RB1 - Cuban Isolationists

(3) 1969AD We complete a ton of units, get about ten different border expansions. War weariness is kicking in again, so I pump up culture tax to 20%; when we eliminate or make peace with Rome, that should go down again.

Militarily, all our targets have been more or less killed off, so not much to hit this turn. Let me therefore explain an old Civ3 term here, the use of the "combat settler":

The problem is as follows. We want to get to the north island, but we don't want to wait for 10 more turns for Pisae to come out of resistance. Therefore we found a city on the indicated spot (the settler was produced in Matanzas last turn and flown into Pisae - those airports really make for some fast transit). Now we've got the city we need, and we just need the unit:

Now we've got the city in the spot we want; it will expand borders in just 2 turns and allow us to reach the island. With our civ now running Universal Suffrage, we can click on the button I've indicated above and rush a transport. Rather pricey, true, but we've got more than enough income to spare it. This will let our tanks roll out and keep right on going with barely a pause. :D Yes indeed, don't forget to make use of settlers as you conduct wartime operations. (You could do even more with combat settlers in Civ3, but fortunately those exploitative features were removed for Civ4.)

After that, not too much happens beyond moving an enormous number of units. :)

(4) 1970AD More completion of buildings, units, etc. I am disappointed to only get 3 border expansions this turn (geez, such cultural slackers!) We now have a transport ready to attack the Roman island, but we need another turn to wait for borders to expand. So I rush a SECOND transport up there too! Hey, why not, we're getting over 1000 gold per turn! :lol: This is basically a staging turn, setting things up for the next one. Despite that, Rome's *ONE* SAM in Ostia manages to kill one of our stealths when I was bombarding its defenses this turn. Sheesh! What is with my luck on these bombing runs?!

(5) 1971AD Lots of stuff finishes. Most important is the expansion of borders at Combat Settler, allowing us to ferry units over to the last non-Cuban stronghold in the eastern hemisphere. And also another interesting little tidbit comes up this turn:

Alex is starting work on the spaceship! :eek: Well, that adds a little spice to this race for domination, doesn't it? He's only competed two casings (the most basic part), so I don't think we're in any real danger, but it's just another reminder not to tarry too long here!

Our new transports ferry four tanks over to the northern island, and another four will land next turn. I figure eight units should be enough to take out the meagre resistance up there:

We'll just have to take away Caesar's last remaining icy refuge up here and see what he has to say about giving us a city then! :hammer: Aside from some movements in this area, mostly a setup turn here again.

(6) 1972AD More borders popping, we're getting close to having complete control of this northern continent now. Alex completes an SS Thrusters! We'll have to get over there and start causing him problems, no doubt about it.

Ostia falls easily:

The other tanks head for Otica, the Incan city that shares that island. Huayna has a bomber :eek: in that city, but I doubt it will stand up to a column of 6 armor.

So will Caesar be willing to part with a city now for peace, to give us a foothold on the other continent?

Doesn't look like it. :(

And thus the fearsome Cuban warriors found themselves at an impass. They lacked not for courage, nor for audacity, but could find no way to pursue their enemies beyond the mighty oceans to the west. Being a simple people, fearful to sail their ships beyond their own familiar seas, the Cubans would be unable to pusue their quarries to the finish and mete out justice upon the wicked.

Then did the wise and powerful hydra speak, delivering forth her commandments from her triple serpentine mouths: "Children of Cuba, the time of thy greatness is at hand. Fear nought the raging seas to the west, for my hand shall shelter and guide thee always. Be there amongst thou warriors pure of heart willing to answer the call of thy nation in her hour of need?"

At this, the great multitude of Cuban soldiers pressed forward, all volunteering to take part in the mission. But the hydra rejected them all, "for I have forseen that thy spirit is lacking, e'en though the flesh be strong." No one was able to withstand the scrutiny of the hydra, and there was great despair throughout the land.

And then, as a ray of morning light breaks through the clouds of darkness, the hydra alighted upon the target of her search. They were no more than a small group of guards, armed with nothing more than outdated rifles. "Arise, my children," spake the hydra, "for the time of deliverance is at hand. I have seen that thou holdst the purity of heart in thy bosoms that shall allow thee to overtake e'en the greatest of foes. Despair not, and know that I shall be with thee always. Thy quest shall lead the Cubans to heights as yet unimagined in song or rhyme, and thou shall gain glory everlasting.

Thus did the Cuban riflemen embark on their journey, to do battle with the foes of Mother Cuba with the faith of the hydra ever in their hearts.

