Rat 33 - AWE 3BC - pangaea

Steam Power will help immensely, we can go more to a man-to-man defense, where all of our troops can defend against landings, rather than our current defense of scattered troops in a zone defense. How are we for railing? We'll need groups of 6 workers or 12 slaves to get single turn rails, first priority is a rail "backbone" for fast movement, but I'm not sure we have many workers. It will take some time just to get our core connected to the front. It may take awhile before we can make a big push.

I'd say we're still 2-3 turnsets away from a rail backbone - we don't have all that many workers, and even for the ones we DO have, they're kinda scattered.

It might be worth peeling off a few workers from our more productive cities between Cav builds; we don't have the force concentration to make a convincing offensive without opening ourselves to major setbacks, and a slight delay as we peel off a few workers won't matter as much as the faster railing that the workers will allow.

I hope we can expand soon. This is only emperor, thus we should be able to expand with our armies.

Problem is, we don't have the defensive forces to hold our army-bought gains against cavs.

We also lack sufficient armies to expand at a fast enough rate that defenses are irrelevant.

Once we get rails in place, we'll have plenty of units for frontline defense...and maybe enough attackers to not need many defenders.

I played some last night. We took the city of Yokoyama in 1315. I doubt I will expand very far though because this has allowed every civ to reach us and has generated a mini-rush at us. It is even possible we may have to let the city go as England is sending a bunch of Cavalry, and Arab is sending their UU (also speed 3). I expect the slower unit will be coming behind them as well.

Once the rush is finished though, I think we can make steady progress forward. The continent doesn't widen that much and there doesn't appear to be much to the north-east of us - its pretty much all west.

BTW we had coal, but none was connected giving me a bit of an initial scare.

Preturn: Looks pretty good. I will try to get us more workers to get rails sooner.

1305 AD: Take back Brigthton. One army takes 13 pts of damage killing a Musket.

IBT: Several Ansar Warriors spotted. Landing near PyongYang

1310 AD: Capture Yokohama. Do some road cutting to slow Cav. Find Japanese Iron. Spot 7 English Cav.

IBT: Looks like a lot of English Cav coming our way. Another Pyongyang landing.

1315 AD: We don't have coal connected. One is in unroaded jungle, the other is in unroaded jungle just outside our territory. Going for the 1 turn Colony
Whoops, Nagasaki ends up with only 1 unit in it. This means I have to raze it or lose the Army as I have no movement left.

See picture for road cutting:

1320 AD: Lose two Cav on the landed Cav because it is on the mountain
Need to cut another road to keep the English stack of 8 Cav from our town
Kill a stack of 4 Japanese Cav and 1 English Cav that could reach. Road to Yokoyama will complete next turn.

1325 AD: Kill 11 Cav including English stacks of 8 and 2. There are now no visible Cavalry, but Rifles are coming at us that we need to deal with. Pillaged English Horses and they now don't have them.

1330 AD: Armies healing.

1335 AD: Captured Matsuyama. It has mountains around it which will help keep off the Cavalry.
Lose a Cav to a 2 HP Rifle. Capture Nagoya in the north. Japan should be out of Cav up there with no Horses.

IBT: Big Japanese Landing with Samuri protecting the Cavalry. Could some troubles

1340 AD: Landing is in an unfortunate spot - hard to get to and AI can attack multiple towns. I basically have to leave Nampo undefended.
Capture Edo, but it may be taken back if Cav are in the right spot (there are 2 spots). Left the city empty.

IBT: Nampo Captured when our Knight loses to a Cav.

1345 AD: Kill off 2 Cav and Samuri but costs us 2 Cav. Final two Samuri are on Mountain so the best I can do is block them. Again Edo is in slight danger.

IBT: Samuri attack and kill a Musket (first retreats).

1350 AD: Samuri issues are now dealt with.
Capture Izumo in the north with Cav only (losing 1 cav).

Notes:
Only Fustat is in the North. It has Rifles so I think an army will be needed (or artillery).
Edo is finally safe this turn from attack.
Rail backbone is getting close to completion. I built extra workers to save Namp'o area.
We can attack Satsuma next turn. Some more road cutting and I think we can defend from Cav.
England has reconnected the Horses and like Persia has all but coal (E's coal currently disconnected). Japan has no resources and Arabia lacks Saltpeter.

