• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Realism Invictus

I see you use the fort outside the cultural boundary, in R.I. 3.6, the fort should not give any defense or attack bonuses. Have you made any changes to the mechanics of the fort that it also gives a bonus outside your territories?
For above question, see this: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/r-i-my-personal-spin-off.683863/page-4#post-16603998.

I have given the best answer I could in my thread - but I surely could use input from a very skilled person (read Walter).

The fort aid was coded by another person way before I started meddling with the code myself and I never felt the need to dig around in that bit of code, but from my experience, the defensive bonus from the fort works everywhere - be it your own territory, neutral, or even within enemy borders, so long as the fort is occupied by you.

perhaps only the unit promotions are activated in the fort even outside the borders, but the fort itself does not give any bonus outside the cultural border
I posted a screenshot I just took.

Attachments

• FORT.jpg
    FORT.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 33
perhaps only the unit promotions are activated in the fort even outside the borders, but the fort itself does not give any bonus outside the cultural border
I posted a screenshot I just took.
I can't give you an "bulletproof" answer on that - but this - that your units get the defense-bonus directly from the fort inside your cultural border but your unit(s) get a individual "fort-bonus" instead when they are outside your cultural border as showed on my screenshots on "my page" - this could be the way the programmer made the extra "defense" working. Don't know.

What I do know is, that I think the defenders get a too high protection from the fort - at least until we have some more "usefull" canons, that can course some collateral damage to the troops.

Edit: Some basic info about this Fort_Aid here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/r-i-my-personal-spin-off.683863/page-4#post-16604340 . Maybe some would like to comment this.

Last edited:
I have a bit niche question, but very interested nonetheless. Maybe Walter or The BirdMan can answer.

I've made derivative civs playable by simple edit of xml. mentioned earlier in the thread. All is well but it seems to me that they don't have dynamic flags, but as I remember when AI plays as derivative civ some of them for sure have dynamic flags, can anybody clarify that? I mean will my civ have dynamic flag? I tried Texas and Tartar, Texas didnt change at all. Tartar tribes had white flag I never saw before in any games but didnt change it to more "usual" one. Hope you understand what I mean

More feedback from recent play on the SVN:

Spoiler :

- Potential Bug: In my game, I encountered an independent Armenia without having any of their units visible within the military advisor on the same turn. (On that note, it appears to be the case that you diplomatically meet all vassals of the master civ upon encountering the latter, which may or may not be intended behavior or worth the effort of correcting if not.) My one thought is that perhaps they met me via a privateer which they control (which would of course have hidden nationality) but this is not something I've experienced before. If there's no valid edge case causing this that I'm missing, I can link the save.

- Quality of life suggestion: This has been mentioned before, but some events occur quite frequently or are anachronistic. I actually had mentioned the volcanic eruption frequency being excessive before, and Pecheneg actually made the case that this is quite true to real life (using Kamchatka as an example). Even if that's true, for gameplay purposes it throws things out of balance and is annoying since it is unpredictable and there is nothing you can do to prevent them. This disincentivizes building cottages anywhere near an active volcano, as they will wipe out the entire town completely and thus the sunk cost of developing them over time is wasted as the investment is removed. I would suggest either implementing an alternative where the volcano "pillages" the town and only reduces it to its preceding level, or simply go to the event folder and reduce the probability of the event by changing the probability number (as I have done in my own case, with pleasing results where it still occurs but is not nearly so common as the default). Similarly, some events routinely recur way too frequently to be plausible which harms immersion, such as the plane crash event (in some of my games, this has happened literally every few turns for the entire duration since flight is researched) and the grain donation to an AI civ, which sometimes also happens every few turns and has allowed me to rake in obscene levels of positive relations with said civ, to the effect that diplomacy with them ceases to be meaningful and you can remain at friendly after declaring war on them several times. A simple modification of the probability value in the folder seems to have done the trick for me, so this change would be easy to implement. I had even forgotten about most of these since I had already done so on my own install, but playing the fresh SVN saw this all come right back to life.

As far as anachronistic events go, the "careless cigarette smoker" destroying the theater immediately comes to mind, but I believe there are a few others. That one in particular should have an industrial tech prerequisite (much as the plane crash event does with flight), and this would also be easily fixed.

- Maintenance: A recent commit in the changelog referenced removing the notification which identifies the location of great people births for civs that haven't been met. Was this applied to wonders as well, since this notification functions the same way for both? My other question concerning this is whether the location should be identified, if you have met the civ in question diplomatically but the birth city is still unexplored. When playing, I had met Peter the Great from a carrack he had sent over, but did not have any knowledge of his empire's geography. He lost a city, and I got a notification for the destruction of wonders from conquest, as well as a locator in the black showing the tile of the city where they had been destroyed. Since that locator does not appear when the game presents the notification as "in a faraway land," I figured this could potentially be tied to that description if the city in question has not been explored, even if the leader has been met diplomatically.

Though this is just a suspicion, I think there is some logic in the code for this, since you get localized notifications for cities being founded, but only in revealed portions of the map, whether or not you already know the founding civ diplomatically, which is exactly the turf of what I'm thinking of above. It would make for better gameplay if the notifications for wonders being constructed or destroyed only identified the location when this occurs in cities you already know of, just as it is with the notifications for cities being founded or conquered.

