Votes: 89 90.8%
  • No, I turn them off

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • no comment

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

Onagan

The Dutch
I never play with Random Events since I lost my 34XP, Medic III, Morale, Flanking I & Navigation II Carrier (9:move:) It ruined my entire fleet, and my planned invasion.

I' don't like random events in Civ (good or bad), because i want to carefully plan my 'road to victory' and don't want have to change my plan.

I'm the only one, or do more people turn them off?

It can be quite upsetting to see a carefully planned invasion fleet destroyed, but that's the fun part of random events.

Sure most of them are just fun rather than anything really happening, but it does add some variety to the game. I only wish there were more that occurred.

I played long time having thos on, but switched them off in some games recently -enought games played, they become just to repetetive - more a nuisiance than a change.

I wish you could play with Quests on and Events off.

My goodness... I'm trying to figure out how you got a carrier promoted that far - GG led, I assume? Or did you hunt down privateers with your carrier? :)

Cyrus (Charismatic) + Theology + Vassalage + Pentagone + West Point + Dock + Great General + Red Cross for Medic I
It was brand new, It didn't last for 10 turns. No kills made yet, only 4 to it's next promotion.

Of course it's the worst i've suffered, but I also dislike the good ones. I like to calculate things out before put into action. One event and my calculation is rubbish. that's what I hate about it.

What was the random event that destroyed the Carrier?

I play with events on all the time. Gives the game a more "real" feel, and helps to add some variation to my games.

I think there is one called Bermuda triangle, that will let a ship disappear...... I only rarely seen it...

Anyway... sounds like a poor navy, if the loss of a single warship - even a highly promoted one - can ruin a entire invasion plan...

Random events can be really annoying, especially since the bad events seem to happen more often than the good ones, but a lot of the bad events hurt you way less (usually just destroying a tile improvement or requiring you to pay some gold to nullify an effect) than the good ones seem to help you.

The good events and quests add a lot of flavor and variety to the game. Unfortunately, the only events that happen with any kind of consistency are the annoying ones like the mining accident and the forest fire.

A good plan should be flexible, as there are always unforseen circumstances that can happen. Random events or not, you can never guarantee that your invasion force will win. All you can do is improve your odds, as thats how the combat works.

Ya know, i voted yes in the poll, but I'm slowly being convinced to start playing without - I love the added content, and the situations that occasionally arise, and the unexpected turns (both for good and bad)...

But I guess that's my problem - it's not really much variety in added content anymore. Too many games with the same mine exploding 4 or 5 times (OK, probably an exaggeration, but it certainly seems like that many!)

So, to amend my response to the poll, I do use random events, but wish there was more variety in them!

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about the severity or negative effects of random events - I like them, and appreciate the challenge of negative ones just as I enjoy the occasional benefits of the positive ones. I just rarely see anything other than explding mines, factory/library/theater fires, and forest fires anymore...

Sounds like you have quite a few pyromaniacs in your empires, Jeffrey. :p

*Always has events on*

lol... yeah, I guess that "Fun with Matches" book I gave my citizens to read wasn't such a good idea...

Seriously, though, can I buy a "Smokey the Bear" random event that reduces the chance of future fires in exchange for an up-front cost to cover the marketing expenses? Barring that, I'd like to find the natural resource 'asbestos' somewhere in my hills...

I play with them on, mostly they are annoying. I hate when I plan on chop-rushing some stuff, only to have forest fires start taking out my forests. It's especially fun when preparing for war and a hurricane destroys your barracks.

But my absolute favorite are the quests. And they are supposed to be related to in game activities. What about raising a massive army in game indicates to it that I plan on founding cities on 7 land masses? Or I love when one turn it tells me to build 7 forges, next turn it tells me to build 7 coloseums, and then next turn it tells me to build 7 stables.

ON, they can be annoying but good events happen also.

The quests do make things interesting, though. I had six cities in one game, boxed in on all sides by the AI, and got a quest that required seven buildings... libraries I think. Really made me think about war rushing a little bit earlier than I had planned.

But yeah, some of the negative event strings are annoying. One in particular, an espionage event that destroys a number of tiles around your city as well as buildings in the city seems to happen a number of times to me if it ever occurs in a game. I got so mad early on that I had to quit one game, it happened three times in a row and blew up the forge and all the mine tiles in a city that was building the The Oracle. Of course, then another AI got it right before I did :mad:

I still play with them on, though. In my most recent game it got me into a war with a Civ that I wanted to fight, but if I had declared war otherwise I think an entire continent would have attacked me. No strings attached!

I like random events - they add a layer of unpredictability to the game. And I don't really mind losing a whole lot, so I'm cool with them. :p

Top Bottom