Realism Invictus

No, they are working as intended. Were they "corrupted" you'd get nothing or a full map of featureless plains. Python files don't work the way you seem to imagine them - if they throw an error, that usually halts the whole process.

No, they are working as intended. Were they "corrupted" you'd get nothing or a full map of featureless plains. Python files don't work the way you seem to imagine them - if they throw an error, that usually halts the whole process.
Well, that sucks. Are there older versions of the map generator I could get my hands on? Maps with unrealistic weather tiles are just no fun to play.

Well, that sucks. Are there older versions of the map generator I could get my hands on? Maps with unrealistic weather tiles are just no fun to play.
Hold your horses, mate.

Here are some examples for you

Spoiler screens :

Totestra - climate-cold

civTotestra-cold.jpg

Totestra Climate-temperate

civTotestra-temperate.jpg

Totestra Climate-temperate (same map as above) jungle region

civTotestra-temperatejungle.jpg

Planet Generator: Climate variation - Drastic, Temperature - Normal
civPlanetgenerator-drasticnormal.jpg

PerfectMongoose default settings
civPerfectMongoose-tundra.jpg

PerfectMongoose - jungle region same map
civPerfectMongoose-jungle.jpg

I'd say to achieve better result with Planet Generator try climate variation - drastic. Totestra - if you want more consistent tundra and polar biomes - try cold climate. PerfectMongoose generator is alright by default

Hi all.

I am looking into trying this extensive mod after not having played CivIV for a long time. I have installed it and read a bit in its manual and this thread. I have a few questions before I start diving into it.

1) The original game has unique buildings per civilization which revert to a standard building (or the unique building of your civilization) when you capture a city with such a building. This mod has both unique buildings and unique terrain improvements and limited buildings (version of the original game national wonders). What happens when you capture them? Especially with the unique terrain improvements. Those are not directly captured as they are not in s city, just in the culture region of a city. Do these change depending on the dominant culture on the tile?

2) I have read something about the game hanging after playing for a while in the AI turn. That seems like a bit of a nightmare scenario after having played a long game. How often does it happen? Can it be avoided? What can you do about it if it happens? Is one of the modmakers looking into it?

3) I recall having used the Better Bat AI Mod with the game before as it held many conveniences and AI improvements. And I know that many of the features of that mod got implemented in other mods. Is that also the case with Realism Invictus?

4) I am thinking about leaving the revolution setting switched off. I have read that the AI is not so great in dealing with the revolution part. And I myself also like to keep some control over my civilization. I do like some challenges and problems along the way, but it shouldn't become too random. Any views on this revolution part?

5) I don't want the barbarians to settle cities. I recall that I changed something in a file to stop that from happening. If anyone knows. I also stopped global warming from making the planet into a desert. Maybe it was the same file. If anyone knows, then it saves me some time looking around. 🙂

6) I liked to play at epic speed, but looking at the start, it seems that a settler is far more expensive in this game at normal speed than it was in the original at epic speed. Are you supposed to expand slower?

7) Any reason to play with the setting that punishes you for getting ahead of history? It feels a bit weird to be held back by a year value in the real world.

8) I looked at the map size modifiers and the percentages for things like distance from capital went up. I hope that doesn't mean that on a large map, you get larger penalties at the same distance from the capital. Maybe it is a divisor? None of the other parameters seem to be.

9) Any map settings that people advise with this mod? I used to play on the larger maps, but not so often the largest.

Thanks for any feedback.

I don't want the barbarians to settle cities. I recall that I changed something in a file to stop that from happening. If anyone knows. I also stopped global warming from making the planet into a desert. Maybe it was the same file. If anyone knows, then it saves me some time looking around. 🙂
Take a look at my post on page 487, dated Jul 12, 2023.

Any reason to play with the setting that punishes you for getting ahead of history? It feels a bit weird to be held back by a year value in the real world.
There surely is. It's not "fun" to see airplanes and battleships when the game-year is 'round 1000 AD. At least that's how I and many others here feel. Before this feature was made, I had to change the <icost> up (and a few times down) to get what I wanted. This "task" was both difficult and took a long time each time a new version/update came out. Now I can have my focus on what I really want to change in the tech-tree and leave the general ajustments I want to a few simple changes in CIV4EraInfos.xml file.

Hi all.

I am looking into trying this extensive mod after not having played CivIV for a long time. I have installed it and read a bit in its manual and this thread. I have a few questions before I start diving into it.

