RBW4 - It's a scary world out there

Yes but even if there is some kind of resource (likely to be a calender resource) or a metal resource, you probably would've expanded enough to get it anyway.
I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. Please try to keep in mind the etiquette of a lurker. Too many comments (especially those which don't seem of much value) could be taken the wrong way. I really hope we don't have a new Swein Forkbeard on our hands.

Settling in place or 1N seems a real toss-up. Moving 1N, and joined by the warrior moving 1 NE, would reveal more of the map, but then we will see most of that information on settling anyway.

And the immediate path to hunting is attractive as the scouting is imperative.

Maybe I trust the map generator too much, but I think this is a great start.

I can see no reason to move away from a food resource, floodplain, hilly start, and into the fog. We have too many unrevealed tiles to the south to risk to move IMHO.

@TheLastOne - I have no idea what you're getting at. Whether or not we would eventually control all nearby resources, I see no reason to move the capital. There should be very little correlation between having a good capital and the surrounding land, since the game will edit the capital's location, without affecting the surrounding territory. Also, the capital is so important, I would way rather have an awesome capital and slightly worse other cities than the reverse.

Turn 0/460 (4000 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:28:31]
Beijing founded
Beijing begins: Worker (15 turns)
Research begun: Hunting (6 Turns)
Methos: I agree we should try Mutineer's plan, so we start on Hunting and a Worker.

IBT:

Turn 4/460 (3840 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:35:25]
Beijing's borders expand

IBT:

Turn 5/460 (3800 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:35:31]
Methos: Border expansion shows stone to our southwest and that were close to the ocean on the west. Looks like we still didn't get an inland start.
Tech learned: Hunting

IBT:

Turn 6/460 (3760 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:37:00]
Research begun: Bronze Working (15 Turns)
Methos: We start on Bronze Working, which will take 15 turns.
Beijing begins: Scout (8 turns)
Methos: Beijing switches to a Scout, which will take 8 turns.

IBT:
Contact made: Malinese Empire

Attitude Change: Mansa Musa(Mali) towards RBW-4b(China), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 7/460 (3720 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:39:26]
Methos: One of Mansa's Skirmisher's appears to the southwest of us. At least we have a good tech trading partner.

IBT:
Attitude Change: Mansa Musa(Mali) towards RBW-4b(China), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'

Turn 8/460 (3680 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:41:36]

IBT:
Attitude Change: Mansa Musa(Mali) towards RBW-4b(China), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 10/460 (3600 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:41:59]

IBT:
Contact made: Barbarian State
Attitude Change: Mansa Musa(Mali) towards RBW-4b(China), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'

Turn 11/460 (3560 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:42:24]
Methos: To move things a long, I'm going to play until BW is complete. That'll be turn 21. I hope everyone doesn't mind.

IBT:

Turn 12/460 (3520 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:43:01]
Methos: Bears appear to the NE near the goody hut.

IBT:

Turn 13/460 (3480 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:43:24]
Beijing finishes: Scout

IBT:
Buddhism founded in a distant land
Contact made: Aztec Empire

Attitude Change: Mansa Musa(Mali) towards Montezuma(Aztec), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'

Turn 14/460 (3440 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:43:29]
Methos: That can't be good with Monte nearby. Granted with our variants, maybe it is.
Methos: Someone founded Buddhism.
Methos: Bah, Monte's scout is in position to grab that goody hut!

IBT:

Turn 15/460 (3400 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:45:59]
Methos: and of course he did. I hope it wasn't a tech.

IBT:

Turn 17/460 (3320 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:46:43]
Methos: Haha, looks like we get this one Monte!!!
Tribal village results: scout

Methos: Excellent. We now have two scouts!

IBT:
State Religion Change: Montezuma(Aztec) from 'no State Religion' to 'Buddhism'

Turn 18/460 (3280 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:49:10]

IBT:

Turn 19/460 (3240 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:51:03]
Contact made: Ottoman Empire

Methos: Interesting. Mehmed is the one who founded Buddhism, yet it has already spread to Monte. I don't recall seeing that happen so early in the game before.
Beijing finishes: Worker

IBT:

Turn 20/460 (3200 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:55:16]
Beijing begins: Warrior (8 turns)
Tech learned: Bronze Working

IBT:

Turn 21/460 (3160 BC) [12-Jul-2007 12:57:33]
Research begun: Animal Husbandry (11 Turns)

Here's the 3160 BC Save.

I see no reason not to continue.

Monte to the east, did anybody come from the west?

I think our next towns should go SW (towards Stone) and SE (towards Gold) then up river (south) towards the Dyes.

Well, its definitely better than the last starting position. I think we should be able to do this. :)

I would MM capital for max grow, so it could use food avalible, revolted to Slavery now, turn scouts to explore near our capital north, other one south-east.
Produce warrior, then whipe settler.
About that time our scouts should explore everyhting near by.

We need to discuss location about 2 turns befor settler could be whiped, so we start to move warrior to border and save time.
We betetr choise most central landwize, most blocking other AI and best posible economic location. This would be very critical decision, so I advice next person play to this point.

Reserch wize I go animal hasbetry. Special at capital and it is good to know where hources are.
Keep one scout at that moment near capital, so he can help settler/warrior pair to move more safelly.

T0 3160BC - Our units still have movement :confused:; I revolt to Slavery

T2 3080BC - A hut provides our scout with experience :rolleyes:; our other scout defends against a lion

T8 2840BC - I MM Beijing to grow and finish the warrior together; begin the settler

T12 2720BC - Animal Husbandry is in and we have horses at the capital

I stop here for several reasons:

-Our scouts have scouted enough to decide the location of our second city
-We must decide which tech path to follow
-The settler is due in 10

SAVE

We have nice backfill spots but we need to focus on settling inland. The best spot would probably be the grassland tile 1E to that gold. It avoids grabbing too much desert. Unfortunately, we'd need a border pop before we can get the rice.

This time around, Mansa is probably the easiest to box in.

I'd go for the gold....

Now as for research, the western stone would give us a leg up up toward the Wall and the Pyramids, the GE from either one would be a big help, and building the Great Wall would have the side effect of pushing the barbarians into the enemy's face, so Mysticism(for the cheap border pushers), Masonry and The Wheel (for barb supression and resource connectivity) next while training the warrior and settler for the spot 1W of the stone.

I agree about east of gold second city. For thurd one we should consider
spot on river between stone/rixe/oasis at south east.

About micromanagment.
We working 2 food 1 prod forest ties, inrast of 4 production 1 gold mined hill, which is one option, or befor that 3 food 1 commerce pasture of floodplain tie.

There are 2 ways to produce fast settler, work all max productiion ties, or grow city to size 4 and whipe. By my estimation we lost about 5 turns by not maximising grow and grow to size 4 befor starting producing settler.

Our warrior outside our culture radius.:crazyeye:
research I agree with choise, well-pottery.

Top Bottom