have reduced very large and wealthy civs to one city on a small island and still had their former capital flip back (city had 3 military units and a cathedral). Once they are dead the cities cant flip back... ( :

I turn off the resawning feature so that when I am done with a civ it stays dead!

Stalin and Ramesh
Im a major newbie, Ive only played civ1 a couple of times before I got this game. Ive nver made it 2 the nuclear phase and only to about the first technology of the modern age. I havent bin able to get nukes. can u give me any ideas on this?

Ramesh and Stalin

Ive never made it to nukes. the farthest Ive gotten is fission. my best civ is supposedly America but Im a major newb so Im not very good. can u give me any ideas on this??

Cjtheman:

Since you are a newbie I will assume you are playing on chieftan.

The problem with chieftan is you have to do all of the reasearch because the AI is handcuffed in reasearching. You have two basic strategies to employ

1) warmongering: Conquer the world

If you opt for this you will want to concentrate on military tech, Iron working, Horseback riding, & chivalry. One variation of this Strategy is to rush a civ that has a near starting location very early w/ warriors & archers. Another is to wait until a tech advantage window opens. Knights & Swords v. Spearmen, Calvalry & inf. vs. Pikemen/rifleman, Tank/ MA vs. rifleman/infantry
The idea here is build up your army, invade & conquer! Some infanstructure is needed though but building everything for your cities is not necessary. The favored gov's for this strategy are either Monarchy, Republic, or Communism.

2) The building (peaceful) stategy:

Build up your empire, becauase of the AI handicap you should be able to expand more rapidly than the AI's. Build as many wonders as you can, after the ancient age you should not lose a wonder to an AI civ. Every city should have a library + university (that is not completely corrupt) Only go to war if you need to expand further. Several ways of winning with this strat: cultural, spaceship, diplomatic, or you could adopt a warmongering strat late in the game! The building Strategy favors a Democratic government (just make sure that you fight short wars)

Experiment with placing your FP. There are differing opinions on keeping your palace in place & moving it so you might want to try that too.

Learn to manage happiness better & use workers more efficiently. Experiment with different CIV's (each has strong & weak points)

Read more strategy articles & search the forums for topics you need more info on.

thanx alot right now Im playin a game wit greece and Im attackin the iroquois on another continent
it aint goin great
but I normally play as a chielftan so the AI hardly ever have anything more advanced than I do

Sorry for the delayed responses. Had to step away to attend to some business, but i'm back.

Stalin006 & Cjtheman316,

ok now ..........waht about nuclear weapons? should u use them? and waht if the AI uses them on u, and what if the enemy (it will be more easier to hapend on PTW against someone else) sees ur invasion troops and sends in a nuke? all ur forces are killed in a second!, also sometimes otehr civs allie w/ ur enemy and end up w/a 3 front war......mmmh.......any answers?

As mentioned before in this thread, be careful with Nukes. Nukes have extreme public relations impact and can quickly change the course of a war, or even the game. Even allies you've nurtured for thousands of years can turn on you if you abuse nuclear warfare. Also, there are environmental considerations with the random changing of topology after the launching of nukes (although the effects and reparcussions are not as drastic as real life).

My humble advise is broken into 2 phases: pre- and post- Satellites. Satellites is the technology that allows the creation of ICBM, the most deadly and convenient form of nuclear warfare. You can launch an ICBM at any city or tile in the game without need of transportation. Just aim and fire. If you or other Civs have this technology and therefore, the ability to potentially build ICBMs, then exercise the greatest caution in using ICBMs. I wouldn't say to not use them because they can be very devastating, especially when aiming at enemy capitals and their other largest and most productive Civs. First of all, many city improvements and garrisoned units will potentially be destroyed. IN many cases, the city population will be cut in half! The surrounding city tiles will instantly be poluted and all roads and railroads destroyed. So, in one turn, you've decimated an enemy's city. It may take them 100 years to rebuild that city, which is a major hit.

However, as mentioned before, you have to consider the counter attack. Sometimes, the entire world will suddenly declare war against you. If other Civs can potentially build ICBMs, then the counter attack can reap the same damages on yourself as well!

Post-Satellite Considerations

I'd take the following tips into consideration before using a single ICBM:

1. Military Strength. How strong are you? Do you have the production might and infrastructure to take on the world? Do you have the most superior naval and air force than your competitors? This will mean that you can whether the storm and defend against attacks at home and in lands you've conquered.