- Suggested reimplementation: This is something I have brought up a lot (though I think only once specifically as a petition) but I would recommend reenabling defensive pacts, just as they are in vanilla Beyond the Sword. Initially, I was in favor of offensive alliances, and while I actually never experienced the purportedly then-common scenario of them becoming ubiquitous and preventing war nearly altogether (in fact, they were often only signed among friendly civs and in triangulation against mutual enemies, just as you would want) I found that it felt cheap that I as the player could "wield" other civs' militaries by making them declare war on my targets with no option for them to refuse. I actually tried to play with permanent defensive pacts from the global defines setting, but that appears to be broken as they functioned like default and expired with each new war anyway. I think they are an interesting feature and add another layer to a diplomacy which is a bit thin on player interactivity in its current form (even if statically it is quite dynamic), and the original reason for their removal has literally never happened in numerous entire games I've played with them on. I'd suggest putting them back in.

- Aesthetic suggestion: Ok, I actually take it back regarding plains and grassland. The greater warmth of the colors is pleasing and the smoother texture seems more appropriate, even if the contrast with other terrains is perhaps too high (especially relative to desert, which plains are supposed to be naturally adjacent to). What does seem out of place to me as a leftover from the previous realistic terrain package, is actually the deserts themselves. I always found it odd that they are represented much more like cracked clay rather than sand. I would suggest something with a smoother and more neutral texture as with the plains, both for the just-mentioned reason as well as for consistency, since this was done elsewhere.

I'm having plenty of fun with this again! As always, thank you for all of your longstanding effort on this project. :goodjob:

Last edited:
- Potential Bug: In my game, I encountered an independent Armenia without having any of their units visible within the military advisor on the same turn. (On that note, it appears to be the case that you diplomatically meet all vassals of the master civ upon encountering the latter, which may or may not be intended behavior or worth the effort of correcting if not.) My one thought is that perhaps they met me via a privateer which they control (which would of course have hidden nationality) but this is not something I've experienced before. If there's no valid edge case causing this that I'm missing, I can link the save.
This happens somewhat frequently to me. Two options: 1) Armenia could have just barely seen the corner of your land using a unit with multiple moves (such as a carrack), and then backed away from view. or 2) They could have discovered you via spy. I have met new civilizations while spy-scouting before and it's always amused me somewhat - "Hey there new leader, it's nice to meet you but don't ask me how I know about you."

I have never played Realism Invictus before and have just started a game with version 3.61 of the mod

But I have now also learned about the SVN checkout possibility. I assume that given the huge jump from BTS to Realism Invictus 3.61, the far smaller jump to the latest SVN would matter less and I can just play this game with 3.61.

Or do you think that it is better for me to cancel this game and download the SVN as I am now missing out on some crucial gameplay improvement or will be plagued by some terrible bug if I don't update to the latest SVN?

The pre-packaged version is considered the "stable" build while SVN is the "work-in-progress" build. Unless you're a real sicko for this game like a few of us on this board there's no reason to chase the latest SVN update.

I have never played Realism Invictus before and have just started a game with version 3.61 of the mod

But I have now also learned about the SVN checkout possibility. I assume that given the huge jump from BTS to Realism Invictus 3.61, the far smaller jump to the latest SVN would matter less and I can just play this game with 3.61.

Or do you think that it is better for me to cancel this game and download the SVN as I am now missing out on some crucial gameplay improvement or will be plagued by some terrible bug if I don't update to the latest SVN?

There are barely any non-aesthetic changes between 3.61 and the current SVN. I would definitely recommend playing on the latest official release first to learn the game (not least because it'll load in a couple of minutes as opposed to about 20). Any kind of significant bugs are almost nonexistent at this point.

There are barely any non-aesthetic changes between 3.61 and the current SVN. I would definitely recommend playing on the latest official release first to learn the game (not least because it'll load in a couple of minutes as opposed to about 20). Any kind of significant bugs are almost nonexistent at this point.
Thanks!

I've got a balance question, been thinking about it for a while.
Doesn't it seem strange to you how useless Nuclear plants are compared to real life? No benefits at all. Gas plant is better in any regard and by the time you survived to get to this point you 100% have a gas resource somewhere around. Keeping coal plant with event bonus could be more beneficial too, wile solar and gas plant provide bigger boosts to happiness and health. Nuclear plant link with late game wonder is negligible. And to top it off small meltdown risk. So whats the point?

I think Nuclear plant should give significant production bones, so its either you strive for more health-happiness, or risk meltdown but get production benefits, what do you think?

hi, if anyone can help me, I wanted to know on which file.txt these two tags are located. please don't reply to me in the .txt folder. because I know, I can't find the file. I copied the tag into all the files in the .txt folder without finding it anywhere. Thank you
<Description>TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_1</Description>
<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_1_PEDIA</Civilopedia>,
ok

maybe they are in the original civ 4 beyond folder

another question, but corporations work in this mod, or are deactivated, because I can't find the entry in civipedia

Last edited:
Now I've been using my own "version" of R:I for so long that I can't really remember(!) if this is common in the latest versions of R:I - or if I've "stumbled upon" something useful.. ........
Spoiler Am I really being bombarded - or is it just wishful thinking? :

Civ4ScreenShot0285.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0288.JPG

As you might see, 2 of my longbowmen has been hit. Don't think about collateral damage - it's only 2 to 4% and actually insignificant (at least for this almost ancient type of artillery) - it can't be seen on this screenshot..

Is it really the meta to death stack 50 troops and not give a danm to supply?!

You get serieus penalties when you stack a lot of troops, meaning that smaller stacks of troops will have better statistics per unit. So I would expect it to be attractive to attack the stack of death with multiple smaller stacks which don't suffer these penalties. Of course, it may be hard to get multiple stacks in position to attack the bigger stack. And you still want as many of the aid bonuses from stacking as possible.

So why do you create the huge stacks? You can't get multiple smaller stacks aligned to attack the bigger one?

Top Bottom