I drew our aprox rail backbone on the mini-map in yellow.

Picture also show a general cav defense concept. Cut roads one away from your civ. Then it take 1 to move onto yellow, 1 to move off, and 1 to move next to the city. Thus cav cannot reach.

Troubles with save. Will try next post.

this looks much better !!! great job :goodjob:

I take it we all agree on the electricity - RP path before deciding where to go next. and of course I got it

Nice work, Greebley! That really helped re-establish our momentum.

As for science, I'd say Electricity->RP, then Industrialization. After that, it probably doesn't matter - I'm sure we'll be done with this game long before we get Flight!

Played 6 turns so far and got the Japanese eliminated from the game at this turn. I can't complain about leader luck either as I added 3 cavalry armies

No more Samurai.....that is great news! More armies...even better! I think we are in a much better position now. I'm sure we are getting closer to Domination, but winning by killing everyone is starting to sound appealing too. I'll take the win either way.

Pre-Turn
MM a bit, our production is quite meager

1. 1355AD
defeat 2 rifles in Fustat, a LB left
take Satsuma, take out 2 units at the front and continue to rail to the front

IT Persia loses 4 cavs at Satsuma

2. 1360AD
defeat LB in Fustat and gain a MGL, attack with redlined cav and take the city from another LB
form army
attack Kyoto and take out 5 rifles, still a musket left (4 rifles were drafted)
take out an English cav and gain yet another MGL, this one has to stay in enemy land for now

continue to rail to our core and the front

IT Persia ignores Satsuma but drop 5 cavs in our hinterland
England suicides a Cav
we get some cultural expansions

3. 1365AD
take Kyoto, it has 4 wonders including Bachs
am able to form another army
redline and take out all 5 Persian cavs and gain another MGL
am short of cavs to fill those armies

rail to Korea to free some cavs for our armies. clear some enemies at the front
we better take our Japan before the cities flip

pillage English saltpeter and they aren't owners of it any longer

4. 1370AD
take out 5 units and Osaka and incense is ours
cover workers at front with armies so we can rail all the way up, bomb units and clear quite a few
we simply need more cavalry, start to attack Kagoshima

IT Persia is going after Osaka

5. 1375AD
take Kagoshima
with the help of armies and bombardment, am able to clear a lot of cavs and other stuff around

6. 1380AD
take Nara, Japan has one city left, manage to take Tokyo as it got a mere 2 defenders and Japan is out :dance:
take out a few units and gain a 4th army this round

7. 1385AD
Tokyo is a real hot spot right now and we need to clear units there before expanding again
clear 11 units there, start to attack Coventry
while clearing get yet another army #5

IT electricity is in, RP next

8. 1390AD
there are more units next to Tokyo
bombard and clear them, gain another MGL
capture Coventry for 529gold

9. 1395AD
clear some units and capture Nottingham for another 500+ and Sun Tzu
during the usually clearing actions get a MGL, but we can't form an army
so much about that army built in our capital, swap that built to Newtons

10. 1400AD
clear newly founded Hastings in our hinterland for a mere 333gold
attack London and take out 7 rifles

clear quite a few other units, empty our 2 English cities from armies, they move for full healing into others
please do NOT use them for attack as they can heal, some of the worker covering armies are the same

If we go for conquest I suggest to raze London for the high flip risk
would keep Nottingham for Sun Tzu of course

The Roster
ThERat
TheOverseer - up
Mathias
Elephantinum
Greebley

Lurker's comment: Great going guys ! This is looking like a sure win, especially since you'll be able to produce a crapload of artillery very soon wich will allow you to raze major towns and go for Conquest. Who are left ? Arabia and England ? Arabia seems to pretty much be a non factor and with the English no longer having salpeter...

England and Persia are the major foes with Arabia sidelined. I wouldn't even bother about them for now.

Unfortunately England has regained saltpeter, but Persia doesn't have it now.

Got it, will begin playing this afternoon. I'll see what kind of whackage is possible. Should we start building a couple boats in case of islands, or just kill everything we can and hope there are none? My gut feel is there wil probably be some.

I'd say build three boats - rush one in Osaka, rush one in a city on the north-east coast, and build one in a core city between Cav builds.

I'm done with my turn-set, but a web-glitch ate my turn-log and handoff, so I'll post it tomorrow.

Top Bottom