• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Realism Invictus

I've tried them all, unfortunately for my personal taste, 3.6 is easy, I understand that for many who started playing from 3.6, it may not make a difference, but because I've been playing this mod for years, 3.4. is a more compelling challenge, both because the A.I. it is more aggressive, both because the vassal states are a real resource, and because the AI dedicates more resources to technology, and the spies vary in sabotage using all the options this is my gaming experience.

I created this mega map that I use in my games, for patch 3.6 and now I'm transferring it to 3.4, it's a gigantic map of 44196 tiles, wid 340 height 127, it took me 6 months of hard work, in the scenario there are 65 factions, and I tested it for 1200 turns, so it has no bugs. to make you understand the scale, Europe is as large as the Europe of the Europe of R.I. scenario,consider that from Spain to America there are 70 ocean tiles approximately,
after about 1000 turns the save file is about 8kb
for the resources I also based myself on the R.I. scenarios, but it is very balanced. When it's ready, if anyone wants, I can link it on the forum. the only unreal thing is that I had to create a passage in Africa to allow Asian populations to arrive in America. it is very accurate for both rivers, lakes and mountains, obviously I had to adapt a few small things.
I wanted to thank the forum, because I got ideas from various downloadable maps and scenarios, the map was made by hand, with the worder builder, I wanted to insert some navigable rivers, but I had to modify the c++, then I decided that it wouldn't be worth the effort.Attached is an example of the territories it covers.I was inserting the navigable channels, but I can't save the changes with visual c++, it gives me a lot of errors, I think it's due to the makefile

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-02 155419.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-02 155419.png
    247 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I created this mega map that I use in my games, for patch 3.6 and now I'm transferring it to 3.4, it's a gigantic map of 44196 tiles, wid 340 height 127, it took me 6 months of hard work, in the scenario there are 65 factions, and I tested it for 1200 turns, so it has no bugs. to make you understand the scale, Europe is as large as the Europe of the Europe of R.I. scenario,consider that from Spain to America there are 70 ocean tiles approximately,
after about 1000 turns the save file is about 8kb
for the resources I also based myself on the R.I. scenarios, but it is very balanced. When it's ready, if anyone wants, I can link it on the forum. the only unreal thing is that I had to create a passage in Africa to allow Asian populations to arrive in America. it is very accurate for both rivers, lakes and mountains, obviously I had to adapt a few small things.
I wanted to thank the forum, because I got ideas from various downloadable maps and scenarios, the map was made by hand, with the worder builder, I wanted to insert some navigable rivers, but I had to modify the c++, then I decided that it wouldn't be worth the effort.Attached is an example of the territories it covers.I was inserting the navigable channels, but I can't save the changes with visual c++, it gives me a lot of errors, I think it's due to the makefile
neat where i can find this map?

neat where i can find this map?
map ready, I just have to insert if I can, the Suez and Panama Canal, and a warmhole that will allow you to get to Panama from the Pacific, and I'll link it, even if I would like it to be included in a next release of Realism Invictus, obviously it should be perfected, because for occupy huge territories I had to insert two Mongolias, all the eastern civilizations, Taiwan, North China, South China,

Hi, I wanted to know how the colonies work, from what I know, the civilizations that are given freedom become one of the derivative civilizations, but the A.I. do you use this possibility? and what advantage is there in giving freedom to the colonies? lastly where can I find the file for this mechanic. Thank you

Hi, I wanted to know how the colonies work, from what I know, the civilizations that are given freedom become one of the derivative civilizations, but the A.I. do you use this possibility? and what advantage is there in giving freedom to the colonies? lastly where can I find the file for this mechanic. Thank you
I believe the idea was that in a sprawling late game empire, the maintenance costs of poorly developed far off cities outweighs their utility so if facing an economic crunch, you can resolve this by "granting independence". I can also see how this might work in an emergency situation where separatism was out of control in a conquered province. I really think it's kind of a silly mechanic however.

In gameplay terms, the liberated cities become your vassal with a massive happiness bonus, so much so that they are unlikely to ever want true independence. However, giving up direct control of your empire has very little appeal to me outside of very niche situations where I'm going for a specific victory like conquest on a huge map and turns are dragging on too long. From a historical perspective it also feels clunky... how many colonies were dramatically liberated without a war for independence, and yet still stayed loyal to their overlords and didn't pursue a more localized agenda instead? Is there any precedent for this model at all?

I have no experience modding this mechanic so I can't help you there.

how many colonies were dramatically liberated without a war for independence, and yet still stayed loyal to their overlords and didn't pursue a more localized agenda instead? Is there any precedent for this model at all?

Hong Kong? The British turned it over to China, who kept it as an economic free zone until a few years ago when they cracked down on it.