1) The original game has unique buildings per civilization which revert to a standard building (or the unique building of your civilization) when you capture a city with such a building. This mod has both unique buildings and unique terrain improvements and limited buildings (version of the original game national wonders). What happens when you capture them? Especially with the unique terrain improvements. Those are not directly captured as they are not in s city, just in the culture region of a city. Do these change depending on the dominant culture on the tile?

2) I have read something about the game hanging after playing for a while in the AI turn. That seems like a bit of a nightmare scenario after having played a long game. How often does it happen? Can it be avoided? What can you do about it if it happens? Is one of the modmakers looking into it?

3) I recall having used the Better Bat AI Mod with the game before as it held many conveniences and AI improvements. And I know that many of the features of that mod got implemented in other mods. Is that also the case with Realism Invictus?

4) I am thinking about leaving the revolution setting switched off. I have read that the AI is not so great in dealing with the revolution part. And I myself also like to keep some control over my civilization. I do like some challenges and problems along the way, but it shouldn't become too random. Any views on this revolution part?

5) I don't want the barbarians to settle cities. I recall that I changed something in a file to stop that from happening. If anyone knows. I also stopped global warming from making the planet into a desert. Maybe it was the same file. If anyone knows, then it saves me some time looking around. 🙂

6) I liked to play at epic speed, but looking at the start, it seems that a settler is far more expensive in this game at normal speed than it was in the original at epic speed. Are you supposed to expand slower?

7) Any reason to play with the setting that punishes you for getting ahead of history? It feels a bit weird to be held back by a year value in the real world.

8) I looked at the map size modifiers and the percentages for things like distance from capital went up. I hope that doesn't mean that on a large map, you get larger penalties at the same distance from the capital. Maybe it is a divisor? None of the other parameters seem to be.

9) Any map settings that people advise with this mod? I used to play on the larger maps, but not so often the largest.

Thanks for any feedback.

Hey there, dedicated hundreds of hours into this amazing mod already. So maybe my opinion will be helpful.

1) Unique terrain improvements of other civs remain and you can use them until they get destroyed. But I believe some of hem will stop "developing" into better forms if they are not your civ (for example scandinavian fishing fleet has three tiers, so does transoxanian improvement). I didnt really pay attention to unique city iunprovements (duh) but I suspect they work too. Correct me if I am wrong on that one.

2) happened to me something like 3 times in span of 35-40 full games. So its not too often, every time I managed to work around it. You can use prior autosave and declare some war on suspect civ that bugs its turn, not the best way of course but worked always to solve the issue and keep playing.

3) No idea

4) I prefer keeping revolutions on, its more interesting that way. Besides I almost never saw AI reall get hurt by it, unless you actively and seriously work in that direction. the mechanic itself is very intersting manageable and feels realistic you have to take separatism into account, use some troops to pacify problematic regions and use civics that help with separatism if you're running a big empire. Cant imagine playing without it anymore. Prolonged all-out late wars can break part of your or AI empire wich is cool.

5) Global warming never happened to me in this mod, not once. Even after 30 nukes on a small map. But I really advise you to keep barb cities on. There are two ways to deal with it in a more interesting way. First add 3 ai civs to usual number of your civs on the map, that will make less space for barbs to settle. Second leave the option for barbarians to create their own civ, its much more intersting this way. Imagine meeting some backward barbarian city or two on the edge of the continent, and around middle ages they become some Taiwan or Lithuania, lots of fun.

6) Use default "realistic" speed for the first time its quite slow you'll feel comfortable and get the feel if you need to slow it down more.

7) That setting helps civs to stay more grouped in terms of tech advancement. of course you'll see some falling behind miserably but you wont find yourself with some weird stuff like isolated island AI nation entering modern age wile the whole world is somewhere in early industrial.

8) Not sure

9) Dont use the biggest possible map its a waste of time in my opinion, try standard to get a hang of mechanics and how it all workd for you. I personally play small and standard maps with 3 additional ai civs above standard number. Reason is to see some classic and ancient war. So these pretty little units won't go to waste)

Is there a way to disable the unit cost scaling by spies?
The cost is now by +250% and a spy takes 15 rounds. That makes it hard to infiltrate other civs effective.

Thanks for the feedback TheBirdMan!
Take a look at my post on page 487, dated Jul 12, 2023.
Thanks. That seems simple enough!

There surely is. It's not "fun" to see airplanes and battleships when the game-year is 'round 1000 AD. At least that's how I and many others here feel. Before this feature was made, I had to change the <icost> up (and a few times down) to get what I wanted. This "task" was both difficult and took a long time each time a new version/update came out. Now I can have my focus on what I really want to change in the tech-tree and leave the general ajustments I want to a few simple changes in CIV4EraInfos.xml file.
I would also like my empire and the AI empires in a typical game to progress approximately according to the speed of progress of the real world history. Not so much because I value the year count so much, but mostly because I would like to enjoy certain eras of history for a decent number of turns and not skip over them in a flash. Likewise, I wouldn't want it to take a much longer time than in real history, where for instance writing would be invented in 1000AD.