Translation: :)
Sirian and I discussed this earlier, and we decided that if the AI simply refused to part with any cities under any circumstances, we'd enact the following rule:

"The Hydra commands us to send our troops into battle. We are to prove our superiority by sending only our untrained Rifleman conscripts, one transport load to each of the remaining continents."

One transport of unpromoted riflemen? Surely you can't take over an entire continent with that?! :mischief:

OK then, here we go! I load up all our remaining unupgraded rifles (not too many of them, to be honest) and set sail for the remaining continents. Cuban ships venture out of their borders for the first (and last) time ever!

First strike force lands on the eastern Greek island with three rifles and a settler. If we can raze Eretria next turn and found our own city on the tile with the settler, we'll have a legal path to the Greek continent!

Meanwhile, Huayna Capac has his own airforce, making things much more difficult in our strike after the Incan continent:

We're going to need more jets to shoot down their planes, so I swap production of some stealths to jets. Our one transport leaves our cultural borders to deliver strike force #2:

This is a one-time deal, no reinforcements allowed except by air. It's going to be extremely difficult to get a foothold on the Incan continent that way, but we'll do our best. There could be a spectucular show of air power down there in the southern ice if we can manage to get a toehold. Let's pray that the AI doesn't go after that stack of rifles. All they need to do is get control of Andahuayla for one turn, and we'll be set! Up to the AI and the dice now...

(7) 1973AD Caesar attacks our transport with his (half-strength) destroyer between turns and loses. Ha! And... that's the only AI attack we face between turns! No attacks on our strike forces! That means we should be able to grab a foothold on BOTH continents!

Charis' city hits 100 culture. Just in case he reads this later, let me show you what an iceball it is:

I'm sure Charis would be amused! What an iceball! Also in the news, Huayna completes the Apollo Program this turn as well. Alex adds more casings to his ship. They still need a lot of techs, but we shan't dillydally.

"Then it was my turn."

Atico captured, so much for the AI civs in the eastern hemisphere:

On the Greek front, we do the max damage possible to Eretria with our bombers, then it's time to send in the riflemen. Here goes!

Success! Odds were against us slightly, but the fighting spirit of the Cuban people rose up and smashed down the vile Greek infantry! Truly it was the influence of the great and mighty hydra! :hammer: With the City Garrison infantry out of the way, the SAM unit that is also occupying the city is a snap to take out, and:

We do NOT keep the city, as we want to found our own city right next to it and get our armies moving faster. With the founding of New Eretria, the Cubans now have a base in Greek territory!

Rushing the theatre should get the borders to expand next turn and allow our transports to move in. The winning rifles are upgraded to mechs and Cuban bards will song stories of their glorious deeds for ages yet to come. So the question remains to be asked how fares the other strike force attacking the Inca?

Our bombers do the maximum possible damage to Anda... well, let's just call the city "Anda", shall we?

Now it's up to the riflemen. Fight! Fight on knowing the eyes of a hundred million Cubans rest upon thee!

Victory! :hammer: The victorious soldiers are again promoted to mechs, and shall be immortalized forever in Cuban legend. In ALL FOUR rifleman battles this turn, we were behind in the odds, yet we won all of them. That's incredibly rare in Civ4, if you're not familiar with the combat system. Truly it was the undying spirit of the Cuban Isolationists that was responsible for this miraculous victory. We have a toehold on their continent now, and they shan't be disloding us anytime soon!

"You can't conquer an entire continent with nothing but a boat full of RIFLES!" I think you're about to find out otherwise, hehe. End the turn by rebasing aircraft into our new footholds. How glorious this turn was!

(8) 1974AD So apparently rushing a theatre does not allow you to expand borders in one turn, interesting. I'll have to remember that (whoops, there went 200g, sorry! Looks like another example of the patented "Charis colonial spending spree!" :lol: ) As a result, it will be one more turn before we can get our forces over to the Greek island. As far as the Incan front goes, we have to move everything in there by air, so it's much more difficult, at least for now. We need more cities to allow more reinforcing by air!

We can't really do too much this turn in Greece, since the units won't arrive until next turn. Over on the Inca continent, however, the action continues to be pretty hot. Here's what we can see after flying a recon mission:

So lots of SAMs and artillery walking around, as well as a number of fighters in their cities on intercept duty. I move our own jets into Anda and set them to intercept, hoping to shoot down some of their bombers on the next interturn. Before we can really strike at their cities here, however, we need to build up our own position a bit. (If the AI throws everything it has at us, we could be in trouble here! But with time to consolidate, we'll be dangerous.) First up, taking out the artillery sitting outside Anda:

I used our one precious airlift from last turn to fly in a Modern Armor from San Roberto, then promoted him with Combat III for all-purpose duty. Here that armor takes out the intruding artillery. No need to fear for Anda itself, since all those rifles from last turn became mechs this turn - it's safe.

