[IAAR] Realpolitik: 2017

THE REALPOLITIK REPORTER: THURSDAY, JAN 26, 3040BC

BREAKING: Maid Eats Random Mushrooms, Invents Math! Burned Alive By Angry High Schoolers An Hour Later.
Is eating random mushrooms good for your kidneys? Turn to Page 6 to find out!
Politics on Page 3.

Page 3:

Ninjacow/Muhabir - Aswad al Tahrir(HA/TMP) : 7
Spoiler :
HA: 3
TMP: 4

Celticfury/Patchy - The National Ummah(PPP/CMP/ASP) : 5
Spoiler :
CMP: 2
PPP: 2
ASP: 1

GFP: 0

Secret Vote Total: 0

Coalition colors assigned randomly. If you would like to request a different color for your Coalition, I would be happy to comply .

Special Event! Interviews!
Our founder and chief political analyst, ex-President Lighthearter, sat down with both men interested in succeeding him as President of the Arabian Republic. Both were quite kind and courteous, and we had some thoughtful discussion over wine and dinner before I settled down to the meat of things: the interviews. Both candidates were given the same list of questions, and I have faithfully recorded their answers below.
Spoiler :
What is your stance on Stonehenge and why?
Celticfury, National Ummah:
While useful, the resources that would be needed to complete Stonehenge can be put to better use expanding our nation.
Ninjacow, Aswad al Tahrir:
As shown in our publicly revealed plan, building Stonehenge is not a priority of our coalition. We believe that Stonehenge does not synergize well with our ability (The Last Prophet) so we think that the risk that Stonehenge would be completed before we could complete it is too high. That is why we wish to dedicate our resources to other matters.
Assuming you fail to triumph in this election, what do you consider the ideal Opposition Strength?

The likely Opposition strength would be Low or Medium.
High, as this allows for a strong and healthy opposition without overpowering the government. This is assuming that the government is honest, if they start to act dishonestly or corruptly then the ideal strength is Severe.
Assuming we gain a Great Prophet during your Administration, what religious beliefs would you select to compliment Stone Circles? What Religion would you choose?
The Administration will likely seek to pursue Stewardship and Meeting Houses as religious beliefs. However, we will be open to alternative views on this point, and are willing to discuss the matter with the Opposition. The specific religion chosen has yet to be determined. (OOC: Probably something Discworld based)
We would choose Islam for obvious reasons. I believe that choosing the founding and follower bonuses for religions are so important that we would request an emergency meeting to determine what would be the most appropriate for the situation we would be facing.

Who would you forward as Speaker of the National Council, and why?
It is the current consideration of the President to support the Good Faith Party as Speaker.
This would of course depend on who is elected, but I believe that best candidate for Speaker would be Magnive. The National Ummah would never accept one of our candidates for Speaker and vice-versa, so he would be the ideal compromise candidate. He is also highly qualified for the job.
Would you allow any and all opposition the right to peacefully express their views?
Freedom of expression is an important part of our political process. The opposition will be allowed to express their views, so long as it is done peacefully.
Of course, for a healthy democracy to function the opposition and independents must be free to criticise the government freely.
Would you uphold your ideals even if it meant hurting your own party/coalition's success?
The PPP will seek to maintain its ideals to the best of its abilities, while balancing the beliefs of the coalition as a whole.
Of course, ideals are everything.
How would you define your current relationship with the Good Faith Party, and seeing as how it looks like they can make or break this election with their support, what role do you see them occupying in the future administration, depending on the results and their eventual support?
The relationship between the National Ummah and the Good Faith Party is shaky, at best, due to conflicting ideologies. Regardless of this elections outcome, the Good Faith Party's position essentially means this is their country to influence, unless the political climate shifts with new membership.
I believe that we have a cordial relationship with the Good Faith Party. We hope to converse with them in the process of governing this country and we hope that they will participate in the National Council.
What was your rationale for selecting your Vice-President? What makes him the man for the job?
Patchy is a capable and determined leader, with a good sense for what is the best path for the country.
Muhabir's experience with Civ6 and my experience with the nature of Realpolitk makes us a perfect combination to lead this country.
Assuming you were to utilize your Lean on the National Council, what action would you like to see performed, with what verdict?
If we were to Lean on the National Council, we would likely seek to change Term Limits on the Presidency. That is of course, IF we were to Lean. The current President intends not to use such methods to influence the NC.
We would never lean on the National Council unless they specifically requested for it. However, in a theoretical case in which I were to I would ask them to overturn Council Term Limits if they had been passed. I believe that not allowing Councillors to run for multiple terms would greatly limit our democracy and thus I would oppose that sort of action.[/Quote]
If this election were to end in an Electoral Tie, would you be open to a negotiated settlement with your opponent that left you as the Opposition Leader rather than the President, or is your heart set on the big job?

