Realism Invictus

You mean the error message stays the same ?

I am no svn expert, but I thought that those checksums are stored inside those .svn directories that are contained in each subdirectory of a checkout.
So by removing a subdirectory (or its parent directory) this should have been just as good as making a new complete checkout.

For instance, if you rename the directory
D:\çívka\Beyond the Sword\Mods\realism\Assets\XML
into XML__ or something and try an svn update, what is the exact error message then ?

I've seen the new trait you've added, and the other changes that you have undertaken. Unfortunately, I am not really impressed with the changes, and I think you would also not be fully satisfied either. Since you have the ambition to rework the traits a bit, I'd like to share my thoughts about the traits. But my thoughts are bit too unorganized, I'll just go through my thinking process with you.

Introduction: I mainly have a problem with the Expansive trait, and it should definitely be reworked. The problem is for instance; a Legislator+Charismatic leader will be expand quite effectively and would benefit much from expanding, however a leader with Expansionist+Imperialistic wouldn't benefit from expansion at all.

Ok, so what kind of benefits could the Expansionist leader have?
a) Easier to acquire unclaimed territory: Faster Settler production - this is already the case.
b) Easy to explore new territory: Faster production of Scouts; fast moving and more durable scouts: Therefore the scouts might start with Woodsman I, Guerilla I, better Visibility and/or Speed.

By the way, I'd tweak the unit upgrade tree so that: Scout -> (Early Explorer) -> Explorer and Skirmisher -> Light Infantry, so that there is a clear distinction between scouts and fighting units.

c) Expansionist leader should benefit from having many small cities, overseas territories and colonies - whether this expansion is peaceful or not. Therefore, the maintenance costs from Distance to Palace and/or Number of Cities could be reduced, or the cities might provide initial resources which (something better than +1 :food:)

Ok, now let's have a look at other traits, which influence the expansion/military policies:

Imperialistic:

Impreialistic trait seems to be modeled after the Roman Empire's expansion policies. Shiny armies, magnificent monuments, glorious (military) leaders... And the current Imperialistic trait reflects those features well. I think the imperialistic trait is good enough but the new wonder production bonus is also fine, since it encourages you to build magnificent wonders in your magnificent empire. The problem with this trait is, that it does not really encourage you to go and invade new lands. I personally build those barracks, sit back and enjoy the early +1 happiness. I don't bother going and invading new territory and accept battles on my own lands to get the maximum out of the Great General bonus. Therefore, I have a few proposals:
a) +100% GG emergence outside cultural borders. This can be done by comibinig +100% GG emergence with -100% GG emergence in own territory.
b) Romans liked to enslave the people they defeated. Therefore, either higher chance of enslaving upon victory, or 2 Slaves are created instead of one. If you decide implement this, I would suggest you to deactivate +10% wonder production.
c) Units start with pacification. It resembles high motivation of fighting the barbarians (as Romans did) or colonizing the native people (as Europeans did in the Age of Exploration)

Seafaring:

This is exactly how the expansionist trait look like! Normally, I don't want to build too many cities from early on, but if I am seafaring, I don't mind building many coastal cities, since those cities immediately start to pay for themselves. This trait is good enough, it encourages you to build fleets, boosts the maritime trade, I don't have any suggestions.

Militaristic:

There can be two possible interpretations of militaristic:
a) People under this leader simply enjoy waging battles, fight courageously and spiritedly.
b) This leader puts emphasis on building large, well-equipped and/or well trained armies, and he uses them.

Point a) seems very close to the case of a charismatic leader, because in both cases the soldiers fight motivated. So, I assume that b) is the case for a militaristic leader. I further assume that the militaristic leader will simply build the most solid army possible and wouldn't be that interested in asymmetric warfare or hit and run tactics. Therefore, the charge mounted, melee, gunpowder and armored units should get the experience bonus, and not the recon and ranged mounted units. (it was already the case, right?).

Charismatic:

In my opinion charismatic is actually better than militaristic, because after level 4 or so the the charismatic units are better, and the XP-bonus of charismatic applies to all types of units. But it is difficult to find a balance between charismatic and militaristic. For now, I'd let it stay as it is.

Protective:

This is also good as it is.

---

Ok, and where does the Conqueror fits?

