Rapture-believing Christians?

Do you believe in the Rapture?

• I am a Rapture-believing Christian.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I am not a Rapture-believing Christian.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I am Christian, and am unsure.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I am not a Christian, but also believe in a religious apocalypse.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • The only apocalpyse I know of involves CFC server outages.

Votes: 53 51.0%

• Total voters

Smellincoffee

Trekkie At Large
The Rapture is a belief within some Christian movements that at some point prior to the Apocalypse, the faithful are going to be taken from the Earth. Some believe they will vanish, others believe "gravity will lose its hold" and they will float into the stratosphere. This may happen before, during, or after a seven-year period of Tribulation in which God throws everything he's got at the Earth. (Fire, pestilence, poison, armies of mythical creatures, etc.)

I was raised Pentecostal and told every week that God could come back any moment. The rapture was never a background idea, but one constantly harped upon. As a result, whenever I lost contact with my parents for a long period of time, I would grow worried -- and in high school, I had a list of people who I would call if I thought the rapture had happened. (Everyone on the list had to be 'saved', but they were ranked in order of my being able to justify calling them for reasons other than, "Hey, we're not doomed are we?") Interestingly, there were some Pentecostals who did not believe in it, and I remember one was verbally abused by my ex-preacher from the pulpit when he was not there to defend himself. The preacher hated the fact that this man would stand up for his disbelief in the rapture. Later Pentecostalism, the Rapture, and religion in general lost their power over me and I've since regarded Rapture-belief taught only by a few fundamentalist denominations. I've seen comments from Christians in more conventional denominations, however, that indicated they believed in it.

So, I'm wondering -- which Christians believe in the Rapure?

Yes, absolutely. It is as sure to happen as I breath air. No telling when, but no doubt at all that it will.

I am firm believer in Ragnarök. Our LORD Odin will return to smite the heathens and be swallowed by Fenrir who shall be slayin by HIS son, Víðarr. And the world shall be reborn as a better world!
Moderator Action: And guess what happens, more spam follows.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

what's the history behind the rapture myth btw?

i take it some protestants came up with it somewhere along the line, as neither catholics nor orthodox believe this?

Moderator Action: Thank you.
Spoiler :
Did I just thinak HK for one of his posts? :eek;

Yes, absolutely. It is as sure to happen as I breath air. No telling when, but no doubt at all that it will.
Seconded. I believe in the Rapture. And I believe nobody knows when it will happen.

I am firm believer in Ragnarök. Our LORD Odin will return to smite the heathens and be swallowed by Fenrir who shall be slayin by HIS son, Víðarr. And the world shall be reborn as a better world!

I have faith that he will too!

Human ego at its finest.

'Of course Jesus will return soon. He'll want to meet me personally!'

Moderator Action: Enough with the trolling
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Most Christians believe in the second coming of Christ, rapture has nothing to do with this.

These are what are known in the trade as "millennial teachings". I don't believe in suchlike and nor do any other Christian Scientists, lapsed or otherwise. As we are all God's children, we don't need Christ to come back and tell us this and, as there is no hell, the entire point of the Rapture is rather nullified.

I was raised in a Southern Baptist family where the rapture (before the tribulation, before Christ's return and the millennium) was taken as a given. As a child I assumed that the bible was clear on this, although I could never find any specific verses that definitively proved it. When I looked into it further I found that a plain reading of the verses usually twisted into supporting a pre-tribulation rapture does nothing of the sort.

I am now a Historic premillennialist, and Christian mortalist. We aren't going to be caught up into heaven, heaven is coming to us after the bodily resurrection of the dead.

Seconded. I believe in the Rapture. And I believe nobody knows when it will happen.

I'm with this viewpoint as well. And those who continually predict the timing do the Church and God an injustice.

It was made up by some Puritan in the 17th century, at least that is where it first started.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture#Doctrinal_history

Interesting reading, although the article does not actually say that the Puritans 'began" the teaching, only that they expressed it. Worth looking further into it.

Perfection: Why so sure?

The Bible is very clear about something that is going to happen. Not just the I Thess 4:17 quote, but most of Matthew ch 24 is devoted to it as well. And there are lots of others.
Jesus referred to His coming again many times, including after the Ressurection. He believed it, why shouldn't His followers?

For Smellincoffee: It is a shame that you were never shown the true perspective and meaning of it all. You would have had an easier time of it.

You people do know the Rapture is an invention of the 19th century? and that the real Bible says nothing about this phenomenon?

Top Bottom