Randland 1.0 -Wheel of Time Map (75x50)

Becephalus

King
This map is going to be the foundation of the Wheel of Time MOD I hope, so eventually this map will be a separate thing from the overall MOD.

So this is just a map with fixed starting positions. The map is 75X50 and has 18 civs.

Warning since the map is based on a existing universe it is not necessarily balanced although each starting position has a variety of resources close at hand and most of what they will need nearby. There are only 6 of most items and 12 of the more important items so scarcity is an issue.

I forgot to add goody huts onto the map so they will defnitely be added in version 1.1

Here is a sneak peak at what you are getting

Here is a copy of the README

tWoT for Civ4
Randland 1.0 README

This is hopefully the begining of the Wheel of Time Mod for Civ4.
As of now I (Becephalus) am the sole project member.
I do ask that anyone using this or any future products of this mod ask me first,
either through the threads on the Apolyton or CivFanatics forums
(where you most likely found this) or by email Becephalus@gmail.com.
Anyone who would like to contribute ideas or content should also feel free to contact me.

INSTALLATION
Put this file in your PublicMaps directory in your Civ4 folder
You can then play it by doubleclicking on it in the folder,
or choosing it within the game as a scenario.

MISC. INFO

I have made this map of Randland (the main area in the Wheel of Time books)
for the mod. Right now it is just a map with 18 Civs in the starting locations of the 18
factions I thought should be included.

Each WoT faction was assigned the Civ4 faction I thought best fit,
(this has to be the solution until I can put the time and effort in to create 18 factions).

For any other information questions/comments etc. try here
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144679

FEEDBACK is much appreciated

The Starting Locations are as follows

Civilization = WoT Faction (WoT city in starting location)

Japan = Shienar (Fal Moran)
Mongol = Arafel (Shol Arbela)
Aztec = Kandor (Chachin)
China = Saldea (Maradon)
India = The White Tower (Tar Valon)
French = Cairhien (Cairhien)
English = Andor (Caemlyn)
America = Manetheren (Emond's Field)
Germany = Arad Doman (Bandar Eban)
Russia = Katar (Katar)
Perisa = Tarabon (Tanchico)
Arabia = Amadacia (Amador)
Egypt = Altara (Ebou Dar)
Rome = Murandy (Lugard)
Inca = Illian (Illian)
Spain = Tear (Tear)
Greece = Mayene (Mayene)
Mali = Seafolk (Tremalking)

Attachments

• Randland 1.0.zip
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,575
Looks good, I'll have to try it out. I'm reading the books now and I was thinking they'd make for a good Civ mod.

Are you planning on making it follow the story line, or just make it a "this is what the world was like before Rand" type thing?

Either would be interesting, although incorporating the story line would be really difficult.

Best of luck!

yay! i just finished Knife of Dreams and am so ready for a nice WoT map....looks excellent..i'll be testing it out this weekend since i have a 4day weekend =)

Awesome idea man always glad to see WoT mod's for any game. One small point though.... would it be possible to think about making china carhein? In the books carhein is seemingly either china or japan. They have japan's flag, they use chopsticks the food is chinese the people are described as pale, short and having dark hair. Personnally i always associated them with china as i also thought that sheinar was more japanese. Anyways besides that hell even including that, cool map and thanks for that.
ps:- if you need any help for the MoD let me know i've got no skills besides having read the books a lot though :p.

is it normal that we start with no initial tech?

i'm playing as india(white tower) and i had none......stupid montezuma rushed me before i could score some iron though so now i'm gonna try again.

i guess the next step mod wise is just renaming the civs and city lists(though most will be really shallow...but then again how many cities do you except most to have before they need to conquer to expand...4-5?)

ok so i played till 5am last night with japan/shienar =)

didn't have any starting techs again...so that's probably a bug.

other than that...well it's pretty crowded so i was at war with 2-3 most of the time.....but i guess that fits the mood :p

first thing i might change though is moving montezuma and caesar.....because it doesn't make that much sense flavour wise that murandy and kandor are the biggest warmongers around LOL

maybe switch them out in amadicia and tarabon......caesar would make a great white cloak! and montezuma could represent the seanchan.

i like the placement of ressources so far...everyone gets some good stuff but specifics are still uncommon.

what about stretching the map an extra 3 rows on top to put the blight there with a few strong barbarian cities?

I started a game with Sheinar too (last night, 8 hours so far). Epic, Emporer, so likely will take me 3 or 4 days.

I plopped down on that Stone hill (uber start spot with 6 hammers off the bat) and shot out a settler first who found a neat home on a Marble hill down south a bit. The no starting techs thing was weird as I was able to get Hinduism which I have never yet been able to do on Emporer with starting with a Mystism nation.

Kublai Khan of Arafel is a psycho and came straight at me, and with no copper available for Sheiner I thought it was looking grim, but I got Oracle from the Marble city and saw that Iron deposit just between both as my 3rd settler came out.

So many forests for Sheiner I was able to chop myself an army of over 30 swordsmen in no time and have been waging a constant war for the 7 hours of play since then, and have carved my way through Kandor and am also sieging the Aes Sedai.

Unfortunately, the 18 civ thing has really chugged my system down and for some reason, more so on this mod than any other. I got black shadowed out terrain improvements just now and had to reboot. It's first time I ever got this problem in over 50 games of Civ4. Dunno if it's a prob with the mod, but I didn't get shading problems with even Earth 18 civs mod (just slowing lag).

I will try persevere with my current game, but either way, I look forward to playing this again when you have customised the civs. It's a bit of fun but doesn't have any WoT flavour of course. It's so tight that most players aren't going to see hardly on of the map anyway.