On the other hand, if I or an AI were dealt a perfect hand and every decision worked out perfectly (great area to settle, lots of resources, conquer a civilization early or settle a more than decent ares, get lots of open borders for faster technology sharing, lots of World Wonders build in a powerhouse city with the perfect resources to quickly build the wonders, etc.), then I wouldn't mind being ahead a bit of real life history. And if I or an AI were isolated on a tiny island, then I wouldn't mind being hopelessly behind on real life history. That would also make sense. I gather that only the being ahead is punished and the being behind not really compensated. Except maybe via the open borders sharing of technology if the the empire that is technologically behind can get open borders.

Is the mod not balanced for a good technological pace in a typical game without the 'ahead of time penalty'? I understand that it may not be so easy to balance the technological progress very well in an ever changing mod as it requires a lot of game testing. But for instance, the increased cost of research with the number of cities would already make it a bit easier to balance the game as a civilization being very successful in early conquest may not necessarily be doing very well in research. So that kind of development in a game doesn't mess up the technological progress of the world that much.

Thank you for all the feedback trashmunster! It is much appreciated.
2) happened to me something like 3 times in span of 35-40 full games. So its not too often, every time I managed to work around it. You can use prior autosave and declare some war on suspect civ that bugs its turn, not the best way of course but worked always to solve the issue and keep playing.
It is good to heard that this issue doesn't pop up that often and that you managed to work around it every time. But it is not clear to me why the declaration of a war a few turns before the issue popped up would remedy the situation. Neither is it clear how you identified the culprit. How did you guess what civilization was causing the problem and why did you try declaring war on them. Is there something known about the nature of the hanging game issue that would make this a logical course of action on your end?

4) I prefer keeping revolutions on, its more interesting that way. Besides I almost never saw AI reall get hurt by it, unless you actively and seriously work in that direction. the mechanic itself is very intersting manageable and feels realistic you have to take separatism into account, use some troops to pacify problematic regions and use civics that help with separatism if you're running a big empire. Cant imagine playing without it anymore. Prolonged all-out late wars can break part of your or AI empire wich is cool.
Thanks for the feedback. I may try it in a later game. Is there always a way to stop a revolution if you are willing to invest enough resources and recognize the problem on time?

Not saying that stopping the revolution may always be the most cost effective way to handle it. But I am just wondering if you have the tools to stop it.

5) Global warming never happened to me in this mod, not once. Even after 30 nukes on a small map. But I really advise you to keep barb cities on. There are two ways to deal with it in a more interesting way. First add 3 ai civs to usual number of your civs on the map, that will make less space for barbs to settle. Second leave the option for barbarians to create their own civ, its much more intersting this way. Imagine meeting some backward barbarian city or two on the edge of the continent, and around middle ages they become some Taiwan or Lithuania, lots of fun.
I agree that the settling of barbs into a real civ does sound fun. But I really disliked how in the normal game, settled barbs would mess up the spot where you can build your cities. You'd get these half usable sections of land left over. That is especially annoying in a mod where inefficient cities slow down your technological progress. And I play without city razing, so I can't remove the badly place barb city.

I was looking at the xml files and it seems that there are a lot more parameters involved in global warming in this mod. But it also seemed a bit contradictory. I will elaborate in my next post.

6) Use default "realistic" speed for the first time its quite slow you'll feel comfortable and get the feel if you need to slow it down more.
What I meant is that the cost of building a settler at the 'realistic' speed was already higher than the cost of building a settler in the regular game at epic speed. Are you supposed to expand slower than in the normal game or are there some tricks to build settlers quicker. I haven't really explored all the options yet. I know that farming and food are really scaled differently and therefore I could see that settler building speed increases a lot after a few inventions. But at first glance, I thought that settler building would be slower than in the regular game at epic speed. Is that correct? are you supposed to focus differently than some controlled expansion in the early game?

9) Dont use the biggest possible map its a waste of time in my opinion, try standard to get a hang of mechanics and how it all workd for you. I personally play small and standard maps with 3 additional ai civs above standard number. Reason is to see some classic and ancient war. So these pretty little units won't go to waste)
Thanks for the suggestion on map size and number of civs. I will consider your advice. But I do like larger maps.:) I used to play large or huge maps in the standard game, because you have little control over what happens in the wide world on other continents. But I surely didn't want to go huge in my first game. And I saw that there was a map size above huge in the mod. So I wanted to limit it to large.