We only get to ferry one unit into Anda via airlift, so it had better be a good one, right? What do I pick? A settler! :) No, really! There's a spot where we can found another city down in the ice at the bottom of the map, and with two cities we can fly in TWO units per turn, as well as rushbuy more units too. As we get more cities, more and more of our armies will be able to fly onto the Inca continent, "Berlin airflift"-style. It sounds crazy, but wait and see! :cool:

(9) 1975AD More stuff completing, borders expanding, etc. Down on the Inca front, we've manage to get all our stealths over the ocean to Anda and put them to good use:

Nasca should fall next turn (it will unfortunately be autorazed, but we can found another city in its place). The red dot is where our settler is heading to found another city - then we'll get two airlifts per turn over there. It's awful tough to supply everything via Berlin airlift, but we'll do it. We'll show Stalin - err, Huayna Capac - who's boss! :hammer:

On the Greek front, our heroic rifles, now mechs, lead the charge forward against the Greek colonies:

You've got to love those lasers coming out of the mechs! :D We can't take any cities over there this turn, but now that the bulk of the army has started to land, progress should pick up. Don't forget to ship over workers to build rails! (I've got a number of them on the way.) That more or less does it for the last turn.

Sullla said:
Victory! :hammer: The victorious soldiers are again promoted to mechs, and shall be immortalized forever in Cuban legend. In ALL FOUR rifleman battles this turn, we were behind in the odds, yet we won all of them.

D-E-S-T-I-N-Y :cooool:

And finally, some maps:

Picture of the Greek front. Yeah, there's no defenders in Thessalonica; I didn't realize that there was a gunship on one of the transports that could also attack, and as such I killed the last defender in the city with it. Oh well, you can just take it next turn. :D Also, look at the very top of the screen - in addition to the barb city, there's a Roman one up there too! We'll track down Caesar and make him pay for declaring war on us ages ago! :hammer:

Incan front. All units must be supplied by air, so it will be slow going at first, but once we get a few cities it should really pick up. There's another settler in Matanzas that can be flown in when you get a chance. I'd advise sending all new units to the Incan front, as the units left over from the Roman campaign should be enough to fight against Greece.

North Continent, almost entirely within our cultural borders now. The entire eastern hemisphere is Cuban now! :cool:

There's the victory conditions screen. Keep on pushing for domination! We're getting closer, just need to keep on putting the hurting on the other civs a bit more. Should be another entertaining set of turns, Sirian. You can also feel free to take your time since I'll be traveling for Thanksgiving on Wednesday. :)

Take my time? :eek: I'm halfway done playing already! :lol: And the save hasn't even arrived yet! :crazyeye:

You know, if I get my turn results up before morning, and the game has to SIT IDLE FOR A WEEK, I can't promise there won't be another "incident". :satan:

:lol:

- Sirian

Wow funny how weak Toku is going to be the last one standing (for the AI, that is ;) ).

Sullla said:
don't you have some solo game to take up your time anyway? :)

You mean like Epic One? :)

Pending the first installment of PRDC(TM). :hammer:

(That's "Post-Release Downloadable Content" for those keeping score.)

P-R-D-C!
P-R-D-C!

Please Release the Darned Code!

P-R-D-C!

for the Poor Run Down Civaholics.

P-R-D-C!

Placate Enraged and Desperate Customers.

P-R-D-C!

Pity the Ragged Downtrodden Citizens.

P-R-D-C!

Praetorians Ravage like Dogs of Combat.

P-R-D-C!

Patch Repairs Dysfunctional Computers.

P-R-D-C!

Please Relieve Dire Conundrum.

P-R-D-C!

"Post-Release Downloadable Content"
"Post-Release Downloadable Content"

:crazyeye:

CivAnon? :eek: I don't think so.

(Must have been a typo!)

Knock, Knock.

Who's There?

CivAnon.

CivAnon Who?

KEEP ON CIVVIN' ON! :rockon:

- Sirian

Sullla, you will just have to take a laptop (a really strong one) with you!

Btw, if you want to give Soren a bone (in the "Hell no, you can't have any of our cities" AI problem), offer that only cities that either A. have not been always controlled, B. have less than ### culture or C. have your state religion are the only cities that AI offer.