First of all, Conqueror can not be considered as a real trait. A leader becomes a conqueror, only if he conquers somewhere. Being a conqueror is a possible result of following expansive/imperialistic and militaristic policy. So I already dislike the idea to be honest.
Also, boosting the cavalry units won't help you much when conquering cities. If you insist on Conqueror as a trait, then I'd propose you giving City Raider to melee and gunpowder units, and leave the Charge Mounted unit bonuses to the Militaristic trait. Conqueror should also give siege units a bonus.

Guys, I cant update my SVN anymore, I keep getting error messages "unable to connect to a repository at URL"...I tried pretty much everything I know, I even made a new folder, but is still doesnt work. Any ideas?

Just FYI everyone, SVN is back online and you all can update again.

Since i cant update, i have to play the old version, right? And i was just browsing through the comments, many of them interesting suggestions, and i feel like making my own contribution (yet again! :). I find the idea of shortening the eras and that of faster research wrong. And the most important reason is that we have loads of units for every era and we dont have enough time to enjoy them. Even now i skip lots of units, simply because in 20-25 turns i can get a better one. So why all this effort to make new and interesting units if you cant use them in combat? In my opinion there is one fundamental problem with this game. Its very complex (and i love that) and takes a lot to get to the last eras. But by the time you get there, if you dont have a GIANT map, you have either destroyed all civs, or have been destroyed (which is more likely on immortal diff and above). And because I really love playing this game, more than any other game i can think of, i beg of you not to shorten the research time. Because if you really want to just have a taste of each era, you can chose a higher speed than the recommended one..

True that, we ultimately decided against lowering tech costs. OTOH, you could also choose a lower speed if you feel you don't get enough of each era.

BTW, military tech tree is in many places specifically designed in such a way to be able to beeline or postpone certain military advances. With that in mind, skipping certain units is almost guaranteed if your playstyle involves that. I know mine does, I prefer to get my military tech up-to-date in "bursts", unless I have a big conflict on my hands that keeps me trying to have best mil tech all the time.

hey, I am not able to update to last SVN
it wrote this:
Checksum mismatch for 'D:\çívka\Beyond the Sword\Mods\realism\Assets\XML\Text\Strategy3.xml':
expected: a6891ed00adf7925299b80b6fb516265
recorded: a0f1b569b9dbd86ecb75e10b63c0def1
Try a 'Cleanup'. If that doesn't work you need to do a fresh checkout.

I tried cleanup and checkout, nothin worked.
Any ideas?

/update of tortoise didnt help

Did it work before? If it did, try deleting the XML/Text folder and updating again. If this is your firest time trying to do an SVN check out, I don't really know how well SVN behaves with non-standard symbols in the file path.

I've seen the new trait you've added, and the other changes that you have undertaken. Unfortunately, I am not really impressed with the changes, and I think you would also not be fully satisfied either. Since you have the ambition to rework the traits a bit, I'd like to share my thoughts about the traits. But my thoughts are bit too unorganized, I'll just go through my thinking process with you.

---

Ok, and where does the Conqueror fits?

First of all, Conqueror can not be considered as a real trait. A leader becomes a conqueror, only if he conquers somewhere. Being a conqueror is a possible result of following expansive/imperialistic and militaristic policy. So I already dislike the idea to be honest.
Also, boosting the cavalry units won't help you much when conquering cities. If you insist on Conqueror as a trait, then I'd propose you giving City Raider to melee and gunpowder units, and leave the Charge Mounted unit bonuses to the Militaristic trait. Conqueror should also give siege units a bonus.

Neither is a leader born expansionist. Leader traits are assigned as a result of "lifetime achievement" assessment. Anyway, here is our spin on what various traits represent:

- Militaristic: a military reformer, or a guy who relies on the military to stay in power. May or may not conquer stuff outside his borders. Often such leaders, despite winning wars, didn't actually pursue expansionist agendas. Also, almost invariably, such reforms and such armies involved first and foremost drilled and professional infantry as the key element. Some good examples: Frederick the Great, Gustav II Adolf.

- Imperialistic: a leader that is chiefly concerned at placing his country among the great powers of the age, through military, cultural or other means. Once again, may or may not involve actual territorial expansion, and even if involves, these territories are more needed for prestige back home than for their inherent value. Good examples: Catherine the Great, again Gustav II Adolf.

