Rat 34 AWE - random

ThERat

Deity
A all random AWE was suggested.

First roll got me the scenario below, everything is set on random except for barbarians (sorry guys, I can't stand that element of the game). Map size is standard.

As we are Maya, set research to WC to get our UU that will create tons of slaves. I wouldn't even bother to produce more of them. We seem to be located rather central, thus it might be dicey. I suggest to build 1/2 JT and then a settler. I went for alphabet next as the combo JT/cats is great.

The Roster
ThERat - just started us
Elephantinum - up
Mathias
TheOverseer
Greebley

Plarq, did I understand it correctly that you want to join?

Pre-turn:

Look around, everything looks good.

2900 BC - finish 1st JT
2710 BC - finish 2nd JT
2670 BC - lux slider to 20%
2590 BC - sci slider to 60% to avoid bankruptcy. Finish settler.

I'm going to hand off the save at this point. We need to discuss where to send Mr. Settler. I also reset the sliders before saving the game (60% sci, 0% lux) to avoid both excess entertainment and deficit spending.

Attachments

• Rat34_2550.SAV
    63.2 KB · Views: 181
  • rat34_2550bc.JPG
    rat34_2550bc.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 211
no, sorry, I'm on Linux, and I'm not sure I can master Wine.
Definitely lurk, and might join the game after my other computer got fixed.

linux and a virtual xp running on it works fine for me. maybe you should give it a try.

I can't tell but the hill the JT is on may be on the river. If so it seems the best next site. A central location means on a hill is stronger, and if we don't lose the river doing so AND are next to the wheat AND are 3 from the Capitol AND don't waste the BG, I think the clear winner is the hill. If its not on the river, then I think the non bonus grassland wins as we can put other cities at distance 3 despite the capitol being distance 4. The important part is to be able to reinforce the city in one turn if some large unit stack shows up.

I think that would be a fine place to build a second town. If it isn't on the river, the regular grass tile works. A third town could go on the hill by the floodplain tiles.

I agree with that spot. Looks fine

Mathias, do you have it?

Yes, and I'll build our second city where the JT is standing, but I have a question for the team. Should we plan on building on the incense hill, or one tile south? In other words, should I connect the lux with a road, or leave it for a settler?

The incense will soon be in the midst of our core. If not, we are doomed anyway. Do not cram our core with cities.

2470 BC - Copán founded

2350 BC - IT: Alphabet >> Mathemathics

2310 BC - IT: Viking border pops up in the east

2270 BC - IT: Yellow border pops up in the south

Chichén Itza has trained two more JTs and is now capable of 10 spt at +2 fpt.

Attachments

• Rat34_BC2150.SAV
    70.7 KB · Views: 128
Shall we in fact develop Copan as our settler factory then since the capital makes 10spt already? And do we dare sneak attack Scandinavia with a few JT's?

The Roster
ThERat
Elephantinum
Mathias
TheOverseer - up
Greebley

I think if we have enough to defend, sure. Interesting being able to plan more than a couple city locations and plan for a settler factory. Got the save, will play tomorrow evening.

I'd say "yes" to both questions - send 3-4 JTs to sneak attack the Vikes and rely on future construction for immediate defense - I'm guessing we'll have another 10-15 turns before we really get a flood of enemy units coming at us.

Finished the turn-set, only playing 10. Started the Viking war, we might get an early knockout there. Here is the turn-log:

Spoiler :

Pre-Flight: CivAssist 2, Word running. Open the save, look things over.
Move the JT north.

Civilian units:
Workers 1

Military units:
Warriors 2
Javelin Throwers 4

Unit Support:
Total units: 7
Allowed: 8
Support cost: 0 gpt

Press enter=>

IBT: Treasury warning.

Turn 1, 2110 BC: Lower tech slider to 80%.

IBT: Worker finishes road on BG.

Turn 2, 2070 BC: Move Worker to wheat.

IBT: Chichen Itza Javelin Thrower=> Javelin Thrower.

Turn 3, 2030 BC: Move new JT north.
Begin irrigating wheat.

IBT: :sleep:

Turn 4, 1990 BC: 3 JTs set out for Viking city.

Turn 5, 1950 BC: Move JTs closer to Oslo.

IBT: Chichen Itza Javelin Thrower=> Javelin Thrower.
Worker finishes irrigating wheat.

Turn 6, 1910 BC: Meet Vikings, they have 5 towns, up CB, BW, and the Wheel. Declare.
Begin roading wheat.

IBT: Copan Barracks=>Granary.

Turn 7, 1870 BC: JT kills Spear clean, destroying Oslo, begin Golden Age.

IBT: Finish roading wheat.

Turn 8, 1830 BC: Moving east, JTs spot Trondheim

IBT: a Warrior and Archer move into view near our stack.

Turn 9, 1790: Bypass the Viking units, spot a settler. Bet he retreats.

Turn 10, 1750 BC:

Civilian units:
Workers 1

Military units:
Warriors 2
Javelin Throwers 7

Unit Support:
Total units: 10
Allowed: 8
Support cost: 2 gpt

Sliders
70% tech/20%taxes/10%luxury

Research:
Mathematics, 3 turns, 1 gpt. (4 in the bank)

One picture:
Spoiler :

The save:

nice :goodjob:

Let's get some more cities so we can at least partially reap the GA. It would be great to expand towards Vikings.

Preturn: Building a settler rather than JT since we have reached size 6.

IBT: Settler and Spear pass the 3 Javs.

1725 BC: We kill the Spear but it costs us a Javalin. We gain 3 slaves - two from settler.
We are unfortunately next to an Archer.

1700 BC: Two Archers attack and we lose one of the two Javalin. The final one retreats with the 3 slaves.

1675 BC: Continue to retreat from Archers and meet up with other Javs.

1650 BC: There are 3 Archers running about now. We have 3 Javs to deal with them when they are together.

1625 BC: Jav attacks an Archer and loses. Next one kills the other Archer. 3rd Archer is not yet visible.

1600 BC: Fortify in case we are attacked. Can't attack back safely.

IBT: Archers are going around.

1575 BC: Kill two Archers. One remains.

IBT: Archer kills us flawlessly with us on the hill. Another annoying bad RNG turn. Archer and 2 Warrior appear from the north (Viking). We also meet the Iroquois (Seems like they are in a lot of games) and declare war.

1550 BC: Barely kill an Archer with our Javalin.

1525 BC: Kill a Warrior.

1500 BC: Our 1 hp Elite Jav will make it back to town.

Notes:
Vikings have been very annoying. They are fairly strong with 4 towns despite the damage we have done to them Some units came from the north so they may have towns that way.
Iroquois Warrior fortified where it was when I first saw it. May be North as well.
Managed to build a Worker as we were falling behind on improvements.
We have 5 Jav which is pretty much the same I had when I started.
I would put Palenque on Catapults when it finishes the Walls.
This is looking like a tough game. We seem somewhat surrounded.

Top Bottom