Potentially. It will depend on the situation.
I would be open to all possibilities in negotiation with our opponents in that situation.

Analysis: This agreement between the National Ummah and Good Faith Party comes out of left field, and is quite surprising. Without the GFP's support, Aswad al Tahrir's path to victory is slim, at best. In fact, slim is a rather optimistic word. However, they have a real chance of making change via the National Council in the midterms should they lose, especially in light of the National Ummah's pledge not to field or endorse a candidate.

Electoral Prediction:
At this stage, 27 hours from election lock, we here at the Realpolitik Reporter feel safe in saying the National Ummah have a solid 80% chance of victory. However, Aswad al Tahrir still has a 20% chance of forcing an electoral tie or pulling ahead some other way.

The election will lock at 5PM EST Friday, January 27. Read the Realpolitik Reporter for continuing election coverage until the announcement of the results!

~Our Founder: Lighthearter[/quote]

I will Abstain too.

The Mu'tazilite Party

We commend the National Ummah for their vow to preserve the integrity of the National Council and not interfere unduly with their inner workings. This declaration by the presidential candidate Celticfury has shown to the entire Arabian Nation and even the entire known world that a balance of power both within the individual and the party as well as in the coalition and nation is inevitable and unnegotiable. Any party or organisation that tries to compromise this tenet of our society is bound to either repent or perish!

Without commenting on the results of the election, I can say that the Mu'tazilites will always work to make sure the system of democracy within our nation remains rock-solid and that anyone who wishes to have a voice in the way things are run will be heard. We will not bulge from our defence of the republic no matter which side of the aisle we're sitting on and we will seek to establish a healthy opposition, an independent National Council and a continuation of the marriage of reason and faith, which is a pillar of our very society.

Let the will of the people be known and remember that we are all working for the good of Arabia and her continued domination of these lands.

I am founding the Jewish Party of Arabia. Our great country is chosen by God to amass wealth, and will do everything to fill our coffers. Our party supports trade, settling near luxuries that give gold and pillaging. We will aim to get Judaism accepted as the state religion of Arabia and take beliefs that give gold.

Having voted, Dem Taqat Quietly leaves the polling place, and goes down to the waterfront where a number of colleagues plan to debate the purpose of the National Council over dinner. For whom they voted they will not say, but few feel any need to ask, given the circumstances.

DT

Vote CMP, PPP

THE REALPOLITIK REPORTER: FRIDAY, JAN 27, 3040BC

BREAKING: ELECTORAL TIE!!

Ninjacow/Muhabir - Aswad al Tahrir(HA/TMP) : 9(41%)
Spoiler :
HA: 4
TMP: 5

Celticfury/Patchy - The National Ummah(PPP/CMP/ASP) : 9(41%)
Spoiler :
CMP: 3
PPP: 4
ASP: 2

GFP: 0
JPA: 0

Secret Vote Total: 4

Coalition colors assigned randomly. If you would like to request a different color for your Coalition, I would be happy to comply .

IN A STUNNING twist, this election has come down to a 9-9 electoral tie between both Coalitions! Out of 22 votes cast, each has 41% of the electoral vote. Who is President? Who is Opposition Leader?