- Expansionist: a leader who is concerned with expanding the territory, mainly through colonization and founding new cities. Large wars might not be a part of the plan, but extermination of natives or subjugation of significantly weaker neighbors might. These leaders are rarely known for great military victories, because they ideally fight only when odds are stacked for them already. Good examples: US president J. Polk, Charles V (and generally Spanish Habsburgs of the era).

- Conqueror: conquest of new territories seems to be the main driving force for these leaders. Often they are portrayed by historians as wishing to be remembered as great conquerors as their main motive. Interestingly, more often than not, they are known for fielding effective cavalry forces and/or making good use of combined arms. Great examples: Alexander the Great (note that while his phalanx was key to his victories, employing effective heavy cavalry with it was the real innovation that allowed him to dominate), Genghis Khan, William the Conqueror (currently not a leader in RI, but a good example nonetheless).

Hopefully, that clears things up a bit. And yes, some of your suggestions, like giving Conq leaders some kind of city attack advantage, sounds good to me. We will consider your suggestions.

We can't update or commit new stuff too. Something is bugging with Sourceforge.

A pity. You will have to wait to test the large amount of new leaders and the new trait. :D

I must have missed some thing. what is the new trait? and who are the new leaders for example, unless you're talking about graphic changes?

Edit: nevermind, I found the new trait. I almost never play "agressive" leaders as in high levels i just can't keep any city I'll conquer because of maintenance costs. I rarely wage any war outside my land before the MA

@ Walter Hawkwood:

Thanks for clarifying the differences between traits. It is now clearer to me what represents what, and there is no reason to disagree with your concept. In contrary, it is a nice thing to increase the number of traits and reflect nuances.

Yet i still have two concerns:

1. In my opinion, charismatic was as strong as the militaristic trait, if not stronger. Now, militaristic became even weaker. Also, if I were a militaristic leader, I'd like to have strong melee units, as well as strong cavalry. I mean, why not? :)

2. Let's assume, I am not a very experienced Civilization player, and I want to play an aggressive game. Then I look through the leaders and I find an Expansionist+Conqueror leader. I'd immediately think "Wow, this is a bad-ass leader, I want to play a game with that guy!" The truth is however, neither of those traits would really help you much. Yes, having better cavalry will give you an upper hand in many military conflict situations. Indeed, Conqueror trait is pretty cool. But it will not be particularly helpful in siege situations (Well, I actually use cavalry when assaulting cities, but for its collateral damage - I think you want to remove this feature in the future when attacking cities.). You are probably right when you say that Conqueror leaders used combined arms effectively, and I understand your decision to boost Conqueror leader's cavalry, yet still...

After updating to Rev 4915 I have the attached below xml error screens...

After loading RI, the BTS backscreen appears instead the RI one, and the texts are corrupted... :(

I never had this issue in previous RI SVN nor Civ4 games. I've tried deleting the BTS cache with no results. I have BTS updated to last version from years, and I have not added/deleted NOTHING new apart from updating RI, and searched in the forum with no result. Any ideas?? :confused::confused:

Attachments

• errorciv4text.jpg
    errorciv4text.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 113
  • errorciv4text2.jpg
    errorciv4text2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 81
First of all I would like to say that this is a great mod. I like its principles, new mechanics and the diversity of units and buildings. But there are some issues I want to discuss. I'm no historian so my thoughts are mostly superficial.

1) Early barbarians
Why are there so many bowmen compared to savages? A bow is more technological than a club, isn't it? Why do they appear so early? I have to prioritize woodworking almost all the time.
Why are there so few primitives? I rarely meet them at all. Weren't they the staple of early barbarian skirmishes? Why don't they have military bonuses? They have only 1 strengh after all.
Overall (raging) barbarians are well balanced because they keep me from expanding too fast and don't let me ignore my military. But computer opponents just slap cities one by one without support since barbarians can't take a city with 1-2 archers in it. It might be good to give savages some bonus versus archery units and spawn them in pairs.

2) Archery units
Why do archery units feel so well in forests and especially in jungles? Even if I can imagine a small group of archers that successfully ambush a small group of enemies passing by I can't imagine how would a relatively large group of archers defend against a throng of men with clubs in the forest.

3) Riverside cities
As far as I know significant cities of all times have been built on the banks of the rivers. In the game there are only two advantages: levee and two :health:. There are no economic advantages to place a city on a river. My suggestions:
-make fresh water bonus much more important and even critical for a city to grow;
-give the riverside city tile :commerce: for some techs and buildings.

