Really fresh. Really WWII. Really twisted.

Jeh it really takes quite a while (so it's not finished yet) and it's not easy but I'll try my best...
Some things I won't change:
Kaliningrad was German and known as Königsberg before WWII;
IIRC Cuba should be American before the communist revolution.
I changed some resouce placements but I didn't give resources to nation they did not also have before. (i.e Germany has neither oil nor rubber and i am not sure about jetfuel)

It's great fun to play this mod but the cityplacement is really bad! (At least in Germany) eg Potsdam is a kind of suburb of Berlin and not west of Hannover; Hamburg should be close to the sea ad not south of Hannover and east to Kiel
Perhaps I will try to rename/relocate some cities at the weekend so this problem should be solved ;)....

Interesting, Kiel is on the Northern coast but my map shows it on the Western to access the Atlantic; this aberration is intentional, and ties to real-world building the canal for the purpose of access. In that vein, Diplomacy game maps have Kiel on that region too, and to make the tactics correct, added that wierd Skaggerak bay.

By the way, add/subtract to your heart's content; even post your results if you want to. Fair credit is nice though.

So it finaly took myself much longer to change things and upload it right now (even it's not really finished) cause I had little time for c3c :(
But here my results...

Attachments

• Th_R_8_v1_3_1.zip
    99.7 KB · Views: 173
Very nice scenario. The diplomacy seems to disappear in a few circumstances. Such as, I(Germany) jumped the gun and had all the allies go to war with each other, but then your triggers caused them to go to war with me and any diplomacy with the people I forced them to go to war with disappeared.

:) Well it is now the middle of July, any word on your update?:crazyeye:

I have played it as German, Engish, American, Finland ( that was hard to win with that one, UN victory) and Arabs. I liked it better with more seperate nations, but you can have fun with about any group. :cool:

I think next step is to go world wide, add Japan, China, India, etc. and make it larger.:)

Need help or play testers, just ask, we are out here awaiting.;)

I have got new video card, nidva 7300, 512mb, this plays nicely on my machine now.:goodjob:

I had to knock over a gas station, but I've finally got a compy with 512mb of ram. :lol: That means I'll be doing some work on this, but I expect it'll be awhile before it actually comes out. I do want to make a global map, and will add the Japanese invention jetstream balloon-bombs, I know how I can do it--change the plague graphic.

I'll need a unit graphic for balloons exploding. Just can't do it myself, alas it's simply beyond me... Modders?

hey Finn.

First off, this mod is up there with Fallout and TML as one of the best Civ III mods I know of. It's f'ing visionary. Congrats on a great product that I suspect took a lot of hard work. I have some questions for you:

1. the UFO: how do you build a road on a volcano? I saw your post on the old thread to the effect that you can just build a city next to it...this does not seem to be working for me. (I took over all of Iceland, thus the road links the new town w/the harbor in Rejkjavik...shouldn't this be adequate, if no road on the volcano is necessary?)

2. I haven't gotten this far yet, but can the USA only build Area 51 after the Germans build the UFOwerks? If so, what happens if the Nazis never get to Iceland? I dig the idea that UFOs would appear and disappear as a resource--good luck figuring that one out. (What about Roswell?)

3. As far as other ways to elaborate on the mystical/occult elements of this mod go: Have you read H.P. Lovecraft? I bet Cthulhu or Yog-Sothoth could probably give Samael a run for his money... also you could throw in some voodoo, to give people a reason to invade the Caribbean, or make the fascist neutrals playable. Let me know if you want me to elaborate on any/all of these themes.

4. This might be a lot of work, and/or it might not jibe with your vision for this project, but a smaller map with fewer cities would probably turn over a lot faster, and be better for people like me with short attention spans and slow computers.

Anyway, get back to me when you have the chance re: Iceland.

Again, great work on the mod.

oh yeah, one other thing: seems like the workers and engineers in this mod are very, very slow in completing their tasks. is this on purpose?

vurt, your observations are spot-on accurate. voodoo would be a good addition, I'm working on it... Several ideas have been posted, and this might be a good time to package them all, apologies that the latest version isn't up to its potential, but I am working on it...

1. Building a road to the UFO. I discovered that the volcano terrain doesn't have a setting in the editor for 1 additional commerce with a road; this prevents roads from being built in the terrain. It's counter-intuitive, which is why it escaped my attention thus far. Private test scenarios have corrected this. Future versions will also. Just go to editor, select terrain, and tick "commerce +1" and units will be allowed to build roads on that terrain. Cripes. Hardcoders.

2. voodoo and the Tech Santeria: some real possibilities. Zombies fueled by purple-spotted octopus poison or somesuch concoction, definitely part of the campy atmosphere.

3. Cuba's Batista was a tool of the US, but it wasn't an actual US territory. Latin America is better as a separate nation. I'm trying to set up a map where Mexico is included, since Germany made several attempts to launch an invasion from that front in real life...