2. Resource Dependence. Do you currently trade for key strategic or happiness resources? If you do, I wouldn't do it, especially if you're using either a Republic or Democratic gov't. If your trading buddy declares war with you, losing those resources may cripple you. Further, if you're not a Civ with the Religious trait (like Egypt, my favorite), then switching governments will cripple you even further. Don't forget, in the Modern era, your cities are large and more mature, which means that Anarchy is a true nightmare!

3. Workers Out of Work. Usually by the time you're waging Modern Era wars, you'll have a ton of workers "out of work". A handful of workers will be on duty cleaning up polluted squares, but the rest will be twidling their thumbs fortified on some square waiting for the employment market to bounce back (especially after 9/11 and the recession we're..... oops, we're talking Civ not real life. Sorry, I digress :crazyeye: ). This is important because, let's say a counter attack nuke gets through the cracks and hits one of your cities. Having these workers is key to getting a city's surrounding infrastructure back together and even adding workers back to the city's population to make it grow again. (IN the rare occassion where i've had a counter attack nuke land, I was able to get the city back up and running in about 3 turns!)

3. Nuclear Defense. How strong is your military defense? Being that we're talking about post-satellite, have you discovered "Integrated Defense" and built the Strategic Missile Defense small wonder? Do you have SAM Missile Battery improvements built in all key cities?

If you pretty much meet the above conditions, give or take, then give it a go! I've had a game where I built around 20 ICBMs (I had a monster city with Iron Works, Factory, Mfg Plant, Solar Plant spitting them out in like 3-4 turns!). Once I used the second ICBM everyone declared war on me! Well, needless to say, everyone got a little "ICBM" tough love from me! I launched every one of them on the most powerful of the other civ's biggest cities. Through espionage, I caught a couple of ICBMs in production and sabotaged them a turn before they were built! It was then excited by the Fourth of July display that happened next. I watched as my Nuclear defense system kicked in as 5 ICBMs were short out of the sky! That was cool :cool: to see. Anyway, that's that.

Pre-Satellite Considerations

Pre-Satellite is a little different and easier to manage. Your nuclear weapon is the Tactical Nuke, available with the discovery of Space Flight. The nuke must be phycially delivered via Nuclear Submarine and even then, Tactical Nukes have a pretty limited range (6).

Usually, i've found that using carefully orchestrated Nuclear Warfare using Tactical Nukes can be usefull and fun! Several have mentioned the Capital City isolation strategy and have thoroughly explained its virtues (Thanks, Catt! :goodjob: ), but I find it much more fun to implement this strategy with a good Ol' T Nuke! Get the same results in one turn!

As for the back lash, it is much easier to manage before Satellite is discovered. You just have to have a defense in place that can look out for approaching enemy Nuclear Subs (see my post on "The Impenetrable Defense" coming soon....). The strength of your naval force should determine the likelihood of something sneaking through the cracks. I try to keep several Nuclear Subs patrolling the Coast and seas near my home continent to make sure noone is trying to get through, and Battleships are always at the ready to blow subs, battleships and transports out of the water.

In all, nuclear warfare is cool and such a rush! But exercise caution in your use. The above should be a start to a guide in considering if and when to use it.

DaDoo,

well if you got great leaders to waste...

rush a palace in that huge city you capture...

I don't think anybody ever got a city with palace flip.. right?

not practical at all but hey :p

Regarding having a city with palace flip.... No. However, its been proven that a city has flipped even when its had the FP! Sucks major. Coracle was happy for a week bashing Civ III after someone verified this. :rolleyes:

Stalin006,

As for your point about a PTW opponent using a Nuke on you when you land.... that's interesting. I'd have to look into it further, but we all know different strategies will have to be employed when playing against human opponents (again, my thread "The Impenetrable Defense" is best suited for PTW games, or very persistent AIs). I can't imagine a player landing enough troops for me to even consider bombing my own country. The psychology of it is even crazy, even if you could quickly rebuild the tiles they landed on. I personally always build plenty of Artillery/Radar Artillery and Cruise Missile and keep them home so that, in case someone gets through my naval/air defense, they are still doomed. Then my super stack of MAs or Tanks always mops up what's left.