4) Horses
Horses have been very important and powerful throughout human history. But the map generator places the resourse sparsely to say the least. Is it possible to introduce a national wonder with limited life time that would provide a civilization with horses? Requirements: great general, horseback riding and dynasticism techs. Will be removed from city after X turns (like propaganda tower).

5) Runaway civs
It's hard to expand early but with the help of military dedication, some techs and buildings it is possible to just expand and expand. I stop expanding when I acquire necessary resources and occupy critical locations. Computer opponents don't stop expanding. They go to war just to go to war. And the more cities they conquer the faster they expand. I suggest to confine the expansion rate by increasing the number of angry citizen by one per city in the civilization. Some techs and era switches, on the contrary, should decrease the number of such angry citizens. This will increase the importance of the culture slider which is almost always at zero (at least on my difficulty level) and thus will slow down the research rate without additional limitations.

6) Forests
When I start surrounded by forests I cry because I will be crushed by barbarians. They will not attack my forces that stand on forests, I won't attack them on forests. Barbarians will just walk around my territory, amassing but not attacking. To expand I'd have to build a lot of troops to kill them fortified in forests which is illogical. If a nation lives in woodlands any newcomers sould have problems not natives. I suggest to make a woodsman promotion make a unit invisible in forests or jungles.

@sazhdapec:

Regarding your point #6. First, I don't think invisibility works in a way that would help, rather it would hinder. I once blocked my coast with submarines, thinking any attacking civ would inadvertently stumble upon them, but the fleet just sailed over them. Only those units that can see invisible units will attack them upon entering the same square. (This, I think, is why (sea)mines were removed after 3.0 as unworkable.) The rest will just ignore them. In essence, invisible units can't really defend.

However, I'm sure you'll get over this problem as you keep playing. Try placing your units further out, in the edge of a forest near a route barbarians approach your cities. Then attack them as they pass through a possible non-forested square. (And hack away some forests if none exist.) If the barbarians happen to consist only of units with 1 move, have them enter a lucrative improvement square to pillage, and destroy them immediately before they pillage it -- this is btw why co-moving archer+primitive can be so vexing, fortunately it's rare. In case of a vast jungle... well, what do you care if barbarians roam in your jungle? There's almost nothing that they can pillage there until you're able to cut down jungles.

Overall point is: this early game dance everyone goes through with the barbs, you'll get better at it quite quickly. Proper promotions and unit placement can work miracles. These days, the more barbarians the merrier for me, because barbs = great generals + experience. :D

As for point #3, riverside cities, I've wondered sometimes if having aqueducts require fresh water might help?

As for point #5, yeah... this is the age-old question for the whole game series I think.

@sazhdapec:

Regarding your point #6. First, I don't think invisibility works in a way that would help, rather it would hinder. I once blocked my coast with submarines, thinking any attacking civ would inadvertently stumble upon them, but the fleet just sailed over them. Only those units that can see invisible units will attack them upon entering the same square. (This, I think, is why (sea)mines were removed after 3.0 as unworkable.) The rest will just ignore them. In essence, invisible units can't really defend.

However, I'm sure you'll get over this problem as you keep playing. Try placing your units further out, in the edge of a forest near a route barbarians approach your cities. Then attack them as they pass through a possible non-forested square. (And hack away some forests if none exist.) If the barbarians happen to consist only of units with 1 move, have them enter a lucrative improvement square to pillage, and destroy them immediately before they pillage it -- this is btw why co-moving archer+primitive can be so vexing, fortunately it's rare. In case of a vast jungle... well, what do you care if barbarians roam in your jungle? There's almost nothing that they can pillage there until you're able to cut down jungles.

Overall point is: this early game dance everyone goes through with the barbs, you'll get better at it quite quickly. Proper promotions and unit placement can work miracles. These days, the more barbarians the merrier for me, because barbs = great generals + experience. :D

Yeah, forgot about that side of invisibility.

I play 160x100 3 continents maps so placing units outside borders is useless: I can't control everything. And what about forest improvements like camp? If I leave a unit there I lose a lot of power. If I don't - a barb will immediately go there. And the main problem still exists: barbs don't fight. They just grow in numbers. But I can't take the initiative because it requires too much units to attack barbs on forests. Well, sometimes they're making a mini-stack and attack my city and die but I have to place units near their route so they can't, for example, go foresthill.