Negotiations will commence shortly. If a decision has not been reached by Sunday morning, the election will be RNG'd.

Last edited:
While the Good Faith Party appreciates that it may be best to discuss matters in private first, we nevertheless feel like the populace should be informed about said matters as swiftly as possible. As such, we call upon the coalition leaders to keep us updated about the negotiations, as well as their results.

The candidates should make public announcements shortly. However, I am pleased to announce the success of a negotiated settlement.

Hail President Celticfury! Congratulations to the National Ummah!

Turnset plan due by 10AM Saturday morning, EST.

Muhabir is Opposition Leader. Any who state in bold they are joining the Opposition may nominate themselves as Opposition Leader or vote if someone else does, but holding an election will cost the Opposition it's action for the Inaugural.

Last edited:
I accept the results of the victory, and will begin developing a plan for the nation's direction soon.

As per the negotiations, the Administration will abide by the following provisions;
1) The Hashashin will be accepted into the National Ummah coalition.
2) Should a religion be formed, Islam shall be chosen as the religion.
3) Should the Hashashin seek entry into the National Council, the coalition will support them above any other coalition candidate. However, no Endorsements or other official Administrative actions will be used to influence the election.

I'm sure that I speak for many in our nation when I ask: how did the first provision came into being?

I'm sure that I speak for many in our nation when I ask: how did the first provision came into being?
Life is easy when you do the real life eqequivalent of rolling a natural 20 on Diplomacy. :p

My Vice-Presidential made promises to neutral parties that I did not want to keep in exchange for their votes without consulting me or the rest of the coalition. Not only was this a severe breach of trust that made me completely dissatisfied with the groups that currently identify as opposition, it would force me in a position where I would have to keep promises that I did not even make or agree with as President. Dissatisfied with the direction of the opposition and in a position that even as Opposition Leader I felt like I would have little influence over opposition affairs, I feel that joining the government is a better opportunity to influence our nation.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, I accept the election results and officially join the National Ummah.

Last edited:
The Mu'tazilite Party

We deeply regret our current Vice-President's reported lack of trust in our party and the initiative I took personally for the felicity of the Arabian Nation. However, it should be noted that his very standing as Vice-President also has its roots in such initiative, which was paramount to creating the electoral tie in the previous elections. The fact that he would join forces with the very coalition we vowed to curtail, despite me explaining to him personally the circumstances behind the negotiations with these third parties without any room for doubt as to their good will and intent speaks, in my opinion more of his personal desire for power than any breach of trust that would warrant dissatisfaction on our part. Still, it is fully within his rights and powers as a duly elected representative of the people to use their mandate as he sees fit. Just as it will be fully within the rights, powers and even duties of the said people to hold him, and for that matter, any elected official accountable for their use of such mandate.

We do not know what events took place during the negotiations, as we have only the results and a few murky remarks from members of the administration to base our understanding of them on, despite the Good Faith Party's rightful call for transparency during the negotiations. But the said results make one thing very clear: We are in the Opposition. While I have been declared the acting Opposition Leader, which was justified in light of the Mu'tazilite Party being the party with the single largest share of the vote, I will nonetheless be welcoming of any nominations for Opposition Leader. However, I would still like to point out that our actions as the Opposition are very much limited and negotiating a private settlement could be preferable to wasting one on an election.

As the acting leader of the Opposition, I strongly favour Laying Opposition Groundwork as we don't have a lot to do at the moment and this will allow us to act more swiftly in the Midterm Elections which are crucial at this stage. We will also make use of our free Adjust Opposition Strength action once a sufficient segment of the electorate has declared their support for us. All of these will, however, be discussed with the Opposition at large first before being put to action if I do indeed become the Opposition Leader. The channels required for such discussions are to be created as soon as possible.

Let the Arabian People rest assured that we will do everything our powers permit to hold the administration accountable for their actions and will furthermore aim to make sure our own actions are supervised by outside forces as well.

Top Bottom