I noticed that the manual of the mod said something about the map generators that worried me. I quote:
Secondly, when you use a custom map generation script for the first time, to ensure that it is working correctly, it is much recommended to generate a map and inspect it with WorldBuilder to see if all resources have appropriately spawned and nothing is wrong otherwise. Some scripts do not place custom RI terrain features (scrubs, marshes, reefs etc.). It will not break the mod, but several civs (like Aztecs, England or Japan) have national improvements (see appropriate section) that are dependent on those features and thus will be somewhat weaker without access to them. In addition, without fertile soils placed on the map, the cultivation feature will not work.
I tried a few maps with the RI_Totestra map generator supplied with the Realism Invictus and it seemed to produce very nice maps. But I can't quickly see if it is missing something. The mod has so many features. Did the mod really add map generators that potentially don't work well with the mod features?

Question about Global warming. How does it work in this game? I see many parameters in the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml file. But it seems to not define a terrain for the result of global warming. In the base game, this is desert. Does it also convert it into desert than in this mod? Does it use the base game value there?

The file also defines the same value twice, which seems problametic to me (without full understanding of the logic). I would guess it then uses the second value:

Code:
    <Define>
        <DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB</DefineName>
        <iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>
    </Define>

Code:
    <Define>
        <DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB</DefineName>
        <iDefineIntVal>1</iDefineIntVal>
    </Define>

Hold your horses, mate.

Here are some examples for you

Spoiler screens :

Totestra - climate-cold

View attachment 689892

Totestra Climate-temperate

View attachment 689893

Totestra Climate-temperate (same map as above) jungle region

View attachment 689894

Planet Generator: Climate variation - Drastic, Temperature - Normal
View attachment 689895

PerfectMongoose default settings
View attachment 689896

PerfectMongoose - jungle region same map
View attachment 689897

I'd say to achieve better result with Planet Generator try climate variation - drastic. Totestra - if you want more consistent tundra and polar biomes - try cold climate. PerfectMongoose generator is alright by default
Hi,
As far as Totestra goes, even your polar pic shows a random snow tile covered in woods by itself. The totestra I am showing you has a whole region just south lol, same settings (Picture1).
RI planet generator at temperate with drastic is messy like Picture2; it makes no sense to have grasslands/plains in between snow/tundra tiles, at least not to this degree. I am not fond of tundra so having larger polar regions with coder climate is no good. I did try it but had the same creep/disjointed effect just at a more equatorial longitude.
I have not tried much PerfectMongoose but the few maps had some pretty ugly continents :( . Am I just cursed with having to go to worldbuilder every time to go check and fix the map by hand?

Attachments

• Totestra temperate polar2.png
    Totestra temperate polar2.png
    8.6 MB · Views: 16
  • RIgen temperate polar1.png
    RIgen temperate polar1.png
    8.7 MB · Views: 17
Most of your questions have been addressed by others, but here are some of my inputs.
Both BUG and K-Mod (that further builds on BetterAI) are included.
I personally play with it off. Mostly because it turned out to be rather micromanagement-heavy.
It is perfectly playable with it off. OTOH, I really don't like the "punishing" mindset. It adjusts, yes, but if you're ahead in tech, you'll still be ahead, just by a smaller margin. It evens out the outliers a bit.
On the other hand, if I or an AI were dealt a perfect hand and every decision worked out perfectly (great area to settle, lots of resources, conquer a civilization early or settle a more than decent ares, get lots of open borders for faster technology sharing, lots of World Wonders build in a powerhouse city with the perfect resources to quickly build the wonders, etc.), then I wouldn't mind being ahead a bit of real life history. And if I or an AI were isolated on a tiny island, then I wouldn't mind being hopelessly behind on real life history. That would also make sense. I gather that only the being ahead is punished and the being behind not really compensated. Except maybe via the open borders sharing of technology if the the empire that is technologically behind can get open borders.