@ SR-71: You may delete the corrupted file and try to update the SVN again. It should work.

@sazhdapec:

1: If you play the higher difficulty, the rival civilizations start with archery. Barbarians have similar units to the most of the civilizations have, so they get archers much earlier than advanced melee units.

2: I don't know. I'm not sure about the forest's defensive bonus. Sure, being on the top of a hill should almost always give the defender an advantage, but forests are much double edged and the one who understands the forests better should get an advantage. Take this example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNqaWgWu3TQ

Here, a Roman Legion is tricked by a Gothic spy into the dark forests of Germania, where they are annihilated by the Goths.

Of course, the skirmishers negate the defensive bonus of forests most of the time, and the current system works fine. But, it would be nice to rework the forest's defensive bonus, if the developers want to do so.

3: I'd like to propose a building: Bridge. It becomes available with Civil Engineering and is built quicker with stones. It initially gives +1 :commerce:. But it might get additional :commerce: bonuses by buildings like caravan house, toll house, railway station, castle,...

The main problem is, AI does not prefer building cities on river sides (actually it should). If you give major benefits to river side cities, it will disrupt the game balance. So, you should be careful.

By the way, you can imagine that in the world map only the major rivers are shown not the smaller rivers. But if you look at the Earth, almost everywhere you would find plenty of fresh water supplies.

4: Interesting, but what if there is no horses in the continent? In this case, the civilization should not be able to build any mounted units. How do you want to implement it?

5: That's a very good idea. I think, this was the case in Civilization II; when the number of your cities exceeded a limit, citizens became discontent.

6: Here is the secret: If you leave only one unit in your city, the barbarians will almost always attack (and probably lose). So they will not be able to create huge stacks in your territory.

I agree that the Expansionnist trait could use a rework. In particular, i have a problem with the +1 movement for the settler. Usually, i have to escort my settler, as it is a bit risky in the wilderness. So they can move faster... but they are slow down by the escort. Sure, i could make some sort of "chain of escort-boyz" where the settler jump from one gard to another, but that seems weird.
A boost to scouts units, like cfeyyaz said, could be great.

@sazhdapec:

1: If you play the higher difficulty, the rival civilizations start with archery. Barbarians have similar units to the most of the civilizations have, so they get archers much earlier than advanced melee units.

2: I don't know. I'm not sure about the forest's defensive bonus. Sure, being on the top of a hill should almost always give the defender an advantage, but forests are much double edged and the one who understands the forests better should get an advantage. Take this example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNqaWgWu3TQ

Here, a Roman Legion is tricked by a Gothic spy into the dark forests of Germania, where they are annihilated by the Goths.

Of course, the skirmishers negate the defensive bonus of forests most of the time, and the current system works fine. But, it would be nice to rework the forest's defensive bonus, if the developers want to do so.

3: I'd like to propose a building: Bridge. It becomes available with Civil Engineering and is built quicker with stones. It initially gives +1 :commerce:. But it might get additional :commerce: bonuses by buildings like caravan house, toll house, railway station, castle,...

The main problem is, AI does not prefer building cities on river sides (actually it should). If you give major benefits to river side cities, it will disrupt the game balance. So, you should be careful.

By the way, you can imagine that in the world map only the major rivers are shown not the smaller rivers. But if you look at the Earth, almost everywhere you would find plenty of fresh water supplies.

4: Interesting, but what if there is no horses in the continent? In this case, the civilization should not be able to build any mounted units. How do you want to implement it?

5: That's a very good idea. I think, this was the case in Civilization II; when the number of your cities exceeded a limit, citizens became discontent.

6: Here is the secret: If you leave only one unit in your city, the barbarians will almost always attack (and probably lose). So they will not be able to create huge stacks in your territory.

1) OK, you gave an explanation. But the issue still exists: there are too many bowmen compared to other units which is probably not historically correct.

2) Still what about archery units?:)

3) The game mechanics wouldn't prohibit the city growth if the fresh water bonus was made more important. I'm just saying that I want to see real difference between regular cities and cities on major rivers.

4) We have the horseback riding technology that doesn't need horses to be researched so why not?

5) I can't say this will definitely resolve the runaway civs problem but I think something must be done in this matter.