Wow. I am generally considered weird, as my antics at EB are... quite odd. But Sirian scares me... he makes me look almost normal!:twitch:

Thank you. :D

Don't get too used to any single behavior, though. Just when you think you've got me figured out, I've got you right where I want you. :lol:

(Insert relevant SunTzu quote here: _______________________ )

- Sirian

I don't know if I missed this in your previous posts, but couldn't you rush airports into your invasion cities? Then you can airlift in as many units as you want (well, one from each airport on the mainland) for even faster conquest.

The limit of one INCOMING airlift per turn only applies if there isn't an airport in the city, I believe. Of course, the limit of one OUTGOING airlift per turn per airport still applies.

Rabi

It's late, so maybe I'm seeing things, but it looks like to me Caesar WAS offering a city.... Maybe that one wasn't on annother continent though... I've never had cities even up for negotiation (white) before, so maybe it's just a situation where its teasing you?

Of course, maybe there is something I'm not seeing :confused:

Either way, its really funny that you won four battles IN A ROW when the odds were against you. I've had entire games where I don't think I've won 4 battles against the odds (not whit as much waring as in this game, but still...)

-Maniac

Edit: Yeah, its very late. I answered my own question by opening up a save. Aparently I've just never though of trying to extort a city for peace yet in civ 4, and was just thinking that they'd been red when I made peace.

It probably also tells you how little offensive waring I've done in the week or so since I got my new comp and started playing. I've been mainly working on the ecconomic/technological/city management stuff.

By appearing white, it sure makes you think that they'd be offering those cities, but it's just a tease afterall. :(

Hopefully this is someting addressed in the 2nd patch (as I doubit it will be in the first)

AFAIK in peacenegotiations you can ask for any city and tech (all in white) doesn't mean they will give it.

Besides I'm very happy that the AI doesn't part from Cities. I personally would never part from a City too. Money yes Tech yes but never a City.

Either you are strong enough to take it than you will take it anyway or you are not and then it would be foolish to give it up.
Besides it would be very exploitable if the AI gives up Cities only because you bombed his resources (which was all that happened to Inca or Greek before your Rifleman).

The victorious Rifles just show that a wounded Unit(from 20 down to 10) is far weaker than its strengh shows

Yeah, I was busy editing that when you were posting.

It shouldn't matter what strength a unit is at to the odds calculator right?? It should display correctly at any strength unless I'm missing something else (possible).

Edit: I don't agree that the AI should NEVER give up a city for peace. It should never give up a core city for peace, but a poor unveveloped tundra or one tile island city... I would consider giving up a city like that for peace if the situation were dire enough.

The fact that its only TEN turns of peace though complicates it a bit.

Final edit: I agree that it would be bad if the AI gave up cities for simply bombing off resources. On the other hand, they'd done considerably more than bomb resources to Rome. I'm not sure what kind of cities rome had left though. If they were good cities, then they shouldn't have given them up.

ToddMarshall said:
Yeah, I was busy editing that when you were posting.

It shouldn't matter what strength a unit is at to the odds calculator right?? It should display correctly at any strength unless I'm missing something else (possible).
As far as I understand it there is some underlying (invisible) Health (Hitpoints). So a fully healed str 10 Unit (ex. Knight) has 100 Health but a wounded str 20 Unit which has now only str 10 has only 50 Health. With each round a certain amount of damage is done is the health down to 0 the unit dies. Since he has less health the reduced str 20(now str 10) Unit is weaker than the fully healed str 10 Unit. The strength just being a sign how good the chances of the Unit are to win one round. If each round takes away 10 health from the loser the healthy unit only needs to win 5 times to kill the wounded one while the wounded needs to win 10 times to win the battle.

Caveat: Thats how i understand it so this can well be complete BS.

ToddMarshall said:
Edit: I don't agree that the AI should NEVER give up a city for peace. It should never give up a core city for peace, but a poor unveveloped tundra or one tile island city... I would consider giving up a city like that for peace if the situation were dire enough.

The fact that its only TEN turns of peace though complicates it a bit.

Final edit: I agree that it would be bad if the AI gave up cities for simply bombing off resources. On the other hand, they'd done considerably more than bomb resources to Rome. I'm not sure what kind of cities rome had left though. If they were good cities, then they shouldn't have given them up.
When they asked Rome at the last Screen he had just 2 Cities to choose . So (asuming the capital is not listed) they asked for 1/3rd of his remaining Empire.
Besides there is no such thing as a useless city in Civ4. Look at Black Dot the city Sulla deemed worthless to settle ;)

I for my part would not give up a City for peace not in SP and for sure not in MP.

Sullla/Sirian/All: Quick question

In Civ3, if you rushed an improvement/unit the turn you started building it, it cost a lot more than if you waited one turn (price dropped something like 50%, iirc). Is that still the case in Civ4?

Top Bottom