Is the mod not balanced for a good technological pace in a typical game without the 'ahead of time penalty'? I understand that it may not be so easy to balance the technological progress very well in an ever changing mod as it requires a lot of game testing. But for instance, the increased cost of research with the number of cities would already make it a bit easier to balance the game as a civilization being very successful in early conquest may not necessarily be doing very well in research. So that kind of development in a game doesn't mess up the technological progress of the world that much.
You wouldn't believe how many times people pestered me because they reached ironclads in 1600 or planes by 1800. Apparently, that arbitrary year number was very important for some - to the extent I contemplated simply removing the "year" and just leaving the "turn #". You'll be fine either way, with it on or off. As you mention yourself, a lot depends on the actual map settings and game circumstances when it comes to tech pace (for instance, even the same map with 8 Gandhis or 8 Genghis will progress at quite different speeds), but since a lot of people seemed to aggressively miss that, to the point of hurling insults, I just sat down and created a little rubberbanding mechanic that helped with the pacing. It's not as prohibitive as, say, in EU4, where you can't research any tech more than 10-15 years ahead of time no matter what you do, it simply pushes the average game's tech progress to be in line with the turn count for the chosen game speed's number of turns.
Is there a way to disable the unit cost scaling by spies?
The cost is now by +250% and a spy takes 15 rounds. That makes it hard to infiltrate other civs effective.
You can by adjusting XML. Note, though, that it works both ways, and AIs love their spies. You will get drowned in hostile missions most of the time if you do.
It is good to heard that this issue doesn't pop up that often and that you managed to work around it every time. But it is not clear to me why the declaration of a war a few turns before the issue popped up would remedy the situation. Neither is it clear how you identified the culprit. How did you guess what civilization was causing the problem and why did you try declaring war on them. Is there something known about the nature of the hanging game issue that would make this a logical course of action on your end?
It is actually a vanilla issue that has never been quite pinned down. It is something concerning privateers (and hidden nationality / always hostile units in general) and AI group logic. I did recently implement a workaround that circumvents the particular recently reported case; I'm not 100% satisfied with my solution, nor am I sure if it is universal - but that's precisely because the issue is so rare that I don't have enough test cases.
What I meant is that the cost of building a settler at the 'realistic' speed was already higher than the cost of building a settler in the regular game at epic speed. Are you supposed to expand slower than in the normal game or are there some tricks to build settlers quicker. I haven't really explored all the options yet. I know that farming and food are really scaled differently and therefore I could see that settler building speed increases a lot after a few inventions. But at first glance, I thought that settler building would be slower than in the regular game at epic speed. Is that correct? are you supposed to focus differently than some controlled expansion in the early game?
Yeah, the default speed is already quite a bit slower than vanilla. And yes, it is not quite recommended to expand at a breakneck speed. The balance of a lot of things is rather different to vanilla even where mechanics are similar; I suggest just getting a feel for the balance by trying.
I noticed that the manual of the mod said something about the map generators that worried me. I quote:
That concerns a random map generator that you got somewhere else (most likely on this forum) and try using with the mod. The ones that come bundled are tried and tested.
Question about Global warming. How does it work in this game? I see many parameters in the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml file. But it seems to not define a terrain for the result of global warming. In the base game, this is desert. Does it also convert it into desert than in this mod? Does it use the base game value there?
Since the scope of the mod ends with the XX century, global warming is simply off. Its real effects were felt only in the XXI century, and TBH, since humans did so little to avoid it before, there's no realistic way for it to have happened earlier (humanity was basically speedrunning it in XIX/XX centuries IRL); the mechanic is relevant way past the intended end date, so the easiest way was to just turn it off.
As far as Totestra goes, even your polar pic shows a random snow tile covered in woods by itself. The totestra I am showing you has a whole region just south lol, same settings (Picture1).
RI planet generator at temperate with drastic is messy like Picture2; it makes no sense to have grasslands/plains in between snow/tundra tiles, at least not to this degree. I am not fond of tundra so having larger polar regions with coder climate is no good. I did try it but had the same creep/disjointed effect just at a more equatorial longitude.
Picture 1 is most definitely the elevation map at work; that's basically an inland plateau, a cold(er) desert akin to Gobi IRL. In picture 2 I'm mostly seeing swamps mixed in with tundra to the further south if you're talking about the centre of the screenshot. It does inspire me to play with rainfall a bit; realistically, while cold bogs are a thing, generally, the extreme latitudes are very dry IRL.

Thanks for all the feedback Walter!

You wouldn't believe how many times people pestered me because they reached ironclads in 1600 or planes by 1800. Apparently, that arbitrary year number was very important for some - to the extent I contemplated simply removing the "year" and just leaving the "turn #". You'll be fine either way, with it on or off. As you mention yourself, a lot depends on the actual map settings and game circumstances when it comes to tech pace (for instance, even the same map with 8 Gandhis or 8 Genghis will progress at quite different speeds), but since a lot of people seemed to aggressively miss that, to the point of hurling insults, I just sat down and created a little rubberbanding mechanic that helped with the pacing. It's not as prohibitive as, say, in EU4, where you can't research any tech more than 10-15 years ahead of time no matter what you do, it simply pushes the average game's tech progress to be in line with the turn count for the chosen game speed's number of turns.
That is good to hear. It doesn't sound like a very stringent limitation, but I think I will play with it off if the game is well-balanced for the average play through. I don't mind getting a bit behind or in front of history.