6) I'll try to expand the set of my tactics)

Hey guys! First of all, a little public announcement. 45°38'N-13°47'E (should I just call you 45°? :)) has delivered upon us a merge of C2C graphical paging component. This should drastically reduce the number of MAFs people experience (if not cure them outright). Since I rarely if ever run into them myself, I would like to ask all the SVN users to update to the latest revision (4916), test and report back if they see a reduction of MAF levels - especially those of you who were getting lots of them before.

@ Walter Hawkwood:

Thanks for clarifying the differences between traits. It is now clearer to me what represents what, and there is no reason to disagree with your concept. In contrary, it is a nice thing to increase the number of traits and reflect nuances.

Yet i still have two concerns:

1. In my opinion, charismatic was as strong as the militaristic trait, if not stronger. Now, militaristic became even weaker. Also, if I were a militaristic leader, I'd like to have strong melee units, as well as strong cavalry. I mean, why not? :)

2. Let's assume, I am not a very experienced Civilization player, and I want to play an aggressive game. Then I look through the leaders and I find an Expansionist+Conqueror leader. I'd immediately think "Wow, this is a bad-ass leader, I want to play a game with that guy!" The truth is however, neither of those traits would really help you much. Yes, having better cavalry will give you an upper hand in many military conflict situations. Indeed, Conqueror trait is pretty cool. But it will not be particularly helpful in siege situations (Well, I actually use cavalry when assaulting cities, but for its collateral damage - I think you want to remove this feature in the future when attacking cities.). You are probably right when you say that Conqueror leaders used combined arms effectively, and I understand your decision to boost Conqueror leader's cavalry, yet still...

1) Yep, finding a good balance now will take some time and testing. Currently both Mil and Conq seem underpowered.

2) Once again, I guess buffing Conq somewhat would help. Probably a bonus to siege units or something.

After updating to Rev 4915 I have the attached below xml error screens...

After loading RI, the BTS backscreen appears instead the RI one, and the texts are corrupted... :(

I never had this issue in previous RI SVN nor Civ4 games. I've tried deleting the BTS cache with no results. I have BTS updated to last version from years, and I have not added/deleted NOTHING new apart from updating RI, and searched in the forum with no result. Any ideas?? :confused::confused:

This is not even an RI XML file that error is pointing at! It is one of vanilla XML files. Are you sure your Civ 4 copy is all right?

First of all I would like to say that this is a great mod. I like its principles, new mechanics and the diversity of units and buildings. But there are some issues I want to discuss. I'm no historian so my thoughts are mostly superficial.

1) Early barbarians
Why are there so many bowmen compared to savages? A bow is more technological than a club, isn't it? Why do they appear so early? I have to prioritize woodworking almost all the time.
Why are there so few primitives? I rarely meet them at all. Weren't they the staple of early barbarian skirmishes? Why don't they have military bonuses? They have only 1 strengh after all.
Overall (raging) barbarians are well balanced because they keep me from expanding too fast and don't let me ignore my military. But computer opponents just slap cities one by one without support since barbarians can't take a city with 1-2 archers in it. It might be good to give savages some bonus versus archery units and spawn them in pairs.

Others have already commented from gameplay point of view, but one could also argue that a hunter-gatherer tribe that harrasses your borders could reasonably be assumed to be an archer unit in Civ 4. Anyway, we are planning to overhaul barbarian units a bit in near future, and we could move a couple more of their early units to archery tech, so that they immediately spawn varied.

2) Archery units
Why do archery units feel so well in forests and especially in jungles? Even if I can imagine a small group of archers that successfully ambush a small group of enemies passing by I can't imagine how would a relatively large group of archers defend against a throng of men with clubs in the forest.

Remember who an archer in ancient world is - someone who likely uses a bow for his living in peacetime. A hunter, or at least a peasant supplementing his diet with game. These people feel right at home in woods. Moreover, a bow is an ideal weapon for ambushing, and a dense forest is an ideal terrain for ambushing - not just once, but systematically, via hit-and-run guerrilla tactics.

Anyway, the question of scale is the bane of Civ series. I prefer to think of it as variable - in ancient era, a unit represents a body of no more than 1000 men. Such a unit can be reasonably expected to just dissolve in a territory that is one Civ 4 tile.

3) Riverside cities
As far as I know significant cities of all times have been built on the banks of the rivers. In the game there are only two advantages: levee and two :health:. There are no economic advantages to place a city on a river. My suggestions:
-make fresh water bonus much more important and even critical for a city to grow;
-give the riverside city tile :commerce: for some techs and buildings.