4. My cats eat too much.

5. Area 51 and the UFO, this requires the USA to claim the UFO resource. If America is willing to capture Iceland she can build Area 51. It doesn't require any action from the Germans. Playtesting this, either the Germans get the RFZ-1 or the Americans get Area 51.

5b. although, if the map allowed for more than one UFO resource, both nations could strive for their own goals. Food for thought...

vurt:
your thoughts on a smaller map and short attention spans are useful. I'm extremely reluctant to make this mod in a true "global" map, since most of what actually happened was close to the equator. I hope I can focus on WWII's theatres... And I definitely want to keep in tune with short attention spans. Even though mine is long, I appreciate the need for "span" as a priority... :cool:

oh yeah, one other thing: seems like the workers and engineers in this mod are very, very slow in completing their tasks. is this on purpose?

yes this is on purpose. railroads, for instance, should take a long time to finish in these years...

I made a version with Dr. Strangelove as the science advisor:

-http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/70084/advisor_tab.pcx

-http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/70084/popupSCIENCE.pcx

Simply replace the files in Th_R_8/Art/smallheads (or something like that).
They are a bit rough around the edges, but its my first attempt and I'm not very god with GIMP.

I'll make Mrs. Foreign Affairs(aka Miss Scott) the domestic advisor, make Stainesly the trade advisor,Lionel Mandrake the culture advisor, and DeSadesy the foreign advisor.Also, I'll use a pic of the warroom as a backround for something.

...I might use the ground work in this scenario to set up a Dr.Strangelove themed mod.

More additions could be:

-Project Habbukuk:A secret aircraft carrier pioneered by Britain made of a special ice called Pycrete(think floating iceberg airbase on 'roids) that is almost indestructable-would carry the largest amount of aircraft of any vessel before the modern era, and would have a huge number a hit points.Available to any civ.

-Majestic 12:If America wants to go farther down the UFO path, this is where its headed.

-"Grand Slam":A HUGE bomb that buries itself underground before exploding and produces an earth quake-Causes massive damage to units on the attacked tile, single use.

-The Philidelphia Project:When the US got a hold of Professor Einstein they utilized his Theory of Relativity in some strange ways- Allows connstruction of the Philidelphia battleship, which has slightly higher combat values but is invisible and can teleport.I don't know how to make teleporting units but the makers of Escape From Zombie Island 2 figured out how so could you please ask them?Produces 2 unhappy faces in the city it is built and some extra research.

-Swiss Banks:Who could forget about their infamous bank accounts?

-IBM:IBM helped the Reich organize its information on the Jews.Triples culture bonus from sacrifice!

-Civ4 BTS:The mod is great right now, but the sheer modability of Civ4 could open up whole new universes!, like my Reverse Engineering idea.

Ideas for if you go Global:

-The treasure of Saipan:Japan hid a ton of plunder from the rest of Asia in the Phillipines, if an Allied nation captures the city of Saipan it and devotes enough money into finding it It will have a huge source of funds.

-Mt. Fuji: The labs(and posssibly UFO research?) hidden under Mt. Fuji provide a big research and airdefense bonus.

-Shangri-La:The mythical floating city puts a black market in every city and provides a commerce bonus.

-(Japanese)Death Rays!: Using microwaves(just what do you think was the predecessor of that kitchen fixture?),it frys infantry,melts taks and blasts aircraft out of the sky! Has huge attack/defense/bombard/airdefense ratings. Can be a game ender.

-Godzilla!:If Japan can aquire a nuke, it can awaken Godzilla!It is one of the few units that stands a chance against Hellboy or Liz.

-Battleship Yamato:Simply put, the most powerful sea unit in the game.

-Samurai:Teutonic Knights for Japan.

-Cultural Revolution:Available to the communist Chinese, it all cities take a culture hit but there is increased sheild and commerce production in every tile.

-Zen monastery:Hidden away in the mountains of Tibet, the world famous Zen-Warrior monks are trained here.-Trains an immaculate monk every 10 turns.Immaculate monks have extremely high zero-range lethal bombardment and movement but only one hitpoint at regular status.Also provides a massive defense bonus.Must be built before the commies capture Tibet.

-Giant Octopus:These tamed Japanese giant octopi prowl the sea.Detects invisible and is invisible.

-Nazi Tech:Japan can build the Reich's missiles and tanks if it trades with them.

-Todaiji Temple:The largest wooden free standing structure in the world.+2 happy haces in every city.Doubles effect of all temples and cathedrals.Requires significant restoration(ie initial sheild cost).

-Suicide jet:A cruise missile with a pilot, more powerful than a V-2 because of it's increased accuracy and payload.

-El Dorado:The lost city of Gold

-Mayan Temple:Finding this temple will allow to stop the world from ending!

-biological warfare:Japan invested a significant sum of money in anthrax developement.

-death march:decreases pop. but gives a big sheild bonus, useful if you are surround by jungle!

Even though I don't beleive a single one of those conspiracy theories, one of the best scenarios for Civ3 ever!