Remember, I said that I usually prefer to land my troops on a tile that's adjacent to a city, or I don't do it. That's with the Head of the Tiger. This way, the Artillery I bring along and any other 1 MP units can attack on the next turn. If I land, the opponent (AI, or human) will also have to consider the damage it will do to its own city. So, its not that cut and dry. I can see plenty of cases for and against. What do you all think of that?

Cjtheman316,

While I wanted most of this thread to focus on the Modern Era, you seem to need foundational help. Conquering Abroad, and warfare in the Modern Era will be an exercise in futility if you don't have the core understanding of how to nurture your Civ to be strong once you reach this era, or even to reach the era at all! Its like getting to the end game in chess with your King, a rook and a few pawns, while your enemy has almost all his pieces. What's the point. My suggestion to you is to peruse the Strategy boards at CivFanatic and also at Apolyton. The War Academy here at CivFanatic is very organized and very good info is there. This should get you started. Focus on learning and understanding how to develop your geographic infrastructure (strategic city placement, terrain development, resource acquisition and control, etc.) and your city infrastructure (key improvements, happiness, etc.) With this knowledge, you should be in better positions to last longer in the Modern Era, or even make it there at all.

The Modern Era in Civ III is slightly anti-climatic, because it is a little under-developed. Also, by the time you get to the Modern Era, you should already know what type of victory you're positioning for. The strength of your end game here depends on learning the stuff that will get you there in the first place. Good luck! :)

I read the article and it was very good. However, being an ex-Marine, I have some familiarity with Amphibious Assaults :)

The way I execute an Amphibious Assault is slightly different. I always attack at no less than 3 coastal points and as many as 6 points simultaneously, using a minimum of two stacks (two transports) of units in each attack. This may be a one or two pronged attack, but, the targets of the prongs are always ajacent. I always use either Marines or 2/3 move units for my attack. Marines are best used to break a coastal city into which you move you transports with your 2/3 move units with which you mount an immediate attack, in the same turn, on the next inland target. This also saves you the problem of having to weather the first offensive barrage before you can attack. I always bring along at least 3-4 defensive units per stack of 16.

When I plan my attack, I target an area that is defensible and hold-able...I don't want to lose it right back to the enemy after I'm done. Usually this is a peninsula, island or an area with a natural division such as a neck-down in the continent. This gives me a foothold on the Continent from which I can launch further attacks later, after this war is over. Usually, my wars are not to eliminate someone, it is to gain a foothold on a continent where I need to expand to gain access to something I don't have...resources, land, etc. Once I gain a foothold on a continent, then I can launch a combination attack....land/sea assault :) against anyone on that continent.

I strike cities right away, and always coastal cities. I try & have a sizeable navy force, but, don't need naval superiority right away because by taking his coastal cities, I can repair while he can't and I'll eventually break his Naval force. (PS I LIKE submarines & Battleships)

I never rush build, I build up my invasion force, and then continue building up creating a pipeline with which I constantly reinforce my invasion force.

Along with my invasion force, I always bring a lot of settlers...about two per city. After I take a city, I starve it down to one or two foreigners and then add two domestic settlers to get the city back to a reasonable production strength of 5 to 6. I never expect my conquered cities to help me in any way on the invasion in which they were captured. I also make sure that at least one city has a harbor. If not, I buy one right away.

After my initial strike, I begin taking my un-injured units and begin pooling them against my next targets...usually inland. I always use two & three move units because they have the retreat option. With the retreat option, you do two things: 1) You save units by not dying when you fail to win; 2) You stand a much better chance of creating a great leader because the units get to attack much more often and gain more experience. When I do get a leader, I get him off the continent right away. I never use armies.

As this plan advances, I usually end up with two forces who leap-frog each other across the continent. One resting, healing & quelling resisters while the other instigates new attacks on the next target.

I don't ever target resources or cities....they'll be mine in a minute, I'll want to use them :)

I always send captured workers to the rear and re-do all the terrain that the AI has mis-managed and to ensure that there is roads/rail all the way to the front lines.

Technological superiority will ensure that you will win every time with this strategy, but, if you are only slightly behind you can still win most of the time through sheer numbers. The most important thing to do is to keep your pipeline going and keep reinforcing. It ain't over 'till it's over (to quote a famous catcher), keep reinforcements coming until you're done.

Once you're done with your objective, then bring in more settlers and re-populate the larger cities.

Spyder
aka Myron Trueheart,
Guildmaster of The Chosen Few

Top Bottom