Reading civ dvd shuts down pc.

BurN

Prince
As the thread title says. I've been playing civ 4 since vanilla and bought BTS when it came out and never had problems. Until the past week or two.

What happens is the following:

I start my pc and get to my desktop. So far so good. I enter the CIV4 disk and my reader starts to read. My pc crashes while my dvd rom is reading the disk. With crashing I mean my screen goes black and I get a "no signal" message.

When I press reset to restart my pc it starts loading windows, reads the disk and my pc crashes even before I can do anything. With other words I can't even start my pc with the CIV4 disk being in my dvd rom. wtf? :rolleyes: Something to note here is that sometimes it does read the disk without crashing, I have no idea why .. it's just random.

My first thought was some hardware malfunction with my dvd rom but after trying several other games/movies that doesn't seem to be the case, my dvd rom works fine. My pc shuts down ONLY with the CIV4 disk. I have no idea about what's causing it, CIV4 worked fine for years and now just ... hates my pc. :p Today I uninstalled everything which was obviously a bad move since now I can't reinstall because my pc crashes when reading the CIV4 disk. I knew this was a bad idea :lol: I should've just downloaded an img.

I doubt there's a solution except of buying a new copy and hope it actually works. But I'd like to ask here first because I'm just a poor uni student and buying another copy isn't something I can really afford atm. :blush: (Or well I could download an "illegal" copy. For as far as it can be illegal when I own the original dvd. :rolleyes:)

I'll send an email to 2K as well, though I'm going to guess it will involve looooots of waiting and in the end they will most likely just advise me to buy a new copy.

Thanks in advance, greets~

Top Bottom