Realism Invictus

The greatest AI stupidity is that it won't understand the defensive bonuses. In my last game, the enemy declared war on me and brought its forces next to my city in a forest area, which was quite alright. But then I brought my whole army in the city for defensive purposes, an attack to a forest square would be a suicide. In next turn, the AI didn't want to attack my city. (if he would attack, he maybe wouldn't be able to take the city in one turn, but it would cause more damage for me than the AI. AI was Armeina and he has very cool swordsman and axeman with attacking bonuses against cities and archers. But it is ok, I respect in AI's decision in this case.) Instead the AI decided to move his army to a hill square. And because I had many skirmishers, he has now 15% defensive MALUS. I attacked and easily defeated the all Armenian attackers.

I think the recon aid is too powerful, if AI won't be able to understand it. My proposal is to set hills attack bonus to a lower, so that the stack would still have a slight defensive bonus on the hills. It is very logical, who is on the higher ground, he would have the advantage.

I would also set the swamp's defensive bonus to something positive. The AI likes to bring its stack to swamp squares, where he is constantly slaughtered.

Why does AI stack move anyway, if he believes that attacking the city would be disadvantegous? He should simply fortify on the forest square and bind my army to the defence. Then he might try to bring reinforcements or send an other attacking stack to a less defended city.

I don't see where's the AI stupidity, i see it has not a bad behaviour many SVN ago... instead IMHO the AI has strange advantages that are making the game very unfair, if you don't play with a very easy level (which at the end it's completely boring, because the AI becomes overdue easily)

I'm just playing a 4494 game in only Noble difficulty, and I'm outraged by the strange combat results I see. Specially when AI attack cities. He stacks great amount of armies, and seems not be affected by any manteinance problems...::eek: But that's not the worst: Ai attacks cities without bothering in reduce defenses with siege units, and with CAVALRY and has a flanking bonus!!! :mad: and has excellent results. In case I do the same with my cavalry I'm slaughtered. So the Ai seems to completely ignore the city defense bonus... :cry:

Also, it's still the problem of resources, which I commented before, with an issue added: the AI seems to know where the resources are before appearing, because, as an example, it's constantly attacking a city from the beginning which has Iron very close BUT MANY YEARS BEFORE DISCOVERING IRON WORKING . And in all my previous games there's a lacking of bronze, iron, stone, horses... and the AI runs very fast to them, expanding too fast and getting them too early before I can't do anything...

Resuming, I'd like to see the resources rebalanced, the AI advantages revised, and (please) the flanking bonus don't be applied on cities, specially if it has the defenses intact. This last issue was suggested by me veeery long ago, because cavalry flanking bonus in a city it's completely absurd, but you did nothing about it :sad:

Oh, and the barbarian behaviour it's very amazing, I enjoy a lot. I don't mind to fight hard with barbarians, but I cannot stand fighting with AI unfair advantages at the same time. There's a limit between a challenging game and a stressing one, and sometimes (and i repeat I'm playing only in Noble level) i feel very dissapointed and overflowed.

Thanks and keep the good work :goodjob: (sorry if i write too much, but I'm just back to desktop from RI an I'm still a bit outraged :cry: )

It might be something to do with my game but on SVN v4494 the Bantu Forager is showing as a red blob shape on the map and in the civilopedia.

Hi,

I attach a image where appear a text bug in the merchant quest.

Congratulations for the mod!

Attachments

• quest_error.7z
    883.5 KB · Views: 54
I just downloaded the mods, looks really interesting as it seems much tighter than similar mods.

2 questions:

1. I can only access one leader when I use the actual world maps i.e Louis XIV for the French but nobobdy else.

2. How does the mod play with random worlds? (I just downloaded perfect world today as I read this is a good one to use with the mod)

TY.

I just downloaded the mods, looks really interesting as it seems much tighter than similar mods.

2 questions:

1. I can only access one leader when I use the actual world maps i.e Louis XIV for the French but nobobdy else.

2. How does the mod play with random worlds? (I just downloaded perfect world today as I read this is a good one to use with the mod)

TY.

Yes to both questions. PerfectWorld works quite well with RI.

Also, it's still the problem of resources, which I commented before, with an issue added: the AI seems to know where the resources are before appearing, because, as an example, it's constantly attacking a city from the beginning which has Iron very close BUT MANY YEARS BEFORE DISCOVERING IRON WORKING .

Although I agree with some things, you're exagerating a bit which does not help the cause. If RI AIs follow normal BTS rules then they do not know where a resource is before the unveiling tech (and why would the RI team change that?) . It was just a coincidence.