I can imagine that it is important to some other players who want the game time to more resemble history, so it is great that you added it as a game option for those players!

Both BUG and K-Mod (that further builds on BetterAI) are included.
I saw it a big later both in game and in the manual. Although it wasn't yet clear that a version of BetterAI had been included. Good to hear that the modding community of CivIV kept using each others contributions!

You can by adjusting XML. Note, though, that it works both ways, and AIs love their spies. You will get drowned in hostile missions most of the time if you do.
This was not a reply to me, but it interests me anyway. I was planning to play with the increased costs of units off. I do like all the other additions that favor the use of combined arms like the already existing rock-paper-scissors mechanics and the added aid bonuses. And (less related), I also like the limited units per tile. But the increased cost one seemed a weird one to me and I guess others too as there is an option to switch it off. But I guess I will up the spy costs themselves then a bit to avoid too many espionage actions.

Is there a way to actually remove this cost adjustment for every unit category except spies. With spies, I do believe in the diminishing returns for the investment kind of logic. Can it be done easier than setting the increased costs parameter for each individual unit to zero except spies?

It is actually a vanilla issue that has never been quite pinned down. It is something concerning privateers (and hidden nationality / always hostile units in general) and AI group logic. I did recently implement a workaround that circumvents the particular recently reported case; I'm not 100% satisfied with my solution, nor am I sure if it is universal - but that's precisely because the issue is so rare that I don't have enough test cases.
Good to hear that you understand a bit where it is coming from and that you are looking into it. I didn't know about such an issue in the base game. I saw some other posters comment that they went into the world builder to stop a war between two parties or they declared war themselves. Of course, everything you change will have a ripple effect on the game and may stop the issue from occurring, but would there be a more systematic way to do so if it occurs. The approaches of these players seem to be a bit of a random roll to make the game go in a bit different direction and then avoid the issue. Would you for instance go into the world builder and look for a privateer that is the culprit and move it a few squares?

The disadvantage of going into the world builder is that you see so much. I used to play with the option blocked to even enter the world builder.

Yeah, the default speed is already quite a bit slower than vanilla. And yes, it is not quite recommended to expand at a breakneck speed. The balance of a lot of things is rather different to vanilla even where mechanics are similar; I suggest just getting a feel for the balance by trying.
I like the epic of the normal game, so I think the slower progress at the start will be enjoyable to me. Maybe a bit slower than I was used to. But I haven't played in a long time, so I am not that used to anything anymore. I read a bit about the concepts that are behind the changes and like the ever more effective farming plus the ever more efficient craftsmen. I guess that there are more ways to keep the larger cities happy, but I will see.

That concerns a random map generator that you got somewhere else (most likely on this forum) and try using with the mod. The ones that come bundled are tried and tested.
Ah, ok. Then it makes more sense!

Since the scope of the mod ends with the XX century, global warming is simply off. Its real effects were felt only in the XXI century, and TBH, since humans did so little to avoid it before, there's no realistic way for it to have happened earlier (humanity was basically speedrunning it in XIX/XX centuries IRL); the mechanic is relevant way past the intended end date, so the easiest way was to just turn it off.
Ah, good to hear. I don't mind a global warming mechanic per se, but didn't like the one in basic CivIV. And you are right that it is a fairly recent problem. So, the two values of global warming probability in that file just don't do anything. Good to hear.

Thanks again for all of the answers! Still wondering about how you'd deal with the privateer related bug when you would encounter it in a game.

It doesn't sound like a very stringent limitation, but I think I will play with it off if the game is well-balanced for the average play through. I don't mind getting a bit behind or in front of history.
Given the tech costs increase exponentially as you progress anyway, you'd be surprised how little even a major malus does in practice. A +100% tech cost basically delays one by 2-3 techs, as 3 columns further, a tech already costs about +100% more.
This was not a reply to me, but it interests me anyway. I was planning to play with the increased costs of units off. I do like all the other additions that favor the use of combined arms like the already existing rock-paper-scissors mechanics and the added aid bonuses. And (less related), I also like the limited units per tile. But the increased cost one seemed a weird one to me and I guess others too as there is an option to switch it off. But I guess I will up the spy costs themselves then a bit to avoid too many espionage actions.