If I was to give any advice at this point, I would suggest considering whether you truly need 18 civs, and see if you can't shave off 4 or 5. It will allow everyone to play (18 on huge is minority crowd) and shaving them off would allow everyone to get more of a feel of the map (as opposed to merely 3-5% of it, settling with about 5 cities as will be the case for most players).

Still, nice start. My thanks and appreciation.

Its a failry large map and mostly land so with 18 civs that can be a ton of cities. As far as starting techs go I wanted to assign them in principled way dealing with the series and couldn't decide so i just took them all away. That will of course be different in the future.

I wish somebody would make a WoT scenario with the civilizations and the Blight!That would be awesome.

Very nice. I look forward to the scenario. But wheres the Aiel?

Really keen to build a WoT mod/scenario. This looks like a really good map, so I'd love to use it, maybe cooperate on building it into something more.
I'm currently scouring Civfanatics for a stable editor (the Worldbuilder being fairly limited and irritating to use for more than map creation). Any suggestions?

I was thinking of first of all just getting customized Civs, then build a scenario with all the nations (pre-Rand, as mentioned above, maybe with False Dragons and Shadowspawn as barbarians), and then maybe try and build a Rand-focussed scenario, trying to unite the world (maybe coming out of the Waste with an army of Aiel).

At the moment this is all pie in the sky, but I have a few more weeks before I need to do anything useful with my life, so...

Nice work, thanks. What is Katar? That's the only nation I don't remember.

Can't wait to see custom civs and a scenario or two. Rand coming out of the three-fold land would make a great one, as Sammy mentioned, and so would the Seanchen invasion.

There could also be 'historical' scenarios, like the Aiel War in Cairhien, the Trolloc Wars, with fists of trollocs sweeping out of the Blight, or the formation of Artur Hawkwing's empire.

Edit: Had some thoughts about tech tree, buildings, and stuff. There could be a Organized Male Channeling tech, which allows construction of the Black Tower, from which Ashaman could be trained. If possible, Ashaman could be scripted to randomly take a small amount of damage (representing men going insane/dying from the taint) until Cleansing the Taint is researched.

No clue how Forsaken could be handled, but they would make an interesting addition. GP perhaps?

Katar is a free city in the no-mans land between arad doman and tarabon, the area called the Almoth plain

Should just make Katar a barbarian city likely. Aiel or Seachan would be nice as an extra Civ, and horrendous amounts of barbarians in the blight would suit Trollocs.

Manetheren seems a bit out of place since its an ancient Civ and there would have been several other Civs during that time (I'm positive some of the middle books even reference their names). Especially so since Ghealdan is missing.

I'd remove Manetheren and Katar for the above reasons, add in Ghealdan, and add either Edmonds Fields (although technically Edmonds Fields was part of Caemlyn) with some name derived from Perrins wolf banner or use that last spot in three Scenarios, like using it for the Aiel in an Aiel Wars one, or a for Trollocs in a Trollocs wars and such, or for the Seachan in the Corenn.

Also, about the White and Black Tower, could make both Wonders of the World that found religions (and perhaps one for the True Source, aka Dark Ones power) or conversely as religions founded by first to discover a tech and have the Towers be the religous wonders of the world that Great Prophets can create in the Holy Cities. In the first case, could make Tar Valon (I'd call them Tar Valon not the White Tower until they make it) have access to marble early on and make double production speed with marble. And in the second case, just either give Tar Valon access to tech for founding as the beginning or have the base techs that lead to it soonest.

I have WorldBuilder files now with the Civ details changed (and one with some city names added); I've been using notepad and this program: http://http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=144414

If anyone has more city names for Tear, Illian and Mayene, please tell me.

I'm thinking perhaps of getting rid of Manetheren and the Seafolk (and possibly Kandor) and adding Ghealdan. I'd also like to add the Aiel and maybe the Seanchan, but they can wait for the moment.

Here are the files:
Civs Changed: http://pickup.mofile.com/7627591553031142
Civs Changed and City Names added:http://pickup.mofile.com/5475448097932405

If anyone wants to test these and make sure they work alright, that would be great.
Becephalus - this map is great, and I hope you don't mind me making use of it like this.

I'll post again when I have more to show.

Here's Randland 1.1. with random placed goody huts.

Attachments

• Randland 1.1.zip
    20.9 KB · Views: 636
YAY! i love wheel of time!

doesnt look like its possible to enter the blight ;)
...and how do you incoporate Trollocs, Myrddal, Aes Sedai...?
cool if you could add leaderheads too, so teh Queen of Caemlyn would be Morgase, the head of the White tower would be Suiane Sanche ( until book 4...)

Sammael said:
If anyone is interested, I have been working on a WoT scenario, with the nations of 'Randland' as they were at the start of Eye of the World. It's unfinished, but very much playable.

Download here:
www.rowanclark.com/WoTScenariov025.zip

I downloaded your scenario and messed around with it a bit, although I haven't played a game yet. First off, I do like it. I'd been thinking of doing something like that but didn't have access to good enough maps.

I do have a few suggestions. First off, why is Mansa Musa (Far Madding) at war with everyone? Also, there are a couple of cities that were undefended when I looked in worldbuilder, either because they started that way or because the ai moved it's defenders. One was in Andor, I forget which city. I also don't think every city should be Hindu. Maybe you can use different religions to create the anatgonisms between various countries (Tear & Illian, Tarabon & Arad Doman, etc.)

For the most part though, great job! I'm going to have a lot of fun playing it.

Top Bottom