You are forgetting an important factor - some terrains and improvements get additional bonuses from rivers. Overall, a city by a river is already a much better deal.

4) Horses
Horses have been very important and powerful throughout human history. But the map generator places the resourse sparsely to say the least. Is it possible to introduce a national wonder with limited life time that would provide a civilization with horses? Requirements: great general, horseback riding and dynasticism techs. Will be removed from city after X turns (like propaganda tower).

Sparsely indeed, and it is by design. Horses should be one of the most important early resources. One can certainly do without cavalry, but horses are something worth fighting for. Remember also that later cavalry stops needing horses - by the time in tech tree it is reasonable to assume that one can get enough horses off "world market". Note that a horse resource is not just any horses - it's horses suitable for war purposes. They were not so commonplace in ancient world; for example, most of Europe didn't have good warhorses till mid Medieval era. So, to sum it up, horses are sparse by design. One thing we might do is to give civs ability to breed horses when they already HAVE horses, so that eventually there are enough for everyone (if you have good neighbors with horses to trade).

5) Runaway civs
It's hard to expand early but with the help of military dedication, some techs and buildings it is possible to just expand and expand. I stop expanding when I acquire necessary resources and occupy critical locations. Computer opponents don't stop expanding. They go to war just to go to war. And the more cities they conquer the faster they expand. I suggest to confine the expansion rate by increasing the number of angry citizen by one per city in the civilization. Some techs and era switches, on the contrary, should decrease the number of such angry citizens. This will increase the importance of the culture slider which is almost always at zero (at least on my difficulty level) and thus will slow down the research rate without additional limitations.

We are extremely aware of the problem and are trying our best to fix it.

6) Forests
When I start surrounded by forests I cry because I will be crushed by barbarians. They will not attack my forces that stand on forests, I won't attack them on forests. Barbarians will just walk around my territory, amassing but not attacking. To expand I'd have to build a lot of troops to kill them fortified in forests which is illogical. If a nation lives in woodlands any newcomers sould have problems not natives. I suggest to make a woodsman promotion make a unit invisible in forests or jungles.

Others seem to have given you some pretty reasonable feedback on that.

I agree that the Expansionnist trait could use a rework. In particular, i have a problem with the +1 movement for the settler. Usually, i have to escort my settler, as it is a bit risky in the wilderness. So they can move faster... but they are slow down by the escort. Sure, i could make some sort of "chain of escort-boyz" where the settler jump from one gard to another, but that seems weird.
A boost to scouts units, like cfeyyaz said, could be great.

I actually find 3-move settler pretty useful - one can certainly use them unescorted if one is careful, because a 3-move settler almost always has one move to run away after moving to a tile, even when it's forest or hills. But buffing scout units for expansive leaders is also a reasonable suggestion.

As i was up early, i did a little test of the latest SVN. I did encounter a little problem.
Launching the huge world map scenario, i started with only a plain terrain with no feature (i had desert and ocean tiles, but no horse, cattle, river or scrub where they usually are near Egypt's starting location). My city didn't appears when i constructed it, and my units disappears as soon as i fortified them.

It was clearly just a graphical bug, as i could still move citizen in the city screen and the production did change according to the ressource the tile used to have.

After a few minute, two tiles of rivers did appears. I tried to move the screen to go to the black fog of war and back, to see if it change, but it only lead to crashing the game.

I started again, same stuff. Went back to main menu without moving this time, and started a duel size normal mal. This one works perfectly. Started a giant one next. This one did have a few seconds before making the rivers/ressources appears. Then i started again a huge world map, and this one did have ressource, rivers and so on.

So my guess is that the game take more time now to load graphical feature. Could be a bit anticlimatix to have to create a duel map each time i want to play your mod, before i'm able to go back to my real game :/

Hope this feedback helps, keep up the good work ^_^

Edit : just realised that i no longer have the berber encountered by default when starting my game as egyptian. You guys are really the best :D :D :D

Thank you much!

edit: Not sure if this got posted but someone did an LP http://gloryofrome.tumblr.com/

Also, I made a signature so others like me will know how to get into the SVN.

edit2: I got a Memory Allocation Error on turn 1... odd. My computer is well above what should be needed. Back to the official release, heh.

Top Bottom