I am going "global" in a sense. I refuse to create a true map of the globe for this, I absolutely refuse, because I don't want to see German Uboats patrolling the China Sea, or Indo-Chinese Pirates ruling the Mediterranean, and I know the Civ engine will make it happen with a real globe map. I've created a pretty map of the northern hemisphere, with no Northwest passage -- blocked by ice. The Atlantic theatre links to the Pacific only through the Panama Canal, which is an isthmus city controlled by America. I'm not even confident the AI can figure out how to send Atlantic-assigned ships to the Pacific, but it's the best I can do...

Stalin5 your ideas are welcome. Some are mechanicly not possible, but still the ideas are good. At this point the global version is focusing on combat balance like forcepools, but I'm keeping the tone of conspiracy theories. Thanks for the kudo! I do want to keep Hellboy, Abe, Liz and Samael for the "Occult Warfare" tech, and Godzilla is a perfect match for the eastern theatre. I am trying to respect myself in the morning for adding Shangrila and taking out Switzerland as a separate civ; Basil still has the Swiss Banks wonder. I can't believe it, but I'm actually thinking about adding Atlantis and taking out the Zendi references... That would be work.

An important P.S. to this is that this map is really really huge. Don't remember the numbers offhand, but the minimap has a teeny tiny square to represent the screenmap thats about .3-.4 cm square... And there's no x-wrap. India is not at the party. Planned.

What did you think of the Strangelove advisor head?

Post Scriptum:What exactly is mechanically impossible?If it is the teleporting battleship thing the makers of Escape From Zombie Island 2 figured it out so it must be possible.

What did you think of the Strangelove advisor head?

Post Scriptum:What exactly is mechanically impossible?If it is the teleporting battleship thing the makers of Escape From Zombie Island 2 figured it out so it must be possible.

Before that Balancer Reloaded figured it out, say pioneered it is more of a true statement SO ya that is a go
Your 'Grand Slam is what hes reffering to here as an example I think of whats undoable. Good ideas though . THanks for you input to the community

Why would it be undoable, just a single-use massive bombard cruise missile with an airplane-bomb-dropping animation, doesn't sound to hard to me.

Strangely enough I don't consider the teleporting impossible. It would have to be graphicly-portrayed, with a unit ability such as airdrop or re-base. My most recent version of WWII w/twist includes mines that can be airdropped if carried on-board a tactical missile-carrying plane like the ME-110. However, I do not know of a way that any unit can "teleport" from a wilderness tile with no airbase...

The Grand Slam on the other hand includes a critical word "units" which makes me sceptical. It would have to include a nuclear flag in order to affect multiple units. As it stands, the rules for C3C allow only effect on a single target unit. Too bad, since block-busters and such are area-of-effect and non-nuclear... Sigh. Haven't gotten into Civ4, friends who tried it were less than satisfied but there may come a day...

Also in general, threads on bombardment tell us that it only applies once. I'm working on the assumption that 0-range bombardment is defense only, and only 1 combat round. The "defend" graphic is completely separate, and happens only rarely. I am frequently mystified by posters who claim they can win a game purely based on bombardment units. Only in the attack does multiple rate-of-fire apply... But that's as good as half a win.

Even a Tesla Missile will destroy only one unit, but practically any unit...

Strangely enough I don't consider the teleporting impossible. It would have to be graphicly-portrayed, with a unit ability such as airdrop or re-base. My most recent version of WWII w/twist includes mines that can be airdropped if carried on-board a tactical missile-carrying plane like the ME-110. However, I do not know of a way that any unit can "teleport" from a wilderness tile with no airbase...

Not sure if you saw the Balancer Reloaded version of teleport? Above are some rare screenies of it in action taken from Storm Grunts adoption of the Balancer Reloaded discovery used with consent for his ill fated Omega project.

After OMega was stopped I think three or more other mods came out directly after with their own teleporting features ( Balancer players were using the original format about a year prior to those releases)

I know what I really want!

*drumroll*

:nuke: THE DOOMSDAY DEVICE! :nuke:

"We'll meet again,Don't know where,
Don't know when.Please smile through,
Just like you,Always do.
Till' the blue skies drive the dark clouds,Far away.
Would you please say hello,To the folks that I know,
Tell them,I won't be long.
They'll be happy to know, that as you saw me go,
I was singing this songWe'll meet again,
Don't know where,Don't know when.
But I know we'll meet again,Some sunny day.
"

A great wonder,because, Herman Kahn did say in his book that whoever controlled on of these things wouldn't let someone else build one, that makes ICBMs on a regular basis.

What is going on here :sad:, no word from you in over two months?:confused: Need help? or has RL gotten to You?:crazyeye:

Let us know what is up!:goodjob:

Wrong sound file in ::cry:
Art\Unit\Bedouin\GuerillAttackAGun.wav needs to be GuerillaAttackAGun.wav. Also need BayerischeSplash.pcx. :eek:
I fixed both in by game, one by going and using Splash fron ver 5, and I corrected spelling on sound file.:goodjob:

Was playing "ibn Saud of the Arabs when I found those problems.

Any word on any updates? :confused:

Top Bottom