[BTS] Ramses Immortal Fractal: Bad Lands

T31
Spoiler :
Played without stopping to think for even once, but seems reasonable. PH settle works bad because now I won't get GLH, but okay, I can get Mids. BW-sailing and settle some spots.

Civ4ScreenShot0025.JPG

Response to Sampsa
Spoiler :
I would not say that skipping The Great Lighthouse is a mistake. Just options and tradeoffs.

I don't like the industrious leader trait but it can be useful at times. Sometimes we have to build not-units.

Spoiler :
I'm taking 5 points away from Ravenclaw for that atrocious ph settle.

Spoiler :
Well it is a pretty good map (and leader) for GLH, but it's still possible to get it in 2nd city on immortal. I have no idea what Ravenclaw is and I don't think the ph settle is atrocious. Cannot kill any seafood and the 2nd city will be coastal anyway. Of course it turns out badly because loses the 2nd clam and the map happens to be very good for GLH. I was misled by "warchariots" as well. ;)

We managed to put 82 McDonalds in Finland but no harry potter? Brits are slacking on their cultural exports.
Spoiler :
Alright, not atrocious (got you a nice early fogbust and horses) but yeah it's tunnel vision on a war chariot rush. I don't understand "cannot kill any seafood" though. You certainly could have killed seafood on the southern coast, and any additional seafood in the bottom left island would have been functionally wasted. With IND leaders I think it's important to stay on the coastline (GLH best wonder) and try to keep some hills available. I don't think mids would have been a practical choice here on deity had you not found horses. For SIP (1W) having floodplain and 3 hammer plains hills near makes warrior->wb a more tolerable opening than it usually is.

Ah - not into family movies.

Spoiler :
T1 autosave. True, on T0 I can't tell if there is fish 3S of warrior or 1E of it. Coastal seafood can not be killed with the ph settle barring extremely unlucky land formation on the western coast. "Any additional seafood in the bottom left island would have been functionally wasted" makes no sense to me. Are you implying it is possible that you cannot settle the island spot? As can be seen from the screenshot, I know on T0 after the warrior move I am able to settle it.

Civ4ScreenShot0026.JPG

Spoiler :
im saying there's 11? tiles that potentially could be seafood that could only be worked by that island. Since that island already has efficient food with two clams, there's a big risk of a food glut in that island if anymore seafood is revealed, with your only flexibility being to share one clam with the capital sans lighthouse.

Spoiler :
Sure, though in that case the capital will be working one clam a lot. And say there are 3 extra fishes that you can then only work from that island city. Is that a disaster of some sort? I say no.

BTW since it's immortal it's likely you can still get GLH in 2nd city, if you really really want it.

Spoiler :
Well if there were no horses and 2 more seafoods you would have felt awful about how you settled. With tiles going your way (but no war chariot target) I'm still happy with SIP. Ultimately I'm 100% sure I'm IND but only ~20% sure war chariots make sense on any given map. And I disagree that you can consistently get GLH on IMM with a second city, especially if you detour to AH. The reasonability of that is at least dependent on turn 1 land tile demographics.

Spoiler :
yeah but I was lied to. War chariots! :crazyeye:

Wait a second, this is the starting view:

Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0088.JPG

Doesn't this imply 0 extra food chances by moving to the plains hill?

Spoiler :

Doesn't this imply 0 extra food chances by moving to the plains hill?
Yes. You can see my warrior move from my T1 screenshot. Do you imply that you should definitely not move if there is no possibility of extra food? I moved for the extra :hammers: and didn't worry that much about leaving clams for later. We were supposed to smash the enemies with war chariots anyway... :lol:

Spoiler :

Yes. You can see my warrior move from my T1 screenshot. Do you imply that you should definitely not move if there is no possibility of extra food? I moved for the extra :hammers: and didn't worry that much about leaving clams for later. We were supposed to smash the enemies with war chariots anyway... :lol:
Spoiler :

Yeah I think the war chariots title might've been bait haha. I would guess the suspicious encircled plains tile as 50/50 between horse and copper. I think in terms of acquiring tiles, SIP allows for flexibility in both population growth and commerce options. I guess if you committed to farming the floodplain, that would be an interesting twist. Otherwise, the city will take awhile to get from size 2 to 3, and hammers prior to size 2-4 (depending on your choice) have to be put into warriors not work boats.