Is there a way to actually remove this cost adjustment for every unit category except spies. With spies, I do believe in the diminishing returns for the investment kind of logic. Can it be done easier than setting the increased costs parameter for each individual unit to zero except spies?
Actually, the cost increase of spies is independent from the rest of the units, and will be there anyway. But I urge caution with turning off unit cost increases - while the option is definitely there, it is one that's harder to balance around, and this might not be the intended experience. But some people do play that way.
Good to hear that you understand a bit where it is coming from and that you are looking into it. I didn't know about such an issue in the base game. I saw some other posters comment that they went into the world builder to stop a war between two parties or they declared war themselves. Of course, everything you change will have a ripple effect on the game and may stop the issue from occurring, but would there be a more systematic way to do so if it occurs. The approaches of these players seem to be a bit of a random roll to make the game go in a bit different direction and then avoid the issue. Would you for instance go into the world builder and look for a privateer that is the culprit and move it a few squares?

The disadvantage of going into the world builder is that you see so much. I used to play with the option blocked to even enter the world builder.
The only two ways of fixing that when it occurs are to either go into WB and start deleting random stuff (I'd start with any privateers one can find) or post the save here and hope I can provide a solution. But you are getting really worked up for something that 90% of people don't ever experience.

Actually, the cost increase of spies is independent from the rest of the units, and will be there anyway. But I urge caution with turning off unit cost increases - while the option is definitely there, it is one that's harder to balance around, and this might not be the intended experience. But some people do play that way.
This was one of the changes in this mod that don't sit well with me. In reality, men gets more and more efficient in producing something when they create it in great quantity. Whether it is the tanks of WWII which were produced en masse and got better quality and cheaper to produce in the more and more specialized and improved assembly lines, or the master smith that in wartime gets to produce more and more swords and armour and gets a personal skill in producing the best quality steel swords. The increase in cost rubs me the wrong way. Glad to see that it is just optional.

Balance wise, I wonder how this works on huge maps where you need to defend many cities (with the cost increase active). Checking in game, the cost increase penalty mentioned was independent of map size. So, I guess it gets very expensive to build the defenders of your cities on a huge map relative to a small one.

This change is just not my cup of tea. I like many other changes.

Good to hear that it is independent for spies!

The only two ways of fixing that when it occurs are to either go into WB and start deleting random stuff (I'd start with any privateers one can find) or post the save here and hope I can provide a solution. But you are getting really worked up for something that 90% of people don't ever experience.
Worked up is maybe worded a bit exaggerated. But I did ask how often people experienced it and someone said 3 in 40 games. I tend to play bigger maps and not play so quickly, really getting into a game and deliberating what I should do.

The problem is that it gives you this nagging feeling that any turn, when you enter next turn, the game might hang. It does thereby diminish the joy of playing a bit. Nothing that you can easily fix. But I like to have a bit of a backup plan when it were to happen to me. Going into the world builder means for instance that I don't enable 'Lock modified assets', something that I would normally do.

Thanks for the suggestions how to handle the issue if it were to occur to me.:thumbsup:

Hey, haven’t posted on these forums since I was a little kid, but I’ve been playing (and loving) this mod for a while now and recently updated to the latest version. One thing I noticed is that PerfectWorld on a previous mod version used to have a cool feature where coast tiles would often generate out further than 1 tile away from the shore in some places, leading to some really unique exploration and sightlines. This feature doesn’t seem to exist anymore in the current version, so does anybody know a way to re-enable that?

Thanks for your work on this mod Walter. I wanted to ask you if the main menu music, Blizzard by Kai Engel, was your choice? I'm also a little curious how you found it. I think it's great and sounds fitting.

This was one of the changes in this mod that don't sit well with me. In reality, men gets more and more efficient in producing something when they create it in great quantity. Whether it is the tanks of WWII which were produced en masse and got better quality and cheaper to produce in the more and more specialized and improved assembly lines, or the master smith that in wartime gets to produce more and more swords and armour and gets a personal skill in producing the best quality steel swords.
I think the cost scaling is a good balance thing in RI, but you have kind of a point. Though, I think typically the massive production scales during wartime are more from converting civilian factories and workforce over to manufacturing for the war effort. It's less that a single factory or a particular worker is producing ten times what it could before because it has so much experience and more that all the factories making high-heeled shoes start making combat boot instead or something. And I think the game captures this by increasing city production rather than adjusting cost. Like reallocating worked tiles or specialists to increase production at the cost of other yields. Or even just outright switching all your cities from making civilian buildings to producing units.

It's still kind an interesting idea, like having way of specializing manufacturing. Though things like archery ranges and cannon forges kind of do that. Leaning more into that could be interesting. Like having all the aircraft manufacturing happening out of Dayton Ohio because that's where all the talent is or something -- I'm sure reality isn't quite like that but you get the idea.