Although I agree with some things, you're exagerating a bit which does not help the cause. If RI AIs follow normal BTS rules then they do not know where a resource is before the unveiling tech (and why would the RI team change that?) . It was just a coincidence.

I don't say it's a RI issue nor I think they could change it purposely, but no doubt the AI has been changed to accommodate the new changes on RI, so the IMHO unfair things I've seen, so could be an strange unintentional bug.
Anyway, I`ll try another game because you could be right, but I'm very used to observe the Ai strategies, which are usually right, of attacking again and again vital resource cities, but this time I was surprised why it was obsessed on this city, and was absolutely frozen when i saw, after Iron working, why it was so...:eek: Strange coincidence but perhaps only that.:confused:

Anyway, most important for me it's the effect of cavalry on cities assault: shouldn't exist any flanking bonus on cities and the AI should have the same limitations as the player has.

Thx :goodjob:

Hi,

I attach a image where appear a text bug in the merchant quest.

Congratulations for the mod!

True :p
Fixed, revision 4495.

Is there anyway to involve some of the non-playable civilizations, such as the Dutch or the Israelis on a random map?

yes, go into the XML file (Civilizationinfos)and change <playable>0</playable> to 1
and/or <aiplayable>

I know you don't provide a date when the next version will be released but...are you folks close? It's been a couple of years since 3.1 was released and pretty sure a lot has been added, refined and fixed since then. :mischief:

After a few ugly defeate trying to play the huge world map with egyptian (too many ennemies too close >,<), i stopped civ for a while.
Trying it again with the new revision, on random map, and just wanted to say: i LOVE the music on the opening screen!
And you did a really good job improving the pedia and the interface in general ^_^

Barbarian are quite crazy now too, and playing on a huge map with 30civ, there is always 3-4 civ destroyed before the classical era. I suppose it is intended?
Could a barbarian city, left alone, evolve in a normal civ? Could be a way to replace the civ they destroyed at the beginning of the game, and populate a little the "new world" to recreate the "discovery of america" feeling :)

That will kinda work, but will have the same effect as on World Map - they won't be able to build additional cities.

Good enough, I can just give them a few in the world builder. Thanks. By the way, I've been playing this mod for about two years now and still love it. Hands down the best mod ever made (you sort of ruined all other mods for me in fact).

After a few ugly defeate trying to play the huge world map with egyptian (too many ennemies too close >,<), i stopped civ for a while.
Trying it again with the new revision, on random map, and just wanted to say: i LOVE the music on the opening screen!
And you did a really good job improving the pedia and the interface in general ^_^

Barbarian are quite crazy now too, and playing on a huge map with 30civ, there is always 3-4 civ destroyed before the classical era. I suppose it is intended?
Could a barbarian city, left alone, evolve in a normal civ? Could be a way to replace the civ they destroyed at the beginning of the game, and populate a little the "new world" to recreate the "discovery of america" feeling :)

Hello,

Barbarians are crazy !? No...:lol: It is intended. Barbarians are a real pain in early game. We also make them more "intelligent" as they can now stack and use the AID system.
In one word: don't let your cities under garrisoned !

Currently Barbarians can't evolve to a normal civ. It's a project that is still undone.

To replace a destroyed civ, you have to cheat and use the WB.

Hi All,

Some changes were made among the AID promo system. (revision 4496)
No more stupid bonus from Recon Aid.
Armored units now have their own AIDs.

Later, some other changes will be done.

Note: the buttons weren't added yet but the XML is fully functionnal.

Good game,

Yann

Next Question, do you know if either the MapView 2.0.9 utility or the Flag Switching Utility v. 1.1.3 work with this?

I just don't want to mess my game up royally and have to do a reinstall is all. Thanks.

Hello,

One question, I would like to try to play with a unit cost of maintaining higher than the present to try to reduce the number of global units. At an early age is not problematic, but later with "stacks" of 150 units, the stack system has been deprecated.
What should I change to achieve this? (i am playing with last svn)

Hi All,

Some changes were made among the AID promo system. (revision 4496)
No more stupid bonus from Recon Aid.
Armored units now have their own AIDs.

Later, some other changes will be done.

Note: the buttons weren't added yet but the XML is fully functionnal.

Good game,

Yann

Great! I was thinking about and perhaps some the effects of absurd results of AI combat with too many light cav units which I told about (AI worships light cav) were related to this stupid bonus. :goodjob:

But I'm again hoping that you'll supress the flanking bonus on cities attack :scan:

Thx ;)

Top Bottom