Spoiler :
What's all this madness about GLH..Pyras are the prime wonder in Iso without happy resources ;)
Spoiler :
Can always count on Ms. Pyramids to show her loyalty :) Both work well here, but I would argue GLH is better with map/leader. We've got a great GLH map, no required inland cities, seafood start, offshore island, but no stone for mids. With SPI leader I'm inclined to race to CoL for anarchy-free caste switches and religion/temples setting myself up for a more traditional GP game.

Spoiler :

Played to T100 but my micro was really suboptimal and I forgot to avoid meditation for astro bulb.

Settled in place and started with a worker because I thought the plains cow and grass river mine were worth it. Also didn't mind building a few warriors before fish boats for fog busting. AH - Mining - Fishing - BW, 2nd city west of eastern fish (sharing mines with cap) a bit late around turn 40, since I wanted to grow to size 4 first.

Pottery - Sailing - Masonry after, getting GLH in capital turn 65 and have a settler and galley ready for 3rd city on small island. Then building settlers in 2 cities at once to get both the seafood cluster in the northeast of our main island and the small island next to it. After masonry, writing to get a library and a GS in 2nd city, then beeline monarchy which I just got on a bit before turn 100. Capital library was also delayed a bit to keep spamming settlers.

On immortal I wonder if another option would have been to beeline priesthood after BW and oracle monarchy, then still have time for GLH, possibly delaying pottery here. Both wonders together are still cheaper than mids.

Last edited:
Spoiler :

Played to T100 but my micro was really suboptimal and I forgot to avoid meditation for astro bulb.

Settled in place and started with a worker because I thought the plains cow and grass river mine were worth it. Also didn't mind building a few warriors before fish boats for fog busting. AH - Mining - Fishing - BW, 2nd city west of eastern fish (sharing mines with cap) a bit late around turn 40, since I wanted to grow to size 4 first.

Pottery - Sailing - Masonry after, getting GLH in capital turn 65 and have a settler and galley ready for 3rd city on small island. Then building settlers in 2 cities at once to get both the seafood cluster in the northeast of our main island and the small island next to it. After masonry, writing to get a library and a GS in 2nd city, then beeline monarchy which I just got on a bit before turn 100. Capital library was also delayed a bit to keep spamming settlers.

On immortal I wonder if another option would have been to beeline priesthood after BW and oracle monarchy, then still have time for GLH, possibly delaying pottery here. Both wonders together are still cheaper than mids.

Spoiler :
GP issue. Both GLH and mids double as slingshots, with a merchant bulbing MC or an engineer bulbing machinery. Oracle's priest just pollutes. Ironically if you oracle monarchy then GLH, you will get a slower optics time than not oracling anything (unless v lucky merchant spawn). Only way Oracle makes sense in iso is if you can oracle MC directly because you don't have a happiness concern or you have gold/gems/silver and are counting on IND forges.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Can you avoid code of laws until after astronomy?

Spoiler :
GP issue. Both GLH and mids double as slingshots, with a merchant bulbing MC or an engineer bulbing machinery. Oracle's priest just pollutes. Ironically if you oracle monarchy then GLH, you will get a slower optics time than not oracling anything (unless v lucky merchant spawn). Only way Oracle makes sense in iso is if you can oracle MC directly because you don't have a happiness concern or you have gold/gems/silver and are counting on IND forges.

Follow-up question
Spoiler :

Is the map poor enough that settling the first great person will speed up the astronomy date? Or is it still better to make sure that the first two great persons are great scientists?

Spoiler :

Is the map poor enough that settling the first great person will speed up the astronomy date? Or is it still better to make sure that the first two great persons are great scientists?
I am stunned if an optimal astro date can be reached with a strategy that involves settling a GP with a non-PHI leader, on any map.

Top Bottom