Going into the world builder means for instance that I don't enable 'Lock modified assets', something that I would normally do.
Locking modified assets is generally a very bad idea when playing with mods - means any problem you have, however small, can't be fixed on the fly.
In reality, men gets more and more efficient in producing something when they create it in great quantity. Whether it is the tanks of WWII which were produced en masse and got better quality and cheaper to produce in the more and more specialized and improved assembly lines, or the master smith that in wartime gets to produce more and more swords and armour and gets a personal skill in producing the best quality steel swords. The increase in cost rubs me the wrong way. Glad to see that it is just optional.
In reality, manpower was also a thing. Raising the 10th legion / longbowman troop would likely be much harder than the first, as suitable candidates would have been progressively harder to find and would require more time and effort to train to the same standard. For most of human history, manpower considerations would outweigh any economy of scale.

For the tanks and such your argument stands better, but we could still abstract that in terms of other limiting factors similar to manpower, from training pilots/operators, to limited supply resources such as rare metals, to the necessity to create additional infrastructure to service large amounts of vehicles. While economies of scale work IRL to a certain extent, realistically they tend to run into certain bottlenecks that drive the costs upwards (for WW2 German tanks, for instance, fuel was a major issue, and while synthetic fuel plants would increase the amount of fuel available, they also drove up the economical burden of a large tank force, as were some rare elements that were required for better-quality steel alloys, and even rubber to an extent, as synthetic rubber was more expensive than natural at the time).
One thing I noticed is that PerfectWorld on a previous mod version used to have a cool feature where coast tiles would often generate out further than 1 tile away from the shore in some places, leading to some really unique exploration and sightlines. This feature doesn’t seem to exist anymore in the current version, so does anybody know a way to re-enable that?
TBH I don't remember changing anything in this regard.
Thanks for your work on this mod Walter. I wanted to ask you if the main menu music, Blizzard by Kai Engel, was your choice? I'm also a little curious how you found it. I think it's great and sounds fitting.

I specifically looked for royalty-free music, and that website is a great place to do that. Not the only good candidate I had from there, but ultimately the one I went with.

In reality, manpower was also a thing. Raising the 10th legion / longbowman troop would likely be much harder than the first, as suitable candidates would have been progressively harder to find and would require more time and effort to train to the same standard. For most of human history, manpower considerations would outweigh any economy of scale.

For the tanks and such your argument stands better, but we could still abstract that in terms of other limiting factors similar to manpower, from training pilots/operators, to limited supply resources such as rare metals, to the necessity to create additional infrastructure to service large amounts of vehicles. While economies of scale work IRL to a certain extent, realistically they tend to run into certain bottlenecks that drive the costs upwards (for WW2 German tanks, for instance, fuel was a major issue, and while synthetic fuel plants would increase the amount of fuel available, they also drove up the economical burden of a large tank force, as were some rare elements that were required for better-quality steel alloys, and even rubber to an extent, as synthetic rubber was more expensive than natural at the time).
There are indeed more problems with having a big military in the real world.

I wouldn't mind a kind of manpower mechanic or a resource shortage mechanic.

The resource implementation of Firaxis is fairly simple, which is ok for a game which isn't about war. But of course, it doesn't capture it fully. The US, which made many more tanks and airplanes and ships didn't have this problem because they had enough resources. The fact that they mass produced the same design of ships, airplanes and tanks en masse made them cheaper a piece.

Back to manpower. It is a real thing, a strain on the economy in long protracted wars where many men are fighting. CivIV drafting also doesn't capture it as you can just regrow the people as if no one is fighting. A food maintenance next to a gold maintenance would capture it a bit. That would hurt your cities, but does result in micromanagement. You'd also need a nationwide food surplus count for that. Civilization 1 and 2 did it maybe a bit better. There units had a production (hammers in those days) maintenance, so a big military would hurt the normal economy too as less production was left in the cities. Although, I would distribute the costs over the cities equally in stead of the way it was done in those games.

In a sense, if you abstract a bit, you could say that the current maintenance mechanic in gold is also good enough as if it were to become very big then you'd need more cottages and merchants and get less production and research. Maybe unit maintenance is a bit low and that's why the strain on the economy isn't felt enough.

Resource shortage could be simulated in a simple manner by not making resources mandatory for units, but giving a serious production discount on say the first 10 units that use that resource per instance of a resource. After that, the discount disappears. You'd probably want to balance the unit strength mostly on the discounted cost.

The problem with a progressive building cost formula is that it scales weirdly with map size and empire size. To have a military of two units per city will cost you a lot more on a big map or in a big empire, which doesn't relate to something like manpower.

Top Bottom