Regarding the trees post earlier, that makes sense, but it was just a small visual suggestion. Another problem that one would have is standardizing the tree type, since the coniferous and deciduous forests appear different in-game, so that putting them graphically into the improvement model wouldn't be able to make this distinction when one is building on plains or grassland. However, the tree lines on mechanized farms might more naturally appear at the edges of the fields, since the farm building itself is already scaled up relative to the field sizes and there is already a rather large gap of plain grass around the perimeter of the tile, which would make it look more like a cohesive, individual farm rather than a huge tract of farmed arable land, and less splotchy in filling up the grass surrounding it.

I am also slightly embarrassed to have been mistaken about the name of Al-Khwarizmi and even second-guessed it when I wrote it, but glad to have learned otherwise. In light of that explanation, the name "Algebra and Geometry" makes good sense. Once again there is a compelling and thoughtful reason behind the nomenclature in-game.

Hong Kong? The British turned it over to China, who kept it as an economic free zone until a few years ago when they cracked down on it.

Patiently awaiting Walter's erudite comment on this. :lol:

It does seem like a good example, albeit I don't know much surrounding it and have a feeling it was a reluctant and controversial choice.

I have to praise the AI's warfare. After the Korean invaded me on my island, he was the only city to take my prod city and used it as a bridgehead for supplying units. From there he then launched raids into my country. In vanilla, I would have stopped at that point and started a new game. But waging war was so much fun because he kept sending new units and the attacks varied. In vanilla it would have been over after one big attack. I was able to repel the third wave of attacks with few losses and then recapture my city.
The only thing that made me suspicious was that there were no further attacks on other cities from the ships. To get to the prod city, his fully loaded ships sailed past my weakly defended capital

Just curious, but how do you grant independence to colonies, other than when the annoying pop-up appears saying a city wants it? Can you grant independence to multiple cities at once, so they effectively become an independent nation, or do you just grant one city indpendence and then just give the extra cities to the newly freed one?

TBH, I've never understood how colonies work, even in regular BtS.

Just curious, but how do you grant independence to colonies, other than when the annoying pop-up appears saying a city wants it? Can you grant independence to multiple cities at once, so they effectively become an independent nation, or do you just grant one city indpendence and then just give the extra cities to the newly freed one?

TBH, I've never understood how colonies work, even in regular BtS.
You can definitely grant independence to multiple cities at once. It's been a while but I believe a new option appears in the domestic advisor screen once you meet the requirements. In fact I would recommend against gifting cities to any vassal as that can mess with the "breaks free at x%" mechanic.

I've not found a RI tech tree anywhere, so I made one.

How many times I've wanted to study it away from the game and not been able to! Thank you so much. :)

It's really complex and interconnected so even after a couple of years of solid play I still need to refer to it regularly and am far from having it generally memorized.

One thing I was always missing is some sort of online Civilopedia for RI so I can enjoy reading it without opening the game - it's probably not that hard to generate it based on XMLs but I wish I had more time to do it myself, maybe one day...

just started playing RI and so far it is great.
I notice the terrain graphics are dark , "muddy" and just hard to see.
i was playing AND previously and the graphics were great. Any thing i can do in my settings or with a mod to make it better?

just started playing RI and so far it is great.
I notice the terrain graphics are dark , "muddy" and just hard to see.
i was playing AND previously and the graphics were great. Any thing i can do in my settings or with a mod to make it better?
Is AND another mod? I'm not familiar with the acronym (if it was one).

I find that playing with the resource callouts turned on helps, certain things like potatoes are very easy to miss if you're not careful. Walter has done a good job making the icons small and obtrusive compared to normal civ so they don't ruin the map. I've also noticed that playing with the square grid turned on brightens some types of terrain; I'm honestly not sure if that is a feature or a bug. Finally, IIRC there's an option in the RI installer to not include terrain textures if you just can't get used to it.

I had some time this afternoon and digged deep into the tech .XML.

Here you go, a RI 3.6 Flowchart

and the same data split into each Era

If anyone wants the .SVG, I can provide. Probably gonna make a small repo for source code, too.

I had some time this afternoon and digged deep into the tech .XML.

Here you go, a RI 3.6 Flowchart

and the same data split into each Era

If anyone wants the .SVG, I can provide. Probably gonna make a small repo for source code, too.

This is incredible! Thank you so much. Even in game, the tightly interconnected tree is hard to see clear tech paths in. Amazing reference.

Please enjoy this virtual beer, you deserve it! 😁🍺

I've won three of the last four RI games I've completed at standard difficulty levels. I'm thinking of increasing difficulty after my current game, depending on how I do. (It usually takes me several weeks before I actually finish.) But I was wondering....when the AI plays to win, does it still aggresively raze cities as some have reported, or has that been changed? I mean, I get that the AI finds it an effective strategy but wiping cities completely off the map is a historical oddity, especially in late game years.

Top Bottom